Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

hambeet posted:

they're gonna lock the borders again. hard vic.

Kinda surprised they haven't already tbh

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Konomex posted:

Contrary to what you might think, the man breathing fire is actually an essential worker desperately trying to maintain social distancing.

Can't wear a mask if your breath is fire. Take that cops.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

My little boy will be two before he meets his family in the UK for the first time. Breaks my heart really.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Eediot Jedi posted:

Oh poo poo regional vic open from 11:59 tonight. Unexpected.

Oh really?! Huzzah, gently caress it I'm getting some snow this weekend then...

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

freebooter posted:

It's a moot point because we aren't going to have mandatory vaccinations.

Vaccinations being mandatory to get on an airplane or work in certain industries, sure, but there are plenty of others things in the modern world that aren't "mandatory" but which you have to do anyway because otherwise it's impossible to get by. (Bank account, mobile phone, Medicare card etc). If someone doesn't have a medical reason but really doesn't want to get a vaccine, well, that's fine, you're just not going to be flying to Bali or working in policing/medicine/logistics.

Mandatory vaccination for some professions has been standard for years - hepatitis for medical staff etc.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

freebooter posted:

Feeling depressed about the IPCC report so I finally got around to changing my super from Rest (which actively invests in coal companies) to Australian Ethical. It takes all of ten minutes to sign up, if anybody else is still using the same super fund from their first hospo or retail job:

https://www.australianethical.com.au/

Yeah I've been with them for years now. Seem pretty good. Retail fund not industry so I'm not really sure how much is greenwashing and how much is genuine but may as well try hey?

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

bell jar posted:

dissolve nsw, move the victoria-qld border to just below the blue mountains, everyone wins

We'd like the Blue Mountains thx. Sydney can become south Brisbane though.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Tommunist posted:

6 more cases in Shepparton

Regional lockdown in 3....2....

Ah well was nice while it lasted.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Eediot Jedi posted:

Please don't suggest this to the lnp, they'll do it in a heartbeat. It'll be phrased like "should we let rip at A) 50% vaccine coverage, B) 70% vaccine coverage or C) 100% vaccine coverage"

Going to be a huge wave of antivax regret in about 6 months. It's one thing being anti Vax and riding on the herd immunity coattails of wider society in largely controlled diseases that as a society we are pretty insulated from like polio. This is a very different proposition and I think things are going to get very, very real very quickly.

Won't stop em though.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

My partner (38) tried to get the AZ shot at the weekend but was told by the clinic to wait for pfizer as she is breastfeeding. At this stage she should be eligible for pfizer in a couple of weeks anyway so in theory with the 3 weeks between doses compared with 8 - 12 for AZ at this stage waiting is a quicker route to full vaccination.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

My little brothers partner in the UK is covid positive, again. Bro is slightly symptomatic but tested negative yesterday. He's going to retest in a couple of days. He had pfizer and she had the AZ last year and they both had Covid around April last year. She's feeling worse than last time apparently but hopefully they'll come through it fine.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I have a nearly 2 year old so the Wiggles are effectively part of my daily life. They are actually pretty good and now that Canavan doesn't like them, they are even better.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I think they're blockading state borders or something. All the wingnut chuds on the off grid Facebook page I'm a member of for some reason were frothing about it this morning.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I keep seeing anti vax boomers plastering this piece of impenetrable logic everywhere and it might be the single dumbest thing I've ever seen in my entire life.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Hashy posted:

Feeling sick to the stomach about this becoming endemic. You do not want your immunocompromised aunt to get coronavirus; you don't even want to get coronavirus with a full course of vaccines raging through you. We have failed society's most vulnerable yet again

Yup I have multiple fully vaccinated family members at home in the UK with it at the moment - it doesn't sound pleasant even with mild symptoms. A whole bunch of the anti lockdown freedom people are going to get an extremely rude awakening over the next few months.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Pro life indeed

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Benito?!

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I can sort of understand the rationale of the small target strategy when anything and everything and ALP leader says will be twisted and used in attack pieces by the entirety of the print media in the country and in the knowledge that governments tend to be voted out, oppositions don't te d to get voted in.

It's poo poo and uninspiring but the cards are very much stacked against them whatever they do.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I'll eat my hat if Alan Jones, Clive Palmer and bigwigs like Tucker Carlson aren't vaccinated. I reckon Craig Kelly is at least sincere in his idiocy and is a prime demographic to join the host of conservative radio hosts in the US who realized they made a mistake as their lungs shut down.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Working on my new LNP coloring book. Get the crayons kids!

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Sweet I had my pfizer second dose *checks notes* about 2 months ago so RIP me I guess.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

freebooter posted:

But flu deaths don't happen smoothly across the year, they're largely clustered in winter, and the fact that the UK is recording this many deaths at what should be the safest time of year doesn't bode well for four months' time.

Hopefully this might one thing in our favor - a slightly seasonal aspect coming into summer may slightly curtail spread and buy us time to vaccinate before next winter.

Not a race though.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Halo14 posted:

Guarantee he’s fully vaxed and will be fine.

Alan Jones definitely.

I reckon Craig Kelly might just be dumb enough to believe his own bullshit. Hopefully anyway!

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I had to buy wholemeal flour instead of normal flour the other day because there was no normal flour left.

That is my panic buying story.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Sky news are puff piecing Dutton.

:auspol:

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

I think that's a pretty charitable view given that Gladys and Kerry have been saying "October is going to be when this get to it's worst" every week for about two months now. they know the worst hospitalisation rate and death count is coming, they just don't wanna face up to it publicly

Is this October peak theory only resting on an assumption that it will be mitigated seasonally and trough over summer? Given the way its trounced countries like Indonesia that seems slightly wishful?

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

The October peak is based on modelling assuming the current restrictions continue and the outbreak is slowly brought under control.

They know it's unrealistic, so they want to avoid too much discussion of it so that after it doesn't happen they can say "oh no, who could have predicted this?!".

Precedent: the way Gladys played Russian Roulette with Covid in NSW and when luck ran out did exactly the same thing.

Cool thank goodness they're not doing anything dumb like opening up prematurely then.

Been out of lockdown here for nearly a day now and just had new regional exposure sites pop up in a nearby town to us. I can't see any way that it's not going to blaze through regional vic too now.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Went to the market in Castlemaine today and there was a literal antivax stall setup there. I know it's a hotbed but I was pretty disappointed to see it. Reality is going to hit them like a ton of bricks when it gets loose.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Seems all the towns around us in central Vic felt it quite strongly and myself and my neighbours here all felt absolutely nothing at all?

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

In the supermarket in Kyneton today there were probably about 15 people in there unmasked - staff and customers.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Not that he'll get anywhere near the leadership but Matt Kean does seem out of place in the NSW Libs as a vaguely reasonable person?

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

1488 cases :godwin:

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

We're weighing up whether to move back to Brexit Island or not. Built a life here really but immediate family is there and we have a 2 year old who has never met most of them. I have no idea how long this will go on for and the not being allowed to leave is really hard.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

yoloer420 posted:

I've been seeing an increased number of people claim they have not been able to see family for 2.5 years due to covid restrictions.

It always seems to be 2.5 years, despite the first outbreak occurring in wuhan less than 2 years ago and the first real restrictions in Australia being implemented ~18 months ago.

I'm wondering if "I've not been able to see my family in 2.5 years" is some kind of new dog whistle for antivaxxers or what. Reddit and Facebook are packed with it though.

Seems about right for international or interstate family. I haven't seen my family in the UK since mid 2018 and would generally go back once every 2 years. Covid hit towards the end of that period so it's been significantly longer than the restrictions have been in force.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Err has anyone seen Gladys?

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Shirkelton posted:

Maybe a little, but he’s insanely weird in person.

Yeah advocating for climate change mitigation and being in the Liberal party at the same time. Figures.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Maybe I could pass my 2 year old off as a stunted 5 year old?

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Does anyone know what the go is with the vaccinated economy trial thing in regional vic wrt unvaccinated kids? Are we effectively considered unvaccinated if our 2 year old is with us? Not that we're going to take him to any crowded events!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Our house has no grid electricity connection at all so solar, battery and a generator are our only sources of power. Australia is stupidly well suited to solar, even in cloudy central Vic.

Since moving in, the generator has provided about 300 kwh of power and the solar 9000kwh and I could still fit another 4kw of panels on the roof. For most of the year the panels only run full power till 10ish in the morning till the battery recharges then they just load match for the rest of the day. For domestic power in this country solar is pretty incredible.