Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I'm really excited for this game and I'm surprised its not more hyped, though I guess its style (both art and gameplay) is maybe a bit niche. That said it hits my buttons extremely well and everyone I've shown it to who might like it is also crazy hyped.

Hope it turns out as good as it looks - I am trying to go in relatively cold since it seems like there's some plot and I like to figure things out myself, so I haven't been watching streams to see how it plays 'minute to minute' other than a few brief skips around some recorded streams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

apseudonym posted:

I shot myself down with my own missile

Awesome

I shot down another ship with a different enemy's missile!

The game is tough, I might wait to see if we get a patch (or maybe mod/hack) for just a few more options because

idiotsavant posted:

Yeah, the combo of super obtuse UI, unforgiving controls/difficulty, and glitchy/lossy/bullet-holey visuals was too much for me. It's tempting to keep trying but I already know I'll end up banging my head against a wall
While a lot of this is super cool, I don't want to feel like I'm playing a game with a sort of step function difficulty. It feels like I might have 50 extremely lovely false starts and die majorly early until it all clicks and then it'll become relatively trivial/rote? The game is satisfying difficult to me except for one glaring thing: It feels like it sort of forces you forward. With towns going dangerous (which doesn't seem to fade) and after hitting a transport and it summoning a cruiser group I feel like I'm already in a desperate claw for money and I'm being very careful not to ruin poo poo in fights or travel unnecessarily. Given the FTL comparison I guess losing is probably a part of it, but its very hard to fight the "woops, this is hosed" urge once you see it coming to see if you get any sort of 'bonus' from a playthrough (maybe more bonus cash?) That might help the 'early false start' aspect along a lot, though! If not, I'd want to tune it down by maybe just 15% and I think it would be a sweet spot for the first couple hours of the game until I get my legs under me.

That said the 'glitchy' bits might lose their appeal really quick. I love what its trying to do and it makes for a great experience at first, but I bet by hour 20 I'll basically be over any novelty and just want a more clean experience. It is really tiresome on the eyes - I've stared at games for marathon times and this is one of the few that I really need breaks from. Maybe not, it could stay cool! I'm reserving judgement on "great" or "almost great except" until I can play it more.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

I haven't found good use for strike bombers. I can consistently get surprise attacks with good scouting and IR, but at that point i've always found it easier to just toss a bunch of HE toward the deck rather than try to score a hit with a bomb.

There needs to be a balance patch that gives you unlimited 250lb HE bombs like regular ammo, instead of just having to buy the 1000lb ones. Missiles right now work pretty good as a rare resource at least, since they track and I can reliably get hits.

Bummer, I haven't used them much but the idea of making hyperspeed bomber interceptors to hit craft still on the ground was an idea I hoped to explore.

So I haven't done it in a campaign yet, but I was testing the Lightning(?), the interceptor. Do not sleep on that interceptor, my god. You spend a lot of time in dogfights in black-out G hell, but in a test in the ship builder I managed to destroy 3 much meaner, much heavier craft by baiting their friends into shooting them with guns and missiles. It's wild how much you can get done with a little bit of speed. It's biggest weakness, honestly, ended up being 1v1 when I couldn't create chaos among the enemies.

But seriously, one fight, like 3 missile friendly fires. You can also modify it slightly and put big(ger) chunky guns on it if you're good at aiming the big chunky guns.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mordja posted:

So I'm mostly anti-roguelike but I hear there are specific cities your can restart from if you get blowed up. How frequent are they, and around how long does it seem a single campaign run would take?

Can't answer your question as I don't know either, but I will say that after having run one play out and getting bonus money for it, the game does seem to want you to fail and try again by giving you more resources for subsequent starts, so I suspect it would be pretty hard to win your first campaign unless you really get a handle on the game's minutia.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Anyone have an inkling what makes a “flagship?” I tried to make an expensive cruiser that I thought might qualify but it still forced me to take the Sevastopol in a new campaign. I built a cruiser with no missiles (tactical or strategic), lots of guns, lots of fuel, and all of the sensors. It cost over 100k, but only just (I suspected maybe 100k cost meant flagship.)

The Sevastopol is great don’t get me wrong, but I was trying to downsize the flagship as much as I could. Given the way combat works, I’m inclined to never want to mix roles in the sense of having a ship that has cruise missiles but also guns and things. Since I can only ever field one ship I don’t care to bring along strategic weapons with them.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

it depends where the strike fleet actually is

Yeah they do make it sound like "OH poo poo WORLDS ENDING" with a red flashing 'Dangerous' if you stay forever, but it just means that your position is being relayed to the nearest(?) strike fleet, I believe. Eventually, they will shoot missiles at you and move to engage. If you're very undetected so far (or planning to quickly beat feet) getting spotted isn't necessarily the worst thing, especially if it means an extra few hours to grab a morale or finish repairing your favorite combat ship. Just be very aware that it does give the enemy a target if you plan on hanging around that immediate area.

All that said, I still do my best to not overstay and would rather repair a ship in two parts if I can avoid using it during the next city combat.

M_Gargantua posted:

The skylark is designed to be a passive scout. You can move long distances with a low thermal signature and radar cross section, so you can plop it 50km off of a supply line and snoop traffic while your fleet moves elsewhere. If you can get a bearing with the RWR or thermal, then scoot, then get another bearing, you'll have a fix on whatever it is.

All of this info about signatures and cross sections and ranges being thrown at me and it never occurred to me to do something like this. I'm going to have to start thinking way more creatively, this is cool.

Can you leave a skylark more or less indefinitely landed somewhere or will it eventually screw up their morale or something?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Can anyone give 50 words on strategic weapons? I could just trial and error I suppose but wondering how aircraft raids and cruise/nukes work. Do you just have to get their cone onto an enemy not unlike missiles coming at you? Are planes similar? Do planes make for good scouts for missiles?

I've been having too much fun with fleets that are nothing but small interceptors and things to get much in the way of missiles.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

You can use planes during actual battles too, from what I've seen. Not sure how good they are.

The shipbuilder test mode is always pretty unforgiving but I tested this and they seem pretty much useless all things considered, unless maybe you had a lot of bombers and got lucky with a large enemy ship they can nail.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

One thing I don't think I saw mentioned here was that when you intercept radio transmissions, the bearing that you tune (the second knob) is the origin of the radio signal, which can be vitally important to help track things.

Maybe the game tells you this outright, maybe you should know because its a "bearing" knob, but it went right over my head until I figured it out and it was crazy helpful.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Missiles and Planes report:
Cruise missiles and aircraft carriers are well balanced, I thought they would be lovely. So many games that have weapons like those always have trouble balancing them - either they crush or they are totally outclassed by something else. I just took out two strike groups for a total loss of 2 aircraft and expending 10 cruise missiles (and a good chunk of maneuvering fuel to get the carriers and missile launchers into position/range, but that's just the cost of doing business.)

Cruise missiles are fairly binary if you can get them on target, but they have just enough hardiness that I only lost a few to enemy CIWS or anti-air missiles. Obviously they have great range, you just have to get them on target. Planes are much the same, the range is great but they absolutely need special ammo - I split between 250mm(?) rockets for the larger planes and 250kg bombs for the smaller ones. Again, they can get hit by CIWS or anti-air missiles but in both sorties they managed to down a large cruiser with bombs. I think crucially I hit both strike groups on the ground - it seems like they have a pretty bad defensive response when they're landed.

All-in-all a pretty expensive proposition between the special plane ammo expended and the number of missiles expended, but crushing 2 strike groups for legit no damage besides two lost planes is pretty insane.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

If there’s wheels hidden somewhere it’s time for a total conversion mod to the Mad Max universe.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Vizuyos posted:

Does anyone know what influences the chance of the fire suppression working? There's clearly something inherent to ship design that affects the chance, because it usually works on the stock ships, but literally never ever actually extinguishes fires on my armored brick no matter how many charges I pop.

Does it locationally pop from where it’s placed? The only time I’ve had it fail is on the Sevastopol which I just assumed the fires were too large at the time.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

TescoBag posted:

I’d have preferred they still allow the bonus to accumulate but nerfed the amount you get quite a bit.

This is my ideal too. Then again if everything is in plaintext, if I ever want to jack up my money to do a Hellfleet playthrough I could probably just mod it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I finally beat the game (albeit with some alt+f4 save scumming - cheating, but some of the very end game things are frustratingly weird to handle where the difference between utter loss and near flawless victory is 1 or 2 seemingly minor strategic decisions) and I dunno. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but at this point I don't see a lot of reason to play it again. The war of attrition style makes you be efficient, which means that I don't have a great desire to try and make some wildly different fleet/doctrine for how to win - not to mention that the 1v3 being constant sort of limits what you'd want to field anyway.

I'm not complaining about the campaign, but for me it does feel like its really and truly a single playthrough game. I was sort of hoping for a more 'fleet-in-being' strategic chess game of war rather than a cat-and-mouse sub hunter. I think thats slightly a limiting factor considering the time pressures the game puts you under. The very end game is a neat change-up but not quite enough. There's so many awesome mechanics with recon/intel and all that but having to run away until you don't sort of pigeon holes how I even want to use them. I'd be very interested in a version where the time pressure was just "enemies get harder" instead of "all your money runs out and you use more fuel all the time."

e: also have a lot of very minor annoyances like the trade ship reports and other very minor things that add up to a feeling of frustration. For a game that has a cool, old school manual it sure doesn't tell you a whole bunch of important things about how stuff works. Also, let me target a ship in an aircraft bombing run.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 14, 2021

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I should caveat that I don't want to say the game was bad, the campaign ruled and I loved it, but I can't imagine playing it at all differently enough that its fun to slog through it again in a meaningfully different way. I got my moneys worth in finally winning.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

a fatguy baldspot posted:

The supplies music is so relaxing

The hurty gurty strike fleet battle music is the most inspiring music I've ever heard.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Also re: cruise missiles and them hitting you or you firing blindly:

They aren’t cheating, but unfortunately neither are you.

If you get spotted somewhere, a strike group will often launch missiles (or planes, if carriers are nearby) at where they spotted you. Get spotted near a city? They’re going to cruise missile that city. If I get spotted at a city, I’ll quickly gently caress off to the last city I was at and only return after a bit, then I never see missiles. They could also be using ELINT if your radars are on

You can cheat them too. Intelligence is the easiest, it’ll tell you where strike groups are and where they’re going - but you can also use some creative ELINT triangulation or even scout aircraft to spot a group, then launch missiles at them. From their perspective, it might seem like they were hit “blindly.”

That weird game of missiles and spotting/hiding is subtle and weird but understanding how to exploit that becomes extremely critical.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It did take me multiple observations of me being struck by the enemy and multiple failures/misses of strikes before I got a feel for how to find and track enemies. It’s not easy and it can be frustrating until the mix of it all clicks.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Jamsque posted:

Killing a fleet with planes or cruise missiles does not produce a crash site or any salvage opportunity.

But the reward of a strike force never seeing you being crashed into the desert from your missiles is enough.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Dalaram posted:

- They say A-100N can intercept nukes, but that does not seem to be the case.

Importantly - and they don’t tell you this explicitly - a missile doesn’t enable any tracking until a certain point that seems relative to where you slapped the end of the arrow for aiming it. I’m not sure if this is either different for conventional cruise missiles or just hard to notice, but it happened a lot with my A100’s where I well overshot the target before tracking was enabled.

When intercepting, make sure you get the heading correct but back up the end of the “target” arrow so that it’ll start tracking before the target missile arrives. You’ll notice the missile gets a little cone on it for targeting. This might seem pointless and you might ask “why have this weird targeting behavior at all?” And I can confidently say after blowing up my own ship with an A100 nuke and having to reload my save that it’s very important to be able to decide when it starts tracking. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Polyakov posted:

I'm trying to work out the right approach to this game, I just clowned a strike group with a huge airstrike a little bit out of panic because it was coming for me, am I now going to get aggressively hunted by the others or will they largely return to where they came from once the alarm dies down or when they check out the alerted flags on the map and find I have left?

I guess the question is should I be aggressively trying to take out SGs whenever I think I can something I should be doing because the tutorial says keep clear at all costs and I worry I've aggrevated the enemy too much too early.

Honestly, you can do either. I’ve messed up an SG and then made scarce and gone quiet to lick my wounds, I’ve also used the opportunity to draw in more SGs to murder.

The tutorial does sort of imply they are to be dodged at all costs but really what it’s telling you is that SGs are the Big Bad you will run into and don’t take them lightly. If you’re fully locked and loaded and have some good cruiser killers (whether ships, planes+bombs, or cruise missiles) then go hog wild.

To answer about how they’ll attack you: SGs respond reasonably predictably. The enemy will go to where the last alarm spotted you and loiter a bit before retreating to their base (I think?) What you do around that is totally situational.