Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I think we didn't really have a thread to talk about the visual media we mass consume all the time, and how its also politics

For example, the replies:
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1410631347576741898

So, what's your fav movies/tv? Have you thought about the messages they send? Probably not lol but you should!

This is a NO "THE WIRE" zone. We know youve watched the wire. Yeah its good for the most part, no it doesnt mean you have a deep understanding of racial injustice in policing!!! God!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I watched season 1 of motherland expecting a heel turn that the military was bad all along and instead they heel turned in to the witch thinking the military was bad sacrifices herself to save the military lmao

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Surprised that the show about shrill fascist women was actually fascist.

Yeah but they set it up the entire time and the uberwitch literally mind controls the president to go to war!!! And then she's the good guy!!!???

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Aglet56 posted:

don't we already have a pop culture thread? this is splittism comrade

didnt see one on the first 5 pages but i'm also very dumb so ?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Dolphin posted:

there's this movie where this extremely technologically advanced society in africa doesn't bother to use their tech to help any africans outside their walls, kills the dude who wanted to use their tech for the liberation of african people, and then decides to contact the un to give all their technology to nato. it should be noted that despite being an extremely technologically advanced society this particular society chooses their leader via combat to the death, which I'm pretty sure no one questioned because "africans"

they got their technology by happenstance, and then flourished entirely due to luck. because of course the problems in africa are actually caused by a lack of technological know how and not in fact centuries of looting and governments set up to guarantee future profit for the west

presumably the plot wasn't written by white supremacists, but there's not really any way to know for sure

Don't forget that nation's copious interaction/cooperation with the CIA!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Watched The Tomorrow War on Amazon, and uhhhhhh

lmao

Absolute must watch, but don't look at the film's runtime or ever check how long is left as you're watching it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

CODChimera posted:

what in the merry gently caress was going on with that movie? pretty much every single aspect made zero sense

I think they had heard you're supposed to hire writers and editors, and the writers were cheaper so they just kept hiring more writers but didn't ever cut any possible scene or plotline from the movie.

The director is the guy from LEGO Batman, so I think he knows how to do satire, which makes me think it's self aware, but boy howdy that's buried deep if it is.