Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Has anyone said how much it's going to cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Welp. Win7 compatibility removed from the features list literally in the last hours before launch. It just crashes every time it tries to go to tactical view. Should've read more closely, but that's looking like a refund.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

OSaaS is a plague, but i like games.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Gaj posted:

Is the only way to delete ship models via the game folder and snooping them out? I have a bunch of junk ships that are taking up space at the roster screen.

Hover over the 'delete' button on the fleet creation screen at the start of a run, hit escape to bring up the menu and hide the card tooltip, escape again to close the menu, and then you can actually reach the delete button so long as you don't move the mouse.

I doubt this is intended behavior.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

Wait, do you have to swap to it? I haven't looked over at the magazine display during battle in a while, I just guesstimate the reload time.

If you choose a special ammo in the pre-battle screen, that ship will enter with that ammo already in the feed.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

a fatguy baldspot posted:

This game is so weird. I’m just a few missions in, is it going to teach me how to use the ship builder at some point. How do I get more money. Should my repairs be taking 50+ hours

No

Capture freighters and bring them back to a town you hold, or sell the guns and ammo you salvage after winning fights (do the salvage options with the coins on them). Or butter up prince ponce and beg him for cash with the help button in the upper right.

That's how long repairs take, yes. Try to get shot less (note: getting shot less is not possible if you deploy the Sevestapol. Try sending other ships instead)

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 31, 2021

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Spam 100/130mm instead.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Today in Probably Cheating (tm), i present: hiding active defence systems without sacrificing armor coverage.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Top Gun Reference posted:

If you test that design you'll know right away since your ammo boxes are right at the edges :v:

On that criteria, it hardly ever explodes before it's been pounded to scrap, so i think it's pretty airtight?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Okay, how are you supposed to do planes.

I got the drop on two early game strike groups sitting together on the ground, hit them with 3 Wasps worth of fighter-bombers with 122mm rockets and traded 9/14 planes in the strike for 2/5 aux cruisers. It's probably a better result than throwing 18,000 gold of intrepid mk2 at them in a ramming maneuver would have been, but still... that's it?

Also, boo to the bonus funding change. I only have 3 wasps to play with because i got within a hair of winning last run. (Killed both missile carriers and 4/5 SG, but I just ran out of ships to cover a compass point and the last one sidled up and slid two nukes into Khiva)

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Back Hack posted:

E2: Especially especially since ship drop bombs do so little damage and are so extremely hard to find. I don't think I've ever seen them in a shop.

Strategic missiles, fighter airframes, and corvette bombs are really only sold at Rare Module market cities, with the ¢ symbol

E - really, if you need anything more than the most basic gear (hull, armor, engines, fuel, ammo/crew/generators), you're going to have to go to a rare modules bazaar. You can put things into that fleet's storage by right-clicking it from the shipworks screen purchase section and then fly it over to a shipyard city to install.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 7, 2021

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Marzzle posted:

when you meet tarkharans (sic) is there a way to know what the best responses are or is it just trial and error over multiple runs until you sorta figure out everyone's personality?

I like to think they get so offended by your missteps that they just jet the gently caress off to stick it to this rude as hell sky duke

They don't change between runs, so at this point i just have a notepad with their personality notes. Also, the personalities affect how much they like one gift over another - imperial banners for people that like the empire, icons for the faithful, etc etc

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

By the time you have a strong peak on the 360 sensor, they're basically on top of you already. The bearing scanner is more digital - either there's a thing there, and you get a track, or not.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

IR: every time this has ever pinged anything it's turned out to be an incoming cruise missile

Sometimes it's an incoming enemy fighter wing!

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm having a bug where when two groups of fighters engage each other with no actual ships around, all my fighters are instantly deleted afterward if any enemy fighters survive?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Penitent posted:

Other than hints about hidden cities you get from events, is there a reliable way to find them yourself? Do people fly around with ground radar bangin' away?

You know how, on the map, the cities are spaced roughly on a grid, so the lines linking the cities are always roughly a similar distance? Hidden cities still follow the same random map generation rules as the normal ones, it just doesn't show them to you. So, if you see an obvious gap in the coverage of cities on the map, like a wider than usual gap between 'areas', or a ring of 5-6 cities around an empty space in the middle, go send a Skylark to follow the roads out from one of the ones on the edge.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Marzzle posted:

If a single ship of a strike group makes it out can it get buddy ships back or will it stay stuck at the surviving ship and get repairs etc??

They definitely repair (and if you look at the last known position icon on the map, you'll see their estimated repair time), but I've never seen one get ships back.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

Out of curiosity is there someplace y'all are getting some of this more obscure information (like missile ranges, wasted 3 A-100s till I figured out there were meant to be short range)

If you hit the button to launch pretty much anything launchable, it'll put a maximum range circle on the map while you're aiming it. Missiles, planes, your own strike groups; game's big on range circles.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Discovery of the day: you can right-click on a salvage option to instantly blow it up, if, for example, you wanted to gtfo before a hail of Kh-15's came at your pack of Lightnings but they won't stop digging through the scrap.

E - I right-clicked on the overmap and they wouldn't leave, kept salvaging instead. Once they had a destination on the map, i right-clicked on the salvage options in a panic and the salvage blew up. Then i tried it again next battle on a salvage i didn't care about, and nothing happened :iiam:

Affi posted:

But I do have a question:

Did I hit a bug? Suddenly it seemed like my Elint was going crazy and telling me enemies were superclose. But they were mileees away. Is it a combined weight of their radars its reacting to? I poked it and it was two strikegroups next to each other.

They fired up a jammer. ELINT isn't actually reading 'range', it's reading 'signal strength', and as noted earlier a jammer works by making GBS threads out so much radar energy that trying to get a lock on them is like looking into the sun. I've seen an MP-404 pick up a jammer as ELINT 1 at 4000+ km

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 12, 2021

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I've seen one trait flip from time to time, but the fact that i keep sweet talking everyone in at rank 3-4 suggests that they aren't changing their major loves/hates

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I have 100% seen someone flip 'Likes Romani' to 'Dislike Romani' between runs, which cost me a 4-star recruitment on them when i started talking up the glory of the Empire. This was also between game versions though, so maybe they're getting patched?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

It does not, you can extend your range by pulling all the armor off a ship and cramming it in the magic cargo void. Only thing it costs you is shipyard time if you want to put it back.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Capntastic posted:

Oh excellent, that is good to know! Thanks!

This is still an active radar. Although it's weaker than the big one, it will still show up on enemy ELINT (and therefore summon cruise missiles to your face) from further out than it can see the enemy.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

You can also now change the aiming stick to be long by default from the options menu, which made a world of difference in my ability to solo god and all his angels with a Lightning.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Also, every city you take will give you free fuel and 3-4 free ships. Ammo becomes weird, though.

Those nukes should still be in the city where you left them, and subject to the... usual discount for the endgame. If you strip everything but the engines and a dozen fuel tanks off a Navarin or Lightning, you can make a 1200kph courier to go fetch them - put your missile carriers at a shipyard city to speed up reloads.

If you clear out a city before you take Khiva, you get the free ship reinforcements there next time you visit. On the run where i won, it was honestly more difficult to get tankers in position to move my newfound swarms of Feneks around than it was to take out the enemy nuke groups

How much use did everyone else get out of mid-campaign ship reconfiguration at shipyard cities? I do feel it's only really worth doing if you have a +400-500% city, but i was still going pretty hard turning Tarkhan ships i didn't like into tankers and scouts cough to replace losses cough. Since the sell price is exactly equal to the price of all modules on the ship, i even turned a tidy profit by selling off the bits i removed.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Bombs if they're landed, or cruisers (or longbows). Rokkits for frigates and corvettes in the air.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Affi posted:

Is that because of time or progress.

I'm almost certain it's proximity to Khiva. I took my sweet drat time on the run I won - there were multiple events for my crew freezing to death in the nuclear winter, but the Strike Groups weren't ever recalled until i was... maybe 2000km from the goal?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've had it happen while still in the bottom-most section of the map on a new game before, my thought has always been that it was either time-gated or based on something like how aware of your presence the enemy is because it always seems to come up right around the time I stop hiding from them.

I mean, i know we're both just quoting personal experience with a sample size of like a few runs here, buuuuut...

The instant any enemy sees a single plane all of Gerat goes on high alert like it's madagascar in Pandemic, so i spent probably the entire first week of that run spotted and alerted. Relatedly, i killed all 5 SG's early when they came down to whack me, and so i basically ignored the danger notices. I had like 50% of the map at yellow DANGER with half a dozen red ones, and I was leaving the Sevestapol parked out in the desert for weeks at a time while I went hunting for hidden cities. The main reason i ended that run was it turns out cargo ships are finite and i had to get a move on before i bled out on cash.

It's difficult to overstate the degree to which i was loving around and not bothering to hide, is what i'm trying to get at here.

So, i think i can pretty firmly say that in my experience 'proximity to khiva' is the only variable that ever seems to have any affect on the SG recall triggering. :shrug:

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 2, 2021

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Does the missing detail in the ending change if you beat it on Hard mode?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Xerxes17 posted:

but I am skint for cash (12k) so It'll have to be the next run for trying a new doctrine.

You do get extra starting cash on the next run based on how far you got, so be sure you finish out your current one (either to the death, by reaching khiva and playing it out, or by hitting the specific 'give up' button).

Just overwriting your save from the main menu won't give you the bonus rubles you've bled for!

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a hotkey in the shipworks to place another of whatever you just placed?

Hold shift when placing

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

100Kg bombs are for landed ships, or flying cruisers. 250Kg bombs are for if you really don't like that cruiser. Most of the light/medium cruisers have their bridge on the top, so headcapping them with a star wars trench run bomber flight is aggressively valid.
122mm rockets trade some damage for keeping your planes a little safer than bombs. Because they fire in a shotgun spray, you have some hope of tagging an airborne frigate with them. 340mm rockets are to let your T-7 pilots compensate for something.

Anti-air missiles are for your T-7 jets to shoot down incoming Kh-15's, and other planes if they have nothing better to do. The firing interval is exactly short enough that if you give them two AAMs, they will waste the second before seeing if the first hits.

Guns are a sign that you have done something wrong, and will soon retire the run due to lack of cash.

Balling all of your planes up and throwing them at a target is a good way to get rid of pilots that you don't like! The first wave will get the surprise attack bonus (if available), and everyone else will fly into a wall of AAA.
Sending out planes in groups of 2-3 cheeses the gently caress out of the AI lets all your planes get the surprise attack bonus. You might still eat a Sprint or two on the way in, but you won't scour all of Elaat for replacement airframes after every sortie.

If your planes are aimed at an airborne corvette, call them off. This way lies sadness, airframe loss, and UXO in the desert.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

Serephina posted:

Cool, I think I'm gonna scrap this campaign and start again; strip the Sevastapol of all its guns, and start with an actual brawler in addition to all of the interceptors. Anything I should do tomorrow before I restart, e.g. suicide the Sevastapol into a "HQ" city for plot reasons // or unlock new ships?

Your score at the end of each run is added to your starting cash next game, so it can be worthwhile to make an effort even if your game is obviously doomed. Take as many cities and prize ships as you can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

But on the subject of the economy, yes there is a limited amount of Money in the world. When it's gone, it's gone, and you do need to be in Khiva before you run out!