Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
CAGE VS STARKS 22 18.33%
CAGE VS HARDY 7 5.83%
PAGE VS DARBY 61 50.83%
THE MAGICAL GIRL VS THE BAD GIRL 11 9.17%
MOX VS KARL 13 10.83%
SAM VS WHEELER 6 5.00%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dynathoughts

Crowd still feels new and amazing

1) Karl Anderson vs Jon Moxley. Mox out with Eddie Kingston. Props to Excalibur for making Karl Anderson seem like a big deal. Good for Eddie neutralising Gallows on the outside. Match is under NJPW rules, so that's 1) 60 minute time limit 2) 20 second count out 3) ref is an absolute stooge. This is hard hitting, with Anderson trying to prove he belongs as a wrestler. The rope stunner / dropkick combo was spicy as gently caress. This match absolutely slaps. Best I've seen Anderson in years. Loved the Anderson spot where Mox elbowed him and he just turned in anger and gun stunned him. Things get a little scrappy towards the end but with a good looking Death Rider Moxley wins. Match fuckin slapped.

Lance promo about the IWGP title. I was *just thinking* that a Mox / Archer title match would rule.

Andrade interviewed by Alex Abrahantes. Hat. He's after the Death Triangle. Fuuuuuuuuuck.

2) Ricky Starks vs Brian Cage. Starks gets a NICE pop. These two stalk each other and then things explode. Love Taz on commentary just freaking out. Huge Ricky Starks chant. There's a couple of bits of this that are unexpectedly soft, but once it picks up it really picks up. Ricky's going for the juggler, no idea why that guy was at ringside. Brian, stop wiggling Ricky's rear end at me. Couple of very nice near falls here. Cage is in charge, but Ricky is no slouch and he has the crowd. BERZERK sit out powerbomb there. So many near falls. And then fuckery at the end AND NEWWWWW FTW champ. Good lil match but Cage will NOT be taking that lightly.

Angry Cody jumps on commentary then grabs a mic. His outburst on the headset was better than his one in the ring. Malachi genuinely opened a promo with "I once saw a man kill a horse". It all got a bit Father Ted.

So after the "you don't beat up the old man" segment, we get Proud and Powerful beating up an old man.

Hangmin out to challenge, interrupted by Don and the douchebags. "you're the next great wrestling tragedy" is an AMAZING line from Matt Jackson. Dark Order hit the ring 5v5 elimination match, Hangman and the Dark Order. Great in ring storytelling. Love how rattled Kenny is.

5 Labours of Jericho. It's pronounced "Cerberus" not "Cerebus", Chris. Next week: Spears vs Jericho, Spears can use a chair and Jericho can't. Nice.

3) Matt Hardy vs Christian Cage. Infinite lockup that rolls to the outside. Sure. As expected, Christian's "dry-cured veteran" routine matches beautifully with Hardy's "scumbag veteran" shtick. Good match. A long one but very enjoyable.

Britt interview in ring. Good burns here "top of the food chain but I'm off the menu" was great. Britt is basically a face now. Nyla gave a nice response.

4) Wheeler Yuta vs Sammy Guevara. Nice Bane jacket, Wheeler. Crowd is molten for Sammy. Straight into this one. Wheeler is quick, but Sammy can fly. That triplesault was loving great springboard dropkick from Yuta is hot as hell. Jesus, insane air on that frog splash. This match fuuuucks. Not a long match, but both guys shone.

The factory interviewed like high school bullies. Eh. The Golden Shovel, Cody Holes.

5) Penelope Ford vs Yuka Sakazaki. Ayayayayayayaya! Yuka in this match is sparky and shiny and fun, and I'm just waiting for Murder Yuka, because you know she's here too. Penelope has some good savage offense here, using greater size and strength to her advantage. Loved the deadlift suplex, like pulling a tooth. Some close near falls here. Things get a little scruffy towards the end, but beautiful Magical Girl Splash for the win.

6) Ethan Page vs Darby Allin. I'm glad they got a Goth to lead the coffin procession. Darby doesn't just like turtles, he is a turtle. This is predictably an absolute cluster gently caress. Bodies everywhere, outsiders involved, just absolute incredible nonsense. The crowd are ridiculously into this. I want to stress that this is a main event match in front of a live crowd where Darby Allin is fighting Ethan Page. Page has done an insanely good job getting himself over. Fishhook with part of the ring. Two grown rear end men standing in a coffin and punching each other and we're not even IN Ireland. Loads of fun reversals and MOTHER OF gently caress. That was an Ego's Edge onto steel steps. Holy loving christ. Allin wins of course, but holy gently caress this was better than a gimmick match had any right to be.

Ahahaha he coffin dropped a coffin. You amazing stupid little fucker.

This was an awesome show. No bad matches, only one bad segment. Show ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

graph posted:

also i might have heard it wrong but i could tell ethan page got monster heat during that match but was there really a 'gently caress you ethan' chant going? because it made it thru the tv if it did

There was definitely a "gently caress you Ethan" chant. And he fed off it really well.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

and let's remember

LET'S REMEMBER

This is a woman who wrestled one of her first matches on the IWA show where Mick Foley won King Of The Deathmatch.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Matt was fine imo, the "You're the next great wrestling tragedy" line was great.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

look at this dumbass pointing out things that people might want to watch out for.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

I love wrestling :D

:yeah:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Only thing I want from Ricky that they're not giving me (apart from more matches) is Stroke Daddy videos.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

tao of lmao posted:

Apparently the horse story Malakai told Cody was the same story Cody used in a promo against Dustin back at the first All In. Neat callback.

It was also Young Dustin's dead birthday horse.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

A Page / Allin tag team where their finisher is that Page Ego's Edges Allin onto his opponent in a Coffin Drop. They call it 6 Feet Under.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

A Fancy Hat posted:

I misread this and imagined Page chucking guys into midair and Darby Coffin Dropping them at that point. Which sounds like the coolest finisher that would be impossible to actually pull off.

I like your idea better

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Hours have passed and "I once saw a man kill a horse" is still making me giggle.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

BaronVanAwesome posted:

3) I've not seen Yuka Sakazaki before, and while the match was fine, the Magical Girl character seemed like a weird fit style wise? I am ready to let this grow on me

The "Magical Girl" act can be odd the first time you see it. The best way to contextualise it for me is to remember that it is an act. She's trying to be this sweet noisy cute ball of positivity, and 95% of the time she is.

And then 5% of the time a switch gets flipped and things like this happen:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

karmicknight posted:

what about the 15% of the time she is bullying rookies?

Everyone needs a hobby

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Lamuella posted:

The "Magical Girl" act can be odd the first time you see it. The best way to contextualise it for me is to remember that it is an act. She's trying to be this sweet noisy cute ball of positivity, and 95% of the time she is.

And then 5% of the time a switch gets flipped and things like this happen:

Forgot one thing about this gif. Yuka knew that her opponent, Miyu Yamashita, was sensitive about her chin, so she created and trained with a whole new move purely to get that one boot to her jaw.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Miro knows exactly what he's doing and exactly where he's going. Not in a "I wore yellow socks in this video to symbolise the moral cowardice of the Holy Roman Empire" way, but in the way where he knows the Miro character at a bone deep level, he knows where he wants Miro to be, and every step he takes is a natural step towards it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Billy Mitchell was on screen for less time than it took me to write this post.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

Kenny's run from summer 2016 to January 2019 might be the best run for a wrestler I've ever seen, both in terms of match quality and storytelling, and it's worth tracking down for at least the bigger shows. But since someone mentioned Moxley in the G1 a few pages ago, the 2019 G1 Climax is a great place to start if you're the least bit interested. It's post-Kenny/Elite, but the addition of Mox, Shingo, and Kenta to the tournament made the block matches fresher than they've been in years, and every night was a banger. Round-robin tournaments are also a great way to familiarize yourself with the top roster because everyone gets showcased.

I really hope AEW does something like that soon. They absolutely have the wealth of talent for it, and having 2 blocks would easily fill up 6-8 weeks of TV & Youtube booking leading into a PPV.

I'm the hugest sucker for long running tournaments in pro wrestling. Good matches, stats that matter, emergent storytelling. Love all of it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

God bless you, Number.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

A million people watched Wheeler Yuta.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Oh Snapple! posted:

Hearing reports that Dynamite topped out at 2 million for Yuka, but bottomed out at 0 for Yuta

oh the jokes I am avoiding

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I continue to love how the Bucks' commitment to this feud is great enough that they deliberately put out a shithouse vlog this week to show how bad it is without the Dark Order.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Natural 20 posted:

I would bet a large amount of money on Black going over, yes.

Cody puts people over merrily when it's warranted. The idea that he's some sort of reign of terror era HHH level shovel is and always has been absurd.

I think this is broadly true inasmuch as Cody isn't pushing to always be on top, but it does remain the case that out of 40 singles matches in AEW, Cody had only lost four. Much like the Bucks, I think that Cody would probably lose more matches if it were up to him, but Tony Khan wants him protected.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

xbilkis posted:

I am genuinely astonished they put QT back on TV the week after the blissful end of an interminable feud where he never looked good. I was very receptive to heel QT as a character / the Factory as a faction, but the execution was a dud post-turn, and at this point I can’t imagine what you could possibly do with him that would engage an audience

Bluntly: have him feud with someone who isn't Cody. That would increase my interest considerably.

As a secondary thing, have him manage Solow and Comoroto more than he wrestles.

You could probably do a month or so on a feud with, say, Jurassic Express and give everyone something to do. You could get a few fun lower card matches out of that:

Dynamite: Solow and Comoroto vs Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus as a tag
Dark Elevation Solow vs Jungle Boy in a technical / flippy match
Dynamite: DLuchasaurus vs Comoroto in a beefy guy match
Dark Elevation: Marko Stunt vs QT in a comedy match.

That's two weeks of content right there that probably wouldn't bore anyone if done right.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

If we need to name more stars, new Dugnutts just dropped.

https://twitter.com/SB_Duggan/status/1415797092803510272

TED BALLOON

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

State Farm got Smackdown in Atlanta cancelled the fix is in

Like a bad neighbour

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Penguin Patrol posted:

britt baker figure has no makeup so that you can do it yourself

actually, give me a line of small unpainted AEW figurines, i'd be into that

AEW roster as 28mm hard plastic Heroic Scale miniatures. In sprue form so you can choose heads and poses. Along with rules for an AEW TTRPG.

I want to see Pete The Wargamer kitbash a Fire Ant out of an Orange Cassidy figure and Serpentico's head.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

bloodysabbath posted:

If you do the rational thing and drink while watching this poo poo, please know that the All Out arena is in a suburb of Chicago a long drive from the city proper.

We, and many others, found that out the hard way at the first All Out while waiting outside a closed Main Event in the rain until like 3am for an Uber that still was well over $100.

If you have a DD or something, of course, this doesn’t apply to you. Hug them and then keep them in a box for safety until September.

This is why I was so glad they did Revolution 2020 at the Wintrust. 4 minutes walk from a light rail station, walking distance to various hotels and suchlike.

Admittedly on the night of the event there was a death on the tracks somewhere on the L that shut down trains for a while but you can't have everything.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 17, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

karmicknight posted:

Who the gently caress is Shingo Takagi. I'm talking about the only person in wrestling named Takagi that matters to AEW.

Sanshiro Takagi, president of Cyberfight.

There's only one bicycle riding hero of love and peace

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

In fact the only time Kenny and Shingo have shared the same ring was a ddt/dragon gate combined show in 2012 when they were on opposite sides of a tag.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

He's so good. https://twitter.com/KennyOmegamanX/status/1416776867349254146?s=19

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Dark Card:

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1416833536905170947

5, 10, and Blonds vs Acclaimed and Private Party
Ryan Mantell vs The Blade
Promise Braxton vs Abadon
KiLynn King vs Thunder Rosa
Chad Lennex vs Wardlow
Bunny vs Big Swole
Aaron Solow vs Dustin Rhodes (oh god I thought this feud was dead)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Kind of hoping the King / Rosa match ends up like the King / Ryo one a few months back did and they just leather the gently caress out of each other.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

hooooooooooook

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

smarxist posted:

mods asleep, post wide hook

Tired: wide hook
Wired: long Taz

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

So considering they've got a show in Pittsburgh coming up and she keeps getting the pop of the night, should we just take it as read that Britt Baker is a face now?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Very good points. I would say that the difference between a heel and a face version of her character is a matter of direction, a bit like heel and face Rock in 1998-1999 or Jericho and Eddie Kingston in AEW today.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

She is demonstrably not That Bitch and will never be. That position is filled.

Indeed, this disrespect to Missy Elliot will not stand.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

On the one hand, hooray Fuego for being popular enough to be the face of AEW for a charity drive. One the other hand, the Salvation Army are just loving awful in every particular.

https://twitter.com/CulwellCenter/status/1417127513113841666

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

CombineThresher posted:

On the other hand Nyla is cool and powerbombs people through tables, which is also cool.

You could turn Nyla face in one segment (powerbombing Vickie though a table), although to me face Nyla is a bit different to heel Nyla. To work as a big crowd face she's have to bring more of her shitposting energy to her character in ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

explosivo posted:

what the hell was that nemeth segment :stare:

Art. And easily the best thing on the show.

Man, BTEs have been stinkers lately. This week we even had the return of the bullshit nasal fingers gimmick.

The sitcom opening for the AMEN bit was fun, Peter and Leva dubbed was fun. Honk was fun. Everything else was just not great.