Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Highfleet has finally been released after 5 years in the making!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1434950/HighFleet/

What is it?

Highfleet is an upcoming Action/Strategy/Combat/Sci-fi/Fantasy/Tactical/Logistics game from the makers of Hammerfight!

It's set on a future earth where instead of using tanks/ships we've decided to start using massive multiple thousand ton flying machines in open combat at low altitudes. While it might not make much sense, it is definitely loving cool. You are a commander of a Sayadi (definitely not Russian) task force during it's invasion of another country called Gerat (definitely not a problematic country from the middle east). In order to do well, you're going to need to master combat in your flying behemoths, carefully manage your resources, explore cleverly, use diplomacy and possibly have the help of an ancient prophecy in order to bring the country of Gerat to heel.

Now I'm just going to post a couple of videos, because nothing I can write will tell you how gorgeous this game is, especially for a pixel graphics game.

https://i.imgur.com/2h3XhRZ.mp4 https://i.imgur.com/Ws6WYtR.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/Nzjkspn.mp4

If some of that doesn't convince you that this game looks awesome, I don't know what will.

The amount of detail this game goes into is pretty insane. As shown above when visiting cities you manually land in them, you have to stock up on fuel, ammunition (ballistic and missile etc) and speak to the various important people in each city. It goes much deeper than that though, there are carriers with the ability to launch strike missions on cities or targets before you attack them to soften them up, splitting your fleet up to catch people out by surprise, radio interception to try to figure out (and avoid) what your enemies are doing, a full and complete damage system on all your ships and oh, did I mention a Lego type ship builder so you can customise every piece of your ships?

Also the possibility of full nuclear war with your enemies destroying entire cities and fleets

https://i.imgur.com/tGU8I2A.mp4

There is a lot to talk about with this game, I could make a post twice as long as this one but I don't want to start putting people to sleep with it. This game impressed the resurrected Microprose so much they picked it up as a publisher so that probably says a bit about the quality of it. I'll post some preview videos that have been made below by various youtubers including Raptor and Splattercat who had a demo that included the prologue. Both were incredibly impressed and have gushed about it, Raptor was so impressed he's done multiple videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEq2dV2wTT0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT1_xoxY2_k

I'm really hoping this game ends up fantastic, and this is my first OP so let me know if you guys thing something else needs adding to this!

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Reserved

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Popete posted:

Can't wait to be very bad at designing ships.

Loads of premade ships you can edit from what I've seen, if you're like me and you don't have the design chops to build something that isn't always hideous.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I really like that you can build these terrifying monstrosities too:

https://i.imgur.com/enF5LZC.mp4

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I might add that it was made by the dev of hammer fight to the OP if people liked it that much then. I've never played it myself.

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 15, 2021

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

M_Gargantua posted:

Really hoping Nukes are apocalyptical with consequences rather than just nerfy with some soapy dialog about unleashing the genie.

Everywhere you go there are radiation readouts, so I'm guessing certain areas will be come more dangerous if nukes start going off at least.

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 16, 2021

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

A couple of neat gifs that I found!

Bombers attacking a ship and then it's ammo cooks off:

https://i.imgur.com/RQRFqvX.mp4

Shrapnel rounds shooting down missiles:

https://i.imgur.com/L5oNG03.mp4

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Hey, I found a neat thing and got it translated:

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

New previews out! Quite a few twitch streams are around and SimUK just released a 2 part video that is an hour and a half of gameplay!

He is terrible at landing and it's great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZoX-ro8tls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgU43u5Ovxg

EDIT: The manual has been released!

https://bit.ly/3iwMthH

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 21, 2021

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Back Hack posted:

You weren't kidding, basically destroy his fleet doing so, he's lucky the game lets him retry landings.

Yeah, he seemed to really struggle with it but other streamers didn't. I wonder what he's doing differently?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

It was updated to 1.0 on steam yesterday so I am very confident this will be coming out tomorrow. No mention on cost yet though, but as it's indie I would think it's going to be less than $30!

Streamers are having a huge issue with difficulty from what I've heard so far.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Serpentis posted:

Too easy or too hard?

Too hard from the sounds of it. Or at least quite complex. You know how Streamers are at playing games though. I watched one crash land ships over and over again like they were meteorites.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

tokenbrownguy posted:

I appreciate how poorly this is being marketed / released

like nobody knows even if it's coming out or how much it'll cost

truly a sign of a truly grognardy game and I am hyped

Both Microprose and the developer have confirmed it's definitely coming out (TODAY) via discord multiple times so I don't think that's in question at all. Cost is still up in the air!

I've not seen any of the streamers say anything bad about it yet, just that it's very difficult. They like the style and the combat, but we'll see how it goes!

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

TastyAvocado posted:

Other ship types are definitely necessary since you need fuel tankers and radar ships, but you can also launch long range missiles (including tactical nuclear missiles) at enemy fleets without directly engaging in combat so a support missile craft is also possible. Having a ship that's simply really good at shooting down long range missiles is another possible ship type, since there are both guns and defensive missiles that are designed for shooting down missiles, and apparently being nuked happens in the late game.

No way of knowing yet how viable or important each of these things is of course, although I imagine having some of these mixed and matched is good. The flagship does all of them to some extent for example.

There are also cruise missiles that are non-nuclear, tactical and strategic nukes and carriers that are able to launch offensive and defensive actions. It is incredibly grognardy.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Rumours are this will be out at 6PM BST, which is 6 and a half hours from this post!

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Pirate Radar posted:

Aww, I'll miss the launch then. I'll hop onto it tomorrow, I guess. From the looks of things, this thread might be a useful resource for us all to post things we've realized about the fiddly bits of the game.

Yeah, goons tend to be pretty good at this sort of stuff so looking forward to tips etc being posted

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I've not had chance to play it yet, but initially people are mentioning there isn't a lot in the way of settings etc for this. Hopefully this is something that will come soon from the dev, or maybe there is a config file that can be changed, we'll see. Seeing that most are liking the gameplay though.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So, a couple of tips from what I've been reading.

Armor is super cheap and quick to repair, so it's worth armouring up your starter ships. You can change out engines to improve your thrust/weight ratio.

A navarin with a 1000kg bomb is hilarious in strike groups for dropping bombs on ships that are still on the ground.

Incendiary ammo is great against ships with low armour.

Skylarks are good to send with a strike group, drop the fuel tanks on your strike ships to make them fast as gently caress and then the skylark will provide radar and be a fuel tanker.

You can land ships outside of a lane and they can see other ships going past (to jump on trade ships) without being detected.

Goddamn AP is good but expensive.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Seems like cruisers can be crazy useful later on, if you armour them correctly so they don't take too much expensive damage
For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvJ-E9TTEHM

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 28, 2021

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So, my first run is coming to an end. I've managed to smash through multiple strike groups with just my sevastapol, however I've now run out of fuel and landed.

Anyone know what my options are? Any way to get fuel when you're grounded? How do I actually end a run so that the stars I've earnt go towards the next run?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Does adding more ammo pods than required mean I can load in more rounds at once?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So a few people on the Microprose discord have managed to finish the game so its definitely possible to do.

Unfortunately I've barely had chance to play it, but I'm enjoying what I have seen so far even though the game is pretty tough.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Womyn Capote posted:

I'm definitely missing something, are there any good video tutorials for the map/radar stuff? I'm trying to figure out how to not run out of money so quickly just buying fuel at every stop. I know the advice was to split up my fleet but when I leave my slower ships behind it just turns dangerous there and I have to move them anyway? I don't see how that saves me on fuel.

Also, I have no idea what to do once I get an elint warning it always ends up with missiles coming after me and I can't shake them.

You leave your big fat heavy ships in the desert, not in a town.

Actually, do hidden cities become dangerous or can you stay there as long as you want?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Anyone have some feedback on the first ship I've made? Going for a gladiator with a bit more armour and firepower

EDIT: It's a brick

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 4, 2021

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I wonder what the repair bonus was.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Panzeh posted:

I had to wean myself off of using the automatic dialogue to send in strike forces to take cities now that my direct combat ships are slower than my tankers. That being said, small deathcubes are 100% worth it.

They patched the campaign bonuses to not accumulate anymore, which makes sense. Cost now matters again.

I’d have preferred they still allow the bonus to accumulate but nerfed the amount you get quite a bit.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Decided to make a replacement for the sevastapol, but make it more carrier based instead.

It's slightly less armoured, but it's twice as fast.

10x37mm and 10x57mm for direct damage, good enough to fight off corvettes etc, but probably wouldn't want to attempt to take on an SG directly with it.

Any feedback to improve on this?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Back Hack posted:

I don't know if you tested it in combat, but do the plane crash into ELINT tower in front of them? Because when I designed my first carrier I lost all my planes that way.

My only real observation is that you're going to need to fiddle with ship file to allow it to be a Flagship, unfortunately it's not something you can toggle in the ship builder. Other than that, it's got some pretty big blind spots for gun coverage and you probably need another fire control system, only having guidance 2 mean your AA missiles are very likely to miss.

E: Put in the list when you're done.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15aJC186FB5JM08b-mJH7rPZ9XugdU_cJMh84P9Y4g0E/edit#gid=0

Most of those guns have 360 degree coverage so it's pretty well covered in that regard.

I didn't realise FCS affects the sprint accuracy, I thought it was only for ballistic missiles. That makes a lot of sense I suppose!

What level of guidance would you recommend?

EDIT: I don't tend to use aircraft in combat, so while it's very likely they'll hit the ELINT tower I don't think I'll have an issue

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 8, 2021

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

BrotherJayne posted:

That wasn't a bug, that was a design choice, wasn't it?

I liked it, it let me lose campaigns until I had about 300k at the start.

Although the 300k start campaign is faultering, and I'm worried my start bonus is gonna be garbage after the "bug" was "patched"

If you want this changed back to something like it was before there is a thread on the steam forum requesting it and you should post your 2 cents in there. It's currently the biggest thread in the forum so far so it seems this change is a little unpopular.

I myself think the bonuses were too big per run before, but them accumulating over time was good. Maybe something in between would be good.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Panzeh posted:

Honestly I like having to give a poo poo about the money cost of ships.

I think a system where you can turn the bonus on and off or adjust the amount of bonus you can use would be better, makes everyone happy.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Friction posted:

I call this the I Can’t Believe It’s Not The Lightning

130mm guns and thrust for days.

Very nice!

You could probably put some steel hull pieces on there that would act as ablative armour to give it a touch of survivability]

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 9, 2021

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Friction posted:

Right now only the cockpit and ammo store have some steel on top. Leaving those exposed felt dumb even by pseudo Lightning standards. Needs some more combat testing to see what parts break first and check if those could be reasonably shielded.

I've found adding some steel hull and APS improves survivability quite a bit. Doesn't slow it down too much either. I like this design a lot!

I just wish I could add some CIWS on it, but I suppose it'll be losing it's lightningness then.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Friction posted:

Hah, love the mad 80s shoulders. About the APS. Does it really do much at all, or don’t the stock ships just have enough installed?

APS is pretty effective. It'll stop large artillery shells from hitting you and sometimes that one missile you can't dodge, but probably not worth fitting as many as I have on there as they are quite expensive, so the lightning loses it's cheap and cheerful gimmick. Maybe one APS each side would do it.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

M_Gargantua posted:

So on this design, the Brutus, I put 12 APS, and it really does massively improve the survivability against large caliber shells, they do burn out over the course of the fight but as long as they aren't destroyed they reload free similar to flares. They're what allow this ship to handle difficulty 10 large ship fleets in the editor. I've found difficulty 10 mixed small and mediums generally the most difficult of all test environments though, as the missile spam and fast targets extend your fight long enough to wear you down to the point where your engines finally can't keep an otherwise sound ship in the air. APS is very very expensive though.

Quad 6x180's with 360 degree coverage and lots of 37mm

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17vKegHc24OB_2-bdYf_rZsUuzuUFD9gh?usp=sharing

That is definitely a thing.

Shame you can't afford it at the start of the game anymore!

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Also with an antenna - I think it allows you to relay orders to your strike groups. I think at least one of your ships in the strike group needs an antenna in order for you to keep control of it. That I'm not entirely sure of and have only seen people mention it online.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Whats the difference between the two aircraft types?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Vizuyos posted:

I do have a lot of fun messing around in the ship builder, at least. My latest project is a dodgy ship with 4.7 TWR and twelve 57mm vulcans, the outcome of an experiment to see just how effective a bunch of vulcans can be.

Obviously not really campaign-ready with consumption like that, but it's a lot more effective than I expected on the test range. Turns out even 57mms will chew right through an armor plate if you put enough bullets in the same area. And with this many guns, just one full clip is enough to punch right through a large ship's armor and start chewing up its juicy insides. It's sometimes tricky to line up that focused fire since it can't afford to take many hits, but being able to shoot down artillery shells means it doesn't have to zip around quite as much as a Lightning does.

I made something vaguely similar.

The 57mm have become my favourite CIWS if you're using at least 4 of them, as they're able to ruin smaller ships without any issue and can also do a fair amount of damage to larger ships too.

They're also quite effective against cruise missiles.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

The bonus no longer accumulating is a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Haven't the 37mm been nerfed making it impossible for them to shoot down enemy artillery now?

The one thing I dislike about this game is the dev constantly nerfing everything into the ground, they seem obsessed with making the game harder rather than a) more fun and b) spending time on more features.