Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Reference materials. Dry, boring, inoffensive and objective. From Wikipedia to textbooks to online dictionaries, millions of editors work tirelessly to ensure nothing inappr...

:wtc:

So yeah.... I've been learning Japanese recently and the content in my current reference materials is... questionable. I have a seemingly endless supply of badly considered example sentences, translations and explanations. Some more examples:

And my personal favorite (NWS)

Now I'm on the hunt to find current and past textbooks, online dictionaries and educational references where the authors managed to slip some innuendos, off-color jokes or blatant loving racism through the cracks. PYF!

------------------------------

First, thanks to the mods for approving this thread and some ground rules to get us started. Please don't make them regret it!

- Any kind of reference material is welcome - dictionary, textbook, online, technical manuals and scientific papers can all be hilarioushorrible.
- Both old and new stuff is fine by me, but if it's a phrenology textbook from the 30s or something, post some context so we know what we're looking at.
- Please don't argue about whether something is offensive or not. It can just be stupid, funny or out of place.
- The mods will be a bit lax because [gestures wildly] but normal PYF rules still apply - No inline gore or explicit nudity, and content warnings on linked images. Use your judgement!

KillHour has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Jul 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I hope these pages and pages of gobbledygook would at least prove funny to academics, people in the pre-civil war U.S. took this poo poo seriously.
It's hella racist and xenophobic if you can't do the math.

E: some highlights
FAKE NEWS!

I hope this piece of advice got some confederates killed.

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 13:55 on Jul 3, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Found in the dictionary next to "foreshadowing"

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

mmmm look what I'VE got

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm 100% making those and introducing them as "titty sauce yams" next Thanksgiving. Do you happen to know what cookbook that is from? (I assume it must be from a cookbook and not some weird aside in a book about yam cultivation or something).

KillHour has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Jul 13, 2021

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

KillHour posted:

I'm 100% making those and introducing them as "titty sauce yams" next Thanksgiving.

Get yourself either to a used bookstore (if you have $$$) or the Internet Archive to borrow one of his books for free, because George Leonard Herter was an absolute nut and his "Bull Cook" book, which I literally have on my nightstand, is one of the funniest (is it intentional? :iiam:) things I've ever read. Check these out, which I posted a while back in the Weird and Wonderful Books Thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

He's wrong about hamburgers in Africa because I had a delicious (albeit very weird) hamburger in South Africa once. :colbert:

They called them bullseye hamburgers, and I for the life of me have never heard of nor seen anything like it ever again.

And to avoid derailing my own thread, have a useful primer on how to use everyone's favorite Japanese word, 金玉. It literally means gold balls :haw: