Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Putting the ham in Chamon
Pork Pro

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

try reading some god drat dickens

poo poo

Ah, yes. Dickens. The author of ponderous, rambling texts that take forever to get anywhere, and aren't even fun to read at the time (because he was a hack getting paid for serial installments)

Though Bleak House is okay in my book, because it's a satire of lawyers (who can get fuckin' owned any day) and involves spontaneous human combustion.

OP: A not-terrible series, since most of my main suggestions have already been made upthread, would be Brent Weeks' Black Prism series. Light is used as fuel for magic, different colors of light have different properties, and it dabbles in the "overuse of magic will corrupt or destroy you" trope, which I always enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

If he likes lots of medieval violence told through characters that are all mice and various rodents with lots of indepth descriptions of food served at banquets then Redwall and any of the other books from the series are a good read

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I hate Dickens rambling. Shirley Jackson is the good rambling, read her rambles.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tiberius Christ posted:

If he likes lots of medieval violence told through characters that are all mice and various rodents with lots of indepth descriptions of food served at banquets then Redwall and any of the other books from the series are a good read

Redwall is leaps and bounds ahead of Goodkind in terms of quality, but I think philosophically the two are on the same end of the spectrum.

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Putting the ham in Chamon
Pork Pro

Applewhite posted:

Redwall is leaps and bounds ahead of Goodkind in terms of quality, but I think philosophically the two are on the same end of the spectrum.

Sure, but it's not cut wholecloth from Randian Objectivism

... And the main character isn't named Dick Roll

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

blatman posted:

The Eye of Argon

here's part of how wikipedia describes it:

you can read it here https://ansible.uk/misc/eyeargon.html

Holy poo poo I know the author was only 16 but this is a literary war crime.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Holy poo poo I know the author was only 16 but this is a literary war crime.

16 year old boys are all about tits heaving bustily, and men ejaculating words from their mouths

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
lot of good stuff itt already, but if someone is looking for a great book that's well written, but not all the way Wolfe or LeGuin literary, Lois Bujold's Chalion books are one of my favs

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
who was the lady fantasy writer who married the pedo and then did a ton of pedo poo poo to their kids and hosed their kids all up and then their kids hosed up their own kids, idk but i remember the grandkid was living in their hosed up pedo house in that one season of Last Chance U when they were in Oakland.

anyways, i wouldnt read those books

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Nooner posted:

who was the lady fantasy writer who married the pedo and then did a ton of pedo poo poo to their kids and hosed their kids all up and then their kids hosed up their own kids, idk but i remember the grandkid was living in their hosed up pedo house in that one season of Last Chance U when they were in Oakland.

anyways, i wouldnt read those books

Marion Zimmer Bradley

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

Althalin posted:

Ah, yes. Dickens. The author of ponderous, rambling texts that take forever to get anywhere, and aren't even fun to read at the time (because he was a hack getting paid for serial installments)

Though Bleak House is okay in my book, because it's a satire of lawyers (who can get fuckin' owned any day) and involves spontaneous human combustion.

OP: A not-terrible series, since most of my main suggestions have already been made upthread, would be Brent Weeks' Black Prism series. Light is used as fuel for magic, different colors of light have different properties, and it dabbles in the "overuse of magic will corrupt or destroy you" trope, which I always enjoy.

be aware that the end of the series he basically spends 100 pages preaching about god and worship and how to be a better mormon or wtver poo poo he is.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Shankel Magnus posted:

Just tell him to read Dune.

yeah this

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

kntfkr posted:

yeah this

Pune

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Dank Frurbert's Hune

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Michael Swanwick's The Iron Dragon's Daughter is basically the only great conventional fantasy novel

His Stations of the Tide is also excellent but it's kind of a science fiction riff on Crowley, not fantasy

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Marion Zimmer Bradley

quote:

Additionally, she enabled Breen (her husband at the time) to have access to and abuse multiple unrelated young boys, knowing he was a pedophile who was engaging in sexual contact with children as young as eight. She and her live-in female partner both admitted to knowledge of the abuse and purposefully avoided investigating, questioning, or notifying any authorities. She even attempted to adopt a child whom Breen was interested in sexually.

loving yikes

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

David Eddings of the Belgariad and his wife also kept children in cages and beat them regularly

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Sid Vicious posted:

David Eddings of the Belgariad and his wife also kept children in cages and beat them regularly

What the gently caress is wrong with fantasy authors!!!!

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Cubone posted:

this book is about the neglected mixed-race son of the emperor of the elflands, who becomes emperor when his father and all his brothers die in a horrible explosion. he's really nice and tries his best. it's mostly court intrigue, a bunch of really lovely people are constantly at his throat, but it turns out that being decent in the face of an unjust world is its own kind of strength, and he gradually adapts to the demands of his position without losing his basic humanity
it's fully cucked beta snowflake libtard poo poo, I heartily recommend it

this is a really good book and also it's really long which is a bonus imo

this book has evil dragons loving everything up, good dragons who like people, court intrigue, weird magic poo poo, and lesbians.

This one's about steampunk (but like, in a cool interesting way) magic Egypt and also lesbians

And this one is about weird fairyland bullshit seeping into Earth

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the premise of this thread is flawed because if someone thinks that sword of truth is an amazing work of literature then they will likely not appreciate better fantasy novels. your brother, assuming he is an adult, is simply the sort of guy that is into godawful libertarian bsdm.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Make him read Dhalgren then tell him he is a basic bitch

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I mean, Pratchett and leguin is what he should be reading for humanistic views, but I dunno, jack Vance? Phillip pullman?
tell him fantasy is for loser nerds, get him some Ian banks or ken Macleoud, some proper scifi for loser nerds.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

I mean, Pratchett and leguin is what he should be reading for humanistic views, but I dunno, jack Vance? Phillip pullman?
tell him fantasy is for loser nerds, get him some Ian banks or ken Macleoud, some proper scifi for loser nerds.

Pratchett and Philip K Dick are the only two genre authors anyone really needs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I remember when Goodkind poo poo all over the artist who did the cover art for one of his last books and threw a tantrum how the artist was ruining his work.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Arcsquad12 posted:

I remember when Goodkind poo poo all over the artist who did the cover art for one of his last books and threw a tantrum how the artist was ruining his work.

The cover art was the only good thing about those books lol gently caress that shithead

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Umpteenthing LeGuin and Pratchett, just keep in mind Pratchett has this weird Randian Great Man thing going on. At least he realized the hypocrisy of it.

Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards series has a pretty good Ffafhrd and Grey Mouser vibe going, but without the weird sex stuff and general shittiness about women. Fourth book is due out next month.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Simone Magus posted:

Pratchett and Philip K Dick are the only two genre authors anyone really needs

That's like saying you only need to read Roberto Bolano and Jose Luis Borges to get LatAm literature.

Btw, technically Bolano has sci-fi stories so...

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Christopher Buehlman has become the new favorite over the Book Bran's fantasy thread, namely with Between Two Fires. It's a fantasy-horror book that takes place in Medieval France.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Pennsylvanian posted:

Christopher Buehlman has become the new favorite over the Book Bran's fantasy thread, namely with Between Two Fires. It's a fantasy-horror book that takes place in Medieval France.

Between Two Ferns

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
There are numerous wizard school books; is there a wizard college book?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Working as an install wizard for 20 years to pay off the loving wizard college tuition

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Hello Sailor posted:

Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards series has a pretty good Ffafhrd and Grey Mouser vibe going, but without the weird sex stuff and general shittiness about women. Fourth book is due out next month.

Book 4's coming out soon? Thanks for the heads up, homie.

Nthing Scott Lynch.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Cobalt-60 posted:

Pratchett was already mentioned

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I want a movie with Bill Murray playing Archchancellor Ridcully

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I'd watch a screen adaptation of Reaper Man even if it's made by the same people who did all the other Discworld film attempts lol

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Going to piss off other posters and nega recommend Brent Weekes. I only read the assassin series but if you want. Someone who writes. In primary school. short sentences. Like Dan Brown. Then Weekes is your man.

Modessit Jr is... Okay, but the guy has written like ten books all with the same plot (Recluse). Completely unexceptional and incredibly bland in execution.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Cobalt-60 posted:

The Magician's by Lev Grossman has a wizard college. It's not very Harry Potter at all though. The series is more about a disillusioned nihilist struggling to overcome depression/find happiness despite all of his fantasies turning out out to be real (and some truly awful things happen to him along the way). It's also a beautiful love letter to the Chronicles of Narnia. Worth reading all three books, it wraps up everything with satisfaction. The TV show didn't capture the book very well at all imo but I gave up on the second episode. Not everyone's cup of tea but it's probably the piece of writing that spoke to me more than anything else. The audiobooks are fantastically narrated too.

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

it's always a good time to recommend barbara hambly. the darwath books, the windrose books, whatever, there's voidspace abominations and wizards and court intrigue and inquisition

also the icefalcon was my first gay crush
it was the fingerbones in the hair

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I remember really liking the first few trilogies of Robin Hobb's stuff especially the Assassin and Fool trilogies. They were very much not typical fantasy

as a bonus her wikipedia does not mention anything about being a sex weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Has anyone recommended Matthew Stover yet?