Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Zurtilik posted:

The Angry Birds movie is xenophobic garbage.

Here's the Wikipedia summary doing most of the taking for me:

The pigs ultimately want to steal all the eggs from Bird Island and Red is hailed as a hero for distrusfing the foreigners and figuring out their evil free loading schemes.

Here's some articles about it too:

https://www.flavorwire.com/578746/white-supremacists-have-finally-found-a-worthy-allegory-in-the-angry-birds-movie

https://splinternews.com/why-racists-on-the-internet-are-arguing-about-the-angry-1793854430

I actually saw this movie in the theatre (the school I work at took our students there). I wasn't expecting much, since most kids animated movies are just bland poo poo with dumb jokes, and this was certainly that (some joke about an Eagle pissing a whole bunch, I think?), but man was I doing a lot of side eye while watching it. Like I definitely found myself incredulous that it could be saying what it seemed to be saying, but it just kept reinforcing that these immigrants were super bad and not to be trusted, and the angry rear end in a top hat character was %100 justified in not trusting them. Then I think they invade the pig island and gently caress their poo poo up (Iraq allegory, except it was both right to go in and turned out great), and this was an awesome and heroic thing to do. None of the other adults seemed to notice, but they weren't really the type to be analytical of movies. I couldn't believe that was the message it was sending, I had to go home and look poo poo up on the internet to make sure I wasn't crazy. I'm probably misremembering some specifics, but I distinctly remember my reaction being a total "No, what!?! Really?!?! That can't be right..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU