Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

freebooter posted:

For real? I haven't heard of that but my partner is immunocompromised and she's shortly getting her second Pfizer...

My partner is immunosuppressed for rheumatoid arthritis using a TNF-alpha inhibitor and had similar concerns. Both she and I had two doses of Pfizer and then four weeks later had antibodies testing performed. We both had a “normal” response to the vaccine for the antibodies expected, I think IgG? I’m not a doctor, she’s a GP.

She had zero reactions to the doses and was concerned that it wouldn’t have worked but all seems good.

I know, it’s anecdata, but info is hard to come by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Aware posted:

Did you have to request an antibody test or is that just something they're doing for a selection of recipients?

Have to talk to your GP to try and organise it.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

JBP posted:

I'd vaccinate the population that want it three months ago.

You have to prioritise aged care shut-ins first, otherwise the LNP mail ballot vote harvesting operation won’t work.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

50 local cases in NSW today.

Golden shower standard State.

Edit: can’t hear “Deputy Commissioner Worboys” without hoping we’ve gone full Fury Road.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

spaceblancmange posted:

Sure, but it shows even infectious disease experts can suffer from Sydney brain.

Sydney Exceptionalism.

Manifest Sydney?

Democracy Manifest!

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

So, hard border closures with QLD and Vic when?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Terrorist attacks kill fraction of a fraction of population: surrender liberties! More war! With us or against us!

Global pandemic: muh freedoms! Blood for the economy god!

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Cpt Soban posted:

They can make money off war so it's OK /s. A pandemic? Not so much.

This, and naked politics. Howard wanted Khaki Elections, hence East Timor (LOL sorry about ur offshore gas fields!) and the Global War on Terror (let’s check in with how Iraq and Afghanistan are going).

Abbot told the party room under Turnbull that he would oppose any climate agreement because he wanted the issue alive to wedge Labor at the election.

Luckily for the coalition we have short memories and some kind of masochism disorder.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

hooman posted:

Rather than vaccinating all of Australia twice, how about we just vaccinate one dude 52 million times.

Vaccine Georg is an outlier and should not have been counted*.

*Except for LNP marketing efforts.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Eediot Jedi posted:

Not sure how to embed a tweet in a post but lmao you have to hear the last response.

https://twitter.com/abc730/status/1414895880767885312?s=20

Paraphrasing but
"So if NSW failed to lock down in a reasonable time that would make the NSW government at fault?"
"Well historically NSW has been very good and most states have averaged 11 days lost to lockdowns but in Victoria it's 149 days."

How bad was the pandemic grandpa?
Well we lost 149 days to lockdown, it was hell.
Didn’t that save lives?
The economy, son, the economy.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Tommunist posted:

Im sorry your situation sucks but the blame lies at the fault of a federal government who refused to consider better quarantine locations and who have failed to deliver timely vaccine. Cutting incoming caps seems a prudent decision given none of these states want to be locked down.

The federales have been very successful in making quarantine a state issue when it is clearly the responsibility of the commonwealth, according to section section 51 of the constitution. Unless the power to make laws doesn’t include the power to give a poo poo, or offer any practical solutions whatsoever.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

freebooter posted:

Willing to bet the government goes over personal applications with a fine-toothed comb but rubber stamps anything a big company like Seven puts in front of it without a second glance

Well of course, why else would Kerry Stokes donate to the coalition if it wasn’t expecting results. Or, you know, looking the other way whilst someone commits the occasional alleged war crime.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

Federal Liberals always do badly in Victoria, so the added antipathy here towards Morrisson and his failures re: vaccine rollout and the NSW favouritism won't hurt him or the tories too much.

ALP need to run wall to wall advertising with Frydenberg calling the state “whingers” and pushing the PM for Sydney line.

Make them fight for every seat.

Capt.Whorebags fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 20, 2021

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Lots of reporting today about Scotty apologising for the slow vaccine rollout. Considering his reticence to admit any fault whatsoever I’d say the latest polls have them at least a bit rattled.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Spookydonut posted:

It's not a protest unless a journalist just doing their job gets pepper sprayed and by that metric this was a protest.

Escaping the surveillance net is a challenge. Don’t use a phone, or a registered opal card. Use cash for any purchases.

Then try and get home or to personal transport without being tracked on CCTV.

Maybe take a different coloured jacket/jumper/hat or something.

And yeah, wear a mask.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Vaccine rollout is why we're still vulnerable. Hotel quarantine is how it escaped. Being unable to bring it back down after it escapes? That's all on Sydney's lovely full-of-holes lockdown.

As a resident of NSW I say take off and nuke the site from orbit.

It’s the only way to be sure.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

The lovely part is the pure politics of the whole thing. Sure vaccines will have issues, particularly ones developed rapidly or using new technology such as mRNA.

But we’ve had “gold standards” vs “unnecessary lockdowns”, “Dictator Dan”.

Or Morrison’s mission accomplished style announcements about securing vaccine supply when he hadn’t. Or it isn’t a race. The mixed messaging on essential workers. Blaming ATAGI. Blaming under 40s for non-compliance with lockdowns but not providing financial support. Criticising vaccine hesitancy by groups ineligible to get a vaccine until recently or unable to get an appointment.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Number! Go! Up!

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

I can't find a good supplier for Krokodil here unfortunately so I'll never complete the bingo card

Hook me up with that Sputnik V goodness so I can ride a horse shirtless like the Caucasus super man that I aspire to.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Colander of steal.

Canberra is going to build a yuuuuge wall and make Queanbeyan pay for it.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

A question about the juxtaposition of Dictator Dan and Plague Spreader Gladys.

During the worst of Vioctorias outbreak/lockdowns Dan was on TV every day in his North Face jacket, facing hostile/stupid questions and putting himself in the public eye largely saying the same thing over and over. "Here is the new number, here are the new restrictions. Blah de blah de blah."

When all was said and done, this ended up gaining him popularity. Despite some grumbles from people who would never have been fans anyway, he largely cemented his place as a popular leader.

Now Gladys is also fronting the press every day on TV. Saying a similar thing over and over. "Here is the new number, here are the new restrictions, here are the new suburbs/towns under 'lockdown'. Blah de blah de blah." But is it gaining/cementing her popularity? She does not seem to be winning any new fans, nor even maintaining her popularity levels. Possibly even the opposite.

So apart from the one glaring difference between the two, (Dan did a hard harsh lockdown that eventually brought the cases/deaths down vs Gladys's half arsed piecemeal soft lockdowns where the number seems to be growing and spreading geographically), what else could be the difference between perceptions of popularity?

From what little I saw, Dan seemed genuinely willing to answer questions and explain his actions, admit some regrets and try to build up a sense of community and empathy.

Gladys is taking the Scromo approach of denying they’ve done anything wrong, getting annoyed at journos, and blaming the population for the shitshow of her government’s own creation.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Remember if you want to go to the snow, you must stop off at your South Coast pad first.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Case in loving point yesterday, Gladys didn’t mention anything about a statewide lockdown at the 11am presser - Barilaro let regional MPs know who then fed it out via Twitter.

Many people in Regional NSW found out at 3:30 - 4:00pm that they were going in to lockdown at 5pm. It had been expected for some time but the way it was handled was unnecessarily bad.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

bell jar posted:

dissolve nsw, move the victoria-qld border to just below the blue mountains, everyone wins

gently caress that, I am not going to live in Queensland.

Move the border to just below Ballina, they can having loving Byron.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Cpt Soban posted:

"gently caress 500 cases, lets go all in for 600+. Lock that poo poo in Eddy."

- NSW Government

At some point they'll wheel out the old TV cabinet you had in Primary school- The one with all the metallic texter scribbles around the metal frame. Plug in a laptop via AV inputs into the CRT and slide a DVD into the Dell laptop. Gladys's face will appear and state a carefully crafted speech including: "Let me please ask" and this cracka "I remind all of you" and "next question" before it turns off and the lowly Young Liberal electorate staffer slowly pushes it back stage.

NSW Libs already have the latest technology for just this thing:
https://youtu.be/ShiShrR_nh8

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

realbez posted:

Skipped the 700s, nice one

Test results (it was poo) are currently taking around 4 days to come back, so we could well have exceeded 1000 already.

Was it here that I read contact tracing is two weeks behind?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Konomex posted:

So now that NSW has given up even trying to contact trace the Sydney area, how close to collapse is the hospital system there? At what amount of cases do people start dying on the street? I assume they've got that modelled. When does Gladys start to panic?

There are 85ish current NSW ICU cases that are COVID-19 related, out of a reported ICU bed capacity of 500, although I’ve also seen 800 as the reported capacity. Usually an average ICU stay is usually under a week because you go back to a ward or, well, die. We are seeing COVID patients stay in ICU for 3 weeks or more.

I think we’ll have issues with lack of trained ICU staff at some point. NSW Health claims to be able to quadruple ICU capacity in a surge but I doubt there are staff sitting around just waiting for a phone call.

The reports of long term side effects from prolonged ventilator use are worrying. The apparent cognitive decline could result in a further increase in coalition voters.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I can see why you post your doomsdaying here because you'd never fit all this on a sandwich board.

After posting yesterday I read up a bit more on NSW ICU capacity and surge capacity. There are 800 or so ICU beds available and that can surge to 2500.

But…

Some of that surge is “ICU ready” beds in the hospital that can be used pretty much straightaway, whilst a lot is “ICU adjacent” beds that can be commandeered into a quasi ICU capability if needed. Think high dependency units, cardiac care units, surgery recovery beds etc.

Those beds are currently being used for their regular function - they are not unused wards and wings of hospitals waiting to swing into action.

And then how do you staff them all?

Also, beds does not equal ventilators of which NSW had under 1000 ventilators available across the state.

Here’s the link: https://www.mja.com.au/system/files/2020-04/Preprint%20Litton%206%20April%202020.pdf

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Comstar posted:

I'm guessing that means the Fed LNP leadership knows the NSW LNP leadership is toast and wants to let them die in the street so they can then come in and help their replacement.

I don’t know if that’s the case, I would expect that NSW Libs to be in a better position than the feds even with the bungles. ALP is non existent in NSW at the moment.

Frankly I’m surprised feds didn’t use this as an opportunity to swoop in, “save the day” and take credit. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s pure Morrison petulance.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Budzilla posted:

What is the next milestone? 10k?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

bowmore posted:

polls don't mean anything reminder number 10,000+

Agree with the sentiment but I'm genuinely curious if any of the major pollsters have changed their methodology since the last election.

I know there was post election analysis that showed significant "herding" and that the breakdown of the poll results indicates the polling was overall not too bad 2PP but that 2PP doesn't translate into seats, i.e. Labor was picking up voters in seats that were already Labor.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I just remembered Deb Frecklington

What are some politicians you guys remember?

I remember when we used to call Bill Shorten "Biff Shortbus" and other riffs an how much of an empty suit he seemed to be, and we longed for Albo.

Good times.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

So Scromo has just announced that we're receiving 4 million extra Pfizer doses from UK in the next month. Along with the 0.5m from Singapore, maybe the odds are in fact shortening for an election in the next couple of months. He will go with a narrative of "on track for re-opening" or similar with the usual "don't change horses now" crap.

There's a trip to Washington for defence meetings in either Oct/Nov so that may be a factor in possible times for a poll.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Lolie posted:

Our current outbreak started because a limo driver wasn't taking appropriate precautions while transporting an international freight crew, so it wasn't because people couldn't stand not travelling at a personal level. International freight has been hugely impacted by covid, but supply chains are dependent on it so it's going to continue irrespective of the risks.

Don't forget that the initial stages of the outbreak were poorly handled because the NSW Premier had gone all in on "No more lockdowns".

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

NSW is not a forever LNP hellstate - Labor were in power 1941 - 1964, 1976 - 1987 and again 1995 - 2010. Both majors have had relatively equal air time.

Sure there was a lot of stink around corruption in the last ten years but that's baked in to NSW politics for all parties.

NSW is a hellstate regardless of who is on the treasury benches.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Phigs posted:

Labor haven't had a strong opposition presence since Rudd in 06-07. Maybe they just aren't trying, but I feel like the media has changed a bit since then and are getting better at not platforming Labor.

Interesting to see some actual anti-Morrison articles cropping up in News outlets (news.com.au was running pretty hard on the fathers day trip) and the recent announcement to soften tone on climate change across the whole News Corpse stable.

Is Moloch sniffing the wind and trying to stay relevant? His core demographic has slowly been dying off. There have been a few analytical pieces on Guardian, SMH etc on the recent change of tack.

Rupert backed Blair and Kevin'07 so weathervaning is not out of character for him.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Another scam message from Craig Kelly.

This one is directing me to uaptga.info - I am 50/50 on this being either a politically legit scam (actually from UAP) or malware.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Speaking of, international borders are supposed to open later this year.

You can afford one international trip...

Piss on Reagan's grave, or Thatcher's grave?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

JBP posted:

He's the only labour union president and united states president ever you fucken perfectionists

You're right, we should cut the guy some slack on his right wing politics because he used to represent salt of the earth types like *checks notes* hollywood movie stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Mr. Humalong posted:

You seem oddly excited to see a group of Jews beaten.

Is there a handy list of which religious groups we need to have special consideration for?

Like I get that most people would be supportive of raiding a Scientology conference that was breaking the rules, but at some point it crosses the line to "oh wow, we can't be seen to be violating religious beliefs"