Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I think we didn't really have a thread to talk about the visual media we mass consume all the time, and how its also politics

For example, the replies:
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1410631347576741898

So, what's your fav movies/tv? Have you thought about the messages they send? Probably not lol but you should!

This is a NO "THE WIRE" zone. We know youve watched the wire. Yeah its good for the most part, no it doesnt mean you have a deep understanding of racial injustice in policing!!! God!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jericho is the only remotely anti liberal tv show and the only one worth discussing. Topic Locked.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I watched season 1 of motherland expecting a heel turn that the military was bad all along and instead they heel turned in to the witch thinking the military was bad sacrifices herself to save the military lmao

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
STALKER is a movie about hanging out with your two best buds and trying to make the world a better place.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

M*A*S*H is probably the only decent vaguely leftist show that really hit it off in the states that I can think of

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

so when is the next Ridley movie coming out

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I enjoyed that new bo burnham special on netflix due to also being a hosed up millennial

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
No Country for Old Men is the best movie of the last 20/30 years

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

T-Paine posted:

fury road is the best movie

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Skyl3lazer posted:

I watched season 1 of motherland expecting a heel turn that the military was bad all along and instead they heel turned in to the witch thinking the military was bad sacrifices herself to save the military lmao

Surprised that the show about shrill fascist women was actually fascist.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Surprised that the show about shrill fascist women was actually fascist.

Yeah but they set it up the entire time and the uberwitch literally mind controls the president to go to war!!! And then she's the good guy!!!???

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I enjoyed that new bo burnham special on netflix due to also being a hosed up millennial

it was good. also lol at how many libs misunderstood him entirely or brought in their own hosed up prejudices. hes making fun of white women and doing a no growth misogyny his whole rear end is showing :qq:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Larry Parrish posted:

Jericho is the only remotely anti liberal tv show and the only one worth discussing. Topic Locked.
is that the 2006 one? never seen it but probably because it was on CBS and everything on CBS has always been pure trash

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Strangers with Candy is the best comedy show of all time while we're talking

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
don't we already have a pop culture thread? this is splittism comrade

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Aglet56 posted:

Wait until you find out about the book and video game threads!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
The Angry Birds movie is xenophobic garbage.

Here's the Wikipedia summary doing most of the taking for me:

quote:

Red is an angry bird and has been an outcast from the others on Bird Island ever since he was a hatchling due to his short temper and his huge, jet-black eyebrows. When he accidentally causes a premature hatching of another bird's egg, he is sentenced to anger management class, which is the highest penalty allowed on the island. Red's classmates Chuck, who is hyperactive and can move at hypervelocity, and Bomb, who can cause explosions with his anger and fear, try to befriend him, but he avoids them.

One day, a boat docks at the island's shore, damaging Red's house. The birds greet two green-colored pigs, the captain Leonard and his assistant Ross, who claim to become peaceful explorers bringing offerings of friendship. They introduce the birds to various innovations, including a giant slingshot, but Red becomes suspicious of the pigs' motives and sneaks into Leonard's boat where he finds more pigs hidden below deck, contradicting Leonard’s claim that he and Ross were alone. When he returns and shows everyone the other pigs, the birds refuse to believe his claim that the pigs are up to no good, and Leonard claims that he only lied to see if Bird Island was safe for his cousins, who he says are simple-minded

The pigs ultimately want to steal all the eggs from Bird Island and Red is hailed as a hero for distrusfing the foreigners and figuring out their evil free loading schemes.

Here's some articles about it too:

https://www.flavorwire.com/578746/white-supremacists-have-finally-found-a-worthy-allegory-in-the-angry-birds-movie

https://splinternews.com/why-racists-on-the-internet-are-arguing-about-the-angry-1793854430

Zurtilik has issued a correction as of 21:54 on Jul 2, 2021

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Zurtilik posted:

The Angry Birds movie is xenophobic garbage.

Here's the Wikipedia summary doing most of the taking for me:

The pigs ultimately want to steal all the eggs from Bird Island and Red is hailed as a hero for distrusfing the foreigners and figuring out their evil free loading schemes.

Here's some articles about it too:

https://www.flavorwire.com/578746/white-supremacists-have-finally-found-a-worthy-allegory-in-the-angry-birds-movie

https://splinternews.com/why-racists-on-the-internet-are-arguing-about-the-angry-1793854430

I actually saw this movie in the theatre (the school I work at took our students there). I wasn't expecting much, since most kids animated movies are just bland poo poo with dumb jokes, and this was certainly that (some joke about an Eagle pissing a whole bunch, I think?), but man was I doing a lot of side eye while watching it. Like I definitely found myself incredulous that it could be saying what it seemed to be saying, but it just kept reinforcing that these immigrants were super bad and not to be trusted, and the angry rear end in a top hat character was %100 justified in not trusting them. Then I think they invade the pig island and gently caress their poo poo up (Iraq allegory, except it was both right to go in and turned out great), and this was an awesome and heroic thing to do. None of the other adults seemed to notice, but they weren't really the type to be analytical of movies. I couldn't believe that was the message it was sending, I had to go home and look poo poo up on the internet to make sure I wasn't crazy. I'm probably misremembering some specifics, but I distinctly remember my reaction being a total "No, what!?! Really?!?! That can't be right..."

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
im halfway thru season 3 of veep its pretty funny

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Aglet56 posted:

Movies and Television's pop culture status: Denied.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Aglet56 posted:

didnt see one on the first 5 pages but i'm also very dumb so ?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's this movie where this extremely technologically advanced society in africa doesn't bother to use their tech to help any africans outside their walls, kills the dude who wanted to use their tech for the liberation of african people, and then decides to contact the un to give all their technology to nato. it should be noted that despite being an extremely technologically advanced society this particular society chooses their leader via combat to the death, which I'm pretty sure no one questioned because "africans"

they got their technology by happenstance, and then flourished entirely due to luck. because of course the problems in africa are actually caused by a lack of technological know how and not in fact centuries of looting and governments set up to guarantee future profit for the west

presumably the plot wasn't written by white supremacists, but there's not really any way to know for sure

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Dolphin posted:

there's this movie where this extremely technologically advanced society in africa doesn't bother to use their tech to help any africans outside their walls, kills the dude who wanted to use their tech for the liberation of african people, and then decides to contact the un to give all their technology to nato. it should be noted that despite being an extremely technologically advanced society this particular society chooses their leader via combat to the death, which I'm pretty sure no one questioned because "africans"

they got their technology by happenstance, and then flourished entirely due to luck. because of course the problems in africa are actually caused by a lack of technological know how and not in fact centuries of looting and governments set up to guarantee future profit for the west

presumably the plot wasn't written by white supremacists, but there's not really any way to know for sure

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xaris posted:

is that the 2006 one? never seen it but probably because it was on CBS and everything on CBS has always been pure trash

i didn't know there was more than one so probably. anyway its pretty good. doesn't have a ton to say besides 'the deep state bad' though. kind of like person of interest if it had been condensed into 1 or 2 seasons.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, it doesn't seem like any of the sides in that civil war are actually particularly good. It is more coke zero versus classic coke fascism. It wasn't bad but Jeremiah kind of beat it to the punch.

Btw, that was still a period when parts of the US government could be evil and worthy of criticism.

I hated the last season of the Expanse.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 11:29 on Jul 3, 2021

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Lost was the best

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
check out bertrand bonello's nocturama

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Dolphin posted:

Don't forget that nation's copious interaction/cooperation with the CIA!

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I'm watching Girls because someone semi-recommended it in the poop culture thread and I want to strangle all the characters plus am feeling kind of sorry for the actors who have to play these people.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

CODChimera posted:

Lost was the best

jackfaces are underrated

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Watched The Tomorrow War on Amazon, and uhhhhhh

lmao

Absolute must watch, but don't look at the film's runtime or ever check how long is left as you're watching it

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, Avenue 5 is okay, not great but okay. Raised by Wolves had a lot of promise with the first couple episodes then eh...goes off the rails. BSG going to pot really much timed up perfectly with the Writers Strike back in 2007-2008.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Feldegast42 posted:

M*A*S*H is probably the only decent vaguely leftist show that really hit it off in the states that I can think of

Hawkeye Pierce can get it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
people acting as if the alien movies arent political is really funny.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Part of the problem with people so strongly indoctrinated is that they'll look at something an artist is portraying as ugly and terrible and just see it as realism. Weyland-Yutani says the crew is expendable and is throwing their lives away for greed? Well, what else are they supposed to do, hippie? I bet you're typing your response on a computer, lol checkmate lib!

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Judakel posted:

people acting as if the alien movies arent political is really funny.

Some people cannot handle the fact that humans — represented by Weyland Corp — are even bigger monsters than the aliens, apparently.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Doctor Jeep posted:

I'm watching Girls because someone semi-recommended it in the poop culture thread and I want to strangle all the characters plus am feeling kind of sorry for the actors who have to play these people.

hey, that was probably me! i still like girls a lot but i don't know that i'd ever rewatch it. i have a fairly high tolerance for watching terrible characters which might help. i do think it'll be a fascinating time capsule in 10 years or so

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Watched The Tomorrow War on Amazon, and uhhhhhh

lmao

Absolute must watch, but don't look at the film's runtime or ever check how long is left as you're watching it

what in the merry gently caress was going on with that movie? pretty much every single aspect made zero sense

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViOqUak8-bI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006