Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Applewhite posted:

Hankering real bad for some cozy fantasy that makes me feel like the first few chapters of The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings make me feel.

Are there any books out there that are just "Oops all tavern scenes?"

I mentioned it a long time ago in this thread, but the most cozy fantasy I know of is One For the Morning Glory. It's sort of Princess Bride-esque in tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Applewhite posted:

Hankering real bad for some cozy fantasy that makes me feel like the first few chapters of The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings make me feel.

Prolly Dragonlance? I'm not going to say it's amazing but it never becomes offensively bad.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is exceptionally cozy.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Legends and Lattes is a nice read

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Applewhite posted:

Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is exceptionally cozy.

it's very good

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Applewhite posted:

You might try Patricia Wrede's YA series that starts with Dealing with Dragons?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Real UK Grime posted:

I'm reading The Prince of Nothing series by R. Scott Bakker, and I need to know if these are bad books before I commit to liking them thanks in advance.

One of the main character's entire motivation is to prove to people he's totally not gay by killing the guy who people think he's gay for. If that wasn't enough, all of the main characters are either raping and/or murdering innocents and children or cheating on their partner or just generally being unlikable to the reader, and the one single likeable character is just poo poo on by the plot constantly. I quit reading the series after the end of book two, where the last chapter is literally a scene where demons violently rape a man's wife and children to death in front of him in graphic detail.

I genuinely couldn't tell if it is meant to be a series that has no heroes, or if the author is a psychopath and thinks the titular character is how a hero would act.

So no, wouldn't recommend.

e Damnit I'm quoting a post form last year

Arven fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 20, 2022

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
So, to anybody who has started reading Imajica by Clive Barker, an important and sophisticated and not at all weird or perverted question:

What do you think Pie ‘Oh’ Pah’s genitals look like? I’m picturing something that looks like a pitcher plant, maybe crossed with a sea anemone.

Please do not conjecture about the chemistry of Pie’s body odor, I’m sure Clive Barker has a canon answer to that somewhere in the extensive footnotes and appendix in the book.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Riddlemaster of hed by Patricia McKillip is extremely cozy and very good.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Arven posted:

One of the main character's entire motivation is to prove to people he's totally not gay by killing the guy who people think he's gay for. If that wasn't enough, all of the main characters are either raping and/or murdering innocents and children or cheating on their partner or just generally being unlikable to the reader, and the one single likeable character is just poo poo on by the plot constantly. I quit reading the series after the end of book two, where the last chapter is literally a scene where demons violently rape a man's wife and children to death in front of him in graphic detail.

I genuinely couldn't tell if it is meant to be a series that has no heroes, or if the author is a psychopath and thinks the titular character is how a hero would act.

So no, wouldn't recommend.

e Damnit I'm quoting a post form last year

your summary isn’t incorrect in anyway, but it’s really uncharitable. the author paints a well crafted and very cruel world with coherent power dynamics and interesting characters in it. saying ‘the world is brutally cruel to the characters’ isn’t really a criticism, it’s the authors intention. and it’s weird to suggest the author is a psychopath because he writes a character who is charismatic and manipulative.

the first series of three books are excellent. the 2nd series of 4 books has good points but absolutely fails to stick the landing.

not a cozy series tho

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Have you considered Callahan's Crosstime Saloon?

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Ocean Book posted:

your summary isn’t incorrect in anyway, but it’s really uncharitable. the author paints a well crafted and very cruel world with coherent power dynamics and interesting characters in it. saying ‘the world is brutally cruel to the characters’ isn’t really a criticism, it’s the authors intention. and it’s weird to suggest the author is a psychopath because he writes a character who is charismatic and manipulative.

the first series of three books are excellent. the 2nd series of 4 books has good points but absolutely fails to stick the landing.

not a cozy series tho

I was mad when I finished it (cunny dragon lmao) until I read the title of the second series

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

verbal enema posted:

Idk why I have this thread bookmarked but yeah read Dhalgren that is my favorite book ever after The Long Patrol

dhalgren was my favorite book in high school and i gave a copy to my english teacher when i graduated lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Mozi posted:

dhalgren was my favorite book in high school and i gave a copy to my english teacher when i graduated lol

hell yeah