Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does Voting Matter
This poll is closed.
Yes 91 28.44%
No 133 41.56%
Jeb 59 18.44%
Bernie 37 11.56%
Total: 320 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i think it's hard to say voting on a national level doesn't matter after the way georgia shifted in the presidential and senatorial races. obviously your single vote wasn't the single difference maker, but the beauty of a mass movement is coming together with your comrades and flexing the immense power that emerges from the aggregate when you unite. if you decide to scab and break a picket line, the strike won't live or day based on your single decision, but i don't think many in this thread would contend that striking is pointless on an individual level. i guess it is easier to hold this position in a state where vote by mail makes things very painless. the actual process of voting outside of choosing candidates takes me about half an hour each election tops

and i agree with other posters that local elections are very important in terms of impact on your wellbeing and the wellbeing of your community, but in my experience they can be difficult to navigate. very often the pool of candidates is shallow, their positions and priorities are even more opaque than the state or national level, and there are much fewer outside resources like detailed voting records and third party endorsements, which makes due diligence in choosing a candidate orders of magnitude harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU