Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Lol NSW is never getting back down to zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

You gotta remember as well when Melbourne was out of control it was the first major outbreak and nobody knew what to do, so besides the idiot right wing crew crowing about the economy it was obvious that a few mistakes were expected

Gladys (and scomo) have both not only made the same mistakes all over again, they did so while smiling and going on about what a great job they've been doing. Now that everything is hosed, that's all anyone remembers. There's no way to flip this around short of immediate, extremely hard lockdown and associated messaging as well as basically an admission of culpability

These people are outlandishly incompetent and no amount of Murdoch turd polishing will save them at this point, the question is whether this will all clear up by the next election so moron boomers can justify voting with their wallets again

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Fwiw as well 2/3 lib voters I know have flipped to Labor with the last one being a literal 1%er

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I mean, we were always going to have to live with it in that sense. There's no possibility that the world rocks 0 COVID, even within Australia you can't stop people coming into the country and as long as it's transmissible between people with the vaccine we won't see 0 forever.

The huge, incredibly severe fuckup here is of course we could have lived with 0 for a super long time, achieved a very high vaccination rate and very little disturbance beyond travel, but of course we voted in a bunch of ad executives instead of leaders

It's also interesting to think that worldwide travel is, at this point, irreparably hosed. There's no future where you'll be able to travel somewhere without quarantining for 2 weeks either when you get there or get back.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

perepelki posted:

lol

this is an incredible piece of journalism, i love the insights into the cosy domestic lives of these people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRZXM-4xI&t=73s

Still makes me laugh

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Neoliberals literally don't believe in consequences. They can't connect cause and effect.

There's no other plausible reason they didn't lock down immediately. They know exactly what happens. We've seen it many times. Any sane human being could have predicted it. It can only be "if i lockdown, that will make me look bad, and that's bad. So I won't lockdown" and that's it

it's loving laughable anyone looks to these morons for economic policy.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

ACT has been pretty gigafucked by the transmission into the school system, I was saying to my wife today I can't see us getting back to zero before we hit the 80% mark.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I hope the rest of Australia stays safe long enough to get our kids vaccinated. That's the "light at the end of the tunnel" for me. Quite frankly the idea of opening up while everyone under the age of 16 is at risk is abhorrent to me.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

messaging intentionally designed to downplay the severity of the problem causes the population to intentionally ignore it, this is a shock to everyone

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

StrangeThing posted:

Maybe. In my experience among people I know, no one cares about the why - just that they've suffered 200 days and enough is enough already you know?

I would say everyone I know is squarely blaming Gladys for the outbreak and Scomo for the shocking vaccine situation but - the appetite for more lockdowns is starting to shift primarily because an increasing amount of people (myself included) are starting to realize that 0 COVID forever just isn't possible. We - as in, humanity - collectively hosed that chicken when we failed to contain the outbreak initially. So the lockdowns feel less like tasks on the road to a greater accomplishment and more like chores while awaiting the inevitable.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

It's not that people will forget, it's that braindead boomers can't correlate failures in society to failures in government unless it costs them money. I think fundamentally, that generation has accepted that government is collectively useless besides the giant taxes lever that they pull in opposite directions

It's not that anyone actually thinks scomo is doing a good job, they literally don't think anyone else could do it better - and the other guys would also cost money so lets put a lil 1 in the LNP box

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

23 new cases in Canberra, lockdown was extended by two weeks yesterday, it doesn't really feel like we're getting on top of it. The lockdown needs to be much harsher to get back to zero, too much poo poo is open and we're getting too many cases from essential workers.

Woolies/coles in particular should be delivery only imo

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

There's nowhere near enough aim being taken at scomo and the federal government for botching the vaccine rollout so incredibly badly imo. Singapore is hitting (or has hit?) 90% vax of total population and we're here still floundering. A friend here in ACT 16-29 age group just booked his first jab - two loving months lead time

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

freebooter posted:

Not a chance that this would be logistically possible

Maybe it should be? These seems like something that is absolutely achievable in this day and age

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

lol if we hadn't of elected a marketing dad we'd already all be out of lockdown and vaccinated just lol

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Someone needs to run economic cost of these lockdowns since the vaccine became widely available and pin it directly on Scomo, aka the leader of the austerity party

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

StrangeThing posted:

As an aside though, I'd be interested to hear thoughts from posters about what the most realistic type of "opening" could be. If we don't want to use the Doherty model (or the fed government's interpretation of it), what do we see as the most realistic - realistic - form of returning to some kind of normality? E.g. schools, international travel, and so on.

Is it 90% vax? 100% school children vaxxed?

90% double dose, entire population, a plan in place for boosters, consistent, clear mask rules indoors and finally - a national vaccination tracking app so those that can't get jabbed are protected as much as possible.

I'd also argue that we won't get back to "normal" until most places have mandates in place as well.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

"it's as bad as the flu" is about the best we can hope for at this point I think.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Masks, reduced capacity venues and work from home is all here to stay unfortunately.

University's are going to get smashed. All those sweet sweet accommodation dollars...

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Certainly this is not Gospel but the vast majority of cases here in ACT seem to stem from essential businesses;

https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/act-status-and-response/act-covid-19-exposure-locations

Coles, Woolworths, various chemists, etc. You can't stop this unless you move to full delivery only when in lockdown.

Anecdotally but when I was still going to Woolworths (as of last week we don't leave the house except for exercise, all food we order online) everyone was complying with social distancing, masks, and getting in and out as fast as possible.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Konomex posted:

Yeah, no. This is my exact point. You live in this bubble where $850 is cheap. Travel is a luxury. $850 is not cheap.

I'm also wondering looking at these graphs how they got their data. Is it a direct relation, did 2 million individual Aussies holiday overseas? Or does that represent 2 million trips, because a bunch of those will be repeat customers then.

And while 20% of the population is a chunk, it's not enough to consider it normal, or cheap. Cheap for a flight historically, sure. Cheap? No. And how many Aussies put that poo poo on credit and then get themselves into horrendous debt?

$90 flights are cheap. Those European hop around flights are cheap. Most Aussie flights, especially for a West Australian, or nowhere near cheap.

Are you unironically arguing that most Australians don't travel or are you doing some weird bit

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I can't wait for little abigserve to go ask to see his friend and I can tell him sure, lets walk over there and have a nice visit. That's what I want, to see my boy interacting with his peers again.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Just because it's a religious gathering doesn't make it any less of a lovely thing to do. It's the equivalent of having a party right now, gently caress em.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Apparently the vaccination status check is built into the NSW check-in app as well which is a huge jump in enforceability over the certificate.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Gotta love that the generation that was all about bootstraps and doing it tough and what it means to be true blue has so quickly and utterly capitulated in the face of adversity

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

lol what possible reasoning is there for cancelling the daily updates

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Coastal towns are like 90% old people lmao

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Worship in a church is absolutely a recreational activity

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

One of my wife's friends in the US is saying that it's spreading through their school even with vaccinations* :( we aren't safe even with the vaccine :(((((

* in idaho, the third lowest state on vaccinations lmao

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

If anyone in this thread is from Canberra can y'all update with relevant changes.
My mum's mental health is P bad, and I've banned her from obsessively looking up covid stuff, but I wanna make sure I don't miss/ make her miss anything important.

She had a bit of a breakdown when she got caught out missing the earlier mask mandate for like a weekend or whatever, and I want to prevent her having too much distress.
But I'm from Sydney and miss Canberra things, and only learned about the lockdown extension for CBR accidentally now.

So pretty please Canberra updates?

Lockdown extended for four weeks, you can play golf and tennis now, masks still mandatory everywhere out of the home, you can exercise in groups of 5 for two hours.

Still advising to stay in your region so if you have north side relatives and you're on the south side you're pretty boned. It sucks.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Lol will we ever stop voting in weird old white men

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I mean

If the fascists wanna get punched by covid

Lettem

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

In Adelaide had an anti-mask protestor approach us on the street while walking back from lunch. He had a big yellow star of David pinned to his chest and was walking up to anyone wearing a mask to loudly yell at them "ZERO CASES IN THE COMMUNITY".

I don't know how people don't go off at these guys. I know they won't ever listen but it would be so cathartic unloading a years worth of pent up common-sense into them

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I think we should wait until the vaxx numbers are higher but at some stage kids gotta go back to school. Australian society ain't built to handle homeschooling

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

https://twitter.com/AusQuake/status/1440456585336082432?s=20

5.3 magnitude centred in Gippsland, apparently was felt as far as Canberra.

I didn't feel anything in Canberra personally

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I just remembered the "Human Ken Doll" who kept showing up to budget night in parliament

jesus christ!!! That's loving disgusting!!!

that man's head is shaped like a potato!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

The Artificial Kid posted:

There's so much to unpack in the idea of ScoMo as Public Health Oppressor.

He resisted any measures at all.

Then he resisted lockdowns.

Then he dragged his heels on vaccine supply.

Then he attacked Premiers trying to use lockdowns to deal with the consequences of no vaccine supply.

And even now he would love to be letting it run wild in the name of St Harvey and St Wesfarmers, but he's been stopped.

By the wild popularity of the "oppression".

Edit - it's really nice to see this kind of poo poo spread regarding your own country, it's a solid reminder that these right-wing grifters really are just making poo poo up all day everyday. Helps to pacify that tiny, anxious corner of my soul that gets transiently seduced by the idea that both sides are the same.

He admitted that covid was real though so he might as well be marching you to the gulag

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Scott Morrison is too outlandishly incompetent to change the status quo in a meaningful way for a majority of Australians and a lot of people find that appealing

Further, the media makes sure that the abhorrent stuff that IS happening under his leadership is either buried or in many cases, applauded.

I don't see any way out of this until Australia becomes the world's abandoned mining town. you can listen to question time or watch stuff on YouTube and see Labor leaders relentlessly dumpstering the liberal party but none of it makes the news so the average person doesn't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I can't understand anyone that's not vaccinated and isn't abiding the rules. The rules are getting eased here in ACT on Friday but we're still not seeing anyone until my family is double vaccinated.