Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
38/38 Ranked in OECD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Feels like Sydney is adamant to stick to the "gently caress around" strategy

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Brisbane also just had a snap 4 day lock down that seems to have worked, and the mine sight in the NT also locked down straight away and shut down transmission.

The solution is to not gently caress around, now Sydney is finding out.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

incredible Joh Bjelke-Petersen energy

starkebn
May 18, 2004

gently caress yeah Victoria! I hope Qld can pull out of this as quickly.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Let 'er rip

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2021/08/19/cant-pretend-nsw-covid posted:

Australia must come to terms with the Delta variant being here to stay and accept that COVID zero is not possible, the NSW Premier has declared.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I don't think Queensland will stay out of the Covid wild ride for long, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong. I like being able to do my hug sports.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

yeah, there's going to be blood

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2021/08/24/ninety-per-cent-vaccination-needed

quote:

New expert analysis argues Australia must vaccinate 90 per cent of the whole population before removing COVID restrictions, warning of huge outbreaks and thousands of deaths under the current reopening plan.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

https://thenewdaily.com.au/finance/finance-news/2021/09/13/australia-manufacturing-report

Australia’s capacity to manufacture goods lowest in developed world: Report

quote:

A new report has found Australia has the lowest level of manufacturing self-sufficiency of any OECD country, prompting calls for the Morrison government to appoint a minister for Australian sovereign capability.

The report from Flinders University’s Australian Industrial Transformation Institute shows Australia is independently unable to meet its essential needs in times of crisis, following a three-decade-long collapse in Australian manufacturing.

It comes after Australia’s weakened manufacturing sector was forced to pivot towards making essential supplies including surgical masks and hand sanitiser during the pandemic, as the country’s limited production capabilities were left exposed.

The Australian Sovereign Capability Alliance (ASCA) commissioned the research and its director and spokesman, Martin Hamilton-Smith, a former leader of the South Australian Liberal Party, told The New Daily the findings are a warning of what could happen if Australia was “cut off” from foreign manufacturing again.

“We have become dependent on everything that we need to survive in an emergency coming in from overseas,” Mr Hamilton-Smith said.

“That means we could be cut off – we saw that happen during the pandemic when we had trouble getting masks, sanitiser, respirators and pharmaceuticals because other national governments said we are not letting you have those things that are manufactured in our countries.

“There are things that we need to be able to do as a nation and make here in Australia in order to survive a crisis … what’s clear is that at the moment there are important gaps, and that leaves all Australians exposed and very vulnerable.”

According to the report, Australia has largely regressed to become an importer of goods in the areas of health, energy and infrastructure, defence and space, science, communications and technology, and advanced manufacturing.

It has a self-sufficiency ratio of 71.5 per cent – compared to 83.2 per cent in the UK, 89 per cent in the US, 120.8 per cent in Germany, and 203.2 per cent in Ireland.

The research also reveals Australia is too reliant on non-value-added raw material and food exports and is the lowest producer of manufactured goods it consumes in the OECD.

It supports separate research from Harvard University that ranked Australia 93rd in the world for economic complexity.

The research says the Australian government “is yet to commit to the development of a comprehensive national strategy based on a robust assessment of our strengths and vulnerabilities”.

Mr Hamilton-Smith said the “logical thing to do” – given how many government departments would be required to create a national strategy – was to appoint a dedicated minister in the national cabinet to look after Australian sovereignty capability.

Currently, the Coalition government has put forward a $1.5 billion Modern Manufacturing Strategy while Labor has proposed a $15 billion National Reconstruction Fund to address Australia’s manufacturing woes.

Mr Hamilton-Smith said although the strategies were “good work”, there was no current national plan of action.

“It’s piecemeal and there doesn’t seem to be a co-ordinated national approach – that’s what we are seeking,” he said.

While some economists say the industry is too small to warrant such a significant focus, Mr Hamilton-Smith said it was a problem that needs to be addressed by the government.

“The answer won’t always be to manufacture in Australia … We either need to be able to manufacture it here or we need to be able to store it here. The important thing is we need control over those essential things we need to survive a crisis,” he said.

Last year, many companies switched their attention to manufacturing essential supplies as the government scrambled to secure enough personal protective equipment for the nation’s health workers.

The South Australian company Detmold Group, which normally makes packaging for KFC and McDonald’s, manufactured surgical masks, while Western Australian brewing companies Spinifex Brewing Co and Limestone Coast Brewing shifted to producing World Health Organisation-grade hand sanitiser.

The ASCA says it has provided its research to the Prime Minister and the leader of the opposition, as well as to state premiers, opposition leaders and selected parliamentary committees.

It said it will seek further industry funding to begin sectoral industry supply chain research.

It's been pretty typical for ages to think we just dig poo poo up and ship it overseas when we could do a lot more processing here, but this solidifies those thoughts.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm at the "applying for non-combat entry level tech positions in the ADF" stage of depression and unemployment.

well, better than my depression induced infantry officer entry attempt at age 25, which was stymied because I let on I'd been diagnosed with depression

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Animal Friend posted:

SA parliament passed a law limiting the powers of the state corruption investigator.

The bill passed through both houses in 2 hours and not a single MP voted against it.

Democracy at work.

That's cooked

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Carbon capture and storage is bullshit and no attempt in the world had shown good results.

Blue hydrogen is bullshit and is just a way for coal mines keep digging poo poo up

The biggest direct carbon capture plant in the world opened in Iceland and it only captures the equivalent of the output of about 900 cars a year.

The Glasgow meeting is going to be a whole bunch of countries arguing about how their bullshit is so much better than everyone else's.

NET zero is just a weasel term to justify continuing to output huge amounts of carbon into the atmosphere but saying you'll make up for it in some magical technological way.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hopefully outbreaks now are in double vaccinated people and the worst for them is a few days unwell at home

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I notice no mp recently has actually resigned their position in parliament permanently in disgrace. It's always just resigning from their ministry positions to sit on the backbench with their thumb up their arse until the heat blows over.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Whitlam was dismissed because he was in a relationship with a strong willed woman and one of his ministers made a money deal with an Arab

lol

lmao

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I've got a mate who's not vaxxed and had been saying he didn't know how safe it was, he was young and healthy, blah blah blah - all the usual taking points. I asked him what he would do if the gov (Qld) mandated fully vaxxed to go out to gyms etc when they open up and his argument now is just "nope, I won't- just because they're making us"

I think it's possible that's a lot of people's stance - pure stubborn opposition because they're being told to.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

If they run a campaign on how much of a fuckup Morrison and his cronys have been they'd win for sure. If they take the path of :decorum: and just run on policy reforms they're hosed.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Scomo had terminal marketing brain (even though he had been fired from marketing jobs multiple times.) I don't think he's had a genuine emotional response in public apart from the few times he's gotten fed up with reporters and snapped a little..

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Anidav posted:

I appreciate the reading up on fringe elements because the upcoming federal election will be decided by how they behave and if they centralise behind a singular party.

Why expect their preferences to flow anywhere but LNP?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Bucky Fullminster posted:

You get that this in itself is significant and can potentially change the future of Australia, right? If they suppress enough of the ALP vote in the right electorates, they can absolutely swing the election. And even just having all that kind of content being thrown around makes a difference too.

I was trying to imply that they're not going to be any different than people voting for other crank groups. They all flow towards LNP. People voting for Cossacks would have just voted for some other gently caress wit anyway.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

We've dodged the plague for two years and now it's ramping up people have decided they don't care anymore.

What's the full "lucky country" quote?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Kids under 12 aren't vaccinated, and I haven't seen a single mention of bringing the eligibility date forward

I've got a flight booked for my whole family to leave on Tuesday and I'm looking at reports that omicron infections are doubling every two days and I'm worried about my 11 year old son

starkebn
May 18, 2004

People will vote for their team come election day, it doesn't matter to them who the member will be.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

We've been completely betrayed by Let 'er Rip. Or leaders looked at the rest of the world and decided to copy the plague states, and ignore the successes of China.

Thanks Christmas holidays.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

25000 is probably the level they know hospitals are absolutely going to collapse at, so I'm sure they put out a statement to say modelling showed that's where we're going to peak.

Doubling every two days baby.

We're going to see mass death because hospitals won't be able to admit anyone.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Goffer posted:

Hospitalisations / icu / ventilators got up to 1268 / 242 / 123 last outbreak.

We're only up to 832 / 69 / 19 so far, but there's a lag of 5-10 days from detection to hospitalization (depending on who's counting), and probably more of a lag between hospital bed to icu to ventilator.

Might be less intense an illness as well, plus a lot of cases are probably vaxed and not suffering as much as they might otherwise, but a few days of 20k cases will push those hospital limits pretty hard.

Yeah, hospitalisation lags infection, death lags hospitalisation. I expect the hospitalisation graph will follow the infection curve and then the death curve will follow that.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

One doctor in South Africa said the few people she had treated who were getting sick with omicron were all quite young so they had mild cases. That was taken and signal boosted to the loving moon to mean covid was over and Let 'er Rip.

Now we're here, you're welcome Australia.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

ShoeFly posted:

Happy New Year you bastards.

My partner’s about to go into labour without me but that’s fine because we gotta let’r rip!

gently caress, that's rough. Sorry you're in this situation.

Happy New Year everyone.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

It might not mean much to the plague states of the south (PSOTS) but QldHealth threw in the towel today

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Oh jeez, who could have seen this coming?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I've been watching Utopia the last few days, is this from the script?

Albanese posted:

We’ve already outlined how our new High Speed Rail Authority will kickstart this nation building project by updating the business case and building on Labor’s work from when we were last in government.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The press release says they're going to set up a new board to do a business case for Sydney to Newcastle

lol, lmao

This isn't meant to do anything but be an announcable

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I'll be overjoyed to come back in 10 20 30 years and eat crow when I can travel on a high speed train from Brisbane to Melbourne

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Looking mild today

crepeface posted:

how could anyone have foreseen this

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Labor stands by the LNP in this difficult time

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I'd like to say thank you to Gladys for her "let's wait and see" strategy when that limo (?) driver got infected shuttling airplane staff around.

starkebn posted:

Feels like Sydney is adamant to stick to the "gently caress around" strategy

It seems we're really finding out how mild this wave is

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Have they stopped singing and dancing at Hillsong?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01...post-1207604365

quote:

NSW CHO: If you have had COVID you are not considered at risk of reinfection for four weeks

NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said the state was moving away from the terminology close contacts or casual contacts.

"We are trying to provide the community with an understanding of their risk asking them to calibrate their response depending on that level of risk," Dr Chat said.

She went on to explain the risks for those who have recently had COVID.

"If you have been diagnosed with COVID, so people with recent COVID ... within four weeks of when they have been released from isolation they are not considered at risk of reinfection and therefore don't have to isolate," she said.

"So that may not have been clear. So for instance if you've had COVID you have gone in and done your seven days isolation, for the next four weeks even if you get exposed to COVID or someone else in your household gets COVID, that hadn't had it before, you do not need to isolate.

"You are considered pragmatically not to be considered at risk of reinfection for that period."

It doesn't seem great to me that they're only expecting safety from reinfection for 4 weeks, but I'm a doomer

starkebn fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 14, 2022

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Rob Filter posted:

Can anyone recommend any good quality large N95 masks? The masks I got from Bunnings are slightly too small for my face and don't pass a seal check.

I just ordered a box of these, can't recommend them until they arrive though

https://www.australianp2mask.com.au/product/amd-nano-tech-p2-particulate-respirator-masks-t4hl-headband-box-of-50/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

They're just drunk all the time