Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
CAGE VS STARKS 22 18.33%
CAGE VS HARDY 7 5.83%
PAGE VS DARBY 61 50.83%
THE MAGICAL GIRL VS THE BAD GIRL 11 9.17%
MOX VS KARL 13 10.83%
SAM VS WHEELER 6 5.00%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Lol that Miro's gimmick is now literally "I sucked for eight months, then I redeemed myself" after everybody spent so long trying to defend that detritus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If you want to argue that Miro doing a more low key gimmick and palling around with Kip Sabian and feuding with the Best Friends added a bit of depth while they waited to play out all of Darby's stories with the TNT title, fine. Be my guest.

If you want to argue that this required Billy Mitchell and pajamas and all the rest of that total garbage, no! It stunk. And now Miro has confirmed it loving stunk. God's favorite champion has delivered the good word to God's favorite posters, the ones who know that the garbage was garbage. Long may he reign.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I wonder if Jericho vs. MJF, Jerichos career on the line main events All Out and Hangman vs. Omega main events Grand Slam.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Number.

Number.

NUMBER.

*grabs Ganso Bomb and shakes them*

NUMBER!!!!!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay, highest quarter, stake your bets now. Mox/gunka, Christian/Hardy or Darby/Page?

We all know it was actually Yuka, this is just for second place.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

karmicknight posted:

burying the lede by not posting the rest of that tweet:

https://twitter.com/andyhmurray/status/1415782889946550274

Somebody recently described Raw as just shooting B-roll and it makes tons of sense.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'd say it's more like the weird auto-generated 3d animated stuff you see on Youtube sometimes to farm views

https://twitter.com/candy_chateau/status/1367469149753073665

Nah, that stuff is way more entertaining than Raw.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Ganso Bomb posted:

AAAAHHHHH WHY AM I BEING SHAKEN

NUMBER!!!

https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1415844081947795456

The show WENT UP AS GAME 4 STARTED.

WHAT? :psyduck:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Orange Carlisle posted:

Britt Baker is the new demo god

It's very clearly Big Match QT Mar-SHALL.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Probably a hot take in this thread but Uno and Grayson should be the ones getting the title shot, not Silver and Reynolds.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Cameo posted:

I’m assuming the end point for the tag belts atm is Stuno vs Bucks in the first AEW tag title ladder match, so I think Silver is just hinting that maybe his first match back (on TV, at least) is going to be that elimination match.

I’d also guess that elimination match might be what anchors the first Rampage show. Spend four weeks building to a giant match like that, and the ramifications of the match lay out the top of the card for the PPV and there’s a straight build over the six shows after that.

Or the elimination match could just be the first Rampage show. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Spears has been good for literally his entire AEW run, the only difference is he's finally getting a push and TV time for more than two weeks.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It really bums me out that international travel is so hosed right now. Imagine if DDT, NOAH, DG and all of NJPW could get in on this.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Personally, I would prefer AEW does a worse job showcasing the talented women they've got.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay, new Road to Dynamite, heck yeah, let's go, let's watch Road to Dynamite

*pause 5 seconds in*

Shawn Spears either wants to or already has hosed a chair.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
At this point, I'm relatively confident Bryan is showing up in AEW, I guess you should hope they're not saving his debut for All Out. :v:

https://twitter.com/theAdamPage/status/1417664591203553281

So what are we gonna have Hangman say, PSP?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I get the feeling this was supposed to happen a while ago but the pandemic delayed it.

Tony Khan has been saying over and over he's got some aces up his sleeve. Here they are, its Punk and Bryan.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Pretty sure any beef between CM Punk and Colt Cabana could be squashed in like five seconds by TK writing both of them big fat checks. And maybe if he was in a place that wasn't toxic as gently caress, Punk would be less of a jerk. :shrug:

Rarity posted:

AEW's roster is amazing, they don't need Punk

Punk would immediately become a massive business mover in all facets for AEW. He is literally one of two available guys (with Cena now off the market) that as a single person, could bring significant growth to AEW.

Yes. They need him. Of course they need him.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

"You need mutton chops, kid."

Rarity posted:

They don't need Punk to start beating Raw regularly

It certainly wouldn't hurt!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

boxcarhobo posted:

i think the article is funny because its so incredibly vague and is just "hey we 'heard' punk is talking to aew from some guy somewhere haha isn't that crazy?" and im pretty sure this same thing happened at the last 2 all outs

Nnnnnnnno. SRS isn't some scoopz-with-a-z bullshitter, if he posted this, it means there's real traction to it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1417884529814118406

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I swear to God, you guys are going to make my head explode if we do this "ehhhhhhh but does AEW really neeeeeeed him?" thing every single time somebody becomes available. :cripes:

THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS YES.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

boxcarhobo posted:

if final countdown hits, im going to burn my loving house down

:toxx:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

StarkRavingMad posted:

I agree and also feel like they're two very different signings. DBry is a "there's a bunch of dream matches we can have" guy. Punk, you're bringing in as a personality.

It's also funny to go back and read the pipebomb promo now because it's still stuff people are saying ten years later:

Well, looks like he was wrong about the doofus son in law getting the company. :lol:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Bard Maddox posted:

personally I’m going to follow this cycle:

1) right now outwardly say that I’m not excited to see CM Punk
2) be pretty stoked to see him if he does show up because they’ll do a good job of making it be a cool moment
3) post about how he’s doing a pretty good job after a couple weeks in the company
4) enjoy good AEW programming

Literally the AEW version of this:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pylons posted:

Brodie was, but those are kind of understandable circumstances.

Ehhhh even Brodie killed jobbers for like a month before challenging Mox.

One can assume that if they hadn't been operating on a skeleton crew at that time he probably would've been beating midcarders instead.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Christian held up the world belt on like his 2nd appearanmce with the company but thankfully theyve forgotten about that

I mean that was basically just them getting some B-roll. The next week Christian immediately said "well yeah I know I gotta get wins first."

IcePhoenix posted:

Matt Cardona

Yes. Sign Matt Cardona. Worst case scenario, he's a TV-ready guy who looks good and can talk and can work that you can put with people on Dark Elevation to get them reps with a good vet.

Having said that, I think Cardona is probably enjoying himself more as a (I think relatively highly pushed?) guy in Impact and doing poo poo with Nick Gage on the indies.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I will go one step further.

If he were to become available, AEW should sign Dolph Ziggler. :colbert:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rarity posted:

Ban this sick filth

#PSPFearsHonkBros

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lethrom posted:

AEW doesn't need Punk, sure. But I'd pop so hard that I'd probably get stuck in my ceiling if he showed up at All Out. I'd probably actually go straight through the ceiling if they ditched Cult of Personality and instead used This Fire or Miseria Cantare. So I want him to show up, so long as it doesn't add friction to the locker room, but BBT seems pretty cognizant of that so I don't think he'd bring Punk in if it'd be a problem.

That said, Punk was most over with fans when he was being anti-authority, anti-company (at least IIRC). I'm not sure how you book someone like that, you can't have a face be anti-company, its not like AEW isn't giving fans what they want. Do you book him as the anti-company heel? I can suspend my disbelief for a lot in wrestling but "I, CM Punk, am stuck here in AEW even though I hate them because WWE wouldn't back an 18 wheeler full of gold bars into my driveway to get me to join them again" is asking too much, Vince would send at LEAST 3 of those trucks.

I mean, three of the actual real company EVPs are portraying corrupt heels right now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Senerio posted:

Not gonna lie. I don't want Punk, I want Sheamus.

Sheamus in AEW would slap because in addition to Sheamus in AEW, it would mean Sheamus in NJPW.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

StarkRavingMad posted:

Right now, anti-Elite would work, I think. "Oh I come in and surprise, surprise, the three EVPs of the company all holding belts." That's face, sort of anti-authority, but not anti-AEW as a whole. A Kazarian/Punk Elite Hunter alliance might be cool.

(edit): beaten multiple times on this while typing

For me, the Survivor Series match where he basically won the whole thing single-handedly and then they had zero follow-up on it for him was like "ok, here you can pin point where they could have tried to do something major with him and they decided nah, he's not that guy"

Do Punk and Kazarian have any kind of history?

Also, yeah, fun fact about that Survivor Series match, I'm pretty sure that role was supposed to be Roman. That whole situation is WWE in a nutshell.

Senerio posted:

It was a joke but I am an unironic Sheamus mark so it wasn't as well.

He's not like a top 50 wrestler or anything but Sheamus has quietly been really good for legit like half a decade now, so, yeah.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Punk and Bryan should feud over who is Renee's favorite co-host.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Roman Reigns posted:

I was under the impression Punk burned the AEW bridge way back when with the whole "I don't do contracts over text" stuff.

I was one of the people that turned on him completely during that "feud" storyline with Rusev/Miro, and I am completely down with him coming to AEW instead.

It did seem like that kind of annoyed Cody and Tony Khan so maybe it cooled things off for a while, but now that the pandemic is over, that doesn't really matter when there's money to be made.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

the corn man who shall not be named is one of the few genuinely burned bridges i can think of

Besides him, Hogan is also banned for life.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1417926099053400064

Christian Cage is ranked.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jordan7hm posted:

It's interesting that both the Acclaimed and Varsity Blondes remain at the top despite their losses to the Bucks.

I think the tag team rankings are kind of a holding pattern because Uno and Grayson are getting the next shot.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
People still going "why is this Dark shmuck not ranked" in the year of our lord 2021.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Do you guys think they'll eventually pair or at least associate Mox with Death Triangle, given his connection to Eddie and Eddie's connection to Penta?

He already has worked with them before, so, yeah, I do think he'll circle back to them again.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Drakkel posted:

Were they expecting like New Japan but in English?

Yes.

Some people reasonably expected something very NJPW-like based on the people involved and were maybe a little disappointed when it was closer to like. A mix of WCW, southern stuff, American indies with little dashings of puro in there. But I think all of those people have either adjusted to what AEW is or have just accepted it's not for them.

Meanwhile, some people were just looking to get upset no matter what it was.

Drakkel posted:

Part of me wishes they did a quick video recap of Dark/Elevation. Not huge just like, I dunno 2 to 3 minutes of showing the finishes/big spots of each match so people remember these characters exist. The crawl's a decent idea but extremely easy to miss.

I want a little more of what they did with Wheeler Yuta, like Quantum of Phallus mention. Just like, I dunno between Q2 and Q3, do "And here's Dark in 60 seconds!" where you run down important stuff to keep people apprised of the stories building on Dark and Elevation. For example, the stuff between Acclaimed and Varsity Blondes that's probably going to be blown off in an Eliminator match on Dynamite? Show a little bit of that promo on Dynamite to make people aware of it, even if you're going to build the entire feud on Dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rarity posted:

Realtalk: Punk was a very good worker by the standards of WWE's roster in the early 10s but since then we've had the rise of Omega, Ibushi, Andrade, Fenix, Adam Cole and a whole lot more besides. Even if he was able to perform at his best level after 7 years away he's not going to seem as good as he used to be because the overall quality of wrestling is so much better.

I think by the standards of today, even peak Punk would be kind of a middling worker, not sloppy, but also not totally crisp. And he probably wouldn't be at that level anymore, because his last few years in WWE just wrecked his body.

But I think one thing Punk would still have is a very good grasp of psychology. He could very easily be a Tanahashi/Jericho type who wrestles a different style and is every bit as compelling, in a different way.

And, the dude has pretty much been doing combat sport training without pause, so I dunno that he'd be that rusty physically. It'd probably take him a while to get used to taking bumps again, though.