Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Welcome to the 8th season of the ISO:FT Fantasy Football Beer League! The premise is simple: this is a fantasy league in which instead of league dues, you commit to sending out a box of beer worth over $50.00 curated from your local craft beer scene. Boxes should include growlers, bombers, and cans of beer that are not available outside of your geographical region, and that people might want to try. Because of this, we generally ask that you have some experience shipping beer, although most of us have experience in that arena and are happy to help.

Last year Zam took home first place (again!), garnering five boxes of beer (again!). On the Bored Wop Wild Man of Yolo came in 2nd place and perennial contender Paul Proteus finished third.

This year I'll be retaining the position of commissioner. I've been playing Fantasy Football (mostly badly) for about 8 or 9 years now and will do my best to keep this league humming.

Here's some background:

- Last year's league settings, for reference:
https://fantasy.espn.com/football/league/settings?leagueId=1018860

- Your beer boxes are due out shortly after the league ends, with the target date being before January 31, 2021. This may be subject to change when I've taken a closer look at the 2021 NFL Schedule but boxes should be out before the Super Bowl

- Participants are required to post a Toxx. You are responsible for shipping your beer to your recipient or you will be banned.

- We've typically put any rules changes to a vote on the first page of the thread.

- This was the payout structure from last year (and largely what it's been in the past):

Winner- 5 Boxes of Beer
2nd Place- 3 Boxes of Beer
3rd Place- 2 Boxes of Beer
Highest Single Game Point Total- 1 Box of Beer
Winner of the Loser's Bracket- 1 Box of Beer

-Spaces are grandfathered in for the people who participated last year:

Quiet Feet
Wild man of Yolo
Drunk Nerds
Paul Proteus
Jabro
Spacejung
Yellow Dart
Zam
B_Sketchy
Veritek83
Alfalfa
Funkybottoms

I will be updating this as need be. We currently have one slot that is definitely open and I believe only one person on the waiting list. This has been a 12-team league and hopefully will stay that way, although I do believe the first year of the league ran with only 10. If you want back in please post here or send me a PM. Looking forward to seeing everyone again this year.

Once we have participants ironed out I'll set up a poll to determine what time the draft will be. We've been using an auction draft and if you've never participated, it's not as hard as it looks, is a way more active experience than a snake draft and way more fun!

Edit: Draft time Doodle is here. I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem but the poll was randomly converted to Zurich Switzerland local time. I have no loving idea why. if you're seeing it, the times I blocked out each day were 12-4, 4-8, and 8-12 EST

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

:siren: As usual we'll also need everyone entering to copy/paste the following into a post in this thread.:siren:

I, [your name] :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

Team Name(TBA if you don't have one yet):

I also have one question to vote on. If anyone else has any other suggestions for rules changes now is the time to bring them up.

Q1: Should we change the loser's bracket rules to follow the standard results?

For the last couple of years we've gone by a bit of an arcane system to determine the winner of the loser's bracket. It's complicated and I forget how it goes every year and have to look back at old PMs with our prior commish to figure it out... and then it just ends up having the exact same results as it would have if we'd just gone by the standard ESPN rules. It's pointless and afaict is an artifact of a problem that needed ironing out in an earlier season.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

And on that note

I, Quiet Feet :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

Team Name: Dallas Sucks

[/quote]Q1: Should we change the loser's bracket rules to follow the standard results?

For the last couple of years we've gone by a bit of an arcane system to determine the winner of the loser's bracket. It's complicated and I forget how it goes every year and have to look back at old PMs with our prior commish to figure it out... and then it just ends up having the exact same results as it would have if we'd just gone by the standard ESPN rules. It's pointless and afaict is an artifact of a problem that needed ironing out in an earlier season.
[/quote]

I vote yes to just skip the extra work and stick with the standard results given that they've matched the prior formula anyway and I think the extra rules were only around to solve a problem that hasn't existed for years now.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

quote:

I, Veritek83 :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

Team Name: Saison Barley

Yes on the loser bracket question.

going to post in the old thread in case people haven't seen this one

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

I, The Wild Man of YOLO, :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

Team Name: Indianapolis Kölsch

Yes

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
This is pretty much a beer exchange program with a fun points system attached to it. It's a great league.

That said I can't do it this year for personal reasons, but I hope to join the waitlist next season.

Have fun everyone!

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
I'm back nananana nananana for my annual beer box donation

I, spacejung, :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

Team Name: Trappist Freiermuth 88

Yes, absolutely

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I would like to join your waitlist if you have one. I live in Northern CA, if that matters.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

I missed last season but would be down to return this season if a spot is available.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
hey, i participated!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Replyiing to literally everything...

Drunk Nerds posted:

This is pretty much a beer exchange program with a fun points system attached to it. It's a great league.

That said I can't do it this year for personal reasons, but I hope to join the waitlist next season.

Have fun everyone!

Sorry to hear that man but I understand and I guess I'll be seeing you in dynasty!

coronaball posted:

I would like to join your waitlist if you have one. I live in Northern CA, if that matters.

Added! Please put up your toxx post like the ones above.

YamataNoOrochi posted:

I missed last season but would be down to return this season if a spot is available.

Coronaball just snagged the open spot vacated by Drunknerds but I'll add you to the waitlist.

funkybottoms posted:

hey, i participated!

Yeah it turns out I can't count to twelve. You'll be jumping in (and thus adding your toxx post) again this year I take it?

So looks like this is where were at so far. I'll start PM'ing the others today.

Quiet Feet
Wild man of Yolo
Drunk Nerds
Paul Proteus
Jabro
Spacejung
Yellow Dart
Zam
B_Sketchy
Veritek83
Alfalfa
Coronaball
Funkybottoms

*Wait List*
YamataNoOrochi

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 21, 2021

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

I, coronaball, :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

Team Name: TBA, I'll edit this in after I get my invite.

I'm not sure I understand the situation, but sure, why not!

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Quiet Feet posted:

Yeah it turns out I can't count to twelve. You'll be jumping in (and thus adding your toxx post) again this year I take it?

i, funkybottoms, :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

team ice cole beersley

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
I, Alfalfa :toxx:, on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

I also promise to not be the last box out this season.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Set up the :siren:Draft time poll:siren: on Doodle.. We'll try to find a time that works for everyone though personally I'd prefer a Friday or Saturday night. I don't legitimately expect it to last four hours: don't think it's ever come close to that but it was easier to block it off that way. Jump in!

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Joined as Pliny the Younghoe Koo. (Not sure if this is inspired or ridiculous. Maybe it's both)

I perused the settings and everything looks cool. My only suggestion is to shitcan the divisions. Divisions don't really serve any purpose in fantasy. It seems half the time one division is loaded and the other is poo poo, and then you have a situation where a division winner gets a bye even though he has a worse record than the 3 seed (and sometimes even the 4 and 5 seed)

Thats my two cents, it's not a deal breaker or anything.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

I, Zam, :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

Team Name: TBD

Yes, it's been a pain to determine that every year and easier is better for everyone.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem but the Doodle poll was randomly converted to Zurich Switzerland local time. I have no loving idea why that was, or if it was just some random oddity on my end but I've changed it. The times I blocked out for each day were 12-4, 4-8, and 8-12 (PM for all of course) EST.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
I, the yellow dart, put a :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

Team Name : Alex Smith's Mangled Leg

Q1: Yes

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Hey I snuck back in :toot:

I, YamatoNoOrochi, :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

Team Name: Barrel-aged Tom Brady

Yes.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
I can not play this year. Please put me on the list like drunk nerds.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Paul Proteus posted:

I can not play this year. Please put me on the list like drunk nerds.

Sorry to hear it. Hope we'll see you next year!

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
I'll volunteer for the open spot if it's available.

B_sketchy
May 31, 2019

I, B_sketchy, put a :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

Team Name : TBD

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
I, Ayudo, put a :toxx: on myself to put together a $50 box of local beer and ship to one of the league winners at the end of the season.

Team Name : TRIPPEL OPTION

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Still need input on the draft time/date pollfrom Ayudo, B_Sketchy, and Funkybottoms. I'll be declaring the results midnight Friday regardless.

The current favorite, by one vote, is August 28th, 4:00-8:00 PM.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

my bad; submitted just now

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

:siren: final tally is in! :siren:

With 9 votes, we're set to have our draft starting at 4:00 PM EST on Sunday August 29th!

I probably should have checked this earlier but everyone was either seeing the poll in EST or knew to set it that way right? For whatever reason every time I went back to the drat thing it displayed the times in Zurich of all places.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

I have an in-person draft at that exact same time. Can it be that night, or literally any other evening?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Sorry but I have to stick with that. Given that nothing else garnered more than 8 votes I don't think it's going to be possible to find a time that works 100% for everyone.

Fwiw It's not my favorite date either because I've got another draft at 8:00 that night.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Quiet Feet posted:

Sorry but I have to stick with that. Given that nothing else garnered more than 8 votes I don't think it's going to be possible to find a time that works 100% for everyone.

Fwiw It's not my favorite date either because I've got another draft at 8:00 that night.

Alright let me see what I can do. If I have to drop out, I'll leave you with ample time to replace me.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

coronaball posted:

Alright let me see what I can do. If I have to drop out, I'll leave you with ample time to replace me.

A true alcoholic can run a regular draft and beer draft at the same time with a beer in each hand.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

coronaball posted:

Thread title reveals its true meaning

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I skipped last year but if there’s room I’d like to join again.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

coronaball posted:

I've made some arrangements, and I will be there to auction with all of you sick bastards on 8/29!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

coronaball posted:

I've made some arrangements, and I will be there to auction with all of you sick bastards on 8/29!

Glad you could make it!

Deedee, PM'ed you already to say this but I'll add you to the waitlist in case anyone needs to drop.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

:siren:draft is in two days!:siren: get your brews ready!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Drafting in 45 minutes!

B_sketchy
May 31, 2019

Good luck, everyone! That draft was a killer.

https://ratemyteam.footballguys.com/#fbgratemyteam/leaguesummary/3f82ab5c-ff0e-4a9f-b24b-7b8d45982aa2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Well it said I win the draft, so I’m fully ready to go winless until the post season and then win the consolation bracket.