Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
My bother is rereading the Sword of Truth series because he heard Terry Goodkind died. He described Goodkind as “one of the greats” and ranked him with Tolkien as one of the most influential names in fantasy fiction.

I read Sword of Truth at the height of my Ayn Rand phase and even at the time I thought Goodkind was an over the top crypto fascist.

Pls recommend some actual good fantasy to read to help him recognize Goodkind for the crap writer he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It's all the same crap but I like Miles Cameron and Joe Abercrombie. Both are muddy kind of low fantasy in the vein of Cook's the Black Company, but the writing isn't straight up insufferable like Goodkind, Rothfuss et Al.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Make him read Dhalgren then tell him he is a basic bitch

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Just tell him to read Dune.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I read the Sword of Truth books at like 13 and even then I realized the part where he murders a bunch of nonviolent protestors and it was painted as a good thing was beyond brain damaged poo poo. Goodkind sucked huge poo poo more like Badkind lmao ha ha

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Applewhite posted:

He described Goodkind as “one of the greats” and ranked him with Tolkien

I will help you beat the poo poo out of your brother.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm sorry but you're saying a man named "good kind" is bad? Then how'd he get the name?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Piers Anthony’s Xanth novels obviously.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

this book is about the neglected mixed-race son of the emperor of the elflands, who becomes emperor when his father and all his brothers die in a horrible explosion. he's really nice and tries his best. it's mostly court intrigue, a bunch of really lovely people are constantly at his throat, but it turns out that being decent in the face of an unjust world is its own kind of strength, and he gradually adapts to the demands of his position without losing his basic humanity
it's fully cucked beta snowflake libtard poo poo, I heartily recommend it

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
The Chronicles of Prydain. They're written for kids, but I go back and read them every so often because they rule so hard.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Gene Wolfe, Book of the New Sun. Real good takes on an unreliable narrator from him, also extremely hosed up authority figures to make your bro really think. The short stories are good as well.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Phillip K Dick. ok, he did not do so much fantasy, but sci-fi from a druggie hippy perspective is deffo a detox, also seconding Dune.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001
I like the malazan books of the fallen. People in power are generally poo poo, gods are generally poo poo, the best we can hope for is to gently caress and die a halfway noble death....

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm partial to Brandon Sanderson, though some people will throw me in the Bad Fantasy bucket for that. Start with The Emperor's Soul as a fairly short, self-contained book and see of you get on with hom.

For sheer wordsmithery it's hard to go past Jack Vance, but be aware there's some extremely dated gender politics in there.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

try reading some god drat dickens

poo poo

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
That Harry Potter fellow is quite popular!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Michael Moorcock has a good reputation around these circles as far as I'm aware.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Michael Moorcock has a good reputation around these circles as far as I'm aware.

really funny name too

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lol

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
My favourites are Rodney Angelheart and Sandra Greathole.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Discworld is some drat fine fantasy and urban fantasy with a humorous bend to it

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Applewhite posted:

at the height of my Ayn Rand phase

I've made a lot of dumb decisions in my life but there's nothing I look back on and would feel this level of abject humiliation.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I read the Sword of Truth books at like 13 and even then I realized the part where he murders a bunch of nonviolent protestors and it was painted as a good thing was beyond brain damaged poo poo. Goodkind sucked huge poo poo more like Badkind lmao ha ha

Publication date:July 2003 :kiddo:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I...have so many goddamn questions.

Non joke answer is Pratchett. Always go Pratchett if you want enjoyable fantasy

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Neurion posted:

Discworld is some drat fine fantasy and urban fantasy with a humorous bend to it

This is actually a very good recommendation, while Pratchett has has his own somewhat naive bents, his depiction of humanity as a collection of absolute bumbling tomfools from lord to peasant is a wholesome worldview.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Read realistic prose for a change, or even just a journal or report, you might like it more

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Biographies don't count

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

laserghost posted:

Read realistic prose for a change, or even just a journal or report, you might like it more

lmao yes read a report for fun

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

laserghost posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6l8MFdTaPE

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
LeGuin.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Imagine a world where battleaxe-wielding barbarians ride triceratopses and wizards cast spells from the backs of soaring pterodactyls.

That world exists, friend, in Jurassic Park.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait. Wait.

Terry Goodkind is dead? LOL!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Weka posted:

LeGuin.

If OP was asking what he should read himself I would definitely recommend LeGuin. But if he's trying to hook a Goodkind-liking friend it might work so well.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

The Eye of Argon

here's part of how wikipedia describes it:

quote:

The Eye of Argon is a heroic fantasy novella that narrates the adventures of Grignr, a mighty barbarian and thief. It was written in 1970 by Jim Theis (1953–2002) and has found notoriety within science fiction fandom since its publication.

you can read it here https://ansible.uk/misc/eyeargon.html

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
have you heard of the masterpiece trilogy known as the dragonlance chronicles op?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I've made a lot of dumb decisions in my life but there's nothing I look back on and would feel this level of abject humiliation.

Trust me I’m not proud, though I will say it’s inoculated me well against even the most cunning of chuds.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Lone Badger posted:

If OP was asking what he should read himself I would definitely recommend LeGuin. But if he's trying to hook a Goodkind-liking friend it might work so well.

LeGuin is one of my very favorites. I’m working my way slowly through her ovure because her books are so emotionally intense I can’t read them back to back.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I quite like the edgeworld chronicles or at least the first two since i haven't read any of the others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

The entire Recluse Series by Modesitt. If that's not enough, he'll have to read the Corean Chronicles too.