Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The loving gall to include the assistance statistic in the article about how they gave an abuser a discharge to muddy the waters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

StrangeThing posted:

I mean I’m sure some people want to just visit friends but there are plenty of couples who have been separated, people who have been stopped from visiting dying relatives. I wouldn’t minimize the type of harm and grief that causes.

Speaking as someone whose best friend (who I considered chosen family) died in Melbourne just after an earlier lockdown came down: it was awful beyond measure not being able to visit her in hospital and having to attend her funeral in a loving zoom call, but given the option to travel I would have unequivocally said "gently caress off" because I'm not a shithead plague rat and I had no intention of having to bury my mother, or partner, or anyone else because of a selfish desire to put everyone at risk by traveling during a pandemic.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

alf_pogs posted:

that sucks, really sorry for your loss.

Thanks. We knew it was coming as she had metastatic breast cancer for about 6 years, but we at least got to spend time with her two weeks prior on her 36th birthday, and probably gave her the last really good time of her life. Which is all kinds of hosed up bittersweet.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Albo's existence as a total political nonentity and scomo's successful plan to abrogate responsibility by making covid a de facto state issue by virtue of a complete lack of coherent federal response is very likely to ensure a tepid, yet still inevitable, lib win at the next federal election.

Labor's inability to capitalise on any of the innumerable own goals of the current government has rendered them as a complete wet fart on a federal level. There's a massive need for enthusiastic, motivated, firebrand leadership in Labor, that just isn't being fulfilled. And I'm saying this in full cognizance of the fact I'm cheerleading for the lesser of two evils.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Lolie posted:

Honestly, if you were going to move someone from the Senate to the House to set them up for a future leadership run, Wong would be the obvious choice.

I hope Labor loses the seat. It's a shocking move being made for all the wrong reasons.

Penny Wong is not interested in the leadership. Catagorically.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Cartoon posted:

Ronald Reagan was possibly the most destructive and corrosive US president of all time. Hard to fathom why he is so popular, in general and why KK is lionising him in particular. Anyone who praises Reagan should immediately be asked 'How's the war on drugs going?' (then shot into the sun)

He's popular for the same reason Trump was popular: his awful policies hurt the people that right-wingers have been taught to hate. He let AIDS rip through the gay community and made sure that the poors (and by extension the minorities) suffered economically.

The cruelty is the point.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

StrangeThing posted:

"But China did it", etc.

Exactly, and the data from Israel was extremely "messy" in that it's hard to tease out how much of the wane in effectiveness was due to certain age groups, etc. We simply do not know enough about it - other than that we know Pfizer vaccines retain their effectiveness against serious disease. That's good!

How about Astrazeneca? I got my first shot a day before the initial disallowment for under 40s and since had my second shot, but won't likely be able to access Pfizer until Australia has its booster plans sorted whenever that is.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Thanks for the responses everyone, I'm feeling a whole lot less imminently deathy.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Lolie posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-21/tuesday-am-briefing/100476980

Between this and swimming pools opening next week, a whole lot of NSW parents are going to be feeling very relieved.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Hospitals no longer require any additional Federal crisis funding just prior to let 'er rip day because the states have had time to prepare.

This is fine.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

StrangeThing posted:

This discussion is pretty lovely because if we changed the topic to something like obesity, we would agree that rationing care is pretty terrible - even if the majority of this country is overweight.

Ignoring the fact that you're a golem hewn out of bad faith arguments:

Yeah except obese people can't spread an airborne potentially fatal condition to others by walking around, and aren't deliberately coughing in the faces of people who are asking them not to do so with the intent of making them sick.

A better analogy would be "should we give the liver transplant to the unrepentant alcoholic who regularly announces their intent to keep drinking? Or prioritise others?"

Back of the loving queue with them.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Have the small people finished whipping the horses so that we can figure out which horse is in sufficient pain to outrun the other whipped horses yet?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
South Australia has been community transmission free for months now, and the inevitable has just happened.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-25/sa-records-three-new-cases-of-covid-19/100651000

3 loving flights.

But at least we're open at Christmas! Nanna will put on a super spread.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So if I'm double Astrazeneca vaxxed and am due for a top up early January which is the best top-up to get?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

freebooter posted:

For people in SA - is it a weird feeling to have been COVID-zero for so long and all of a sudden have cases coming in and the government expecting you to be cool with it (even if you know it was inevitable)?

I'm double Astrazeneca vaxxed but with chronic bronchitis so I don't know what that means for me.

It's a sense of numbing inevitability. I don't know whether to just keep living cautiously like I've been doing for two years, or just become a complete hermit.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

freebooter posted:

I feel that. My partner's immunocompromised and when Victoria and NSW both abandoned zero-COVID it was a pretty difficult adjustment because as much as we might want to, it's not actually possible to be hermits forever - both of us will have to go back to the office eventually, never mind wanting to actually see our friends and family in a world where this is now just going to be around forever. I have to believe that being triple vaxxed means she'll be OK because if I don't believe that I don't know how we'll get through each day in the coming years.

I do actually believe she'll be OK, since some people in her US Facebook support groups with her condition caught it before they were ever vaccinated and got through it OK. So that's good. But it's still a loving lovely new status quo to adjust to. At least we live in a place where our government gave it their best shot to keep the loving thing out, if I'd lived in the UK or US over the past two years I would've gone loving insane.

Thanks for the perspective.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The entirety of TAS is an astute political comment.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Yesterday's daily count for South Australia was more than half of the combined count for all of 2020 and up to end of November 2021.

Restrictions will continue to be relaxed.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

abigserve posted:

Are people with toddlers/small children legit sitting in a car for 4 hours to get the whole family tested?

If you have any knowledge regarding an available alternative I would be legitimately ecstatic to hear it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Why, they'd need to convince the populace to vote against their interest!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

dr_rat posted:

I still don't quite know or understand what could possibly go so wrong in your life that you feel that voting for dutton is a thing you should do.

Laybah waste stop the boats lift don't lean battler racism. :colbert:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
New cases in SA over the last couple of weeks.

Don't think we're ever going to see covid zero again.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

quote:

Only people who live with a confirmed COVID-19 case would be classified as a close contact under a proposal to be considered by national cabinet.

So I could be invited up to someone's apartment, or take someone to a hotel, have an eight hour gently caress session where we get all up in and around each other's faces, and this would not be considered a close contact.

Stunning.

The best thing about lowering the bar in terms of tracking contacts is how much easier that's going to be in terms or containing the spread.:saddowns:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

freebooter posted:

I assume you'll still get notified if a positive case was at a venue you entered, because otherwise what's the point of QR check-ins?

SA health has dropped the ball so hard on this. My girlfriend got her face painted by someone who turned out to have COVID at the time. This was on the 12th. She logged a QR code on the day as he had one set up in order for anyone getting their face painted to get tracked, and the guy got tested/informed SA health about his status 3 days later. My girlfriend received no official contact in relation to this, and the guy's business has not as yet been updated. It will likely never be updated because the oldest listed COVID exposure sites listed on the SA health site are all more recent that that when sorted by exposure date. If we didn't happen to be contacted by someone who personally knew the guy and who related his positive test result to us, we would have blithely attended a Christmas celebration full of septuagenarian relatives untested.

Everyone involved did exactly the right thing and it didn't matter.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Senor Tron posted:

Yep, checking in feels useless in SA now because most sites aren't being announced or people contacted because contact tracing can't keep up with a new case every minute.

I'm 99% sure that I could code something up in SQL that could produce a list of contacts given the info collected by the contact tracing app and the detail of people who test positive which would produce a table of new contacts including contact venue, date, and time that you could feed into an auto SMS program. Even if you ran it once a day it'd be better than nothing.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
7 day quarantine with a test that gives a 30% false negative on the 6th as the only requirement.

Don't get sick or be disabled or require medical intervention in the next few months because the health system is about to get catastrophically overloaded and hospitals a Petrie dish of COVID.

What's the odds on the Big Opening Up being about ten times as impactful to business as previous measures that actually protected people because it turns out that dead and dying customers don't buy goods and services.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Please, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but I was looking up the efficacy of rapid tests and read that they return a positive result 70% of the time when the testee has COVID. This suggests a 30% failure rate to detect a positive case.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So my girlfriend and I have been feeling sick since Monday, same symptoms, got tested on Wednesday as it was the earliest available, and then yesterday night at 11:30 got the news that she tested positive and I negative. So now I've got to wait for another test, but the next available booking is the loving 4th.

gently caress's sake.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ShoeFly posted:

Happy New Year you bastards.

My partner’s about to go into labour without me but that’s fine because we gotta let’r rip!

This is frankly the least respectful euphemism for an episiotomy I've ever read, and I for one am appalled.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Staff shortages batter Australian economy as Covid surge leaves half of some companies’ employees unable to work
Trucking and meat industry among hardest hit amid fears some supermarkets may be forced to shut, while calls for free rapid antigen tests at work intensify

And to the surprise of no-one, the lives of dozens and health of hundreds of thousands has been sacrificed for nothing, because the economic impact of an unfettered pandemic will always exceed the impact of lockdown: a fact that the government had 2 years to learn and has pointedly ignored

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

abigserve posted:

For how long? Forever? We're never getting back to zero, unless we permanently close the borders to everyone, forever.

Not to the extent described above, but continuing to take action to flatten the loving curve would be useful. Some kind of change in course from full let er rip once omicron was identified would have been useful: we couldn't have stopped it entirely but at least could have done more than absolutely nothing to change our trajectory in the face of a changing landscape. There's a line between we'll all eventually get COVID and loving speedrunning it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
It's the Department of Locked Out and Locked Up.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Well that's not going to Streisand effect at all.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Hey Bucky, let me see if I can enunciate this properly:

I care about the rise in facism that appears to be springing up all over the globe. It is something that affects me both from a theoretical political perspective, because I'm an unabashed leftist and despise bigotry in all its forms, and from a personal perspective because my partner is Jewish, with grandparents on both sides who are Survivors.

Regardless, your posting in this thread alone is utterly exhausting, and actively reduces my drive to converse with others on the topic. I like this thread because it's a good distillation of issues affecting the country and provides me with insights that News corp/the Murdoch press does not, but rather than making a concise point and providing links to resources that I might find informative, you've designated yourself the Saviour of Political Discourse who must ensure the none avoids reading their Holy Writ, and in doing so have started to render this thread into an unreadable garbage pile full of overblown walls of text that are bereft of interest and 50% defensive. I want to use this thread to inform me and spur me to engage with others politically, but your methods, regardless of the purity of your motivations, are so aggravating and poorly executed that I want to take a break from the thread.

I am genuinely asking for you to reflect and consider the feedback you are receiving.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Why in the suffering gently caress Am I agreeing with her, of all people, over Labour in relation to a political position involving bigotry?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Elissimpark posted:

I'm not saying that you gotta hand it to her, but Jacqui (with the exceptions of some specific issues with Islam and ideas regards China and Australian foreign policy) generally falls towards the left on these kind of issues and she is very much against that kind of political bullshit.

She's the most frustrating person in politics because so many of her views are actually quite good, she's practically to the left of Labour on a whole range of issues, and seems to be an actual human being who cares about people rather than just another politician, but then she opens her mouth while thinking of brown people and something racist pops out.

Waiter, this delicious sundae has a fleck of poo in it and I can't quite bring myself to eat around it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Yeah, it's a way for people to rail against the messenger of "maybe we shouldn't rape as much or indeed at all" while maintaining a veneer of decorum.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Recoome posted:

Interacting with people is a normal part of working and it’s not the same doing it remotely. What’s there to elaborate on?

There’s significant advantages to contextual using work in a single setting rather than letting it bleed into the home but I guess you so t have a problem so no one can?

And this is related to your supposition about the size of goons' houses, which he was directly addressing, how?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

https://twitter.com/macleanbrendan/status/1496675123532730368?s=20&t=QEP_SXKhEG_R_jkzTWssgw

Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
https://twitter.com/TamePunk/status/1502896173744795655?s=20&t=KIKQVIVOdaaYUh5aGYUm9w

Amazing.