Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
CAGE VS STARKS 22 18.33%
CAGE VS HARDY 7 5.83%
PAGE VS DARBY 61 50.83%
THE MAGICAL GIRL VS THE BAD GIRL 11 9.17%
MOX VS KARL 13 10.83%
SAM VS WHEELER 6 5.00%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Hello my name is Cody Holds, they call me the Golden Shovel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Davros1 posted:

Miro's redesign of the TNT Title is in the colors of the Bulgarian Flag

The flag has a big red stripe, so it's not quite Miro enough that he can't lose it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
RE: Andrade, I am REALLY interested to see why Andrade was calling out Death Triangle, especially since 2/3 of them haven't been able to show up. I'm not sure whether I'd be happier seeing him recruit them or fight them.

RE: Malakai, I appreciate that they immediately subverted the cryptic promo in a closet thing by having him come to the ring as soon as Cody called him out, instead of some multi-week "in due time" thing. I also like that they're using both his names.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
All he had to do was buy Yano's DVD

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I've not seen Yuka Sakazaki before, and while the match was fine, the Magical Girl character seemed like a weird fit style wise? I am ready to let this grow on me
Someone please track down the clip of Excalibur explaining the Magical Girl trope to Jim Ross.

StarkRavingMad posted:

They could, this might be the one story in AEW so far that could merit it, but my gut still tells me no. It's weird to say anything is bigger than Hangman right now, but I still think that is. Even Okada never got to do a full kick out of it. Maybe Hangman does what Okada did and gets a foot on the ropes, though.

A full on kick out of the OWA is something Hangman does in like 2024 as the culmination of this being a five-year blood feud.
I'm still in the camp of only ever wanting it to be Ibushi. They've gradually been telling the Golden Lovers story for 10 years. Let them somehow end up in the same promotion again, and let Ibushi kick out again when it really counts instead of that one time way back in DDT before Kenny really perfected the move. It's the perfect bookend to their story. They've never built any context for it to be Page; he doesn't have a connection to the OWA, so it doesn't need to be him.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

The nice thing about not having not watched any meaningful amount of NJPW is that I don’t have any real emotional investment in Kota Ibushi and am therefore ready for Page to kick out of the OWA.
Kenny's run from summer 2016 to January 2019 might be the best run for a wrestler I've ever seen, both in terms of match quality and storytelling, and it's worth tracking down for at least the bigger shows. But since someone mentioned Moxley in the G1 a few pages ago, the 2019 G1 Climax is a great place to start if you're the least bit interested. It's post-Kenny/Elite, but the addition of Mox, Shingo, and Kenta to the tournament made the block matches fresher than they've been in years, and every night was a banger. Round-robin tournaments are also a great way to familiarize yourself with the top roster because everyone gets showcased.

I really hope AEW does something like that soon. They absolutely have the wealth of talent for it, and having 2 blocks would easily fill up 6-8 weeks of TV & Youtube booking leading into a PPV.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

enigmahfc posted:

going after Ricky Starks' FTW belt if they hadn't already do a program against Team Taz
I'd be cool with Team Taz feuding internally over their rogue belt forever, and not having it be an outside thing that anyone can challenge for. Booking a tertiary singles belt seriously is kind of pointless when there are other divisions that could use more attention. If it had some kind of extra stipulation attached to it like hardcore rules done properly, fine, but as of now it's just another singles belt.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, that's pretty much my logic too. I'd even be OK with the Elite screwing Mox out of it. I like Archer a lot, but I don't see much value in having him always talk about finally getting his hands on a title and then choking every time.

enigmahfc posted:

Turn it into the Youtube belt and have it defended on the Darks

Alternatively, make it the Rampage belt.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Someone in the GDT said Big Money Matt is today's Dibiase, and now the Jora Johl thing makes so much more sense: He's got his own Virgil now.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I wonder if Matt's going to mention anything on BTE about his Keith Haring outfit, or if it was just something he found in some weird shop. It seems like the kind of thing someone would wear for Pride Month rather than a random show in July.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

History Comes Inside! posted:

Neither of the Bucks strike me as guys who would recognise that outfit as anything other than “it’s loud and obnoxious, this will be great” to be honest.

Not that that’s a bad thing, not everything needs to be a super secret double coded message with meaning.

Sure, but when it's pretty widely recognizable art from a deceased AIDS awareness icon, it's a bit of an LGBTQ faux pas if he's just wearing it because it's "obnoxious".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

I had no idea those clothes were a thing until it was brought up :shrug:
Yeah, I'm not sure how prominent he was in the UK. But in the 80s/90s, his art was more or less *the* gay village iconography in the US (particularly NYC), especially at the height of the HIV/AIDS epidemic. It's cool to see it on TV, I just wonder how aware Matt is of it.

Vince MechMahon posted:

They should stop trying to do nightmare family break away groups. It's not worked either time.

On the contrary, even more Nightmare Family breakups: Split The Factory into QT/Solow vs Ogogo/Comoroto representing Factory Blue & Factory Black. Then split both of those factions into each individual person calling themselves parts of a factory, like "Conveyor Belt" QT Marshall, "Assembly Line" Aaron Solow, "Packing Department" Anthony Ogogo, and "Distribution Center" Nick Comoroto.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

flatluigi posted:

i didn't know enough about impact to figure out what particularly people were yelling about or if it even was the same thing i thought sounded neat
Someone cool shows up after the title match.

The women's title match is also worth watching. Deonna had an AEW-adjacent mystery opponent.

Eat My Fuc posted:

I want to see Shingo vs Omega
Kenny does too. He tweeted a while back that Shingo's the main guy in NJPW that he really wants to face but never got the chance. It's weird, they were only in NJPW at the same time for like 3 months, and they started Shingo as Jr. Heavyweight, so there was no opportunity for them to clash.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 18, 2021

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

smarxist posted:

"All Ego" Johnny Truant
:hmmyes: Accompanied by his tag team partner Zampanò Sky

DLC Inc posted:

yeah for real the one thing I'd want to have crossover is the women's division, that's Impact's biggest strength and I'd give anything to see people like Jordynne, Deonna, and Kiera on Dynamite
I don't often defend Impact, but one thing I appreciate is something you don't see much in other places. Men's divisions always have a mix of muscular, thin, stocky, fat, young and old, etc. But in most major promotions, every woman is either a traditionally attractive young athletic model, or promoted as a massive hulking beastwoman. Knockouts actually have a realistic spectrum of body types, and that's cool. They just want good wrestlers, not a look or an archetype.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

boxcarhobo posted:

i think aew also does this well now i just want to actually see them on my tv

They're on their way with wrestlers like Abadon and Leyla, but not quite there yet. I'd say 90% are still in the two camps I mentioned. Their only other real outlier is like, Serena being marginally older at 35.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Though to be fair, if anyone actually cared about the accuracy of the division name, Sonny Kiss could absolutely rock a "Divas division".

Has any lucha promotion ever had a belt/division specifically set aside for exoticos?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It is actually a division for unconscious people.

You win the belt by sleeping the best.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Crapple! posted:

We probably are heading towards Britt vs Jade
Where are you getting that? The last time we saw her was a segment where she said she was going to Hollywood because she's bigger than AEW, which definitely means they want her to get more training before she's touring TV ready.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's me, I'm the one who loves Jay White.

I guess nobody post-kayfabe really falls into that old school "pay to see them get beaten up" style of heel for me anymore. For me, there are only heels I like to watch because they're great at being jerks, heels I'd enjoy anyway regardless of alignment, and go-away heat heels that I don't care about because they don't entertain me. It's hard to imagine someone transcending that in modern wrestling. If I don't like a wrestler it's pretty much never because of their character.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I get that. I'm sort of that way about heel Eddie Kingston, but it's mostly because he reminds me of a few people.

Cerebral Bore posted:

May God have mercy on your soul, for it is tainted.
To be fair, that happened way before I was a Jay White fan. :unsmigghh:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

karmicknight posted:

motherfucker beat brian david gilbert to becoming waluigi.
BDG is already Dorian Smiles.

Why don't you join him? :q:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I got a breakfast sandwich at a coffee shop the other day and I was happy that the guy put it in the panini press to warm it up. Then I watched in horror from across the room as he immediately put it in the microwave after that. Zero stars. Worst Bagel of the Year Candidate.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The reason it's not about women is because ALL of them are the wingman, but none of them is the friend everyone's trying to help get laid.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Scarf posted:

I'm pretty excited for the heat between the Blonds and the Acclaimed... best thing to come out of Dark last night
Ehh. I know Max is heeling, but I'm not sure I need to see a wrestling feud where the heels repeatedly try to slut-shame a teenager. It seems lazy and outdated in 2021.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Vince MechMahon posted:

Knowing what we know about AEW and both of the acclaimed they almost certainly cleared it with her and it's almost certainly leading to her humiliating them for it. This is more WWE brain because thanks to poo poo like Piggie James we all assume that the entire point is to embarrass Julia and she'll end up never getting her heat back, but I don't think that's what's happening.
Oh, I'm sure it's cleared and I'm sure they'll get their comeuppance and all that, it's just not the kind of subject matter I enjoy. That has nothing to do with WWE for me.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Which wave of the future guy do you hitch Punk to like they have with every other legend they’ve brought in?
If he's going to wrestle regularly? Darby again. Pull sort of an edgelord version of Evolution with Sting/Punk/Darby representing different eras. Then they can both tag regularly in a way that Sting can't.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

boxcarhobo posted:

i think the article is funny because its so incredibly vague and is just "hey we 'heard' punk is talking to aew from some guy somewhere haha isn't that crazy?" and im pretty sure this same thing happened at the last 2 all outs

I get all my very reliable information from wrassle-newzz.biz

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

enigmahfc posted:

I was not watching wrestling at that time, so I do not care about CM Punk. Should I?
There was a time when he was considered one of those wrestlers who couldn't put on a bad match, and he was great on the mic too. WWE burned him out hard though, which negatively affected his physical and mental health, and he became bitter about it as a result and seemed to basically hate wrestling altogether for a while. If AEW can make him feel passionate about the business again, I feel like that's a good story they can tell with him.

Kunabomber posted:

Serena Deeb comes out to call Punk a fuckin dork and downs a beer with the DO while 10 does rails
Oh poo poo, they have access to Gallows too. SES is back baby.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

Don't get me wrong, I want to see Punk in AEW. But AEW already has an absolutely bloated roster and only two hours of TV time, going up to three.

I think they do a really good job rotating people in and out. Where WWE spends 45 minutes per episode on a single guy every week, AEW has an ebb and flow to who's headlining. Look at last week's show, it was drat near perfect pacing. Add an hour for Rampage to that, and they're doing just fine with the roster they have. Now that they're on the road and have their roster solidified too, they can also give more attention to things that were lacking before, like angles on Dark and more women's matches. I also don't think that Punk and/or Bryan would tip that balance too much; they'd make them pick up wins just like everyone else before they could challenge for belts.

I think the only issue is that some of the divisions have too many contenders in them, but that's part of why everyone's clamoring for Trios titles.

karmicknight posted:

This does check out, yeah.

:frogsiren: Hey, just a reminder that you wanted to name the Dynamite thread after Schiavone's "Fyter Fest 2 Night" flub on Dark.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MJeff posted:

I mean, three of the actual real company EVPs are portraying corrupt heels right now.
Yeah, this isn't a stretch at all. The Elite are EVPs and therefore heel authority figures in the company. Having him come in to clean them out pretty much writes itself.

He's also a great heel, so once the initial popularity of the anti-authority face is done with, just turn him. Or I guess have him go after the face EVPs next.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I still have no idea how the ratings work if Abadon is 11-1 and isn't ranked above Stat or Shida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I really hope they follow up on the Andrade/Death Triangle thing tonight. I'm super curious to see where that goes.

I like the idea that Andrade is going to try to force out Pac, because that means we likely get an Andrade/Pac match. If that happens though, I'm not sure who Pac teams up with for backup.

edit: Actually I could see BBB splitting from HFO and adding The Bastard. That'd be a fun stable.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 22, 2021