Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Musical_Daredevil posted:

In my personal opinion, something like that would throw off the energy of the marathon. We'd absolutely want to do the preshow, charity introduction, and first run live on stage for our first in-person event. What some of the crew were thinking is that it would be a standalone run in the schedule, but before a run that requires a lot of setup so the stage is free. We'll see what the games committee throws our way, though.

Fair enough, that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

As another casual viewer, I personally feel that there is a huge difference. Seeing shots of the runner, couch, and crowd make you feel like you're part of something, and the ability of runners, commentators, and hosts to play off of each other is generally better in person.

Not to say that I didn't enjoy SGDQ. I did. I just prefer watching the in-person events.

:same:

I do want online to be an option so that runners who can’t travel don’t get excluded, and you all did a great job making remote gdq run well, but the live show really does have an energy to it that I miss, even watching through a screen.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
A "Remote Runner" block seems like a great way to bring a shot of energy to a mid-week lull. A two player DDR showcase could certainly get a lot of people watching on a Wednesday night.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Honestly I'm both surprised and glad to hear that remote running is at least on the table in discussions, that's further than I thought the notion would get.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
if they continue to do remote runs all I ask is that they make sure to do what they can to sync up the commentators and runners. there were a couple runs this time where the commentating was good but was also five to ten seconds behind the run and it was offputting

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Bleck posted:

if they continue to do remote runs all I ask is that they make sure to do what they can to sync up the commentators and runners. there were a couple runs this time where the commentating was good but was also five to ten seconds behind the run and it was offputting

There was also timing issues between the screen tracker and the host, at least during the Pokémon Emerald run. The onscreen tracker showed that the Steven donation was met well before Edobean was able to call it.

To some extent that’s just the nature of multi source online streaming like this, and I’m sure the tech staff is aware and works to minimize it. It can just be a little jarring sometimes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone else think that AGDQ 2022 (if that's the next live event) is going to absolutely shatter previous donation records?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone else think that AGDQ 2022 (if that's the next live event) is going to absolutely shatter previous donation records?

it's a virtual guarantee

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Oasx posted:

As a causal viewer I don't feel there is much difference between online and normal GDQ, apart from not being able to see an audience.

I find it very different, and mostly in negative ways. I like the dead times over night, the hype in the room for the big runs etc. IDK, I can watch people stream games from home 24 hours a day any time, it seems to lose a lot of magic for me not being in-person.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

TheMadMilkman posted:

There was also timing issues between the screen tracker and the host, at least during the Pokémon Emerald run. The onscreen tracker showed that the Steven donation was met well before Edobean was able to call it.

To some extent that’s just the nature of multi source online streaming like this, and I’m sure the tech staff is aware and works to minimize it. It can just be a little jarring sometimes.

It's also somewhat unavoidable because anything that wasn't one of Sent's in-studio prize segments has about 10-15 seconds of delay due to the way the feeds are being ingested (even the hosts). The hosts are able to see a live feed of the donation/bid totals (as live as the studio/layout gets it) but because of that delay they're going to sound behind. I can think of a couple theoretical ways that could be compensated for but I don't think it would be worth the effort.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
There's two disadvantages I've found with the online format. The minor one is the same thing that is a common issue with streaming in general in that they can't perfectly standardize the quality so a runner who has a terrible mic or other audio/visual issues can really sink a run through no fault of the gameplay itself.

The major disadvantage I've found from online is that you lose a lot of the energy in the room from there being no people. Everything from the polite golf-claps you get when someone pulls off a neat zip to everyone going nuts when something really cool or funny happens.

One of my favourite parts of a run from the last in-person GDQ was the Fallout Anthology run at the very end where the runner has to do some on-the-fly re-routing when he ends up with too much radiation exposure and the audience/couch's reaction to how he fixes it (and the re-route conclusion which, if you haven't seen, I won't spoil) is made a lot better by having everyone in the same room reacting to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2SatL2mx3I&t=7560s (re-route starts at 2:06:00 and ends at about 2:13:00)

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 12, 2021

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Given that SGDQ2021 was third overall and not that far off percentage-wise from the top two ones, it's pretty much guaranteed that it will. Especially since the online ones have had plenty of big-name streamers going concurrently (and drawing away viewership), but that won't happen nearly as much when they're actually in-person at the event.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just for me personally i agree that there are big runs like that where the audience makes it better (and for those who haven't seen it, the conclusion to that reroute is hilarious) but for every one of those runs there's at least 10 where the audience being in the background doesn't matter at all

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Can I just say I found the Talkatoo% concept of Mario Odyssey, which basically turns the game into a pseudo-randomizer, a really inspiring concept and makes me want to pick it up again? That just seems so drat fun, even if I'm not nimble enough to pull off frame-perfect tricks and aren't interested in speedrunning myself.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

UraniumAnchor posted:

It's also somewhat unavoidable because anything that wasn't one of Sent's in-studio prize segments has about 10-15 seconds of delay due to the way the feeds are being ingested (even the hosts). The hosts are able to see a live feed of the donation/bid totals (as live as the studio/layout gets it) but because of that delay they're going to sound behind. I can think of a couple theoretical ways that could be compensated for but I don't think it would be worth the effort.

I figured you’d be aware of the issues. And the Pokémon run was somewhat unique simply because of the rush to meet the goal with seconds left in the run. Normally that delay isn’t really a big deal.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Tayter Swift posted:

Can I just say I found the Talkatoo% concept of Mario Odyssey, which basically turns the game into a pseudo-randomizer, a really inspiring concept and makes me want to pick it up again? That just seems so drat fun, even if I'm not nimble enough to pull off frame-perfect tricks and aren't interested in speedrunning myself.

Yeah that ruled, it made me want to pick Odyssey back up

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

site posted:

Just for me personally i agree that there are big runs like that where the audience makes it better (and for those who haven't seen it, the conclusion to that reroute is hilarious) but for every one of those runs there's at least 10 where the audience being in the background doesn't matter at all

Or worse is an active detriment as they scream whatever this year’s dumb meme phrase is constantly.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
orb is great, get over yourself

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think I saw someone recommend it but just in case it gets missed, the shadow of the Colossus run is great. Super wholesome, great commentary, and the run is almost pure, ridiculous skill start to finish

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

DoctorWhat posted:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
(me yelling in an empty room at 3am): ORB

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

site posted:

Yeah, especially the night ones, some of which would be prime time for other parts of the world. Making one US night a "online block" would be the best of both worlds tbh.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

the orb stuff is perhaps a little corny but getting angry about it is much weirder

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Anything gets old when a room full of people who think they're funny and aren't screech it at the top of their lungs at every opportunity

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Orb

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

nobody thought "ORB" was a cornerstone of comedy. it was a communal activity for raising spirits. Call and response. getting mad about it is insanely cringe

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dayomans Spyro run is good energy

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

The orb stuff is great because it led to a dingdong snapping and getting dragged offstage, never to be seen again.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

...orb???

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Teddybear posted:

The orb stuff is great because it led to a dingdong snapping and getting dragged offstage, never to be seen again.

This is the reason that I've made peace with it.

One thing I don't like about any GDQ run is the faux "oh, this is the hardest part of the game" and it's trivially easy.

How original.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

"orrrrb!!" and "hyyyyyyyyyyype" make me cringe too but why would you let that put you off?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

One thing I don't like about any GDQ run is the faux "oh, this is the hardest part of the game" and it's trivially easy.

How original.

do people really think that poo poo like "this is the hardest part of the run" and "orb!!" are people trying to be comedy geniuses and not simple phatic communication

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Kikas posted:

Yeah, especially the night ones, some of which would be prime time for other parts of the world. Making one US night a "online block" would be the best of both worlds tbh.

Yeah this is what I'd think. Seeing some of the late-night runs from folks overseas was great this time around.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Teddybear posted:

Wait really? When was this?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How original.

i did laugh at the bit in the blindfold mario 64 run where the commentator was like "this is the hardest star in the game" and it was just talking to a toad

although part of that is because the tech of a blindfolded run is so incomprehensible to me that for a second i did believe it was hard to find that toad

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It is hard to not punch toad in the face and lose time when you're going fast and press the button too early

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MachuPikacchu posted:

Wait really? When was this?

it evolved into the super metroid item jingle which led to the "go jump under a bus" thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Pretty sure ORB has been harmless.

It was the waluigi waaaaah-ing that pissed everyone off.