Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

CuddleCryptid posted:

It sounds like they are trying to Live Service CoH a bit and that's a batshit idea for this kind of genre. You either end up with a bunch of poorly made maps or new units that have to be added on top of the already shaky house of cards that is the game.

It's always great to put maps and modes in DLC, splitting the already fractured RTS crowd even further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
It's a sure sign this game is going on life support real soon. I have put this game down simply due to being sick of the same 4 maps day after day and how absurdly difficult it is to get a no FOW replay up to see where I hosed up.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 1, 2023

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Dull Fork posted:

From that roadmap post "As outlined in the above list, our focus right now is on improving the overall gameplay experience, rolling out fixes, adding additional quality-of-life features, and bringing new content to Company of Heroes 3. This means some requested items like Replays, Observer Mode or Ranked seasons aren’t on our short-term list for now. "

I read that as 'new content (that you can pay us for) is prioritized over Replays, Observer mode, or Ranked' and that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Also guesses on how long that 4v4 map takes to be released?

I interrupted it as they're adding new content first then the other enhancements next. If they do miss out on fundamental balance improvements and competitive multiplayer enhancements then the game is absolutely a flop.

And it really, really sucks. Poor community engagement. Awful judgement. It's wild that they haven't adapted to the social media era of gaming.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I would have thought they learned their lesson with DOW3 or that CoH MOBA thing that they should stick with what works.

If they were smart, they’d add more maps (even reskinned CoH2 maps,) fix the multiplayer colors and add replays.

What they’ll probably do is add paid battle groups.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

They fixed the multiplayer colors

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

OxMan posted:

Not to worry, the console release of this game will surely revitalize the community, as I'm sure it will use the built in mouse and keyboard hardware level controls built into the playstation since 4 to allow you to play it like every other pc release on console other than war thunder, evil genius 2, and that slytherine bsg game

gently caress my snarky sarcasm, they updated the FAQ and you CAN now use mouse and keyboard on console, so that's a purchase.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I would have thought they learned their lesson with DOW3 or that CoH MOBA thing that they should stick with what works.

If they were smart, they’d add more maps (even reskinned CoH2 maps,) fix the multiplayer colors and add replays.

What they’ll probably do is add paid battle groups.

They can't learn any lessons because everyone leaves in between releases for better pastures. Every game Relic releases is made by a whole new crew of interchangeable, expendable nobodies.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Janissary Hop posted:

They can't learn any lessons because everyone leaves in between releases for better pastures. Every game Relic releases is made by a whole new crew of interchangeable, expendable nobodies.

It would help if they didn't have a five year gap between games, most companies that have long term employees have them work on multiple games as things go through the production cycle.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

CuddleCryptid posted:

It would help if they didn't have a five year gap between games, most companies that have long term employees have them work on multiple games as things go through the production cycle.

They also developed Age of Empires IV, which released a year and a half ago and has gotten a few updates since. I think the biggest thing is that Relic is probably a fraction the size it was when CoH (and probably CoH2) released, before the market for RTSes completely evaporated. I bet they expected to support DoWIII for several years and when it tanked they couldn't really just pivot away as if nothing was wrong

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 2, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I know you're all doom and gloom now but, didn't CoH2 go through this same lifecycle of steady updates and microtransactions despite a rocky launch and lots of "dead game" complaints, and somehow that game managed to keep a community going for like a decade

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

toasterwarrior posted:

I know you're all doom and gloom now but, didn't CoH2 go through this same lifecycle of steady updates and microtransactions despite a rocky launch and lots of "dead game" complaints, and somehow that game managed to keep a community going for like a decade

Yes. The funniest thing is people complaining about "Relic ruining things by going games as a service!" like COH2 was not full of DLC, paid skins and P2W commanders.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

They also developed Age of Empires IV, which released a year and a half ago and has gotten a few updates since. I think the biggest thing is that Relic is probably a fraction the size it was when CoH (and probably CoH2) released, before the market for RTSes completely evaporated. I bet they expected to support DoWIII for several years and when it tanked they couldn't really just pivot away as if nothing was wrong

The RTS market never evaporated, it’s always been niche, but predictable. The problem is when you turn it into a bad MOBA when every MOBA game that isn’t called LOL or Dota2 has one foot in the grave.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Imo if they somehow manage to turn it around players will come back simply because there is nothing else. Barely any rts in general and the specific niche coh fills specifically.

Currently not playing it either tho since too many other games but also having to relearn a faction and memorizing the changes after every patch is tiring, also no maps.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
I initially refunded immediately when it was apparent this should have been labeled EARLY ACCESS.

But I re-brought because I do think they can turn it around like they did with COH2 and don't want to see it shitcanned, though to be honest I haven't really enjoyed anything that's come out of Relic for awhile now.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How do I get past mid-game as DAK? I feel like I'm able to get the Stug G but then my find myself wanting to back to tech to AT guns or a 2nd MG-34? What am I doing wrong?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

How do I get past mid-game as DAK? I feel like I'm able to get the Stug G but then my find myself wanting to back to tech to AT guns or a 2nd MG-34? What am I doing wrong?

What are you struggling against? Infantry AT?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

What are you struggling against? Infantry AT?

I feel like Brit/American infantry is just so goddamn strong? Unless I'm attacking with all my units in a blob, I'm losing all the other smaller battles.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I feel like Brit/American infantry is just so goddamn strong? Unless I'm attacking with all my units in a blob, I'm losing all the other smaller battles.

The Stug is more of a light AT/HMG smasher than an infantry fighter. The Rad8 is a lot better for taking on infantry. You do need to play around their AT units to make sure it doesn't get mulched, but against normal infantry it'll wreck them.

That's assuming that it's a small encounter, if it's blob vs blob then yeah you need to have harder defenses with suppression set up. It's not a bad idea to use HMGs to cap points rather than making more rifles so that you can more economically set up defenses.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

With the 8RAD, how do I scale that into late game? For 1v1s, what commander/faction are picking?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Edit - Double Post.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

With the 8RAD, how do I scale that into late game? For 1v1s, what commander/faction are picking?

DAK 8 RAD late game revolves around it being combo'd with Marders. Two BGs are viable. 1st is to pick armored doctrine for 30% boost in hull or coax MG efficiency. This will allow 8 RAD to shred elite infantry even faster. They will have to spam AT guns to not get overrun since neither infantry nor tanks can 8RAD and Marders. If they do spam AT guns to back up their infantry, you have assault grens and your combo is more mobile though the skill floor is higher. If they try to bumrush you with tanks, use your 8RAD vet 1 ability to put out the accuracy and ROF and LOS aura and watch your Marders go to work. Late game provides P4 leader with another vehicle aura and loiter. Your opening will be kinda rough till you do get online though. If you want an easier opening use Italian BGs for Bersa early game. 8Rad not as good and will probably have to kite more vs elite AT infantry like AB zooks, SF, and Foot Guards. In return you get an easier early game and you get Pact of Steel for a 30% discount on both the 8Rad and the Marder.

If they are seriously blobbing infantry, get a StuG. Even after the nerf its front armor is still very good against infantry AT and its gun is almost guaranteed 1 infantry kill per shot. More if the models clump. Massacre mode if you catch them blobbed up. Skill floor is high for the faction though. You mess up any one part of the combo and lose say one or two Marders, they can insta rush you with vehicles. If you oopsies your 8 Rads into AT guns, their infantry will rush forward and Marder's can't stop them.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Okay, now I get what I am doing wrong. I've been going with Italian Combined Arms. Bersaglieri while quick seem to be weak and don't scale into late game at all. I suspect that MG Coaxial really improves the 8RAD.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Okay, now I get what I am doing wrong. I've been going with Italian Combined Arms. Bersaglieri while quick seem to be weak and don't scale into late game at all.

They do, just stick to their command tree upgrades, with extra man and the LMGs. They're basically slightly worse Riflemen who blob a little better (rifles beat them at the very closest range, but have to get through disadvantaged mid-range in blob wars).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Here's my take on some DAK units. Maybe you can comment and tell me what I am doing wrong or right. I think this faction is interesting but really hard to play.

1. Panzergrenadiers

- Expensive but your basic infantry. They kind of dish out some damage but are generally outclassed. Scales into late game with upgrades but still generally kind of squishy. AT Grenades and Grenades generally effective. The MG-34 Upgrade is expensive and doesn't seem worth while. Aura bonuses provide a noticeable edge especially late game.

2. Panzerjager Mechanized Group

I want to like this unit but I feel like while useful early game it just doesn't scale into late game but the thing is it's again the only infantry units that damage vehicles so I just have to make one. I feel like the tear gas canister ability doesn't do anything at all, the MG-34 upgrade isn't really worth it either.

3. Assault Grenadier Squad

- Close Quarters Infantry that I want to use but I feel like they're always still outclassed by Rifleman Bars or and Infantry Section with an upgrade of any kind. Their veterancy bonuses are interesting but often I feel as if I just use them as a tanking infantry unit to soak up damage. Smoke grenades are useful but the other ability has such a long start up it's almost always dodged.

4. 8-Rad Armored Car

- Basic armored car. Mobile but paper thin armor. Strong against infantry with the battlegroup upgrades but really poor against any tank even with other upgrades which seems odd. Commander ability super useful giving you amazing line of sight.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 11, 2023

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/CompanyOfHeroes/status/1659604900077092864?s=20

Upcoming patch, my summary.

1. Loitering Nerfs.
2. Improved Game Audio.
3. New maps planned; but limited.
4. Zoom Depth to be increased.

Nothing super deep. I don't know why they'd focus on this over something like a game reply feature or overall faction balance. Maybe Relic doesn't intend to fundamentally change the game and this is it?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

https://twitter.com/CompanyOfHeroes/status/1659604900077092864?s=20

Upcoming patch, my summary.

1. Loitering Nerfs.
2. Improved Game Audio.
3. New maps planned; but limited.
4. Zoom Depth to be increased.

Nothing super deep. I don't know why they'd focus on this over something like a game reply feature or overall faction balance. Maybe Relic doesn't intend to fundamentally change the game and this is it?

It could be that they have a skeleton crew left on this project since staff was diverted to make the console release happen and this is what they could do in the meantime. Or this is because this is a DoW 3 situation and they have a bunch of interns working on the game and the plug will be pulled soon.

Depends on how cynical you want to be.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I don't get it either. The thing is I really like the CoH series and I have incredibly fond memories of the first game and I love how units are in groups with cover.

If things don't improve over the summer I think it's safe to call it dead.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Well this probably won't help matters. From google 121 is just over a quarter of their workforce.

https://twitter.com/relicgames/status/1661060864651452416

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 23, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

CoH3 sold relatively well, I would guess they made their money back on it. I've seen 24 million in sales being thrown around which is respectable for an RTS.

However I wouldn't be surprised if they took the negative reaction and figured that it wasn't really worth doing a lot of DLC or whatever for the game. The absolute vitriol that came down on something that was, let's be real, not that bad probably was a wet blanket.

That being said, people get let go at the end of projects all the time. If you aren't already working on another game then having people sitting on their hands isn't financially viable. So if they are just going to keep the game as is and rebalance it til it works then this isn't a death knell.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 23, 2023

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
As I suspected, the plug is getting pulled. I expect a small team to continue and finish what they have protoyped and then axe meaningful support by next year.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

As someone who works in technology for a living what they'll likely do is just turn the game in the maintenance mode. Basically, minimal patching only fixes for bugs, exploits, compatibility, etc.

Really sad it has come to this but if the core of the game is complete I could see them letting go some people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Det_no posted:

Yes. The funniest thing is people complaining about "Relic ruining things by going games as a service!" like COH2 was not full of DLC, paid skins and P2W commanders.

Yeah that was a big part of why I didn't like coh 2 and coh 3 in the beta seemed just like a further progression in that direction gameplay wise, I don't see why anyone would expect the metagame elements to be anything different either.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I must be the only person the world that liked COH 2. Is any able to explain why it flopped? The blizzard mechanic was kind of dumb but I don't get the rest of the other complaints.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

it didnt flop lol

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Last time I checked, CoH 2 had more concurrent players than 3, which is never a great sign for the next entry in the series.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I must be the only person the world that liked COH 2. Is any able to explain why it flopped? The blizzard mechanic was kind of dumb but I don't get the rest of the other complaints.

As a huge fan of CoH1 I was disappointed by COH2 at launch because it felt like it didn't really do anything different enough to be CoH2, more like a CoH1.5.

The BIG NEW FEATURE they hung their hat on was the blizzard mechanic, which was, quite stupid for multiplayer. They learned pretty quick and then removed it almost entirely. But comparing CoH2 vs CoH3, at least CoH2 did indeed look better than CoH1, even if it didn't feel like a huge leap.

Then CoH3 comes out and its like CoH2.10

Honestly I think they would have been very successfully if they literally just made a big rear end expansion for CoH2 with the total war overworld map campaign. Instead they rebuilt the RTS part of the game and made it worse.

Nowadays CoH2 is pretty awesome, tons of maps, mods, multiplayer is balanced (ish).

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Seems like the concensus is that if you loved 1, 2 felt slow and slightly off, while 3 immediately feels good. And if you loved 2, 3 feels slightly off in turn.

Personally while putting over 1000 hours into coh 1 I never got into coh 2. Pc at the time couldn't run it and then when it could people were saying how buggy and bad it was. maybe it's time to go back to it, seeing as 3 is now dead man walking.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like 1 and still go back to play it, felt like 2 was a strict downgrade, and that 3 is just... more of 2, both visually and mechanically, which is why I played a little bit of the beta and then wrote off the game.

I don't at all see what makes people compare it to 1, I just don't see any callbacks to it at all. It very, very strongly communicates to me that it's a further evolution of 2 and has all the things I don't like about the feel of playing 2. Compared to 1 it feels much more... cartoony? Not just visually with tanks still firing loving fireballs at each other, but in the sense that it reminds me of playing games like warcraft, where there is far less of the sense of units projecting control over the space around them and you're just mashing models into each other. Cover seems far less effective, weapons seem far more rock paper scissors based rather than that being secondary to positioning, vehicles don't seem to have the same kind of depth of simulation and thought in how they take damage, suppression does not seem consistent.

I can't back it up with numbers because I don't know any of that poo poo but the game just doesn't feel right, the way 2 never felt right. I feel frustration and like I can't properly understand what to expect from any of the units in ways I never had issues with in 1. It feels like things are decided by weird statistical elements that are not effectively communicated or consistent across units and so I cannot predict the outcome of any engagement.

The AI seems more advanced, but in the sense that it plays like a multiplayer game, which I don't want because if I wanted that I would just play multiplayer? It just produces a very annoying game where the AI leverages its ability to see and control the entire map at once to drain player attention, by focusing heavily on avoiding direct attacks in favour of small deployments on the flanks to take out resources, which is obviously a good way to win but I don't want to play a game of whack a mole and that's precisely why I'm not playing multiplayer, I think it fundamentally doesn't understand the appeal of a singleplayer experience and focuses too heavily on training people to enter into some pointless competitive multiplayer element so they can flog overpriced cosmetic crap to them, which is exactly what 2 was all about.

I had the same complaint with iron harvest, which is a real shame because it looked super good otherwise, but it again feels a lot like playing off brand coh 2 in how everything handles.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 25, 2023

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

My memory of Company of Heroes 2 is that it went through a LOT of phases. It began with only 4 factions? Tons of different weird bonus options or leaders that you unlocked by completing weird achievements?
Then they added more factions and the vehicles still had full crush and the Ober Kommando West could rush their starting vans that were meant for tech buildings. Even if you didnt get crush on you could force units out of cover in first engagements. They had to make that van take like 2 bullets to destroy for the entire game to avoid that kind of abuse.

Game kept having support, even early on when competitve support seemed almost non-existent. All of this happened even before they changed the unlock and currency system after their later DLCs. CoH2 was a completely different game 3 years after release than it was at release. Same is true 6 years after.

I think comparing CoH3 to CoH2 really needs context. CoH2 in what year??

e: VVV thank you

PosSibley fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

Coh2 had only soviets and ostheer at launch.