Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Anidav posted:

Scott Morrison listens to Death Grips

it goes it goes it goes it goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

freebooter posted:

Yes, but given the supply constraints I guess a lot of people worry that getting AZ now means they'll go to the back of the queue for a Pfizer booster later, and be walking around with AZ only while Australia opens up and floods itself with Delta. Or at least that's my personal concern. Anecdotally I know a lot of boomers are worried about the blood clots.

Even if we get to 90% vaxxed we aren't gonna drop all restrictions completely because of the people who can't get vaxxed and you can still shed and spread virus even when fully vaxxed.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Spookydonut posted:

Even if we get to 90% vaxxed we aren't gonna drop all restrictions completely because of the people who can't get vaxxed and you can still shed and spread virus even when fully vaxxed.

The federal government is absolutely going to say gently caress you let er rip to anyone who permanently can’t get vaccinated. States might be a bit less death culty but I wouldn’t put money on it

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

The federal government is absolutely going to say gently caress you let er rip to anyone who permanently can’t get vaccinated. States might be a bit less death culty but I wouldn’t put money on it

and then just like that, in a few months, australia was 100% vaccinated!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Spookydonut posted:

The government has said the final phase of the plan will be "everything back to normal," COVID gets treated like any other disease. They haven't put a vaccination threshhold number on that but I highly doubt it will be 100%.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.
The problem with the Scott Morrison Spotify story is that even his "surprising" picks are not that surprising. Oh no, he put a song from 1992 in a playlist for songs from the seventies, drat, call a spill right now. It would have been more entertaining if we found out he listens to Death in June.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sierra Madre posted:

The problem with the Scott Morrison Spotify story is that even his "surprising" picks are not that surprising. Oh no, he put a song from 1992 in a playlist for songs from the seventies, drat, call a spill right now. It would have been more entertaining if we found out he listens to Death in June.

It was more funny to me that he listens to Midnight Oil

also country chill and 'how good is oz rock by scomo'

and seeing all the fuckin hillsong youth artists that dress like they just walked off the set of a Target catalog shoot.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Wheezle posted:

Who could possibly give a gently caress what Scott Morrison listens to?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Spookydonut posted:

Give it a year or two and covid will be like the flu, sweeping the world killing 300,000-600,000 people annually. Health experts will implore people to get the yearly vaccine and to stay home from work, wash their hands, yada yada yada. But most people will forget to get the vaccine, or outright refuse, or be too poor (time or moneywise) to get it. They'll sneeze right in your face on the bus, or go to work dripping with sweat and with a fever because they don't have any sick days left.

And just like that, it'll be 1 million people annually dying from what we have proven are containable, treatable, possibly eradicable diseases, people whose cause of death will be an afterthought.

My granddad died from complications due to the flu a few years before covid, because an acquaintance visited him whilst ill, because he didn't think it was such a big deal. And I think he would have said that humans aren't evil, or stupid, just lazy and boorish, and whilst his death was entirely preventable, in a fallible human world it was entirely predictable and inevitable.

Or maybe we'll get lucky/unlucky and some other SARS strain, or another ebola will mutate and start rapidly jumping around, and like portions of SEA we'll actually take health seriously, mask up when sick and stay home from work.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Konomex posted:

Give it a year or two and covid will be like the flu, sweeping the world killing 300,000-600,000 people annually. Health experts will implore people to get the yearly vaccine and to stay home from work, wash their hands, yada yada yada. But most people will forget to get the vaccine, or outright refuse, or be too poor (time or moneywise) to get it. They'll sneeze right in your face on the bus, or go to work dripping with sweat and with a fever because they don't have any sick days left.

And just like that, it'll be 1 million people annually dying from what we have proven are containable, treatable, possibly eradicable diseases, people whose cause of death will be an afterthought.

My granddad died from complications due to the flu a few years before covid, because an acquaintance visited him whilst ill, because he didn't think it was such a big deal. And I think he would have said that humans aren't evil, or stupid, just lazy and boorish, and whilst his death was entirely preventable, in a fallible human world it was entirely predictable and inevitable.

Or maybe we'll get lucky/unlucky and some other SARS strain, or another ebola will mutate and start rapidly jumping around, and like portions of SEA we'll actually take health seriously, mask up when sick and stay home from work.

Yeah it never quite hit home just how preventable flu deaths are until last year's basically non-existent flu season. Imagine if every winter we didn't go to work when sick, wore masks out when sick or even just in crowded environments like public transport, washed our hands properly and didn't stand right up close to strangers unnecessarily.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
My favourite flu fact is that zoonotic transmition of viral infection was discovered when a ferret who had the flu sneezed in a scientists mouth while he was moving it between cages in like the twenties

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 5, 2021

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Konomex posted:

That really sucks about your grandad, Konomex.

Organza Quiz posted:

Yeah it never quite hit home just how preventable flu deaths are until last year's basically non-existent flu season. Imagine if every winter we didn't go to work when sick, wore masks out when sick or even just in crowded environments like public transport, washed our hands properly and didn't stand right up close to strangers unnecessarily.

... And getting your seasonal flu shot was a cultural norm that was supported and encouraged by your friends, family, employer, etc.

I personally reckon the majority of vaccinations should be free for everyone (right now flu shots are $15-$20, you can get them for free if you meet certain criteria but I'm not sure what those are besides being over a certain age). That and people should get an extra paid day or two of annual leave for getting a vaccination as a way of encouraging uptake. Public health is important!

Seriously, folks, something almost everyone can do right now (finances/lockdown situation permitting, of course) is get their flu shot. Getting your COVID shot is no barrier - you can get a flu shot 7 days before, or 7 days after getting either COVID dose.

While I'm on a roll: The shot you get for tetanus also protects against whooping cough and diphtheria, and it wears off, so you need to get it re-done every ~10-ish years. Whooping cough is bloody frightening, and getting the shot is worth doing even if you personally hate kids and have no plans on being near them. Adults can and do get whooping cough, and from what I gather they either get super mild symptoms or the experience leaves them with a deep understanding of how it kills off children and old people. I was going to share a link here of what it's like to get a bad case of whooping cough as an adult and... It's distressing and I don't think now is a good time to share that sort of thing, so look it up yourself if you're curious. Don't look it up if you find that sort of thing upsetting.

(Note: I paid $50 for the tetanus booster, obviously that's not affordable for everyone, but hey it's worth mentioning and it's good to mention to anyone here who's either a rich gently caress or lives/works with babies/olds).

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, I'm some random on the internet, I just read up on this stuff recently coz I got a flu shot and the tetanus booster at the same time coz hey if in the middle of a pandemic isn't a good time, when is?

froglet fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 5, 2021

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

froglet posted:

(Note: I paid $50 for the tetanus booster, obviously that's not affordable for everyone, but hey it's worth mentioning and it's good to mention to anyone here who's either a rich gently caress or lives/works with babies/olds).

I paid $50 for mine, however I got mine on a Sunday at an after hours clinic after stepping on a rusty nail.

Not all tetanus boosters have the whooping cough vaccine, they would have given me the standard one for free but then I would have needed the whooping cough vaccine shortly after for my impending child. Apparently that one does *not* come separately and it's not recommended to get two tetanus shots in 6mo.

I later found out that the tetanus vaccine does not work prophylactically, and the whole "step on a nail and get your booster" thing is just a trick to get people to actually bother getting a booster.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The Peccadillo posted:

My favourite flu fact is that zoonotic transmition of viral infection was discovered when a ferret who had the flu sneezed in a scientists mouth while he was moving it between cages in like the twenties

Wow, rude!

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

I’m sorry, but the playlist articles is the click bait I engage in most!

I’d say it has a lot to do with Obama, like he still makes playlists that get some notoriety. Difference was Obama had cool bands play his campaign tour willingly. Not your old presidents who probably listen to yacht rock or Trump who playing Born in the USA with Springsteen then threatening to push charges for improper use.

It doesn’t work with Scotty because his relatability is your typical Triple M/WSFM programming, with Midnight Oil as his left field. Even his classical playlist doesn’t really do much with variations. I guess this never meant to be public.

Make me think Albo should get back into DJing for his campaign trail instead of showing face every record store day.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Spookydonut posted:

We absolutely will.

There's loads of immuno-comprimised people living in a society with influenza, measles, HIV, etc etc. They'll shield and protect themselves as best they can, and the community will move on with life as normal.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

woofbro posted:

I’m sorry, but the playlist articles is the click bait I engage in most!

I’d say it has a lot to do with Obama, like he still makes playlists that get some notoriety. Difference was Obama had cool bands play his campaign tour willingly. Not your old presidents who probably listen to yacht rock or Trump who playing Born in the USA with Springsteen then threatening to push charges for improper use.

It doesn’t work with Scotty because his relatability is your typical Triple M/WSFM programming, with Midnight Oil as his left field. Even his classical playlist doesn’t really do much with variations. I guess this never meant to be public.

Make me think Albo should get back into DJing for his campaign trail instead of showing face every record store day.

Dont you dare speak another bad word of yacht rock

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Organza Quiz posted:

Imagine if every winter we didn't go to work when sick

There's no such thing as a sick day for an office job anymore, which has been kinda hosed/funny to see

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

The Peccadillo posted:

There's no such thing as a sick day for an office job anymore, which has been kinda hosed/funny to see

can you explain further for a rough hands like me? Like surely you still need time off work to see a doctor or sometimes you'll just be actually too sick to do any work surely?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

If you're well enough to write the message to say you can't come in you're well enough to read and reply to emails and go to meetings or do nerd poo poo, you ain't swinging a tool

I should specify that that I believe that is hosed, and it should gently caress off

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 6, 2021

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I literally just text my boss and say 'not comin in today' and he says "OK"

as long as its not a friday, monday, or two days in a row, he doesnt ask for a docs cert

I have a reasonably good relationship with my boss.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I got my mum to ring my boss and tell them i was going in for surgery and wasnt sure when i would be back, work was pretty cool with that

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Badass

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

can you explain further for a rough hands like me? Like surely you still need time off work to see a doctor or sometimes you'll just be actually too sick to do any work surely?

I'm in Sydney, and we're in lockdown. Both my kids and my wife have coughs/colds so are at home, and I've been mainly looking after a 3yo and a 6yo, and my wife is mostly in bed sick. She's still working even though she's sick, and I'm still working even though I have two young children to look after, and a wife to partially take care of as well. In a past life I would be taking carer's leave or unpaid leave to look after my family, but now I'm still working because as long as I have an internet connection and can access a computer, I'm expected to be doing my job.

It's pretty hosed

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Most of our sick days at work the last two years have been migraine or RSI related -- too much computer, need day off. I don't think anyone here has actually had a cold or flu in that time.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

The Peccadillo posted:

If you're well enough to write the message to say you can't come in you're well enough to read and reply to emails and go to meetings or do nerd poo poo, you ain't swinging a tool

I should specify that that I believe that is hosed, and it should gently caress off

My employer is supportive of me being able to make the call between "can work, don't want to risk infecting anyone else" and "can't work". Unfortunately this definitely seems to be the exception and theres a fuckton of middle manager syndrome out there.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

My workplace is awful about working while sick. We pretty much all work remote and people basically never take sick leave and will instead take a morning off and then work midday to midnight or something mental like that "to make up for it" despite clearly being really unwell or in a lot of pain.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

My fave is getting sent home for coughing too much and then getting in trouble for not having a doctors certificate to make that a valid sick day.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
One of my first workplaces would shuffle staff to cover you for a sick day, so we didn't actually need to take sick days half the time. My last workplace demanded a full on doctors note for a sick day, gently caress resting up, go spread those germs. My current workplace, after COVID, is a lot happier to just wave their hands and accept me at my word that I'm sick.

Meanwhile in work-labor relations policy, Iceland has moved 86% of their workforce to either actively working 4 days a week, or eligible to work 4 days a week. Happiness and productivity are up. How do we make this a reality in Australia? ABC news article.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pwnstar posted:

My fave is getting sent home for coughing too much and then getting in trouble for not having a doctors certificate to make that a valid sick day.

Sick days need to loving change. Either make a doctor's certificate available online or via phone consultation or, preferably, if your staff say they're sick, believe them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My experience has been bosses not believing I'm well and telling me to take another couple of days off.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

When I worked as a croupier at the casino 15 years ago, they had rules requiring a doctors certificate for taking a shift off sick if it was either side of a weekend. I was working night shift at the time, work up in the afternoon and was feeling really rough, including needing to sneeze every minute or two.

gently caress finding a clinic to go to late in the day and spreading my germs everywhere just for them to confirm I had a cold and then having to pay for it. I just went into work instead, and once on the table informed the supervisor I needed the box of tissues left next to my table.

After about half an hour and half a box of tissues they decided I actually didn't need the certificate to have the night off. Cost me less time than going to the doctor.

Konomex posted:

One of my first workplaces would shuffle staff to cover you for a sick day, so we didn't actually need to take sick days half the time. My last workplace demanded a full on doctors note for a sick day, gently caress resting up, go spread those germs. My current workplace, after COVID, is a lot happier to just wave their hands and accept me at my word that I'm sick.

Meanwhile in work-labor relations policy, Iceland has moved 86% of their workforce to either actively working 4 days a week, or eligible to work 4 days a week. Happiness and productivity are up. How do we make this a reality in Australia? ABC news article.

My workplace moved to 4 day weeks and they are amazing. Do recommend.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Senor Tron posted:

My workplace moved to 4 day weeks and they are amazing. Do recommend.

I've been doing 9½ hour/4 day weeks for the last couple years now and it still feels like a holiday every week.

I literally cannot overstate the benefit to my mental wellbeing from having three days in a row.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've been doing 9½ hour/4 day weeks for the last couple years now and it still feels like a holiday every week.

I literally cannot overstate the benefit to my mental wellbeing from having three days in a row.

Now imagine just having to do 8 hours days instead

Bring it on imo

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Guardian posted:

The New South Wales health department says “an error” resulted in 163 year 12 students at one of Sydney’s most expensive private schools being given the Pfizer vaccine.

St Joseph’s College in Sydney’s lower north shore confirmed on Tuesday that more than 160 students received their first dose of the vaccine after the state’s health department approved the school’s request.

The school said it was given the go-ahead for the vaccines in May because its boarding school population included Indigenous students and students from remote and regional communities.

lol wtf

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I've done 10-hour days 4 days a week for a while and honestly preferred 8 hours a day for five days a week, though if you have a long commute I can see the 10/4 mix being preferable.

But yes bring on the 4-day 8-hour week (except for people like me who get paid by the hour)

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

lmao, sure, an "error"

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The error is that the media found out about it

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The error was the indigenous kids got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

lmaoing remembering when the pm said “it’s not a race” regarding the vaccine rollout