Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

hooman posted:

Lifters not leaners.
Just going to put it out there, much easier to lean against a house then lift it. Like with out equipment just one person ain't going to lift poo poo.

In short the real lifters in Australian society are folk lifts yet do conservatives praise them, no!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

hooman posted:

Lifters are the ones who creat the jobs by being rich and business men. Leaners are the manual slobs who work at those businesses.

No real lifter drives a mere forklift, they drive a benz or an audi.

I don't care conservatives politicians don't know what word mean. Lifters lift things, folklifts do pretty much nothing but lift things, thus folklifts are the true aussie lifter.

And yes I will die on this hill. :colbert:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Folklifts would do that to me after I just went out to bat for them like that!

Jerks.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

2023 iirc lol none of this is gonna matter

Because everyone will of forgotten by than, or because NSW will be a lawless mad max'esq wasteland by then?

Either way we should totally drag Sydney out into the ocean and sell it to the highest bidder. This isn't a covid related thing, just something that in general I think would improve Australia.

Source: have been to Sydney.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

freebooter posted:

We're never going to be rid of the flu unless we also want to exterminate about half the planet's wild bird species. Eliminating COVID any time soon is also unlikely now that it's found its mutating way into every nook and cranny of the world, including places with no effective governance. We can barely get people in Sydney to stop visiting their mates, you're not about to make COVID-infected refugees in Afghanistan stop fleeing the Taliban.

I mean there is a whole bunch of research being done on universal flu vaccines and it looks like there is a few candidates getting close -at least one in clinical trials- and with all the additional research funding and intrest that has been put into vaccines research over the last year or so -and that will likely continue for a while longer while worries about additional covid variants emerging exists- I could easily see most if not all the flu stains effectively been rid of in humans within two decades.

If half the worlds birds want to be brain dead anti-vaxxers well will suck to be them I guess. :shrug:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Laserface posted:

the fines for breaching any of the restrictions aren't harsh enough imo, even the ones that are 5k.

make it 5k per confirmed infection that results from the breach on top of the 5k for breaching.

I would say we should just give them the ultimate punishment for an Aussie, deportation to Sydney... but well.

(honestly thought, I'm a bit scared if the numbers get much higher in NSW glads will just completely give up and scotty will shortly follow. At least all the other premiers still seem very keen on fighting the good fight.)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

lol :smith:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Periphery posted:

If we let NZ have the Opera House and the Bridge do you think they'd join the rest of the country in invading NSW to stop Gladys reign of terror?

Hmm, looks nice:

I think they'd go for it.

Edit:

Laserface posted:

Can nsw labor do anything at allto kick this mob out or what

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 18, 2021

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I think this latest outbreak has really shown this countries desperate need for a remote quarantine island.

But you know just for the NSW liberal government.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Solemn Sloth posted:

It’s called Australia op

Oh. :( Can we at least change our national flag to one of those rad plague flags then?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Eediot Jedi posted:

Yeah that gets me. They keep positioning it as the state is failing the government.

Look if everyone just decided not to live in NSW then they couldn't catch covid there. Obviously blames on them :colbert:

But yeah 100%. Like I know a governments never going to take blame for anything, but if you are to blame at least have the common loving decency to just shut up and try and fix the problem.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

hooman posted:

All I'm saying is that if everyone got super into WOW this poo poo would be done in like 2 months.

I mean yeah sure, but I'm pretty sure just locking every single person in jail, would have a much less permanent and scaring effect on humanity.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Just anecdotally people I've been talking to in QLD are far more pissed off at NSW government then the Federally government. With Scott most people just seem to have a, "yeah, he's a bit poo poo, but most politicians are" type deal. There seems to just be heaps of people really, really pissed off with Gladys though.

I mean Morrison never seemed to have much personal approval to begin with, so him doing a poo poo job I think in a lot of peoples minds is just what they expected when they voted for him the first place.

Last 10 years of federal politics fuckery has really worn a lot of people out.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

JBP posted:

A small price to pay for the freedom of millions.

Nah graves are actually pretty expensive

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Eediot Jedi posted:

In Melbourne they can just line the metro tunnel with our bones and make it infinitely cooler.

I would 100% donate my body to metro bone tunnel.

Who the hell would want to just get chucked somewhere in the ground when you had the option of being part of Melbourne metro tunnel of bones.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

thatbastardken posted:

pretty ableist going after people with cochlear implants imo.

Look there is very obviously no crystals in cochlear implants. If they were the crystals would obviously cure their hearing problems using hippy crystal magic what not, and they wouldn't need the implants any more.

That's just like, common sense man.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

freebooter posted:

https://twitter.com/SAHealth/status/1437248500341772290
I sometimes think the ATAGI recommendation fiasco might work out in our favour in the long-run; there's probably a non-zero number of boomers who would've been hesitant of any COVID vaccine whatsoever but have instead been conditioned to covet Pfizer.

Yeah, there does seem to be a bunch of 60+ who won't take anything but pfizer. Not the ideal, but end of the day if it gets more people vaxxed then good.

Spoken too a lot of anti-vaxxes over the last year or so, and more seem to be coming around. Really hoping by the time we get to the tail end of the vaccinations there's only like a die hard group of 5% or less who end up not getting it. Although I think once we get to a point where people are saying we've reached "heard immunity" the pressure on them might die down a lot. 70% of the population who can actually have the vaccine, isn't heard immunity people!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Phigs posted:

I'm pretty sure herd immunity is impossible with COVID btw. The protection conferred by the vaccines is not high enough. The best we can hope for is that enough people being vaccinated will allow our hospitals to remain functioning. But with our hospital systems being so neglected and gutted we'll probably still need various other measures to keep them floating.

seems that way, Singapore at 80%+ and just had 520 new recorded cases yesterday... But yeah it seems best bet is just to get up to as many vaccinated people as possible, and open up as slow as can not to overload the hospital. Or do a NSW and just run right off that cliff.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

thatbastardken posted:

au contraire, mon ami! electrical diagrams of the cochlear implant reveal the existence of diodes, which are derived from Crystal detector technology.

and thus the secret of the hearing crystal is laid bare!

Lies told by big pharma executives, who lay in their gloomy caverns far beneath mountain tops, sitting upon vast mounds of horded ill gotten life giving crystals. Selling us their refuses and calling it "medicine" all so they can more easily horde all the crystals for themselves.

Pretty sure 4 Corners did a report about this not to long ago.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

thatbastardken posted:

pfft four corners, next you'll say you believe in the round earth.

Hey, I watch a show called four corners, of course I know the world is a two dimensional flat plane.

Name me one 3d dimensional objects with four corners. ...Other then you know a three sided pyramid, but the world sure ain't an ancient Egyptian pyramid, that's for sure.

Not made out of large limestone bricks. Minecrafts just a game people!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

EoinCannon posted:

did really well on the exam and then found out I'm significantly colourblind during the medical.

Do they not let you in if your colourblind, so they can make sure you can identify who to left off with a warning and to throw down a flight of stairs or something?

: Depressing dad joke :

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Doc Holliday posted:

We had a guy in high-vis come in last week and count the number of windows per classroom and whether or not they could be opened. I guess that means our school is certified "Covid Ready".

Seems like a bit of a waste of time. All windows can be opened if they are made of glass and you have a brick.

Hopefully cuts to education hasn't lead to teachers not being able to afford bricks. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Thoughts and prayers for those who are on a supermarket shift this morning in vic

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 22, 2021

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Look if it's a wall of mounted police vs a tram, I'm putting my money on the tram.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Eediot Jedi posted:

Suicide is never the answer.

Well what if the question is "solve for: I am hitler"

I'm no good at math, someone help me out here!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

IshmaelZarkov posted:

X = "Dude it's just art college maybe chill a bit"

Cheers. Now just got to hope the teacher doesn't ask me to show my workings.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Periphery posted:

What a loving poo poo show.

There was literally no possibility it wouldn't be.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lolie posted:

It took an insanely long time for it to escalate to this point today.

It was still as poo poo show before it escalated

Scotty's on SNL? Glad to see they consider him an unfunny joke over there as well.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Solemn Sloth posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm officially a racist now, because I agree with 90% of the Sustainable Australia Party's submission to the housing supply and affordability inquiry.

Seriously. just really solid real estate and renters law changes. Even including stuff like pets and picture hangers so renters can actually feel like they live in a home and not just a long term hotel.

Pets is a really big one.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Konomex posted:

At this point which political party isn't something and racist?

The democrats?

Cos despite their instance to the contrary, they don't really exist any more!!!

Actually I guess that would make them non existent and racists... which better?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The Peccadillo posted:

I don't know who this is

Lol unknown dickhead is going to run straight into the ocean and bash his head on Antarctica.

Superhero's continue to be performative idiots who solve no real world problems!

Edit: Googled and turns out he was a US antivaxxer before it was cool. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-31/anti-vaxxer-kent-heckenlively-denied-australian-visa/8859586

More Edit: I thought even the most crazy alt righters had binned milo?

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 23, 2021

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

freebooter posted:

Inner-city Melbourne.

Inner city Melbourne, also noticeable for having pretty much the lowest vaccination rate in vic i seem to recall.

yay :smith:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

hambeet posted:

lol go vic.

interstate rivalry never dies. just vulnerable populations.

Hey, at the moment the interstate rival seems to be NSW V all other states.

Which honestly, is how it should of always been.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

freebooter posted:

Tbf it's probably also the youngest part of Victoria and therefore has the largest cohort that only became eligible more recently.

True, but seniors in quite a few places actually have not the highest vaccination rates either, and according to census data while there are a percent or two more seniors on the surf coast then Vic and Aus, but there is still quite a lot of younger people about as well. https://quickstats.censusdata.abs.gov.au/census_services/getproduct/census/2016/quickstat/LGA26490

Lived on the surf coast for a bit and census data does seems about right.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Hahah glady stood down.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also I think pretty much everyone watching the press conference just stopped watching as soon as she said that. I'm sure she'll bather on for a while longer though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Why does that liberal party statement have a labor party letterhead?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I mean at least it seems the courts eventually made NSW transport pay for damages to him, but man literally everything else about that whole situation is completely hosed.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah blocking people from leaving the country is just weird and bad. Completely fine with them having to sign something saying "Yep I'm not getting back in until we're not quarantining people any more", and restrictions on how many people can return depending on our capacity to quarantine and what not, but if someone understands that and still wants to go then it seems senseless to keep them here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
He also apparently now lives on a vineyard on the Mornington Peninsula.

What's an obvious sydneysider scumbag doing in vic. :(

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-04/pandora-papers-australian-accountant-asiaciti-graeme-briggs-leak/100482936