Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Spookydonut posted:

Even if we get to 90% vaxxed we aren't gonna drop all restrictions completely because of the people who can't get vaxxed and you can still shed and spread virus even when fully vaxxed.

We absolutely will.

There's loads of immuno-comprimised people living in a society with influenza, measles, HIV, etc etc. They'll shield and protect themselves as best they can, and the community will move on with life as normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
We're going to have vaccine requirements to enter venues, licensed premises etc soon and it's going to be glorious.

"I'm only getting the jab so I can do the pokies, its all bullshit"
'sounds good grandma, now roll up your sleeve'

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
yeah they are, and no one can blame them anymore.

Melbournites have been told we'll still be in these restrictions until we hit 80% double dosed. which is early November, or very late October.

That's a minimum of another 8 weeks of no work for some (like me), no seeing family etc.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Anidav posted:

Who's your favourite politician and what wristwatch do they wear.

Fidel Castro, champion of the workers class, who wore 2 Rolexes on the same wrist, of course.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

freebooter posted:

Given that we're supposedly reopening hospo outdoors in a few weeks, are we, uh, getting those vaccine passports we've heard so much about? Who is even doing it, the feds or the states? (We're going to end up with eight different apps aren't we... plus a ninth federal one which rolls out mid-2022 that nobody uses)

It’s on a per-state basis.

If you want to get a head start, link your Medicare with your myGov if you haven’t already.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

freebooter posted:

The collective feeling here is: eh.

Yep.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Aware posted:

So... let her rip?

We’ll be at 90% double vaccinated by the end of November, there’s not much to let rip on

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Pro tip: unless you know the precise date and place you last used your Medicare card, you will need to go into a Medicare office and ask for a code which allows you to bypass that question when you're trying to link your accounts.

They let you do this now on the phone, thankfully.

Ask me how I know!

(40mins on hold first)

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
From tomorrow, Victoria is no longer a declared hotspot, so:

Childcare fee gaps will no longer be waived,
GP appointment fees will no longer be waived,
federal disaster support will end.

Although it’s still illegal for hundreds of thousands of people to work. So this is going well.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Especially cheap property Grug

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Lolie posted:

That's not far away. The government wouldn't have told Pfizer to make a submission if they didn't intend to approve it.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/if-stars-align-five-years-olds-could-get-first-shots-by-christmas-20211008-p58yi6.html

Possibly as soon as Christmas

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

abigserve posted:

Lol looking forward to school being closed every third week due to an infectious case, seems like everyone has really thought this through

Schools will no longer need to close for a single case of covid. Testing of close contacts and returning to class when they receive negative results.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Sierra Madre posted:

maybe your child's school has a Tier 1 case and now you have to look after them for two weeks.

This is changed now (at least in Victoria) your kiddo needs to be tested, but then they're good to go with a negative result. They no longer close whole schools for a single infection

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Eediot Jedi posted:

What do people who take public transport look like?

Resentful, mainly.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Tommunist posted:

How would you know???

I see their crestfallen faces from my private motor car

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Animal Friend posted:

better go to church this xmas or you'll get omicron

I'd prefer the virus.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
https://twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1475657619121475584

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
https://twitter.com/mrbenjaminlaw/status/1473784900876570624

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Tokamak posted:

you would have to reshape the east coast to build it

:five:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Density limits don’t mean a whole lot currently, most restaurants are either closed or have super limited service because so many of their staff are in isolation.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Greg of Doom posted:

How long can Jeremy Poxon seriously stay unemployed for?

How long does he want to keep posting with his real name, your guess is as good as mine.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Hashy posted:

God honestly if there is anything I'd love to change about the discourse it's for people to stop saying "were all going to eventually get covid" like you catch it once and that's it, when instead "living with covid" entails everyone catching it once or twice a year, forever, new variants or no, with the accumulating factors of vascular clotting and immune system degradation acting on us all. That and the completely bizarre and unfounded idea that all viruses are under some great selection pressure to get weaker, or that such selection would be noticeable in our lifetimes. The quality of life we've all bought into is unthinkable.

Lol

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

abigserve posted:

I would be looking at what we need to change to manage it forever, which will involve some very difficult discussions like "what does society look like without schools and childcare", "is it possible to move to a pure delivery model for all food" etc

wow

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

TammyHEH posted:

Extremely hosed up I am now agreeing with Centusin AND yeast

I told you, stare into the void long enough and it'll stare back

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Eediot Jedi posted:

The commander's cupola could seat what? Two, three more remote learning children? Bargain.

Actual lol

"Thomas can you please adjust your webcam, all I can see is the escape hatch"

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Djokovic's visa cancellation overturned in court, government ordered to pay his legal fees.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Phigs posted:

Yeah everyone should just channel our PM and not worry about poo poo. State of the country got you down? Just stick your head in the sand and don't change anything.

If you get mad enough about it you’ll burn the covid right out of you

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
https://twitter.com/SandroDemaio/status/1481802095263371264

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Novaks visa has been cancelled again

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I got my booster last Friday, I would recommend it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

gay picnic defence posted:

So it’s mostly killing anti vax boomers?

By a large margin them over others

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

freebooter posted:

so all he's left with is Plague Island

But he’s not allowed back into Australia

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Lmao

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Anidav just casually making telephone sales calls wearing a respirator.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Konomex posted:

I am honestly confused, is the Eastern states completely back to normal, or some hellish world where the markets are empty and only 1 in 5 people can stumble into work. It's one or the other, no was has mentioned inbetween.

It’s pretty normal again here. The new year surge was very hard on hospo, and a lot elected to delay reopening a week to 10 days.

I’m back working with restaurants and wine bars in marketing, and it’s super busy again.

Cafes are frequently full, and restaurants are bouncing back, if they did say 200 covers a night at peak, they’re running around 80-120. Not ideal, but triple what they were 2 weeks ago. Most meat is available at supermarkets, butchers were never impacted.

Is it ‘back to normal’? No.

Are the same internet doomers gleefully posting about literally feeding teenagers to capitalism for sacrifice still happening? Yeah, of course.

The main problem is you’ll need to actually go outside to see how things are. Ergo you won’t get much of an accurate view in this thread.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Pleasant Friend posted:

Anyone who unironically says "doomer" might as well put in their vote for Clive Palmer right now.

‘Gottem!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

freebooter posted:

Surely this answers your own question? Closed border = no COVID.

:raise:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Recoome posted:

too busy eating each other

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Comstar posted:

Unleaded 91 just went over 2.05 in Melbourne.

I expect no media to comment on this until after the election.

:crossarms: