Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Why do so many people believe that if McGregor gets knocked out one more time, he will retire and stay retired from fighting? What single fact about the history of combat sports in general or Conor McGregor specifically has led people to believe this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Do you think this knockout will magically be the time he finally stops being a draw, or do you think some mysterious benefactor will fund McGregor's cocaine and legal funds to protect his health?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

You might find it is actually very easy to open up your purse strings, when that purse contains a fake largely unusable currency that you invented and can generate at will

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It would hardly be the first time in combat sports history that a promotion lined an official's pocket for something, but I think if the UFC were in the habit of fixing refs, then a lot of fights would have gone differently at a lot of different times in UFC history.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'll always be disappointed that Conor knocked Aldo out cold with the first punch instead of it being an actual nitty gritty fight. Aldo was a monster, and in another universe, that fight's a barnburner that Aldo could have definitely won.

Conor was legitimately great at his best and his performance against Alvarez was among the best performances in UFC history.

He's past his prime now and spent most of it chasing Mayweather, more money and trying to fight Pacquiao, who unless Pacquiao suddenly aged 30 years in the ring, Conor wouldn't seriously touch and would end up like Ricky Hatton in the centre of the ring. He's not "was always bad", by any means. He's just not elite anymore.

Alvarez was also his only impressive performance north of featherweight. I think Conor is a world class striker, with some good/underrated defensive grappling augmented by blatant cheating, but I also think he benefitted greatly from a huge weight cut and being much bigger and rangier than his opponents during his meteoric rise. His decline obviously coincided with drug/legal problems and lack of serious training as you said and obviously those things also contributed to the end of his prime, but I think the size change had a big role as well and that gets overshadowed in the narrative these days.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Conor wants to be a heel so bad, and yet his own heel shattered under mysterious circumstances. Sad.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Khabib is actually a very cool guy, so long as you do not recognize the autonomy of Crimea or his wife

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It is kind of cool that the universe let us see what would have happened had Jon Jones gotten the career trajectory he deserved, but it kind of sucks that it still involves him being rich, famous and popular beyond his wildest dreams and largely shielded from the consequences of his worst action

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I hope his motorised chair has spinner rims and a gold plated joystick.

Twat.

Magneto wears his helmet not to remain undetected by Cerebro, but because Professor X won't stop psychically sending him death threats toward Scarlet Witch or making empty promises to donate to the Holocaust Memorial Fund

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Nierbo posted:

Conor's doctor looking at the xray:  wanna tell me, what you see, lets go ahead and see it by the fight, what you saw, in the ring.

I was on Amazon to buy a head mirror for a costume the other day, and was curious why the "people also buy" section included a Ford F150 drive belt.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't know poo poo about Ariel which is why it's Dana who comes off bad to me in the story about how Dana couldn't be a normal person and be in the same building.

Edit: I googled how much he was making at ESPN. They both seem like idiots now.

$500,000 is a good salary by any reasonable standard, but it's considerably low for an ESPN broadcaster with name value. Obviously he has been around a lot longer and covers real sports so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but Stephen A. Smith makes $8 mil for example.

And then ESPN offered Ariel a paycut to re-sign after his third year. His coverage was perfectly fine and exactly what anyone would have reasonably expected it to be, so I don't think it is a case of him not being worth his original salary. So, in summation,

kimbo305 posted:

He is the dork that he’s always come across as, but the treatment by ESPN on Dana’s behalf is definitely lovely, and he has the right to be upset by it even if he claims he isn’t.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

"If this was a different time, I'd invade his favela on horseback!"

"That time didn't count though, we had dengue fever!"

"Well my horse had tree broken legs and da kossacks and da mongols knew and dey did fookin nootin!"

"Sure but Vitor had a barbecue and served bad goat"

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Dana just de-leveled his class

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

e: jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I don't know much about Weidman's habits outside the ring. He's always come off pretty disciplined with training.
Is this implying he messed up his PT/recovery somehow?

He is historically very injury prone, in and out of the cage.