Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
:synpa:

a wonderland of plants so far, especially the carnivorous pitchers.

still waiting on that first weed pic though...

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take the moon

by sebmojo
this is a good thread, i cant have plants cuz jareth eats em all so i will live vicariously

e: also an excellent snype

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
i only have northern exposure and no grow lights.

i'm a joke of a plant person compared to some you guys.

i'm not worthy

Manifisto

these are all great, although achtane's carnivorous plant collection should win some kind of award

I have not tackled my herb garden yet this year but when I do I will post pics

ty nesamdoom!

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I guess I'll show a few of my plants.

This is a cutting of a Monstera adansonii and he's been so impossibly good and well behaved since finding his confidence. He is constantly showing off by unfurling new leaves. I'm looking forward to a long life together.

I have a number of Philodendrons that I rescued from work. This is a 'Red Congo'. He was only two pock-marked leaves when I brought him home and he's done very well for himself, I'd say. He's another one I have a tremendous soft spot for and seeing him do well makes me happy.

This Philodendron 'Shangri-La' was so sad when I took him home. He's bounced back with triple the number of leaves, however. He's looking a bit chlorotic but I'm working on it. I do well this aroids but that's... not really a flex... they're just kind creatures.

This Maranta must be around 7 or 8 years old. Came from one of those planters you buy that are all done up with multiple tropical plants together. Poor gal was only one leaf for over a year but I couldn't let her go. She's been very reliable since.

Ardisia elliptica wins the award for 'Most Plant'. It's just so planty. A planty plant.

Pilea cadierei. Another rescue, another happy plant that's been rewarding and never fussy.

Monster Pilea peperomioides, lol. I'm currently raising seven of its offshoots.

Begonias aren't the easiest things for me to keep around but this one has been doing well since September, when I took him home.

Episcia, or flame violets are awesome plants and super easy to grow. Easier than their cousins, the African violets, imo. This one flowers a beautiful coral orange. I'm also propagating a green and brown leafed variety with white flowers.

yoinked a planetlet of this curly spider plant a few years ago and yeah. This plant hasn't asked anything of me but that's just how all Chlorophytums are, at the end of the day.

Decade old Cissus rhombifolia. Never been repotted. I love, him, though.

Aspidistra are so rare these days... So naturally, when we got when at work I had to steal a small piece and just look at that big flat leaf. He's a lady and I love her so much.

The Clivia is my "mom barometer". She seems to know what day of the year my mom comes to visit (we live 7 hours apart and I don't drive... heh) and waits for then to put out as many flowers as she can... hey, 8 blossoms this year isn't anything to scoff at. Sure Clivias online are just covered in flowers but mine only has that northern exposure to work with and she does such a good job. Many kisses her way.

My crown-of-thorns fell over so I planted him up in what I thought was a free planter but turns out I had marigold seeds in there so oh well, they'll share a pot. I can't wait until they bloom lol, it's gonna look so pretty later this month.

Speaking of marigolds. Marigolds in a solo cup are fun to bring inside and watch bloom

These rubber figs would love if I were to repot them. Not happening. >: )

3-year old Coleus plant. I gave him a big trimming this year. I have big plans for him, I plan on training him into a bonsai over the course of the next decade.

Megabound

We went for a hike yesterday and found these trees that have nuts that look like slugs. They were rad as hell!

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Megabound posted:

We went for a hike yesterday and found these trees that have nuts that look like slugs. They were rad as hell!

That's super weird but looks kinda familiar for some reason.

Plant MONSTER your plants are rad as heck and you seem to know a lot about em! Don't lightshame yourself!!
I've never propagated a plant without it eventually dying as a lil tiny dude. That's a real skill.

Also, thanks for the plant love, I'll let them know they're BYOB famous. The secret to growing them is that they don't actually require anything besides you worrying about em.

Prof. Crocodile

My plants are a pretty modest lot. I have a small balcony garden, and I got some houseplants last year...

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Well I finally got some indoor plants. Front (l to r) a pepperamia of some kind, two cacti. Rear (l to r) a ming fern, a plain old fern.

Not sure if you name plants or not. The big fern kind of looks like a 'Keith' to me.

Now to find some plant stands...

Jaguars! posted:

Grace, Keith
Idris, Joy, Gwendoline

And now 6 months later, the pepperamia and ming fern are growing like gangbusters, and the cacti are stable. Sadly Keith the big fern has recently taken a turn for the worse, developing lots of brown fronds. I have moved him from the sun, and tried misting him, so we'll see what happens.

Areola Grande

I forget what it's called but Kaiser Schnitzel knows

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Prof. Crocodile

Areola Grande posted:

i'm pretty sure it's called 'a tree'

Plant MONSTER.

Areola Grande posted:

Hostas.

In Ontario, you often see hosta gardens.

Areola Grande

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Hostas.

In Ontario, you often see hosta gardens.

sounds like a hostal takeover

Areola Grande

:dadjoke:

Manifisto

oh man prepuce repurposed you gone went and done did it

that took gumption

ty nesamdoom!

Areola Grande

Manifisto posted:

oh man prepuce repurposed you gone went and done did it

that took gumption

anything worth doing is worth doing well

Finger Prince

Areola Grande posted:

anything worth doing is worth doing well

You say that, but I watched myself make it.

Areola Grande

Finger Prince posted:

You say that, but I watched myself make it.

Lol. It might be a fixer upper but I love it a lot. Thanks for putting in the work bud :palmon:

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
There are several sweetgum saplings popping up in the backyard that I'm gonna dig up and make into bonsai!

Prof. Crocodile

Achtane posted:

There are several sweetgum saplings popping up in the backyard that I'm gonna dig up and make into bonsai!

now THAT is a big time flora flex

City of Glompton

this lil sunflower started out as birdseed but look at it go!

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Areola Grande

City of Glompton posted:

gorgeous! does it do the heliotropism thing and follow the sun all day?

Moo Cowabunga

[Office Worker.

City of Glompton posted:

it’s glorious

Platinum User Pot Smoke Phoenix!

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

https://giant.gfycat.com/WellgroomedImperfectHaddock.webm the vanisher

frump truck

hello... again!

here is some music specifically for plants https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZkR3PyHTs0 and it's cool early synthesizer music besides

City of Glompton

Areola Grande posted:

gorgeous! does it do the heliotropism thing and follow the sun all day?

looking at it now, it doesn't seem to! but maybe the sun needs to rise all the way

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

frump truck posted:

here is some music specifically for plants https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZkR3PyHTs0 and it's cool early synthesizer music besides

Gods I love plantasia, I literally listened to this early this morning bc it's so good for my brain. Perhaps I am become my many houseplants.

Vei
*shoots this thread up into my veins* ssaaah yeah, that's some good plant envy :rznv:

edit: thoroughly impressed by how pristinely green yalls plants is. DO YOU pH YOUR WATER? DO YOU USE HUMIDIFIERS? ARE YOU A WIZARD?

Areola Grande

frump truck posted:

I've been hoping sometime would post this. I intended it tbh :shobon::hf::byob1:

frump truck

hello... again!

Areola Grande posted:

I've been hoping sometime would post this. I intended it tbh :shobon::hf::byob1:

:cheers:

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I had a dream about this plant convention where there were, like, plants that glowed so vividly it was like they were under a blacklight, but that's just how they were. It was rad

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Here are some old wisteria pics I took a few years ago:

Front yard:

Back yard:

My wife does the bulk of the landscaping, I cut the grass and do what I can.

I love our little oasis from all the fuckery!

nut

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

loving the oasis

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Here are some old wisteria pics I took a few years ago:

Front yard:

Back yard:

My wife does the bulk of the landscaping, I cut the grass and do what I can.

:swoon: I love your yard

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Is there such a thing as too many leaves on a plant like this? It seems to unfurl a new giant leaf ever few weeks with more on the way.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

that looks like a pretty appropriate number of leaves

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Well good. It looks like it's working on three more. I'll just take that to mean it's happy.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Bo-Pepper posted:

Well good. It looks like it's working on three more. I'll just take that to mean it's happy.
I don’t actually know anything about houseplants, so take that with a grain of salt.

One of my favorite gardening books starts the chapter on houseplants with the observation that while many people say they want to grow houseplants, they don’t actually want to grow houseplants. They want to keep houseplants alive and basically the same size, which is actually kind of harder than growing houseplants bigger.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i would be happy if every plant in my office grew forever and turned it into the stephen king shack in creepshow

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Few months later update:
Hector has gotten Pretty Bigger

A couple months ago I sampled a tiny bit of the digestive juices from a newly opened (no bugs caught yet) pitcher, after doing a little research, just to see...

Its extremely sweet like simple syrup but my throat hurt for three days as if I swallowed glass

I don't recommend it lol

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Hey somebody else post!!!

Heliamphora nutans is weird and its flowers are equally weird. They kinda Russian doll their way out of elongated pitchers and then out of the original flower stalks. The flower petals are pointy when they're actually open, but they don't stay open long.

Also, this pinguicula is goin hard on the flower game:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Oh wow, I have been very un-byob and left the thread empty of posts from this section of the universe. I have all sorts of great plants at my new place and I can't believe I haven't taken any photos of them. Tomorrow I will do so.