Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah they should and it should specifically be whatever system I have at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, this is how you say "I've never developed for a console before."

I really respect how much you know about Linux; hell you've helped me out, but, to be blunt, you are really out of your depth here.

Look, consoles have RAM that reads and writes AT THE SAME SPEED.Sorry for yelling, but anyone who writes low level engine code for consoles knows why this is super important.

There's no difference in latency in unified RAM consoles. You can change RAM requirements PER RENDER FRAME which allows for some pretty cool optimization tricks that a PC simply can't do. Game ports to PC have to be mindful that RAM and Video RAM are generally two very different things with different access timing and the game engine has to be modified accordingly.

e:unified RAM is actually one of the main reasons the SteamDeck is so flexible. It's very impressive how Proton is juggling a bunch of render calls in a very low voltage hardware platform.

ok mr super nintendo

e: The cool tricks you're talking about are what modern game development is doing away with for better or for worse.

Vic fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 24, 2024

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Papercut posted:

Nah, electrical bus bars have been a thing/term since the 1800s. It's short for omnibus.

And the reason why computers use the "bus" term is because in the beginning it was literally a shared electrical bus (or, rather, e.g. 16 separate address buses and 8 separate data buses) that everything was connected to simultaneously and high and low voltages signified one and zero bits.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Oop, missed this. This is true*, and I can see how a nifty trick like that can be helpful, but I really really doubt that every console game is doing this trick. I do agree with the fundamental point that targeting a specific system comes with optimizations that are not transferable across PC/Consoles. Like I don't think console ports are just a "one and done in and out ten minute adventure", at the same time I do think that a) porting to/from consoles is massively easier than it was because of shared hardware pipelines and tech, and b) a well-implemented (i.e. the devs have the time, money and care to do it right) 5th gen game should absolutely be able to hit 30 FPS on a 4th gen console with the right adjustments and accounting for increased limitations (smaller render distance, less fidelity models, etc.). I realised just now I was like mixing those two things together in my argument, so I'm sorry about that.

* — I do want to specifically ask to check however that the unified ram isn't being conflated with well-timed/unified(?) read/write? Like IIRC the Steam Deck and also my T945 both have unified RAM but from memory the timings for read are different from write speed?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

alexandriao posted:

with the right adjustments and accounting for increased limitations (smaller render distance, less fidelity models, etc.).

This is a big undertaking in and of itself. You're talking about rebuilding assets to be simpler. That's not a trivial task. In a lot of ways you're fundamentally re-making the game.

Yeah, it can be done. Some absolutely wonderful insane people made a N64 version of Portal just to show that they could. But it's not as simple as cranking a bunch of sliders all the way to the left.

I also think you're really underestimating how much generational change there is between consoles. Just to start with, the PS4 has half the RAM that the PS5 does. You can degrade the graphics and the models all you want, but eventually you just run up against hard limitations. IIRC system RAM was the specific thing that made the PS4 version of Cyberpunk so notoriously poo poo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why do consoles always have do little ram. Good ram seems so cheap. And yeah I guess if you plan to ship at least 50 million units cutting on RAM saves a hell of a lot over the long run. But just gimme the ram

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The PS4 specifically had its RAM bumped up from initial specs before announcement because they found out the Xbox One was going to have 8gb if I remember right. Remember that was still the era of 3-4gb VRAM GPUs.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My kids is 16 GB as a base and I was going to upgrade it to 32 but then I saw how incredibly cheap RAM was so I bumped it to 64

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The PS4’s 8GB of GDDR5 had an estimated BOM cost around $90, which is about a quarter of the total BOM. Adding a meaningful amount to it would hurt a lot, given that they were making about $20/unit (just on manufacturing, so ex of marketing or the actual R&D costs) at launch.

For comparison, the Titan that shipped in 2013 had 6GB of GDDR5, with an MSRP of $999.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

*doesnt read anything from the walls of text from the last few pages*

*takes a huge rip from my decks vent*

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

John DiFool posted:

Crank That starts playing

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

John DiFool posted:

*Wildly gesticulates towards the above post*

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I once bombed an interview question by not knowing the slightest about how console caching of arrays was optimized, and how it was critical to leverage that optimization versus more complex data structures typically found when developing for PC hardware. The company in question had just performed a port that required a ton of tricks to do just that.

Anyways yea I don't think it's lazy devs pushing a sloppy release but ymmv

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I bombed the same question which was weird because I was interviewing for county comptroller

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Subjunctive posted:

The PS4’s 8GB of GDDR5 had an estimated BOM cost around $90, which is about a quarter of the total BOM. Adding a meaningful amount to it would hurt a lot, given that they were making about $20/unit (just on manufacturing, so ex of marketing or the actual R&D costs) at launch.

For comparison, the Titan that shipped in 2013 had 6GB of GDDR5, with an MSRP of $999.

god drat the ps4 had some really weird hardware. a good gpu paired with an insane ram setup, but also the weakest cpu known to man and a 5400rpm hard drive. :psyduck:

the PS5 being an all around beast was great. too bad AAA gaming started to loving suuuuuuuuuuck around then.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 25, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The hard drive was still something that made sense at the time, SSDs wouldn't become cheap enough for a while yet. The only reason Nintendo weren't using them was because they'd decided on SD cards as their expandable storage format so were using eMMC for internal storage instead. Also the Wii U still played games off discs so it wasn't as big a deal. Unless you were buying digital games at which point that 32gb filled up quick but big SD cards were getting real cheap real quick so I just slammed a 128gb card in mine and never thought about it again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John DiFool posted:

This

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

John DiFool posted:

Ironically I've been very actively following the thread recently whereas I normally just smooth-scroll by.

Atoramos posted:

I once bombed an interview question by not knowing the slightest about how console caching of arrays was optimized, and how it was critical to leverage that optimization versus more complex data structures typically found when developing for PC hardware. The company in question had just performed a port that required a ton of tricks to do just that.

Anyways yea I don't think it's lazy devs pushing a sloppy release but ymmv

I also tend to ask interview questions about whatever thing I was just (or am about to start) working on.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Atoramos posted:

we talking about L1 / L2 cache?
With arrays you're guaranteed for data to be contiguous in RAM. base address + (size of data type * index of element) = address of nth element - so a CPU is able to pre-fetch several elements of the array at once. The only thing faster is register to register operations.
This is compared to using a linked list where "Crap we have a memory address... is it in cache? Ram? Paged out to disk? who knows? Let's just burn cycles figuring it out..."

Anyway this sounds like a computer architecture question on stuff from ~30 years ago.

e: not a game dev, not sure what would warrant that kind of optimization that couldn't be done on the GPU instead.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I also think you're really underestimating how much generational change there is between consoles. Just to start with, the PS4 has half the RAM that the PS5 does. You can degrade the graphics and the models all you want, but eventually you just run up against hard limitations. IIRC system RAM was the specific thing that made the PS4 version of Cyberpunk so notoriously poo poo.

PS5 games are meant to be constantly streaming/decompressing from SSD storage, "If it's not on screen it's not in RAM". Assets are constantly being evicted effectively making RAM just another form of cache. Which means a game isn't as constrained as a PS4 game where there's a physical drive head that zips around a platter.

PS4 -> PS5 is more like "Storage was the last bottleneck. You need to rethink how EVERYTHING works if you want to produce AAA games."
there's a reason why Epic acquired RAD game tools and their compression suite.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 25, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dragon's Dogma 2 is basically only playable on GFN's ultimate tier. And it runs really well on that! (cities a bit less well)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

Dragon's Dogma 2 is basically only playable on GFN's ultimate tier. And it runs really well on that! (cities a bit less well)

https://youtu.be/twEERkUyAXE?si=I2Z1TqTwwfHfXXjl

The TLDW a GPU test had to be turned into a CPU test because the game is doing some real weird poo poo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

https://youtu.be/twEERkUyAXE?si=I2Z1TqTwwfHfXXjl

The TLDW a GPU test had to be turned into a CPU test because the game is doing some real weird poo poo.

They also had to buy 4 copies because of Denuvo bullshit, lol.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Coffee Jones posted:

there's a reason why Epic acquired RAD game tools and their compression suite.

I think Epic (and a lot of other engine players) have wanted to acquire RAD for a long time, but RAD insisted on staying independent until recently. I should ask around about why they changed their mind...

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just realised the OLED case is actually two cases in one and you can just use the super skinny internal case if you're packing light.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Necrothatcher posted:

Just realised the OLED case is actually two cases in one and you can just use the super skinny internal case if you're packing light.

yeah I only travel with the skinny case.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Animal posted:

yeah I only travel with the skinny case.

same, it’s so good

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Only the 1tb model comes with the nice case. I was a little disappointed because they also added a hold for the plug so you could charge it in the case.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Ah such cruel punishments for early adopters

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
charging in the case sounds like a good way to fry your system

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Necrothatcher posted:

Only for the more expensive tiers lol. My cheapo OLED came with a fat case but I got a thin one on Amazon that works well.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fools Infinite posted:

Only the 1tb model comes with the nice case. I was a little disappointed because they also added a hold for the plug so you could charge it in the case.

They did? I have the 1 Tb and never noticed this.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

this switch case vs the old steam deck case. One is meant to be wrapped in cardboard and be dropkicked by fedex, and one slips into the front pockets of a backpack

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Automata 10 Pack posted:

charging in the case sounds like a good way to fry your system

Yeah if you leave it turned on like some kind of moron instead of switching it off like a sensible person would.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Coffee Jones posted:

this switch case vs the old steam deck case. One is meant to be wrapped in cardboard and be dropkicked by fedex, and one slips into the front pockets of a backpack

Gotta say I love that they made the Deck case as robust as it is. I am a lot, lot less worried about it when going through airports and the like. Got to cram your carry on under a front seat? XRay tech tossing around luggage like they're training for a contact sport? Don't need to worry about the deck getting mushed.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Coffee Jones posted:

what does your tablet case have to do with anything?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Latest game reports: I plugged through Sniper 3 and 4. Good looking games, even the now ancient Sniper 3, and both play flawlessly on the Deck. Got Mad Max super cheap and it also plays well, with maybe some rare slowdowns. Enjoying it a lot, although I can maybe understand why it didn't do well - they made a definite decision towards a simple straightforward game, without a huge repertoire of moves and inventory. It works in my opinion, but might have been out of step with the market. It does capture the flavour of Mad Max quite well.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Gotta say I love that they made the Deck case as robust as it is. I am a lot, lot less worried about it when going through airports and the like. Got to cram your carry on under a front seat? XRay tech tossing around luggage like they're training for a contact sport? Don't need to worry about the deck getting mushed.

I do appreciate it for flights, but I find myself wishing I had an official slipcase version for when I'm just taking local transit

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Cross-posting from the grognard games thread, the conversation there around Silent Hunter 3 got me wondering...Does it Deck?

Squiggle posted:

This talk sent me down a road last night, and you know what? Still working on the control scheme, but Silent Hunter 3 works surprisingly well on the Deck. The out-the-box 1024x768 doesn't even look that wrong.

Just need to figure out modding next. Also caveat, I am not cool enough to be doing manual torpedo calculations.

EDIT, if you're curious:
Scopes: L4/L5 on the back are Shift and Ctrl. I use R4/R5 to raise/lower the periscopes: the attack periscope normally, or - while holding L4 - the observation scope. Possibly a waste of two buttons but for now it's fun.
Telegraph: The left trackpad is a radial touch menu with all of the telegraph notches, Full Stop at 12 o'clock, forward notches on the right and reverse notches on the left.
Dive controls: Long-holds of the right-stick (so I don't accidentally flick them) in cardinal directions for: Surface (up), Dive (down), Hold Level (right), and Periscope depth (left). Double-pushing the right stick Crash Dives.
Stations: Select button is the nav map. Press left stick for the command room, long-press for the bridge; press right stick for attack periscope, long-press for the UZO. May swap the UZO out for the observation scope, depending on how often it turns out I need to quick-jump to the either - but at least the UZO has a sidebar shortcut, unlike the observation periscope.

Trying to decide how badly I need quick cuts to the other stations, or if mousing around is enough. LMB is right trigger, RMB is left trigger, and for now the scroll up/down is on LB/RB. May do a mode-shift scrollwheel on the left pad instead.
Also not sure what to do with the tube/torp commands yet, but they'll likely go on the face buttons.

It was near bedtime so all I really did was tool around shallow seas, so it could all fall apart in the thick of it. But I enjoy making control bindings for weird poo poo, so I'll keep at it and publish it when it's ready.

PSA: If you make bindings, publish them for others! Steam input modability loving rules and is extremely powerful! I swear, it's the best underutilized thing about the deck.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 27, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

They did? I have the 1 Tb and never noticed this.

I checked the case and there’s no hole YOU LIAR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
I'm the one who said it did, I saw it on a YouTube review. I bought the 512gb and do not have the two part case.