Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
STREET FIGHT 72 69.90%
MIXED TAG 13 12.62%
IDOLO DEBUTS 7 6.80%
STRAP MATCH 5 4.85%
TRIOS 6 5.83%
Total: 103 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's not Cody nepotism points. Do you think when people get out of the performance center onto NXT that's HHH nepotism? It's literally a school founded to be a place to get new young talent from.

It literally wasn't though? It was QT and Glacier's school for a couple years before Cody also wanted to teach so he got brought on as an additional owner and they capitalized on his name recognition to grow the business. And there's a fundamental difference between getting paid to be at the PC than paying $4500 for a 12 week pro wrestling boot camp that happens to get you face time with decision makers from one of the two national TV wrestling promotions.

Also, to be clear, I'm not mad or anything that Julia's gotten this opportunity and understand the sequence of events that got her in with Varsity Blondes, just kind of surprised that they see that level of upside with her, which is based only on what I've seen on Dark/Dynamite. I am at a "Huh, weird, ok" level with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Pylons posted:

Huh, this is interesting.

The Radioactive Dummy

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Pylons posted:

Huh, this is interesting.

I was just about to ask why we haven't seen Danny in a while. Huh.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

interested to see "i'm already in MLW" tested as a legal defense

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I liked Danny Limelight and I hope he makes lots of money

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Also, to be clear, I'm not mad or anything that Julia's gotten this opportunity and understand the sequence of events that got her in with Varsity Blondes, just kind of surprised that they see that level of upside with her, which is based only on what I've seen on Dark/Dynamite. I am at a "Huh, weird, ok" level with this.

My guess is that, with her age taken into account, her improvement was meteoric so they gave her extra rope (her enhancement matches in AEW) to see if she would plateau and she just lucked into the Varsity Blonds gimmick thanks to Pillman.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Yaya posted:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The main event at the local show I went to tonight was Sonny vs Dante, so pretty much an Elevation match. Dante got a huge pop cause he's from here but the place exploded for Sonny.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yaya posted:

Yeah, getting to still work New Japan is good because it means I'll still get to see him wrestle too (I mean, if we're going to continue to pretend that he and Rocky Romero aren't the same person).

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Vince MechMahon posted:

The main event at the local show I went to tonight was Sonny vs Dante, so pretty much an Elevation match. Dante got a huge pop cause he's from here but the place exploded for Sonny.

That's great to hear. Sonny has "future of AEW" potential and has really stepped up her game over the past year. Her strikes in particular look vicious.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I too, am ready to see Sonny in a program on Dynamite, or at the very least Rampage.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I really wonder what Rampage is gonna be all about. It should be 50% women's matches AT LEAST imho

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lanky_Nibz posted:

I really wonder what Rampage is gonna be all about. It should be 50% women's matches AT LEAST imho

The Cody Hour, Featuring Cody.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

hooman posted:

The Cody Hour, Featuring Cody.

I would take it if it got him off of Dynamite.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CombineThresher posted:

That's great to hear. Sonny has "future of AEW" potential and has really stepped up her game over the past year. Her strikes in particular look vicious.

i agree, ish, i just wish she'd trade in some of the more acrobatic moves for stuff that hits harder

the rapid kissmissile (cartwheel handspring slap) is fine as a signature, but none of the split legged stuff looks like it has much impact at all, the split legged stunner kinda works if she can get a better handle on it, but if it can't hit hard, pitch it for something that does imo, and she'll have a TNT champ run sooner than later

but yeah the strikes are vicious and :discourse:

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I recall a month or two ago Sonny ended a match (which lacked Joey DUN DUN DUN) by cutting a promo where he put the rest of the locker room on notice, so I really hope that goes somewhere. He deserves only the best imo,.

Also Sonny was good enough to do a Cameo for me for my buddy's birthday. It's not normally something I would have thought of but I look forward to my friend's brain melting when Sonny literally says his name and provides some words of encouragement. Strong recommendation.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Vince MechMahon posted:

:)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
re: Limelight

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1414012504217378822?s=20

So that’s cool

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sliced Lime. Delicious.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Vince MechMahon posted:

Sliced Lime. Delicious.

Radioactive Boogie

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Based on pictures from the show he also wrestled in long pants, which looked better than the trunks he typically wears, but I am also biased towards long boys.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I thought Konnan was dead, so this is doubly surprising.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

RandolphCarter posted:

I thought Konnan was dead, so this is doubly surprising.
Like, that he had died between Wednesday's Dynamite and today, or that he died as a result of Tully Blanchard chop blocking him?

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I feel like Sonny's ridiculous flexibility is perfect for some kind of crazy submission finisher.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

Like, that he had died between Wednesday's Dynamite and today, or that he died as a result of Tully Blanchard chop blocking him?

Low Ki stabbed him in the kidney with a metal spike in a match a couple years ago and I think that was Konnans last appearance

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

I have not watched aew in months, nor other wrestling in years, and kinda ended up in this thread on accident. I feel really stupid

RandolphCarter fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 11, 2021

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

I have not watched aew in months, nor other wrestling in years, and kinda ended up in this thread on accident. I feel really stupid

Oh you meant literally lol. I was talking about in MLW. Go to 43 minutes in this video

https://youtu.be/37lTsxtqgu0

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

RandolphCarter posted:

You might be thinking of Kanyon, who is, in fact, dead.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

RandolphCarter posted:

Perfect time to catch up on AEW which is nailing it as live touring just started up!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So glad to see all the Sonny love in this thread, of all the people not getting Dynamite time I think he's the one with most breakout potential

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Pinche Rudo posted:

Oh you meant literally lol. I was talking about in MLW. Go to 43 minutes in this video

https://youtu.be/37lTsxtqgu0

He was clearly just trying to cut his beard off. :wcw:

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I'd like to see more of Sonny vs Angelico. They've only had one singles match, as far as I know. I think there's the potential for lots of cool/fun stuff with their combined skillsets and character work.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RandolphCarter posted:

to be fair with the hernia he has and his refusal to go to a doctor I wouldn't be shocked if he just randomly dropped dead at any point

I don't know anything about hernias and what they do so maybe it's not actually dangerous and just hurts a lot or something

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My mate's had a hernia for the last 6 years and all it does is hurt like a bitch every now and again

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't know anything about hernias and what they do so maybe it's not actually dangerous and just hurts a lot or something
They hurt you bad in a tender location.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Nothing weird about it. She's still obviously very green, but already looks decent in the ring. Even beyond that, she's crazy over, has a great look (and I don't just mean she's very pretty, she's got that ... I dunno, X factor) has a good eye for putting on a show and is working well with the Varsity Blonds.

It's easy to see a huge upside here, and it makes total sense to lock her down before Vince spite-signs her to catering or something.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Dante got a huge pop cause he's from here but the place exploded for Sonny.

That's so awesome. I'm not going to pretend wrestling is still a hotbed of enlightened attitudes, but it's so great to see people get to be themselves and be accepted and get over. We don't have to go back too many years (and we don't have to jump too many modern feds) to be in a place where openly gay, trans or genderfluid wrestlers would be an impossibility.

And of course Sonny's awesome in the ring as well.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 11, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Btw if anyone reported the stupid guy that tried to assault Jericho the other day, Twitter is starting to delete his poo poo and probably with enough reports delete/block him.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Vince MechMahon posted:

How was it for someone that still prefers to wear a mask in public and doesn't prefer to sit for long periods due to a back injury?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Btw if anyone reported the stupid guy that tried to assault Jericho the other day, Twitter is starting to delete his poo poo and probably with enough reports delete/block him.
its a small point in all of this but lol that he hit the ring during jericho and mjf who iirc are two of the aew folks that c*****te actually likes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

its a small point in all of this but lol that he hit the ring during jericho and mjf who iirc are two of the aew folks that c*****te actually likes

They dared to sing

They’re the worst kind of monsters