Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

I’m sorry, but the playlist articles is the click bait I engage in most!

I’d say it has a lot to do with Obama, like he still makes playlists that get some notoriety. Difference was Obama had cool bands play his campaign tour willingly. Not your old presidents who probably listen to yacht rock or Trump who playing Born in the USA with Springsteen then threatening to push charges for improper use.

It doesn’t work with Scotty because his relatability is your typical Triple M/WSFM programming, with Midnight Oil as his left field. Even his classical playlist doesn’t really do much with variations. I guess this never meant to be public.

Make me think Albo should get back into DJing for his campaign trail instead of showing face every record store day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Animal Friend posted:

633 in NSW. loving hell you guys.

Hey but look at the upside, 70% is transmitted at home, no need to keep track of exposure sites.

Never mind 500 *potentially infectious* people under investigation!

Honestly, I haven't moved from the house apart from exercise (keeping to quieter areas where possible since everyone is now outside) and the weekly Coles run.

I'm at a complete loss.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

When they say "transmitted at home", would that include within tower blocks and from unit to unit? Or would we have heard about full buildings being shut down?

Gladys threw it out in yesterdays conference, I could only find this. I think it refers to households and not units.

"In the past two weeks, 70 per cent of infections that have been linked to a known case or cluster occurred in households, a figure NSW Health says reflects the general trend of Sydney’s latest outbreak."
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/household-transmissions-account-for-70-per-cent-of-sydney-s-covid-cases-20210817-p58ji7.html?btis

There has been some apartment blocks in Liverpool, Campbelltown and Blacktown locked down.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-07/liverpool-apartment-block-locked-down-14-residents-positive/100358216
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-04/nsw-resident-speaks-out-campbelltown-apartment-block/100348136
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/blacktown-apartment-in-lockdown-after-covid-outbreak-20210727-p58d7h.html

woofbro fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 18, 2021

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

gay picnic defence posted:

How can they say it’s 70% transmission in the home when 75% of the days cases can’t be linked to other cases?

I wish I were a journo, I’d be asking exactly that.

https://twitter.com/nswhealth/status/1427797636447305730?s=21

I might put some time into understanding this so I can find out. https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/find-the-facts-about-covid-19

woofbro fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 18, 2021

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

freebooter posted:

Gladys just said "now is the time to bunker down" so to be sure to cancel all the gallery openings and black tie dinners you had booked in the coming months

I had a mind crush YuGiOh style when they announced a mask mandate across the state, wtf has been going on for the last 2 months?

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/jessvanvonderen/status/1429294607230128128?s=21

Completely normal behaviour. It’s a wonder how these protests go by without any notice!

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

aejix posted:

Nah mate you're way off base, I'm sure albo, the bag of pantry-moth infested flour with all the charisma of a half eaten urinal cake will lead fed Labor to glorious victory.

And Gladys has a real reckoning coming from.... who the gently caress even is the NSW Labor leader, is that even a real person or party? Do they actually exist? Find me one person in this country who can name them without googling for several hours

I'm possibly that one guy, it's Chris Minns.

Labor they got away with changing their leadership without anyone even batting an eyelid or noticing, I think avoiding an imagine of being poo poo stirrers like LNP in WA and Vic is a good thing. From where I'm sitting, in Labor heartland of Sydney's South West - I think they're doing well speaking with community groups and mayors where LNP has been mostly absent in discussion, reportedly not answering calls.

I honestly think all Labor would need to do is outline that LNP are a State Government and they have a responsibility of servicing the whole state and not just the City of Sydney and that alone would gain supporters with wider areas. But, how do you shift votes from rusted on areas like Sutherland Shire, Eastern and Northern suburbs? They're probably grateful SSW is locked down. Even if I argued by throwing out a random point like... LNP have screwed classroom allocation in developing areas out West, would any of those areas even care? They're taken care of well enough and don't have a reason to shift their vote.

woofbro fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 7, 2021

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Laserface posted:

Western/south western sydney is full of aspirational voting migrants who are waiting for their turn to pull the ladder up behind them and everywhere regional votes nats so not sure this strat would work.

lol if you think the shire would vote labor.

Oh, I'm well aware that you can't top the Nats and Shire will never vote Labor.

Just thinking aloud.

woofbro fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 7, 2021

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

interesting coincidence

No coincidence, it's the easiest bone to throw out to 12 LGAs after meeting with them after weeks of ignoring requests to.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

StrangeThing posted:

I'll repeat: the BLM march was also in breach of orders, but public transport wasn't shut down for that, nor should it have been.

Key difference is non-violent protest and compliance of mask mandate.

I agree that access to the city should not be altered and police presence for non-violent protest is problematic. But these guys won’t be reasoned with and have demonstrated violent behaviour yesterday smashing windows and attacking Union. They’re not construction workers completing a standard protest about work conditions, it’s being mutated to an anti-vax protest by far right figureheads.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Lolie posted:

I guess Andrew Constance is one name which can be scratched off the list of possible NSW premier.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-03/nsw-transport-minister-andrew-constance-to-quit-state-politics/100510476

There must be no hope for Moderate Right faction if he’s jumping ship

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

That’s a relief, and you’re right he rubbished himself saying he’d contend and the stepping back a day later.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

sick of Applebees posted:

Well what's the meme? It's behind a paywall.

Is it the Scott Morrison poo poo himself in Engadine Maccas after the 1997 Grand Finals meme?

https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...e467fbdc8dbe04a

Throwback to when he appeared on Kyle and Jackie O to talk defecation to deflect from something his party had done (too many to keep track of)

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Centusin posted:

Scomo's daggy dad thing is literally exactly what Mike Baird did when he was NSW premier. Baird ended up with young fans because of it until he alienated them all with the lockout laws.

Oh yeah for sure, Mike Baird tried to target millennials by live tweeting Bachelor with his daughters. Even Abbott tried to tick the box with the daughters angle - however I always thought it was more creepy in a father holding onto their virginity sorta sense.

Scott is totally just going for the Kmart hacks audience of Karens with religious prejudices, he does something DIY like cooking or building and people go ape poo poo over it. Check any of his posts on Facebook, he’s like some sort of cult of personality - everyone loves him. Being the family man PM is popular with a specific audience voters.

Edit; New Idea probably runs stories like - Helpful Hubby PM ScoMo delights with his chicken korma dinner treats

woofbro fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 15, 2021

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Animal Friend posted:

Clive Palmer and the LNP nutting

Yeah, this image is pulled from a Guardian article from 2019, some stooge posted it to Twitter but then stated that currently there is no preference deal but eh it's only a matter of time til they cut one up.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/apr/25/liberal-party-strikes-deal-to-exchange-election-preferences-with-clive-palmer

My favourite pull from UAP is Craig Kelly stating he is in favour of ICAC when his voting history is in strong opposition of ICAC. These guys will do anything to get reelected.

Liberals have grabbed Melanie Gibbons former State MP for Holsworthy to run for Hughes, I reckon she'll have it easily. Politically, I think she only votes on the party lines, but hey what's new?

Craig Kelly will be some dunce who runs every few years, maybe he'll do a Latham and somehow get in on state politics on a One Nation or UAP backing, with the benefit of a broader online following than Hughes votes alone.

woofbro fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 23, 2021

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Amoeba102 posted:

"I wish I found it more surprsing" says the PM on sexual harrassment in parliament. What the gently caress is he trying to say? That he was already well aware of how bad it is and has done gently caress all?

Probably the best attempt at sympathy he could offer.

Completely agree that he has the platform to raise the standard, but he’s only as good as the company he keeps.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Animal Friend posted:

Pell apologists and rapists?

I was way too conservative with my post, forgot I was posting on SomethingAwful.

Yeah he’s as bad as those, even if he is only protecting them instead of directly doing those things.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Cartoon posted:

As to LGA elections. Always check the online declarations. There is often comedy gold. Most of our local independant councillors are members of the National Party and have their campaigns funded. The Mayor (A National who is also a gaping anus ~not in this case a synonym~) has decried the Greens candidate as 'politicising what has always been an apolitical local council'. Our ticket has a Group A and B who upon researching turn out to both be far right happy clappers hoping to get votes because voting for them is the least effort (everyone else is ungrouped). So, yes, do your research.

How do you access these?

ATM I'm basing my vote on the phrasing of independents with "under a Liberal majority" and "under a Labor majority" and the positives and negatives on each statement.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

My biggest gripe is not the obvious PR stunt missing any irony of Libs ceasing car manufacture in Australia.

It’s the fact that neither Scott or Skaife have any protective gear on - I guess he wouldn’t be recognisable with a helmet on.

woofbro fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 5, 2021

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

BrigadierSensible posted:

But it also got people talking about how it was a stupid idea. How Gladys herself had to shut it down. About how out of touch ScoMo was, and didn't even know what his own party members were doing etc. And therefore could theoretically have cost them votes. So there is an argument to be made that it backfired.

I think you’ve given the general public too much credit here.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

freebooter posted:

You should be able to get rapid tests from pharmacies, they're like $10 for a pack of 5 and take 15 minutes to work. (Assuming you're getting tested because you have symptoms, not because you've been to a contact site.)

Where can you get them for that price? I'm seeing $50 for a pack of 5.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

bowmore posted:

Yes. It's hosed. If nobody is checking in at half the places what's the loving point?

Dude that’s if places even show their codes anymore.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

bowmore posted:

Yeah that's what I mean

Ah cool, I thought you meant people are fed up and no longer want to check in.

But yeah, I feel as though most people find out when they get to Coles or whatever, notice there’s no QR codes available for check-in then the clerk who informs them that it’s no longer necessary or available.

You’d think they’d leave the option open but hey, they won’t. For some reason it’s an all or nothing mentality and I hope it doesn’t fall belly up.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Periphery posted:

If the federal government has taught me anything it's that growth is a good thing, right?

That and jobs.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

So Palmer in his latest Youtube ads is claiming Joseph Lyons, (PM from 1932-39) as one of his own. Because he named his party the same as the party that old dead white man ran under.

This is surely illegal yes/no? Does it fall under false advertising? Misleading political statements?

I think it was placed in the too hard category for legislation, but hey would love to hear otherwise.

Let me know how you go, to say Menzies was a member of the “United Australia Party” is accurate in the sense that he was, it just happens to not be the exact same UAP Clive runs. Bloke has more money than sense and can pay off any fine.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

freebooter posted:

https://twitter.com/AnnastaciaMP/status/1477801774283059200

Kind of amazing how happy the feds are to continually handball responsibility to the states. This is going to be a fascinating election.

I guess the counter argument here is, will RAT be used to suppress positive PCR numbers?

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I know covid is loving the hospitals, how hosed are the schools at the moment?

Yeah school holidays, although link below says there are 325 childcare centres closed in NSW due to COVID.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-05/nsw-records-35054-covid-cases/100727638

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

I think feasibly we could have gradually pulled away measures after reintroducing non-vaccinated into the community, got our booster and child vaccination figured out before dropping masks in some settings and increasing numbers of patrons in settings. Based on who I’ve talked to New Years celebrations were too much to handle and a lot of people are coming out positive from that.

It’s disheartening hearing Dom say no matter what we did it wouldn’t have meant a difference then I go online and there’s plenty of articles arguing that long Covid could cause heart related illness and death at 50 and our system is completely overrun - when we’ve had 2 years to prioritise this and nothing has been done it’s left a real sour taste.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

JBP posted:

What pandemic? We won.

Honestly I just watched the news and the phrasing was “there’s a heavy sense that the pandemic is over now, let’s embrace each other this Australia Day”

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Grace Tame is justified in her actions, the news cycle was pretty quick.

In a day it went from -

- Great! Women should be treated better and LNP do nothing for DV, did not meet with March4Justice, ongoing discussion of Brittany Higgins and parliaments treatment of woman.

- Here is Grace Tame with Albo looking happy

- Journalists whining about it, The Australian ran an opinion piece suggesting she not go at all.

- Dylan Alcott getting Australian of the Year stating more needs to be done for the NDIS. Mild discussion of the award being lip service to pretend progress is being made when it is not.

- An unsuccessful attempt by Sky to shift blame to Albo for passing up a handshake from Morrison, with Albo explaining he didn’t shake anyone’s hand because it is against health protocol.

- It’ll end next week when Mad as Hell do a skit about it

woofbro fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 27, 2022

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

What the hell is going on? Is this related to the Facebook group posted a page back?

https://twitter.com/JoshButler/status/1487989525645520897?s=20&t=13zwpQBg9yo6UrDOJhs9uQ

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

abigserve posted:

There was a live stream on facebook and there's like, maybe 150 people there max and seems like a mixture of bogans, hippies and legit mental cases (there was one woman just shrieking at the top of her lungs)

In comparison to the multiple thousand at the BLM march this looks absolutely pathetic. It was already pathetic but this is a new level.

What was interesting though was the facebook comments were absolutely popping off on this guys livestream which makes me think the sheer amount of astro-turfing going on is loving unreal

150 is nothing, especially when parliament isn’t even sitting. But yeah I worry that people see a very small minority and think this is a majority.

I saw a tonne of hate speech online towards Invasion Day protests that reeked of jealousy - people actually show up to Invasion Day protests because it is clearly a more popular cause than ~*~freedom~*~.

I don’t really understand the 51st State mentality Qanon has pilled these people into thinking and good luck to anyone thinking a vote for UAP will lead to change corresponding to their beliefs.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Nearly 80% of your posts in this thread have been these kind of low-effort shots at me. Is there anything you want to tell us, or do you have anything useful to contribute?

Sorry to interject but It’s probably because you take the bait

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

I don't understand how people keep producing children and own a house with a huge Toyota HiLux Workmate.

I figure I just made the wrong decision by studying at Uni instead of taking up a trade at TAFE.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

No antivaxxers today. Presumably they all died on the road to canberra

They were all in Canberra maybe?

https://twitter.com/joshbutler/status/1489762296318824448?s=21

E: lol

https://twitter.com/saikate108/status/1489813133342691331?s=21

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Why couldn’t they have extended it to a friends and family style event? Bring out Brian Houston and Tim Stewart, what else have they got to lose?

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Ah the classic NSW Government for Sydney CBD and only Sydney CBD

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Gotta pull up the visor so the people know it’s you the PM welding poo poo up

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Now we know that ScoMo barracks for the Sharks. (Albo is an Essendon fan.)

To answer the question quick - Abbott was a cycling nutter, except he wouldn’t have roads divided to make cycling lanes. I know he also played some rugby but god knows what team he goes for… safe bets are Union fan or Manly.

Now the lengthy aside… Morrison backing Sharks is all a PR stunt. Get to the footy with a Great Northern in hand. He’s not from the Shire, there’s no reason he’d be backing them beforehand. I also found this story last year, it’s all speculation but Scotty from Eastern Suburbs would totally be a Union fan.

https://www.hellosport.com.au/2021/09/10/is-scott-morrison-a-turncoat-an-investigation-into-the-pms-footy-teams/

Albo is very much a South Sydney Rabbitohs supporter, maybe Essendon is who he follows in AFL? One of the dumb things I like to do every Melbourne trip is check the newspaper to see who the PM and Opposition Leader’s assistant tips for the AFL.

woofbro fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Elissimpark posted:

Still alive: Warwick Capper, Yahoo Serious.

More importantly, what will Ryan Moloney do without Neighbours?

NCIS Sydney hopefully!