Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
STREET FIGHT 72 69.90%
MIXED TAG 13 12.62%
IDOLO DEBUTS 7 6.80%
STRAP MATCH 5 4.85%
TRIOS 6 5.83%
Total: 103 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
lmao WWE is powered entirely by hamsters running on wheels

smarxist posted:

give him a weird relationship with Abadon

I'd be into him coaxing BBB away from HFO once Butcher's back. They'd be a good fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

rotinaj posted:

And now there's only one WWE guy who I really desperately want to see free and in AEW, and that's Cesaro.

I'm still holding out hope for Tozawa and Uhaa.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

graph posted:

i thought the lights going out during the opening match was brilliant to have it lead to the second

i absolutely thought it was technical difficulties
I'm glad they only did it once on the show too, and during Cody's match. In hindsight it's foreshadowing, and more than once would've felt like a bit.

Shard posted:

Realistically how many more great wrestlers and potential stars from WWE could AEW even hold?
I have a pretty short list of only about 4-5 people and then I'm good. I think we'll see a noticeable shrink in the roster as they continue touring again too, or at least more people rotating out and back in later.

That kind of brings me back to something I mentioned in the GDT, which is that if we're talking more people getting TV time, I'm fine with getting an extra 5-6 minute match in favor of less filler. Jericho's singalong could've been the tail-end of PiP, the MMA guy yelling could've been a social media clip, they don't need a full wrestler's entrance just to interview someone, etc. If they added a quick Women's "in action" match featuring one of the ranked top 5 against an unranked challenger, or Miro beating on Griff in a TNT defense, I'd be totally fine with having peaks-and-valleys match lengths. I'm glad they managed to get 5 matches on the card tonight, but it's usually about 4 max with promos for the rest of the time. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to swing 3 matches per hour at minimum.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Oh, he's 100% doing the "demon who has amnesia" thing that he was talking about on the livestream, and i'm here for it.

Black: "I can't remember why, I just felt the intense desire to clobber Cody in the face with my boot."

Everyone else: "I mean, to be fair,"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
In lieu of security, they should just have Miro patrol aimlessly around ringside and stare at people. :stare:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
So how many people is this in AEW wrestling with one or both weird contact lenses now?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Kunabomber posted:

although he might have done that thing where he adds the S when talking, like Skiwisgar in Metalocalypse? I dunno how close the Dutch are to Scandinavians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJKVPYQW6KE

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Penguin Patrol posted:

All the Fakes are Snakes

Jake "The Snake" Roberts - A snake in name only, a fake snake
The Snake in Jake's Bag - Got thrown by Miro, but we were reassured that the snake was okay. I have suspicions that this was a fake snake.
Serepentico / Jon Cruz - Serepentico is really Jon Cruz, a snake could not be any faker
Excuse me but "all fakes are snakes" does not imply that all snakes are fakes. Much like all humans are apes, but not all apes are humans.

There are many real snakes.

Wazzu posted:

Malachai is goofy (when did Excalibur chat with him to learn the lore?), but hey if that's his new name, gotta get it over.
The same way we learned it? Ex has access to the same social media that we do.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I liked how they didn't show Cody running down the aisle to Arn's rescue, so by the camera shots it looked like he just materialized in the ring.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
So with the Karl/Mox thing, I wonder when they're actually going to take the IWGP US title off of Mox. The Good Brothers are doing a stint in Japan again, so it makes sense if Karl brings it back, then gets beaten there before returning to Impact. But if the plan was to return it this year, I figure they would've given it to Nagata.

I'm still a bit surprised they didn't put it on Kenny. He's got history as the first ever US champion, he's collecting all the belts he can, and The Elite was going to take out Mox for weeks anyway.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Why is it so hard for people to grasp that Excalibur has internet

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Yaya posted:

Tommy End creating this character with pages and pages of backstory and intricacies and excitedly explaining them to people is the most relatable thing a wrestler has ever done

Not even joking here, I bet he'd make an amazing DM.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I hope Malakai Black is going to team with his cousin Baron.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, I meant to speculate. I'm curious if he does one or if he stays off to not ruin his character. But a bunch of other people handle that fine, look at Abadon

Well now I want nothing more than to see Malakai reviewing Oreos with Allie.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Any time I see Hook standing next to Taz I can't help wondering what the hell Hook's mom looks like.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I just watched the first episode of I Think You Should Leave season 2 and it will be an absolute tragedy if they don't make a Coffin Flop reference next week.

Watch for Men of the Year to get some really complicated shirts from Dan Flashes.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MorningMoon posted:

Now that most of the spoiler thread stuff is announced, very curious about regular Dark because, as you can see, it's over ten freaking matches on Dark:Elevation, and nothing was filmed for Dark.
Isn't Dark Classic supposed to go into a different format/venue now anyway?

Nea posted:

I will say i think this is a flaw and that AEW should have more poo poo that's just weird in it, but that's personal taste. I would /love/ if Kris Stat was just an alien. I got in with lucha underground and it's left me a craving. Hopefully Malakai and Abadon, once she gets called up to the main show, get more of that in there.

If you liked LU, start watching MLW. Dario's there as the same character under a new name, and putting together a new spinoff show that's supposed to show up this autumn. It's basically "What's Azteca Underground doing in the MLW Zone" but hey, I'll take what I can get.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Lamuella posted:

I seem to remember Pillman and Garrison pushing pretty hard to add Julia to the act and the idea coming from them, because they thought a cheerleader would round out their varsity gimmick perfectly
I think they should add Sonny Kiss as their singles midcarder once the Bad Romance angle is over.

Davros1 posted:

Nah, gently caress him. When MLW came back, he had a match against Myron Reed, and he basically pulled an Ivelisse. He was so lazy, so apathetic in that match that it turned me off of him. I get that he didn't want to be in MLW anymore, but you don't take it out on your opponent. At one point, he threw a clothesline where he barely bothered to lift his arm. It was so disrespectful to Reed, who's busting his rear end off to put on a match.

Reed is one guy who I really hope gets a look by AEW, even in a Dark or Elevation capacity. He's still pretty young too so he's got a lot of career ahead of him.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Pinche Rudo posted:

Oh you meant literally lol. I was talking about in MLW. Go to 43 minutes in this video

https://youtu.be/37lTsxtqgu0

He was clearly just trying to cut his beard off. :wcw:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

smarxist posted:

#scoop: scoopsgal was seen kicking over a meatball stand in Chelsea a few minutes ago, hollering about bringing it home

Some hooligans knocked over a dustbin in Shaftsbury.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Pylons posted:

I've been re-watching the Kenny/Hangman segment from last week occasionally and the biggest standout to me is that the crowd got so loving loud when he was in position for the Buckshot Lariat. It ruled.

For anyone who says AEW doesn't do long-term storytelling, refer them to the minutes following the Kenny/Page vs Bucks title match at Revolution 2020 for this very reason. That's nearly a year and a half callback.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Pylons posted:

Elevation card for tonight.

Yay, Layla's back. :neckbeard:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Thanks I hate it

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

The VBs are the rare example of a blue chipper gimmick actually working, mostly because they're just so earnest in their white meat babyface energy :3:
As with Men of the Year, part of Varsity Blondes' gimmick working is that I know they're all huge nerds behind the scenes.

It's funny that it's actually Julia who brings real varsity cred to the team, being an actual cheerleading champion.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Need a tweet from Joel McHale saying "Julia's pretty young. We try not to sexualize her."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Does that make Maluta the first Anoa'i to show up in AEW?

Also, tiny suited -1 rules.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm KiLynn's ripped mom jeans/tie-dye fanny pack combo

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Given that Cody's reaction to fighting a British guy was Tone-Deaf American Hero, I'm fully expecting his role against Malakai Black to be White Savior and not understanding why that's problematic either.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

flashy_mcflash posted:

What do you think white saviour means

That's just his name, don't @ me

It's because he wears white and saves people from Black

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Alaois posted:

i dont think you're allowed to make this post, guy who makes fun of rapper names but has an intimate understanding of black metal

I make fun of black metal too

I mean have you seen their logos

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
You don't want Bubba in AEW.

Spike would be cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiRW9fdpViw

This is a pretty good video about how well AEW has built the roster. There's a particularly good point made about 7 minutes in about how different the cards are between Road Rager and Fyter Fest, and how it doesn't seem like there's anything missing because of the way they rotate their featured talent.