Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

The Chronicles of Prydain. They're written for kids, but I go back and read them every so often because they rule so hard.

this is also still one of my favorite fantasy series; Castle of Llyr in particular is high on my list of favorite books.

there's an artist who has been slowly working through the first book as a graphic novel over the last few years and it's pretty good

http://thebookofthree.thecomicseries.com/comics/1/#content-start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

StoryTime posted:

Gene Wolfe, Book of the New Sun. Real good takes on an unreliable narrator from him, also extremely hosed up authority figures to make your bro really think. The short stories are good as well.

I'm slowly making my way through The Book of the Long Sun, set aboard what you eventually discover is a vast world ship. drat it's good.

For people not up to a whole series, he also has two FANTASTIC recent novels. A Borrowed Man and The Sorceror's House. Basically Wolfe is a genius and his books are so much deeper than they first appear.

I'd also recommend the Revenger series by Alastair Reynolds. If only fantasy, I'll second Joe Abercrombie for his gritty style and ruthless deconstruction of all the lovely fantasy tropes and add N.K. Jemisin's Fifth Season series.

Also Gideon the Ninth was a very strange and interesting fantasy novel, and The Blacktongue Thief a more classic but still self-aware new novel.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Simone Magus posted:

I want a movie with Bill Murray playing Archchancellor Ridcully

I don't know why you'd need anyone but Joss Ackland for it. He was pretty much perfect in the role.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tell him to go type "reverse harem fantasy romance" on amazon and read all of it. if he's still sane by the time he's done, we've galvanized him.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
For reals how dorky do you need to be to enjoy Dune? I’m excited for the upcoming movie due to the director and cast, but I’ve never read it or watched the first movie.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Dune isn't really dorky, it's basically a soap opera

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Very dorky

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Honestly, I think reading awful poo poo like atlas shrugged and other similar dross is a good idea so you can tell really quickly what tropes ppl are regurgitating, and avoid them in future.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Gideon The Nineth and its sequel, Harrow The Nineth. Space necromancers with swords. Also lesbians.

Someone described it to me as Warhammer 40k meets Revolutionary Girl Utena and I was sold.

Althalin
Nov 19, 2019

Putting the ham in Chamon
Pork Pro

ZionestLord posted:

be aware that the end of the series he basically spends 100 pages preaching about god and worship and how to be a better mormon or wtver poo poo he is.

:yikes:

Unrelated: Garth Nix, Sabriel would be another recommendation from me with hopefully less weird Mormon stuff. Female protagonist, sort of a floaty magic system, deals with the loss of parents. I had some LeGuin vibes (vibes, that's all) from at least the first three in that series.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Hello Sailor posted:

Umpteenthing LeGuin and Pratchett, just keep in mind Pratchett has this weird Randian Great Man thing going on. At least he realized the hypocrisy of it.

Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards series has a pretty good Ffafhrd and Grey Mouser vibe going, but without the weird sex stuff and general shittiness about women. Fourth book is due out next month.
I am choosing to believe that this will happen and am allowing myself to be exited about it.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I should mention he’s also an aspiring fantasy writer.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Cubone posted:

this book is about the neglected mixed-race son of the emperor of the elflands, who becomes emperor when his father and all his brothers die in a horrible explosion. he's really nice and tries his best. it's mostly court intrigue, a bunch of really lovely people are constantly at his throat, but it turns out that being decent in the face of an unjust world is its own kind of strength, and he gradually adapts to the demands of his position without losing his basic humanity
it's fully cucked beta snowflake libtard poo poo, I heartily recommend it

I’m a cucked beta soy boy so this sounds like my jam. Pickin it up

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Trapped in the body of a chad I forgot to add

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Applewhite posted:

I should mention he’s also an aspiring fantasy writer.

Then there is no hope for him, sorry.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Hello Sailor posted:

Umpteenthing LeGuin and Pratchett, just keep in mind Pratchett has this weird Randian Great Man thing going on. At least he realized the hypocrisy of it.

Pratchett's characters do spiral out of control, don't they? And they become worse for it. Carrot is way better as a Good Lad raised in a dwarf mine instead of the heir apparent nonsense. Vimes turns from the manic depressive alcoholic cop that Ankh-Morpork deserves into a strange and unlikably brutal cigar chomping über sleuth. Granny Weatherwax peaks at Witches Abroad before she and her coven aquire more powers than Superman. Even Rincewind gathers this mystique about his cowardice that kinda goes against his purpose of being slapstick incarnate. Death, funnily enough, seems to be immune to this because he's defined by being kinda bad at his job.

Great books, nevertheless.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Pratchett owns a lot

OP give him Gormenghast

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Also for true heads check out One For the Morning Glory. It's loving sweet

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I read soul of the fire in jail and got early release cuz the judge said I’d suffered enough

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

beer gas canister posted:

Pratchett owns a lot

His books give me a fuzzy feeling

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

StoryTime posted:

Pratchett's characters do spiral out of control, don't they? And they become worse for it. Carrot is way better as a Good Lad raised in a dwarf mine instead of the heir apparent nonsense. Vimes turns from the manic depressive alcoholic cop that Ankh-Morpork deserves into a strange and unlikably brutal cigar chomping über sleuth. Granny Weatherwax peaks at Witches Abroad before she and her coven aquire more powers than Superman. Even Rincewind gathers this mystique about his cowardice that kinda goes against his purpose of being slapstick incarnate. Death, funnily enough, seems to be immune to this because he's defined by being kinda bad at his job.

Yes, kinda, but Pratchett has this obvious pattern where character = power. Being yourself is the ultimate power. And when they peak in character development they tend to move to the background. Granny Weatherwax isn't the main character of the later witch books. Rincewind grows a spine in The Last Continent, and that's his last book as the protagonist.

Carrot is only a real person in Guards Guards, where he's both The Hero and a guy who can make mistakes and learn from them. After that he's kinda frozen as this Perfect Man, and it's Angua who is the interesting one. She's making choices, Carrot is there being perfect (and sometimes also a complete dick) for her to react to.

Even Death grows as a character: after Soul Music he stops being a fuckup, because it would hurt Susan for him to keep being the same. He's learned to be a person and to care. So Pratchett has to invent the Auditors for Susan to keep having books and development of her own. Yeah the auditors are dumb and suck, nobody bats 1000.

Exception: Vimes. Vimes's character arc kinda drifts off and he can't complete the Prachett cycle. And it's down to one thing: Pratchett never kills off Vetinari. Vimes's antagonist is the evil in society & politics, but he can't have a real win as long as there is this godlike chessmaster controlling everything. Vetinari keeps the city in stasis, but for Vimes to have meaningful victory something has to change. IMO it's Pratchett's biggest thematic mistake.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've only read two fantasy series, Steven Brust and Piers Anthony. I would not recommend Piers Anthony

Brust doesn't get enough recognition imo, his stuff isn't top shelf but it's fun, digestible fantasy with a sort of buddy-criminal dynamic with the main character and his familiar who is basically a miniature dragon with whom he is telepathically linked. It's very cute. You can get his novels in anthologies so it's easy to just tear through them

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I was given a copy of something called the black library sampler. the first page was a warhammer 40k story. i got about five lines in. there were a couple sentences about " red skinned savages " and i stopped there.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the premise of this thread is flawed because if someone thinks that sword of truth is an amazing work of literature then they will likely not appreciate better fantasy novels. your brother, assuming he is an adult, is simply the sort of guy that is into godawful libertarian bsdm.
YOU HAVE COME TO A WORLD CALLED GOR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDSZ_bzudv0

also if anyone here is interested in figuring out just how horrible the Sword of Truth books are, Secretly Best Girl actually did a read through and blow-by-blow of the SoT series in a thread, and it's really quite something.

Also, another thread which is quite good is by Mors Rattus, going over the Xanth series of books by Piers Anthony, which is also stupendously creepy and awful

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been rereading my Discworld books and I'm finding them kinda hit or miss these days. Pratchett is brilliant in many ways but he's got a few stylistic habits that wear on me. He likes to have characters describe what someone's doing to the person doing it, and he likes to describe his events like he's narrating a movie you're supposed to be seeing. It's descriptive writing, which is good, but it feels like there's always an intermediary. Like he'd rather have written for the screen sometimes and never could quite transition those scenes to prose.

Also his "modern pop culture on Discworld" books haven't aged well but a lot of that is stuff like Ready Player One poisoning the well. Oh you clever author you have slyly referenced a thing, well done you.

Still well worth it, largely, mind you. And especially, like, thematically, morally, leaps and bounds above tons of other stuff.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Robert Asprin isn't the best fantasy author but his stuff is easy to get into and rather humorous.
He has some mild problematic tendancies but almost everyone is amazing in comparison to Goodkind.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Klyith posted:

Exception: Vimes. Vimes's character arc kinda drifts off and he can't complete the Prachett cycle. And it's down to one thing: Pratchett never kills off Vetinari. Vimes's antagonist is the evil in society & politics, but he can't have a real win as long as there is this godlike chessmaster controlling everything. Vetinari keeps the city in stasis, but for Vimes to have meaningful victory something has to change. IMO it's Pratchett's biggest thematic mistake.

I always thought of Vetinari as a personification and a product of the oligarchic machine of Ankh-Morpork. He's in his position because he's convenient, and has figured out how to remain convenient. He's someone who can cleverly put his thumb on the scales to influence events, but is actually very limited in realpolitik power. I never thought Vimes should score one on Vetinari, it's the nobility behind Vetinari he has a problem with. It's true that there's no satisfactory end to the Vimes character arc, he just keeps solving bigger crimes.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just give him a random handful of vampire gently caress books and accept he will always be a casual.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

StoryTime posted:

I always thought of Vetinari as a personification and a product of the oligarchic machine of Ankh-Morpork. He's in his position because he's convenient, and has figured out how to remain convenient. He's someone who can cleverly put his thumb on the scales to influence events, but is actually very limited in realpolitik power. I never thought Vimes should score one on Vetinari, it's the nobility behind Vetinari he has a problem with. It's true that there's no satisfactory end to the Vimes character arc, he just keeps solving bigger crimes.

Yeah, it's this.vetinary isn't a one -man dictatorship, he's someone who mastered the political game to the detriment of everything else in is life.
He's deeply broken, and doesn't stop being deeply broken because he's a paranoid that always has a escape plan.
the man enjoys music only by reading sheet music, that's not Nietzsche's superman.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Also vimes arch should have ended at night watch, but I enjoyed thud so.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

It's all the same crap but I like Miles Cameron and Joe Abercrombie. Both are muddy kind of low fantasy in the vein of Cook's the Black Company, but the writing isn't straight up insufferable like Goodkind, Rothfuss et Al.

Gonna second Joe Abercrombie.

If you want to read Dark Fantasy, well, you probably shouldn't read Dark Fantasy. It's not really a revelation that the real Medieval period was full of lovely things. There have already been some really solid recommendations in this thread that don't dwell on violence and magic cannibalism.

But if you're really committed to the idea of Dark Fantasy, Abercrombie is pretty good. He's decent at making the murderous assholes the books focus on actually likable, well-rounded, and worth getting invested in. It's not an out and out parody, but it doesn't always take itself seriously and can get pretty funny. There are plenty of fun and memorable characters (though it takes Abercrombie about five books to figure out a way to write a 'badass warrior woman', an archetype he clearly loves and keeps coming back to, without just making her an unpleasant, violent rear end in a top hat who hates everyone). Honestly, he's way more fun than G.R.R.M., and, even with a professional torturer as point of view character, nowhere near as gross.

I would just start with A Little Hatred, the first book of his newest series. It's one of those next-generation kind of sequels and works perfectly fine as a jump-off point. Anyone who likes them can go back to the earlier books for some added background if they really want.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
IDK about recommending Dune here, this guy might have such poor taste that he reads the Brian Herbert ones.

Festus The Fetus
Mar 8, 2010
Robert Jordan's wheel of time is good. I also like Raymond e. Fiest books especially the serpent war saga. If you want black library stuff I enjoyed William Kings gotrek and felix novels.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Vimes was pretty clearly a favorite character for Pratchet. While the character may have hung around a little too long, Pratchets own health problems robbed us of a good closing arc. I think if he gotten more time to write there would have been a better send off.

Also want to +1 whatever the count is on the Chronicles of Prydain. I read a lot of fantasy as a kid, but that series stuck with me a lot more than pretty much everything else I read. It wasn't nearly as well known as a lot of other series, and that made it even better.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
why have so many of you dipshits had 'Ayn Rand' phases? I don't loving trust a single one of you. You're tainted.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

why have so many of you dipshits had 'Ayn Rand' phases? I don't loving trust a single one of you. You're tainted.

I never had an Ayn Rand phase. I don't understand it either. Rand's an awful writer even without the overbearing message.

I didn't even have a Heinlein phase. Stranger in a Strange Land is supposed to be his best, but it was a pretty gross and unpleasant book. Though I have to be fair and admit that I didn't finish it. I got to the part where a woman suddenly transforms into an author mouthpiece and starts explaining how most women who get raped were totally asking for it by dressing that way and leading men on. That's when I grokked a wrongness with it and, poof, the book just suddenly vanished.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You could read Thomas Covenant, where in the opening section of the first of 9 fat books the 'hero' rapes someone because he thinks he's dreaming.

(He is at least thoroughly disgusted with himself later)

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
I read some of Atlas Shrugged in high school. It was on our "pick a few of these" summer reading list for AP English and my mother had a copy so I gave it a shot.

It was dreadful and I lost it about halfway through the John Galt speech. It was the single biggest literary turd I had and have ever encountered and I remember my mother was super disappointed that I didn't like it because it was one of her favorite books. She mostly read mysteries and pulp horror so maybe it did compare favorably to the other stuff she read?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast

Regarde Aduck posted:

i didn't have one but being taught by a teacher in the 80's and 90's meant you were listening to someone who had to read ayn rand in college

OMFG FURRY fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The Lone Badger posted:

Has anyone recommended Matthew Stover yet?

I don't think so. I didn't he write some Star Wars novels? I seem to recall enjoying those