Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I would also like him to go away, but in terms of divisional relevance y'all are talking like they wouldn't make a Fight Night Ireland main event between Conor McGregor and Longtime Veteran And Perennial Contender #38-ranked Johnathan "The Bull" Makdessi and give Conor a title shot after because the Old Conor is back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It's really hard to say "the UFC was less lovely towards its fighters back in the old days" when people were getting threatened with termination if they didn't fight with crippling injuries, and yet, somehow, they keep finding ways

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://vine.co/v/ODpVamupXA5

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

i'm glad conor mcgregor agrees conor mcgregor never beat nate diaz

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Shirkelton posted:

If I remember correctly, Conor and Artem both ended up with six month medical suspensions due to the leg kicks they threw against Nate and Avila at 202.

That camp's just dogshit.

Kavanaugh, himself, seems like a very solid coach, but SBG as a whole seems actively detrimental.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Shirkelton posted:

Does he? Based on what?

When he's not attached to Conor's bullshit antics his breakdowns of fights are very clear and levelheaded, to the point that he's already done an interview breaking down where and how Conor hosed up and injured his leg by screwing up his own techniques, and before these godforsaken days Kavanagh was mostly known for being Gunnar Nelson's head coach and he did a bang-up job with him.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Shirkelton posted:

As part of that interview he said the fight was going well and he expected Conor to finish Dustin in the next round, he also said that Conor was defending well while on the floor, that's the furthest thing from an honest interpretation of that round you can get.

Dude's still a coach and his job is to unreasonably believe in his fighter, being able to do that while still saying 'here are the technique mistakes that broke his leg' is a step up in honesty from basically every MMA coach not named Trevor Wittman

Shirkelton posted:

People bring this up a lot, but I can't name a single fighter Kavanagh's coached who has got better under his leadership

I mean, Nelson DID train exclusively under Kavanagh and moved out of exclusivity when his success blew him up and Kavanagh got busier with SBG exploding, so you actually already named one, but otherwise, Amirkhani has grown pretty well under him and Brad Katona was looking good until he ran into the Merab wall.

CommonShore posted:

His fighters mostly lose fights.

I agree, hence my original point of

CarlCX posted:

Kavanaugh, himself, seems like a very solid coach, but SBG as a whole seems actively detrimental.

Kavanagh isn't Edmond, he does have some actual observable success outside of just Conor, but once your roster is bigger than five or six people just having a decent head coach isn't enough anymore and having a superstar blow up your camp is almost always going to make everything much worse. SBG is extremely clearly an environment that is not massively helpful to its fighters right now.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Nis posted:

i'd never heard anyone say that before - kiss my whole rear end in a top hat was great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31GjRnXfUjo&t=21s

dustin is a student of history

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The whole "it's so terrible to celebrate a fighter getting injured" thing is completely loving insane anyway because every single person saying it has at some point cheered raucously after Reginald "The Baby Pitbull Assassin" Cetera got kicked in the head so hard he woke up four days later with 40% of his paycheck gone and no idea where he was born

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I feel like after spending his entire career trying to do his best at performatively not giving a gently caress, running into a guy like Khabib who genuinely does not give a gently caress and will flying dropkick his way into your entire entourage broke Conor's brain and now he think she has to go full Scarface to make up for it.

that and, y'know, cocaine

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

henkman posted:

Yeah I was gonna say khabib is also a lovely person but people love him for his borat schtick

oh yeah, he also sucks rear end, let no endorsement of his person be intimated by my appreciation for him breaking conor's mind

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, it's ultimately not that uncommon to see a standardbearer get their rear end beat, but it's extremely uncommon to see a standardbearer get their rear end beat so thoroughly and comprehensively that you realize you're looking at a fighter you've seen wreck people for years and thinking "you could re-run this fight a hundred times and they'd never stand a loving chance." That Franklin/Silva, Jones/Shogun kind of poo poo where someone who's been on top long enough to be associated with the concept of the top itself looks like they don't even belong in the ring.

It is incredible to watch in any circumstance, and Dillashaw doing it by shuffle-dancing and throwing fourteen-punch combos just made it better.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Only Hector Lombard could write a callout post about someone messing with his girlfriend where he has to bring up and summarily dismiss that he was already cheating on her as a background detail.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

that orlando sanchez thing actually was a dick move, they're doing some light grapple-sparring and just sort of half-heartedly locking up and sanchez just suddenly jon jones elbow cranks him

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I mean, the entire MMA world decided Aljo was a stupid lovely faking loser who sucks the literal moment he decided he couldn't continue, including Yan, so at a certain point why would you try to play it off nicely when everyone including the dude whose fault it is that you have the belt has already made up their mind

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1420794421528911874

but dana promised me covid wasn't a problem anymore

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

really committing to her legacy as the canonically correct trivia answer to "who was the worst UFC champion"

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I think it's a better matchup for Gaethje than Chandler but either way it should be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1421533349462614017

rani yahya has covid and either gooden or stolze has covid and this is all very, very silly