Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

froglet posted:

(Note: I paid $50 for the tetanus booster, obviously that's not affordable for everyone, but hey it's worth mentioning and it's good to mention to anyone here who's either a rich gently caress or lives/works with babies/olds).

I paid $50 for mine, however I got mine on a Sunday at an after hours clinic after stepping on a rusty nail.

Not all tetanus boosters have the whooping cough vaccine, they would have given me the standard one for free but then I would have needed the whooping cough vaccine shortly after for my impending child. Apparently that one does *not* come separately and it's not recommended to get two tetanus shots in 6mo.

I later found out that the tetanus vaccine does not work prophylactically, and the whole "step on a nail and get your booster" thing is just a trick to get people to actually bother getting a booster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Noted medical expert - Scotty from marketing ?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Eediot Jedi posted:

:same:

Circling back to regular dr chat, mine moved clinics three months ago and didn't tell me. Rude.

At a lot of clinics the doctor wouldn't own the clientele, so informing you of their departure is probably a breach of their contract.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Zenithe posted:

If Christensen gets covid he will almost definitely die.

The universe wouldn't be this kind to us

Remember that Trump survived covid

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I know for one we are working on zero bench staff, are paying overtime to get work done on weekends and keep getting deadlines rushed for covid related work.

Shits crazy in IT land

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

ungulateman posted:

At this point I highly recommend as many people as possible lie and claim they're indigenous so they can get vaccinated because the cost:benefit analysis is comically in favour of it

(Bundjalung man whose skin is white as the driven snow, for the record)

Or just claim a child or spouse is in a risk group, they don't ask for proof (at least not in wa)

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Should have lived in WA instead

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

You east coast fuckers better keep to yourselves till the end of the month. I have a holiday up north booked so you better not get me locked down

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

RC Bandit posted:

Ok I'm starting to get annoyed that our government can't get their poo poo together as I'm STILL ineligible to get a vaccine (in Victoria).

Vaccines have been available for so long now that I think the wisdom of reserving them for particular groups has probably passed.

Just let anyone get a vaccine, allow bookings for the current priority groups with extra lead time so they can secure a booking easier even if they have to wait. (I.e. any open booking for the current week is open to anyone, any bookings more than a week out reserved for the priority groups)

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Konomex posted:

And I just struggle to wrap my head around their mental gymnastics. Because by contrast, when WA did our lockdown my story was 'I have no idea what other people have been doing because I only left my house to go straight to my job and back - or not at all.'

WA people I know pretty much avoid doing anything during lockdown.
We know it'll be over in a week if we do the right thing

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

quote:

I was able to intercept an entire pallet of Pfizers first vaccine shipment. 4000 doses at 2 shots per dose. I've got it stored in a chest freezer in my garage. Ive been injecting myself every day, sometimes multiple times a day if I can stand it. The symptoms were terrible for the first few weeks. There were times I was completely paralyzed with pain, contorted like the Edvard munch painting and frozen in agony for hours. I became stronger and some of the worst symptoms subsided over time. I've been vaxmaxxing for almost 4 months now and I feel as though I'm becoming something greater than human now. I will continue to administer the injections into the same arm as long as possible. I'm increasing the dosages as much as I can stand and will maintain my journal.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

guillotine.gif

I dunno how anyone could answer that any way but "if you want me for a full week, pay me for a full week"....

I would also be telling them that I'd absolutely be applying for new jobs to replace the remaining hours.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

BrigadierSensible posted:

I agree that she wants to spread it outside NSW, because then it becomes "our" collective problem that we are all doing our best to fight, instead of "her" problem that she is loving up whilst the rest of us look on in despair, pity and anger.

That's exactly what I thought when I read this

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-18/detainees-from-sydney-covid-19-hotspot-fly-to-western-australia/100387032

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Tomberforce posted:

Won't stop em though.

You clearly haven't read the exasperated stories of people with antivax relatives/friends/neighbours who literally lose spouses/children/siblings and continue on undeterred.

The only time I hear the opposite is from healthcare workers being begged by dying people to give them the vaccine by antivaxxers on their deathbed.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

froglet posted:

This has lead to the traditionally more sheltered areas homeless people could previously rely on as a reasonably sheltered (or at least safer) place to sleep at night (e.g. beneath the Lord St bridge in East Perth) becoming fenced off or otherwise made inaccessible or inhospital to these people.

I loving hate that we don't support the homeless more. Honestly nobody should have to sleep rough, we can do way better as a society.

But you do your argument a disservice with this one; this encampment was getting to the point where they were blocking the only pedestrian/bike thoroughfare into the city along there and I was threatened and spat on multiple times for daring to simply ride into work.
The detour was about 3km to avoid it.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

As a WA resident who bought a trailer and is spending 3 weeks in the northwest corner of the state this checks out

The caravan park at Coral bay is bonkers busy, and it's not even close to school holidays.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Also the fact that it's been detected in wild animals (including feral cats/dogs/etc) means that we are highly unlikely to eliminate all the animal reservoirs for the virus.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

You see sometimes a bad political party is is a bit like a bad father.....

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Cartoon posted:

The ALP 'lost' their status as economic managers due to Whitlam's Khemlani loan scandal. The lost is in quotes because any left leaning government is targeted for poor ecoomic management entirely because they want to redistribute wealth.

Which ironically is much better economic management than supporting the rich to get richer

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Also log into your myGov account at least once a year or they delete it and you have to start again

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

freebooter posted:

COVID-19: Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine effectiveness wanes to 47% against infection after six months

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-effectiveness-wanes-to-47-against-infection-after-six-months-12426406

I DEMAND the government give me access to the superior AstraZeneca vaccine

the buried lede posted:

The authors acknowledged some limitations in their study, especially that they couldn't determine causal relationships between vaccination and COVID-19 outcomes because the vaccination status among the cohort wasn't randomised.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

It'll take a week and half to see the effects of lockdown changes.
Let's hope the Vax rate is high enough, it sure as poo poo isn't in WA

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The Artificial Kid posted:

What's the point of coal to hydrogen when solar electricity is cheaper?

Edit - because there's no loving hydrogen in coal, so the only thing they can possibly be talking about is using the coal for energy.

Coal is a bunch of hydrocarbons, so yeah there's shitloads of hydrogen in it. There are a bunch of hydrocarbon -> hydrogen processes.....

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Been said for a while that the big generational wealth transfer from the Boomers isn't happening, or rather, it's the Boomers' money getting all sucked up by creditors, banks and palliative care. Even for a lot of the richest. The Boomers who had it good, or believed they did, simply cannot acknowledge that the exact same opportunities that they enjoyed no longer exist, and will die with a smile leaving their children jack poo poo.

So what you are saying is that to bootstrap yourself is to join the healthcare or aged sectors to suck the boomers dry

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Why the red ensign?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Clive is so horrifically unpopular in WA this will be amazing to watch over here.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Animal Friend posted:

lol I only remember him from this

What a turd, he clearly didn't learn Latin in school.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Just by booze packed in 4l cardboard boxes, no noise and a free pillow when you are done

Edit: gently caress yeah goon sniped

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

yoloer420 posted:

Shortage of urea, used to make diesel anti-pollution additive AdBlue, threatens to grind Australia to a halt, transport industry warns

Source

Could it be bad? Maybe!

There are a number of large hydrogen/ammonia projects just kicking off (including that silly blue hydrogen one that just got approval in WA) so I suspect this will be fairly short lived.

(Ammonia is the main precursor chemical for modern urea production)

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I don't know the details, but as far as I know if you spend X terms in parliament, you get a $Y pension for the rest of your life. Where X is maybe 2 or 3 terms, and Y is a not small amount.

Pretty sure the last chunk of pension-getters retired at the last election.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

When your startup aims for a continually shrinking proportion of the population you gotta wonder about the business projections

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

freebooter posted:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1470131025275727880

Really sorry to learn that WA has been in lockdown, hope it hasn't been too tough on you guys

Yeah it's been hard having to scan a QR code at the pub and store some masks in the bottom of the junk drawer these last 12 months

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

freebooter posted:

Who knows what's going to happen but the funniest outcome will definitely be if every state in the country bar WA ends up in a Christmas lockdown.

There is no way this will happen, politicians are more likely to "open up for Christmas" and even if a lockdown is gonna happen they will wait and see for the next 10 days to avoid a lockdown

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

And Perth also gets this for Christmas!

Covid outbreak AND a record setting Christmas heatwave, merry loving Christmas

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

whilst we in the rest of Australia are angry at WA for their hardline closed borders. Etc. and so on.

Well WA had yet another single case day from the latest outbreak, so it's looking like we've gotten away with suppressing yet another delta outbreak

The rest of the country are just poo poo at this game

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

They also put in party rules to forbid spills on a pm who has just won an elections didn't they?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

So the 15k from just NSW/Vic puts Australia at #16 worldwide (based on yesterday's numbers on covidly.com)

If this rate keeps up I think we can break top 10

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

It would be trivial to set a geofence callback in the app that would do that... It'd be like 4 lines of code

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

go_banana posted:

21,151. Guess we are doing this :getin:.
Herd immunity for some, disability and death for others.

Remember the 25,000 cases a day prediction for NSW by the end of January? We're about a month in front.

West state best state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Australia can't even do something as objectively good as putting down a national fibre optic network