Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

The review is a brutal read. A few of the many shocking anecdotes:

* One participant described an incident they were aware of in which a parliamentarian who, being completely naked when a worker walked into their office, addressed the worker ‘as if nothing was untoward’'

* Several participants highlighted the risks posed by FIFO work where workers are forced, often due to lack of budget or hotel room availability, to share accommodation with colleagues. Alcohol was seen to compound this risk:
"I shared a room with this guy … and he spent the whole night getting me drunk … and then just laid on this whole thing about how he had an open relationship with his wife, and basically do I want to have sex with him? So this is my manager. I’m young, in Canberra, drunk now, trying to shut my door … and I lay there the entire night, completely petrified that I would pass out, and he would be there."

* One participant told the Commission that, after being sexually harassed by a parliamentarian, they were provided with the following response when they tried to report the behaviour:
"His reply was that it was part of my job to get along with MPs and staff from all sides of politics, so that we could get things done in the chamber, and that this kind of thing was part and parcel of ‘getting along’. The implication was that this was not only to be tolerated by me, but actively sought out and encouraged, and that I should do whatever it takes to grease the wheel for future negotiations and the good of the party."

* Review Survey data indicates that parliamentarians were the most common single perpetrator of sexual harassment

And then immediately afterwards, parliamentary culture was on full display in the Senate with some elected Liberal fuckwit making dog noises while Jacqui Lambie spoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Pleasant Friend posted:

People were camping out at 1am last night to get covid tests when they open at 8am. The lines are that big.

I really have to think the people in charge are just loving idiots who didn't think covid was real, because they clearly didn't anticipate the capacity they'd need to open up.

It's loving ridiculous. I drove around Brisbane for hours this arvo trying to get my compulsory day 5 test, and all five sites I tried were closed between 1 and 2.30pm. As in, they had completely shut up shop and left.

The total lack of testing infrastructure in place to deal with the influx of interstate visitors is insane. The standard closing time for these sites was 3pm BEFORE covid took hold in Qld but do you think they'd extend their hours once they have 500+ cases a day? Not a chance

So now as an asymptomatic visitor, I'm supposed to keep trying to waste the hours of me, my family and testers, when people who are actually sick can't even get in. What a shitshow. If they don't extend hours or get rid of the tourism testing requirement then Qld deserves covid

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

ungulateman posted:

it took me 20 minutes to get tested in south brisbane at 1pm :shrug:

Driving north was definitely a mistake

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Comstar posted:

Child Care I Did Not Send My Child To This Week: Good news! We are going back to normal hours with more staff next week.

Child Care I Did Not Send My Child To This Week 10 minutes later: We had a COVID case in my kid's room on Wednesday, staff and kids are now positive.

Do I send him back to Child Care next week?

Please enjoy what I'm experiencing now - you can't send your kid to childcare because it's closed, as all the staff either have covid or are still waiting on PCR results.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

https://twitter.com/bobjcarr/status/1490265532204945408?t=Dih67ippQKT0KXQMvMh6MA&s=09

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Labor putting the stick into their own bike wheel by willingly admitting to bullying Kitching to death

Thanks guys

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

agreed but gently caress me, WHY are they leaking to both the Australian and the ABC that there is internal shitfuckery going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

freebooter posted:

Lol I'm literally trying to recover my Sportsbet password right now.

I think I'll hedge on both Frydenberg and Dutton (irrespective of whether Labor are strongly targeting Dickson or not, it's always been very marginal) but I can't resist dropping a bit on Hawke and Tehan as well with such long odds. When there's already been chatter about knifing Morrison before the election I can't imagine a scenario where the backbench (or what's left of it) lets him remain as leader.

(Me placing these bets is what will doom Labor to a loss)

I didn't realise Dickson is even marginal. Last time I was there was just before the last election and I was horrified at the number of Dutton signs in people's front yards. A big chunk of the voting public is boomers on acreage who wouldn't dream of voting Labor.