Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
STREET FIGHT 72 69.90%
MIXED TAG 13 12.62%
IDOLO DEBUTS 7 6.80%
STRAP MATCH 5 4.85%
TRIOS 6 5.83%
Total: 103 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

Fuse: lit. Boom: brought.

Oh poo poo that is a crowd.

1) Cody Rhodes vs QT Marshall. Cody in his Homelander gear because it was the 4th of July recently. Wait, QT doesn't get an intro? That's lovely. We start off hot with Cody diving to the outside which pops the crowd, but everything pops the crowd tonight. This is a Cody match. Well worked, decently wrestled, largely of significance only to Cody. They lose the crowd a little halfway through, and then... blackout? This crowd now sound bored. HELL of a nice powerbomb from QT. Wow, they have lost this audience. Cody hulks up as he gets strapped. Of course. Cody wins clean. Please let that be the end of this feud.

Spears interviewed. He gets donked with a chair.

Kenny out for an interview and he is douching it up bigstyle. Synergy is when an AEW crowd can taunt Don Callis with an Impact angle. They do so well leading the crowd to the Hangman chant. Dark Order come out to a huge pop. Uno's drip is insanely good. Bangkok gag is a good one. Beat down on Uno until Hangmin comes out to save his friends.

Oh poo poo. Hangman on the apron. The crowd are dying for it... and KENNY runs!

Darby Allin and Ethan Page interviewed. Dobby is quiet, but this is really good. The emotion here feels honest. Ethan Page, by the way, is really loving good.

2) FTR and Wardlow vs P&P and Jake Hager. HOT start with Santana and Harwood. God, I have missed big match Proud & Powerful. Hager is over with the crowd and I think he's got better. Santana is SUCH a babyface. Wardlow proves his value by breaking up a pin AND kicking the poo poo out of a guy in the same movement. Wardlow & Hager and the crowd eat it up. I want P&P to win and Hager to lose, is that possible? Cheat finish but it advances the feud. Konnan gets taken out postmatch. Cool.

Moxley defends the IWGP US title on Dynamite next week against Karl Anderson? Cool! Was this announced before now?

MJF heads out for a face to face with Jericho MJF is so good at this. MJF sets matches up for Jericho before he gets to face him. Which is great AND makes MJF look chickenshit. MJF sets up an obvious trap. Jericho reverses it. Perfectly fine.

Bored MMA guys in the crowd.

Britt interviewed. Decent.

3) Matt Sydal vs Andrade El Idolo. Oh, I love Andrade's mask. This is a decent but slow paced match. Andrade wrestling in suit pants really works and adds to the tranquil. When Andrade starts stringing things together people start responding. Decent match, but people will need to know Andrade in AEW more to respond to him. They want to cheer him right now.

Matt Hardy and Christian Cage package.

Arn interviewed, lights go out. It's Tommy End, it's not Tommy End, we don't know who it is, it's Malachi Black. Cody has a new opponent. Sure. Excalibur, stop knowing things in advance. Why can't he just be Tommy End?

Earlier today, Starks segment. Great jacket. This is weirdly cut. Starks announces his intention to gently caress Cage's wife.

4) Blade and Bunny vs Cassidy and Kris Stat. This is the boring version of a mixed tag. Except Cassidy does weak kicks on Bunny? Blade and Cassidy have a rager to start with. Kris Stat starts off with some serious offense on the bunny. Nice strikes, GREAT power. We had a point near the end where it sincerely looked like we were going to get Stat v Blade, and that would be a hell of a match. Nice thwarted shenanigans at the end. Fun match.

Jungle Boy gets a trophy for winning 50 matches.

Toney interviews a bunch of mma fighters. Okay. Some old fart cuts a promo. A bad promo. I am bored. Lance Archer becomes the biggest face in the business by beating him up. As a non mma fan this was boring.

Yaaay, Yuka is on next week.

5) Eddie Kingston and Penta vs the Young Bucks. Matt giving his bandana to Michael Nakazawa in the crowd is great. Lots of creative garbage spots here. Involuntary vasectomies all round. Jesus, Penta, that table spot was gruesome. This match is such a superb first big crowd main event. So much going on. Nick 450ing the ref was great. Cementing the fact that Kingston and Penta should have won makes the ending inevitable but oh well.

Good first touring show. Some stuff needs tightening up but this gives me hope for touring Dynamite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

harperdc posted:

Japan still has a 2-week quarantine on return even for citizens even if they're vaccinated, so unless Suzuki is 'written out' (however you want to phrase it) from NJPW for the time being, I don't think we're getting KAZE NI NARE. I would love to be wrong!

Suzuki-Gun has enough high profile guys at the moment that you could send him off for a break. Make it a working holiday where he also records a bunch of Strong and stretches all the LA Dojo young lions, then let him do Bloodsport.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

So how many people is this in AEW wrestling with one or both weird contact lenses now?

One less than before if Ryzin isn't coming on the road with them :(

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

One of the most incredible things about AEW right now in terms of talent is that if you were told to put together a show for next week only featuring wrestlers not pictured on TV this week it would be absurdly easy.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

At this point I just want Solow and Comoroto to feud with a face team that's nothing to do with Cody and try to get the stench off them

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

I hope Malakai Black infects the rest of the locker room with Lore so like we start getting moody social media vignettes about the true struggle inside the heart of Alex Abrahantes or whomever

Alex has severe attachment issues that lead to him joining whichever cult is going at the time. Whether it's a full on cult like the Dark Order, or a one man cult like Penta.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Kenny putting impediments in Hangman's path would be a great story (if they weren't already doing it with MJF and Jericho)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Other than the MMA match (which just wasn't my style) I've been entirely happy with how Hager has been used this year. He's muscle, he does a big guy thing and gets out of the way, and his promo bits have been decent. He's very much a tool for one job, but I don't have a huge problem with the way he does that job.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Number:

https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1413239695031607296

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Penguin Patrol posted:

Ok so it's been about a day and now all of a sudden I am excited to talk about Tommy End and his fake snakes and how this will tie into the AEW continuity after he gets out of the Cody bubble. I still think he's a nerd for thinking he could get a story told in WWE, but I will admit that I am a nerd who has a boner for whatever the gently caress is happening. I am glad he is getting to tell his story.

All the Fakes are Snakes

Jake "The Snake" Roberts - A snake in name only, a fake snake
The Snake in Jake's Bag - Got thrown by Miro, but we were reassured that the snake was okay. I have suspicions that this was a fake snake.
Serepentico / Jon Cruz - Serepentico is really Jon Cruz, a snake could not be any faker

Confirmed, we are getting a bigger and stronger Chaos Project consisting of Japanese Deathmatch Legend Dr. Luther, Serpentico, Malakai Black, Lance Archer, and Jake Roberts

And they're all gonna wear gloves that look like this.

Please tell me if I have forgotten any fake snakes. They can join Chaos Project too.

OK, he got me with the death metal logo.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Ganso Bomb posted:

We all should have known what was happening when they went to the ring for an Arn Anderson interview without any other wrestlers by his side. When's the last time he did an interview by himself and didn't get clocked?

Come to think of it, it feels like any time Cody or Arn are alone in the ring to do some kind of interview someone shows up to either beat their rear end or call them out.

Cody angle:

1) Cody comes to the ring to cut a promo
2) Cody gets beaten down by Bad Guy
3) Bad Guy cuts a promo on Cody a week after that
4) Cody either beats up Bad Guy then or cuts a promo a week later
5) they spin the Whacky Wheel Of Territories Wrestling Stipulations and book whatever singles match it lands on
6) Cody loses a tag match when Bad Guy cheats
7) Cody wins the gimmick match

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

smarxist posted:

CD in a lab coat with glasses grimly watching assistants pile up slabs of beef in the shape of a man

"MJF was able to build Wardlow in a CAVE! With a box of SCRAPS!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

In case people missed it (BECAUSE I SURE AS HELL DID) here are Orange Cassidy and Kris Statlander having a pretty drat good intergender match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtdYdhrLXHM

Pull the trigger, Tony. Pull it.

Oh yeah, this is the Midwest Mixtape match from Mania weekend 2019, this match whiiiips.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

Why is it so hard for people to grasp that Excalibur has internet

Part of this is a character thing. In the fiction of the show would the character of Excalibur be following the Instagram of recently released psychiatric patient Malaki Black?

it's also for me that I get a bit frustrated with commentators faced with a surprise suddenly knowing everything about the surprise, but that's a personal preference rather than a problem with the story.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

worth remembering also that this was Andrade's first match on any kind of a big stage since October. He'd done a couple of tags in LA in small nightclub shows, but nothing on this scale in terms of either audience or production.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If QT or the Factory are going to have any kind of life in AEW they need to get the gently caress away from Cody as soon as possible. That story is dead and should be buried. And then have concrete poured over the grave.

A lower card feud against some lower card faces could have legs, though. Something where Comoroto and Solow could get some wins against non-enhancement talent.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Astro7x posted:

I am reading that only 2,000 tickets are going up today for All Out at the general sale? Or are people just making that poo poo up.

I think they sold the rest already.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

Don't forget Kenny. Although it might have still been FCW then.

Kenny was Deep South.

Drakkel posted:

Can you imagine how WWE would write Orange Cassidy?

"I like this Juicy Cameron kid, Corey, he just loves to have fun!"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Mr. Squishy posted:

WWE may not know what to do with them but they definitely see the value AEW sees in them. Starks, Hobbs, and Eddie Kingston all got calls after their appearances on AEW, and it's hard to imagine Kingston getting as popular over there. The Good Brothers got a very generous contact because WWE knew the bucks wanted them for AEW.
But for the moment they value keeping their own expenses down over locking up talent who could draw money for other companies.

I think in the Nick Khan era we're liable to see a lot less spite-hirings, as the person with most control over the purse strings over than Vince is actually looking at business rather than brinkmanship.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Drakkel posted:

Never underestimate WWE's ability to convince people that things'll be different for them, not like the 800 other people they signed and did nothing with.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

karmicknight posted:

Eddie Kingston is from New York, he knows to respect trains.

Eddie Kingston would be on the participatory side of the goodnight express.

"The train of the day is the M3A on the Hudson Line limited service toward Poughkeepsie"

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Honestly this guy is a perfect encapsulation of the Cornette chud. He spent his own money to go to a show he hated, had a huge plan, jumped a barrier and got immediately owned, and now thinks that being publicly embarrassed makes him a hero.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

He was also really into enemas, right? Or was that another crazy capitalist weirdo?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

rantmo posted:

One of the Everything Elite hosts was at the show and had an episode with his brother where they laid out the DE card but I turned it off when they started to get a little too spoilery than I wanted. That said:

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1413615192294912003?s=20

I am very very into this.

OhAYAYAYAYAYAYo

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Shard posted:

I called my dad to talk about Jesus Christ superstar and what he thought of it and what my grandma thought about it when it came out in 73. While talking he brought up AEW.

He and my grandpa are really upset at those sneaky elite for always cheating and can't wait for Hangman to beat Kenny for the title :)

We likely have some good news for them in September

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

OK, will Ethan Page first yeet Darby and then stuff him in the coffin

OR

stuff him in the coffin, then yeet the coffin?

Sort of hoping for a repeat of the dumbest best spot of all time when Shunma Katsumata did a frog splash into a coffin filled with barbed wire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11b-aRxL7NE&t=863s

Ganso Bomb posted:

Pillman is now officially signed as his MLW contract wrapped up.

Weird that he'd want to work for the company where he's been interesting and fun to watch instead of the one where he was boring as poo poo.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lanky_Nibz posted:

I just watched both of those Johnny Silver matches y'all posted: SO good!

Watching AEW has me interested in watching the silly little indie wrestling shows here in CT. I can't wait. One promotion here had a dude whose gimmick was that he was Amish. He'd churn butter in the ring.

Levi Everett! He's so good, and apparently in real life just a lovely person.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Nah, gently caress him. When MLW came back, he had a match against Myron Reed, and he basically pulled an Ivelisse. He was so lazy, so apathetic in that match that it turned me off of him. I get that he didn't want to be in MLW anymore, but you don't take it out on your opponent. At one point, he threw a clothesline where he barely bothered to lift his arm. It was so disrespectful to Reed, who's busting his rear end off to put on a match.

Okay, if it's the match from 19th November, I just watched it and I'm really not seeing what you're seeing. Reed is working a more energetic style, and there's a couple of times where Pillman doesn't sell offense much, but he works the whole match. There's some awkward spots, but pulling an ivelisse would imply he just stopped working or tried to sabotage the match or his opponent, rather than the match just not being very good.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I seem to remember Pillman and Garrison pushing pretty hard to add Julia to the act and the idea coming from them, because they thought a cheerleader would round out their varsity gimmick perfectly

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

the sheer "daughter's unsuitable boyfriend in a 1987 sitcom" energy of this look is astounding.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

So this was a meta narrative about how much BTE needs Dark Order, right? Because this was rear end sandwich.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Good for the Blonds. Pillman has been considerably better than I had feared he would be when he started showing up regularly, and I legit think Garrison could be a main eventer in a few years.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

rotinaj posted:

Has griff done anything in other companies with more heft to it than spunky blue chipper, because as of now I feel like he is a less good jungle boy. I would be interested to see his range.

He had a fun tag team with Marcus Kross (the big hair guy from recent Darks) called The Master And The Machine. They were goofier than the Blonds, and Garrison had much more of a role as the team's muscle. They were just picking up some traction in Ring Of Honor when the pandemic happened and filming stopped.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Garrison could be a good violent, angry heel I think, if they want to turn him later.

They're showing some small signs of that in recent matches on Elevation, where he's just a bit more sadistic than he needs to be, and a bit more visibly pissed off with his opponents.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 12, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's really remarkable how much better the Sammy vlog was than BTE this week.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

smarxist posted:

yeah I was gonna comment how I really enjoyed how much nuance Hardy's promo on Dark injected into his gimmick. he started as completely sleazy dirtbag carnie, but he's not villainous, he's just a product of the material circumstances, and a caricature of the people that existed who, for better or worse, built the business. 30% may not be a wee fee, but he is delivering for his guys using his name/clout and making sure they go over as much as possible. Like I love the way he speaks about his guys, just glowing verbiage and praise. Everything he's done since since recruiting Private Party and flipping them heel has been inspired work and he's high in the running for my MVP of the year at this juncture.

And my favourite part of the Jora Johl stuff is that he told Jora how this would be. He literally cut a promo saying "You can join the Hardy Family Office, but you'll be joining at the bottom, you'll have to do the menial tasks and work your way up". Love me a truth telling heel.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

thinking the Yuta / Sammy match might be a sleeper hit.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

5 rings. All the matches take place simultaneously. Hollywood Honk wanders out and gets hit by every single person's finisher in succession

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

So there are now enough Pages in or associated with AEW to do a Pageboys stable. They all get pageboy haircuts or wigs and wear velvet wrestling gear inspired by heraldry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

They call themselves the Paige Turners

Because they're led by senior AEW official Paul Turner.