Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

freebooter posted:

It's less effective against Delta, which is basically the same as saying it's less effective against COVID, because that's going to become the dominant strain globally by the of the year. (Unless an even worse one crops up!)

But I'd assume the reason the AHPPC wants to drop it is because its name is mud. Jeanette Young basically gave it a coup de grace the other day. It doesn't matter how good your vaccine may or may not be if nobody wants to take it.

I get what you're saying, but isn't "less effective" still better than none?

I guess for me the determinant factor is how much supply we've got on the horizon, when it's due to arrive, and whether or not we'll have enough to go around. Like I don't understand why right at this moment, given the situation, we can't go "hey old folks, if you caught COVID, odds are you will die. Please take this vaccine that may not be perfect against this variety of COVID, but is substantially better than you catching COVID without any vaccination".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

froglet posted:

Oh sure, and in the future there might be another variant that AZ is better for than PZ/J&J. Possibly.

But then there's people who already had AZ, or the studies that show that the mRNA-type stuff doesn't do poo poo in people who are immunocompromised/suppressed but AZ does because it's dead-virus-type and aaaaaaaaaaaa

gently caress you scott

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

froglet posted:

I guess for me the determinant factor is how much supply we've got on the horizon, when it's due to arrive, and whether or not we'll have enough to go around. Like I don't understand why right at this moment, given the situation, we can't go "hey old folks, if you caught COVID, odds are you will die. Please take this vaccine that may not be perfect against this variety of COVID, but is substantially better than you catching COVID without any vaccination".

Yes, but given the supply constraints I guess a lot of people worry that getting AZ now means they'll go to the back of the queue for a Pfizer booster later, and be walking around with AZ only while Australia opens up and floods itself with Delta. Or at least that's my personal concern. Anecdotally I know a lot of boomers are worried about the blood clots.

kirbysuperstar posted:

But then there's people who already had AZ, or the studies that show that the mRNA-type stuff doesn't do poo poo in people who are immunocompromised/suppressed but AZ does because it's dead-virus-type and aaaaaaaaaaaa

For real? I haven't heard of that but my partner is immunocompromised and she's shortly getting her second Pfizer...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

freebooter posted:

For real? I haven't heard of that but my partner is immunocompromised and she's shortly getting her second Pfizer...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/05/18/immunocompromised-coronavirus-vaccines-response/

I haven't been following it since, and it might be different for different levels of immunosuppresion etc

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

freebooter posted:

Anecdotally I know a lot of boomers are worried about the blood clots.

Anecdotally you're a loving idiot and not no one should be taking your advice. If anyone's already got one jab of AZ and are scheduled for the 2nd, they should get it rather than waiting for some unspecified time for something else to be available, maybe, in the future, at some point. Because COVID is running around out of the LNP's control in NSW still, despite their attempted lockdown.

You should be more worried about getting a potentially life lone chronic disease from COVID than a blood clot.

Next thing you'll be worrying about taking the Polio vaccine.

quote:

The CDC has estimated that the overall dose-related incidence of paralytic disease is 1 case per 520,000 first doses administered versus 1 case per 12.3 million subsequent doses administered (Nkowane et al., 1987).

No one worries about THAT as much as freebooter is worrying about AZ!

Comstar fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 3, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Thank you Dr Comstar

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I’m glad we have such a wealth of expert knowledge in auspol, although it does make me question why we even need bodies like the AHPPC and ATAGI. Abolish them and just give premiers a copy of the monthly word cloud as their public health advice.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’m glad we have such a wealth of expert knowledge in auspol, although it does make me question why we even need bodies like the AHPPC and ATAGI. Abolish them and just give premiers a copy of the monthly word cloud as their public health advice.

look I’d run with that over brendan murphy

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
To make up for calling that poo poo out

Honest Government Ad | We Make Everything Good Sh!t
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uXo7wtGW7M

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

DRINK ME posted:

I was reading about the car park grants and then going back to read about the sports grants that I mostly missed the first time around. Surely someone in the prime minister’s office has started a spreadsheet for hospitals and vaccine distribution centres in electorates they want to target.
For the cost of the carparks they could have funded Pfizer x2 for almost everyone in Australia.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

word cloud

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Comstar posted:

You should be more worried about getting a potentially life lone chronic disease from COVID than a blood clot.

Nah not really barely anyone in this country has had covid. Keep lashing out though lol.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

Nah not really barely anyone in this country has had covid. Keep lashing out though lol.

embrace cspam thought

ehhhhhh
May 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

froglet posted:

tl;dr - by allowing this family to return while covid-positive but not others, the government has set a double-standard.

This case wasn't unique. Media reporting mentioned that other states have been doing the same thing. They would have approved flights in from India under the same circumstances but reasonably affordable private aircraft are too small to travel that far.

So there's really no point in getting wound up over particular cases, especially when the whole world is basically asleep at the wheel. Just because we don't hear every detail of every decision in the media isn't surprising. The media has a way of naturally encouraging speculation by not investigating thoroughly or reporting context and sensationalising everything to generate clicks.

Australia is still in the spectacularly lucky situation that we have demonstrated elimination of the virus. It really doesn't matter whether the R number is 1 or 1.5 or 2.0, the same strategy is appropriate and effective. We have learned the hard way that maintaining effective quarantine is of paramount importance. Fortunately, this is not something we leave up to each individual, it is entirely a government responsibility.

Appropriately managed quarantine and border restrictions, high rates of testing in the community, and social acceptance and compliance with lockdowns where they become necessary has been what has demonstrated effectiveness in neutralising spread. Individual actions such as mask wearing, social distancing and even by the looks of it vaccination pale in comparison.

Who knows how our societies will ultimately adjust to these new parameters. If the whole world could have organised themselves according to these basic principles this never would have happened in the first place. Not saying they would have done so in time necessarily. Or what they should do now.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

JBP posted:

There has been exactly TWO people who may have died from AZ. The belief in being an anti-vaxer is like being a climate denier.

quote:

31 have been discharged from hospital and are recovering, with some receiving ongoing outpatient medical care
15 patients remain in hospital, including one who remains critically ill in intensive care
two people have died in hospital

Compared to Covid Cases 30,734 +15 Recovered and 910 Deaths.

So you go on being a covid denier then. I can't stop you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Comstar posted:

There has been exactly TWO people who may have died from AZ. The belief in being an anti-vaxer is like being a climate denier.

Lol a covid denier. 0.1% of the population have had covid. If you want the poo poo vax go get it and shut the gently caress up about other people making decisions based on real advice, rather than your usual freakout poo poo.

My expert recommendation is to just get Pfizer in the coming months because it's a better product.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
All medical advice = get phizer.

ScoMo talking out his arse = get AZ

Comstar please, you're making me agree with JBP here!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Comstar posted:

Imagine being this much of a ScoMo stan

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

How long before ComStar starts spruiking for clean coal and gas as a transition energy?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
known antivaxxer position, listening to the advice of peak medical bodies

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

ComStar, if this were a decision made on legitimate public health grounds do you think:

The PM/Health Minister/CMO might have treated it as a key part of the announceables coming out of national cabinet, rather than stumbling across it in response to a question about GO indemnity?

Do you think ATAGI might come out in support of it, especially given a week previously they had raised the age recommended for AZ?

Do you think the AHPPC might come out in support, rather than members leaking against it?

All the evidence we have points to us completely rewriting public health policy because the Government refuses to admit that the PM misspoke at a press conference.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
3 positive cases in aged care in NSW lessssgoooo

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

freebooter posted:

My partner is immunosuppressed for rheumatoid arthritis using a TNF-alpha inhibitor and had similar concerns. Both she and I had two doses of Pfizer and then four weeks later had antibodies testing performed. We both had a “normal” response to the vaccine for the antibodies expected, I think IgG? I’m not a doctor, she’s a GP.

She had zero reactions to the doses and was concerned that it wouldn’t have worked but all seems good.

I know, it’s anecdata, but info is hard to come by.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Aware posted:

3 positive cases in aged care in NSW lessssgoooo

"Three residents at a Sydney aged care home where a worker tested positive for COVID-19 last week have contracted the virus.

Two of the residents are fully vaccinated.

"With 96 per cent of our 149 residents vaccinated and the measures we are taking to ensure their health and safety, we are confident about the outcome," a spokesperson said."

Given the apparent level of vaccination this doesn't seem panic level?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Did you have to request an antibody test or is that just something they're doing for a selection of recipients?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Tommunist posted:

"Three residents at a Sydney aged care home where a worker tested positive for COVID-19 last week have contracted the virus.

Two of the residents are fully vaccinated.

"With 96 per cent of our 149 residents vaccinated and the measures we are taking to ensure their health and safety, we are confident about the outcome," a spokesperson said."

Given the apparent level of vaccination this doesn't seem panic level?

I can panic if I want to! But having been to the shops twice this lockdown and seeing hundreds of people just milling around chatting each time I honestly don't believe Sydney is doing the right thing at all and we should have a harsher lockdown for at least another week.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Comstar posted:

No one worries about THAT as much as freebooter is worrying about AZ!

At no point did I say I was concerned about blood clots (I'm not) but good to see your reading comprehension is as tip-top as your medical degree

Capt.Whorebags posted:

My partner is immunosuppressed for rheumatoid arthritis using a TNF-alpha inhibitor and had similar concerns. Both she and I had two doses of Pfizer and then four weeks later had antibodies testing performed. We both had a “normal” response to the vaccine for the antibodies expected, I think IgG? I’m not a doctor, she’s a GP.

She had zero reactions to the doses and was concerned that it wouldn’t have worked but all seems good.

I know, it’s anecdata, but info is hard to come by.

Cheers, I'll make sure she talks to her GP about an antibody test. This is the first either of us have heard of any testing or anything done on immunocompromised people, though I did just sort of generally worry that any vaccine wouldn't be as effective. It's what makes me most anxious about a world where we decide that vaccines are good enough and don't try to stamp it out any further than that.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

freebooter posted:

It's what makes me most anxious about a world where we decide that vaccines are good enough and don't try to stamp it out any further than that.

Yeah imagine if every country on earth had just done a proper 6 week lockdown like we did. Literally no more COVID.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Aware posted:

Did you have to request an antibody test or is that just something they're doing for a selection of recipients?

Have to talk to your GP to try and organise it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Artificial Kid posted:

Yeah imagine if every country on earth had just done a proper 6 week lockdown like we did. Literally no more COVID.

Unfortunately there are big chunks of the world where that couldn't happen for practical reasons even if there was political will for it.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

Unfortunately there are big chunks of the world where that couldn't happen for practical reasons even if there was political will for it.

There are, but it wasn't India or Tanzania or Brazil that led it explode globally to the point of no return. It was the complacency of Europe and the US in March 2020.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Vaccine trip report: had a cold this week, returned a negative covid test, mostly over it but still had a cough this morning so when I filled out the check in app details honestly I was not allowed to enter the vaccination clinic.

Thanks for your honesty! Next available appointment is in September.

Awesome.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

https://junkee.com/scott-morrison-spotify/300320

Someone found Scomos spotify account and its got some gold in there.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Laserface posted:

https://junkee.com/scott-morrison-spotify/300320

Someone found Scomos spotify account and its got some gold in there.

Hilarious. Really funny stuff.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Scott Morrison mislabeled a song he's going down we loving got him.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

Scott Morrison mislabeled a song he's going down we loving got him.

I’d like to see him wriggle his way out of this one

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Who could possibly give a gently caress what Scott Morrison listens to?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Scummo can listened to anything he wants, so long as I never have to listen to him.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Scott Morrison listens to Death Grips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Feels like Sydney is adamant to stick to the "gently caress around" strategy