Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Been thinking about buying a sling bag. I looked at a few on Amazon but can't figure out which one to go with. Anyone got any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I'd suggest one with goku or maybe a cool dragon on it

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

It should have a pocket for Pokémon/MtG cards

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I'd suggest one with goku or maybe a cool dragon on it

Wouldn't want to drown in pussy. A black bag is fine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I bought one of the slim cases from Tomtoc and it kicks rear end. Way less bulky than the one the Deck comes with.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Been thinking about buying a sling bag. I looked at a few on Amazon but can't figure out which one to go with. Anyone got any suggestions?

Yeah you can get 4 of them from Shien for the price of one on Amazon.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

jokes posted:

Wouldn't want to drown in pussy.

No problem with that as I already own a Steam Deck.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Rolo posted:

Only for the more expensive tiers lol. My cheapo OLED came with a fat case but I got a thin one on Amazon that works well.

Got a link for that Amazon case?

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Squiggle posted:

Cross-posting from the grognard games thread, the conversation there around Silent Hunter 3 got me wondering...Does it Deck?

It was near bedtime so all I really did was tool around shallow seas, so it could all fall apart in the thick of it. But I enjoy making control bindings for weird poo poo, so I'll keep at it and publish it when it's ready.

PSA: If you make bindings, publish them for others! Steam input modability loving rules and is extremely powerful! I swear, it's the best underutilized thing about the deck.

I hadn’t even thought about playing Silent Hunter on deck but that could be fun - not that it was ever about fun, it was a super serious submarine simulation. I have a bit of a thing for submarine movies which is why I bought it way back when but drat it was a tough game to enjoy.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Squiggle posted:

Cross-posting from the grognard games thread, the conversation there around Silent Hunter 3 got me wondering...Does it Deck?

It was near bedtime so all I really did was tool around shallow seas, so it could all fall apart in the thick of it. But I enjoy making control bindings for weird poo poo, so I'll keep at it and publish it when it's ready.

PSA: If you make bindings, publish them for others! Steam input modability loving rules and is extremely powerful! I swear, it's the best underutilized thing about the deck.

That sounds great! When it comes to mods, is there one to make it so you don't have to put your crew to bed like little babies?

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is an overkill suggestion that satisfied my boomer gaming preferences:

I picked up a Rothco Tactical Single Sling Pack With Laser Cut MOLLE. That's the manufacturer link, Google results show stores offering it a bit cheaper.

This size/loaded weight of this pack basically sends me all the way around the horn, back to bringing a gaming laptop with me, but in a scalable, modular way where I can use it handheld, or docked with some->all accessories if there's something for me to hook up to. In the main compartment, I had a local cushion place cut a piece of foam to keep everything in place. The Deck goes in there, inside its OEM case, with enough room to pack a full-size MS Bluetooth keyboard, an XBox controller, and a wireless mouse. The two front pockets hold my power adapter, power bank, one of those little JSAUX stands, a little dock, and the various cables. Yes, this is ridiculous.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Jinkeez posted:

This is an overkill suggestion that satisfied my boomer gaming preferences:

I picked up a Rothco Tactical Single Sling Pack With Laser Cut MOLLE. That's the manufacturer link, Google results show stores offering it a bit cheaper.

This size/loaded weight of this pack basically sends me all the way around the horn, back to bringing a gaming laptop with me, but in a scalable, modular way where I can use it handheld, or docked with some->all accessories if there's something for me to hook up to. In the main compartment, I had a local cushion place cut a piece of foam to keep everything in place. The Deck goes in there, inside its OEM case, with enough room to pack a full-size MS Bluetooth keyboard, an XBox controller, and a wireless mouse. The two front pockets hold my power adapter, power bank, one of those little JSAUX stands, a little dock, and the various cables. Yes, this is ridiculous.

Jesus Christ. "Overthrow the government? Why, no, I'm just prepared for some portable pc gaming!"

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Jesus Christ. "Overthrow the government? Why, no, I'm just prepared for some portable pc gaming!"

Every time I pass through Canadian customs, they swab my deck for drugs. They don't bother swabbing my switch. I'm not joking.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I understand from those border patrol shows that most people smuggling drugs keep them around their deck so that makes sense.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The vent smell is scaring the dogs

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

I initially got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B2QRVPGL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's nice and the strap is padded and comfy, though the main pockets are all internal so you need to open it up to get to your accessories if that matters to you. There's a little "secret" zippered sleeve on the back of it that can hold some thinner stuff, probably a wallet or whatever. One weird thing about this one is that it has a strap with a hard plastic buckle to hold the Deck in place. Because the Deck goes into the case face-down, you need to buckle that strap behind the Deck (or leave it unbuckled), otherwise your screen will rest on it during transport and maybe get scratched. Adds a couple seconds to your packing up but otherwise not bad. You can also just cut it off--the deck doesn't like rattle around or whatever if you don't use it. The shell where your deck rests is felt-lined and soft.

A year later I got this popular Tomtoc bag for my Legion Go, but it works just as well for a Deck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09ZYFV1GD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like that it has internal zippered pouches, and external zippered pouch, and a removable felt-lined divider shaped to a Deck/Ally/LeGo. The strap is less comfortable than above but otherwise this is my favorite one and my main handheld bag.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Every time I pass through Canadian customs, they swab my deck for drugs. They don't bother swabbing my switch. I'm not joking.

good, all steam deck users especially americans should be put through secondary every time

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Sir are you under the influence of any deck fumes right now

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

*hurridly sniffing all the fumes from my deck in the airport toilet*

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Twobirds posted:

Probably didn't help that I was taking deep whiffs from the vent while standing in line.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phetz posted:

I initially got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B2QRVPGL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's nice and the strap is padded and comfy, though the main pockets are all internal so you need to open it up to get to your accessories if that matters to you. There's a little "secret" zippered sleeve on the back of it that can hold some thinner stuff, probably a wallet or whatever. One weird thing about this one is that it has a strap with a hard plastic buckle to hold the Deck in place. Because the Deck goes into the case face-down, you need to buckle that strap behind the Deck (or leave it unbuckled), otherwise your screen will rest on it during transport and maybe get scratched. Adds a couple seconds to your packing up but otherwise not bad. You can also just cut it off--the deck doesn't like rattle around or whatever if you don't use it. The shell where your deck rests is felt-lined and soft.

A year later I got this popular Tomtoc bag for my Legion Go, but it works just as well for a Deck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09ZYFV1GD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like that it has internal zippered pouches, and external zippered pouch, and a removable felt-lined divider shaped to a Deck/Ally/LeGo. The strap is less comfortable than above but otherwise this is my favorite one and my main handheld bag.

The Tomtoc one looks bulkier than I want, but I think I’ll order it. Thanks.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Dramicus posted:

Probably didn't help that I was taking deep whiffs from the vent while standing in line.
If you do that at Singapore customs, they will confiscate your deck and fine you 2.000 SGP:
"Sir, I don't care that it can play video games, I clearly saw you inhale from the port of your oversized vaporizer and under the tobacco act it is illegal to possess such devices. Hand it over....also I am going to need your steam password for investigative reasons."

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Lol

PC Gamer posted:

So, looks like Putin's ordered the Russian government to 'consider the issue of organising' domestic versions of the Steam Deck, SteamOS, and Steam itself (with a side order of Steam Machines)

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, I would have probably made that order too.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
What about the Steam Link and Steam Controller though?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Strategic Steamdeck Supply of Russia (SSSR)

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

If they do the Pootdeck and Pootmachine in Soviet industrial design, I’ll buy two

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Edit: nvm

SilkyP fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 29, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Twobirds posted:

*eye twitch while constantly sniffing and fidgeting* What, no. I'm fine. Hey, you guys ever play Cultic? Vam....vampire survivors? Huh? Good stuff. Good good stuff.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Holocure dev's new game is out, a 2D beat 'em up that's pretty rad and also free (Kay Yu let me give you money for gently caress sake). Works perfect on Deck if you set it to Proton experimental.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2719150/Holo_X_Break/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The zipper is starting to go on my steam deck case and I'm out of warranty. I messaged valve support anyway just to see, but they said the same thing adding in "currently, we do not sell the Steam deck carrying case".

Goons, what are my best options here with regards to getting a 3rd party case?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Might also be worth prowling eBay for a Steam case.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The zipper is starting to go on my steam deck case and I'm out of warranty. I messaged valve support anyway just to see, but they said the same thing adding in "currently, we do not sell the Steam deck carrying case".

Goons, what are my best options here with regards to getting a 3rd party case?

https://www.amazon.com/tomtoc-Compa...aps%2C71&sr=8-6

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Crap, I should have specified, I'm in :canada:

Edit: I just looked up the jsaux one on amazon.ca, and holy gently caress, that looks nice.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 30, 2024

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Bestbuy sells a mean hardcase with room to spare

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

njsykora posted:

The Holocure dev's new game is out, a 2D beat 'em up that's pretty rad and also free (Kay Yu let me give you money for gently caress sake). Works perfect on Deck if you set it to Proton experimental.

I was gonna quote this for later 'cause that dev seems quite competent then I realized I could just add it to my library from this web browser.

Never got into the Steam ecosystem before the Deck, but man do they make things convenient.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

njsykora posted:

This is great, but I am hoping for an update adding checkpoint saves. As of right now, you have to finish the game in one go and that takes at least 90 minutes, if not more. If you quit back to the title, you start from scratch. It also really feels made more for co-op as opposed to just solo runs.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

DRINK ME posted:

I hadn’t even thought about playing Silent Hunter on deck but that could be fun - not that it was ever about fun, it was a super serious submarine simulation. I have a bit of a thing for submarine movies which is why I bought it way back when but drat it was a tough game to enjoy.

You know, the best surprise is that I get 8 hours of batter life playing it without touching the energy settings. As for the controls...

I think I'm all done with a surprisingly effective, complete control scheme! I'm really pleased with how it turned out:

It makes ample use of touchpad menus, long-presses, and double-presses to include as many commands as I could, and I tried to group them together sensibly: long-pressing the Dive command will Crash Dive instead, LP-ing the Fire Deck Gun button becomes Fire Torpedo (plus long-pushing the torp button feels right anyway), etc. Even included a light gyro mouse, which comes in really handy for locking onto distant, small targets with the periscopes. Pushing, long-pushing, and double-pushing means I could put three stations/screens on each of the sticks, select, and menu buttons.

I sent it out to the community layouts, called "SH3 Command Deck v2"; I'm not sure how long that takes to show but if you've got a Silent Hunter III itch, give it a try and let me know if I'm missing anything glaring. Anything that's not bound should be accessibly by mouse or talking to your officers.

Shart Carbuncle posted:

That sounds great! When it comes to mods, is there one to make it so you don't have to put your crew to bed like little babies?

There's a third party app called SH3 Commander that does this! You can turn off the management entirely, about which I saw someone say "thats what I have officers for." I agree! Especially on the Deck with the trickier mouse controls. I need to figure out how to run it in the right context with Protontricks next. Will report.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 30, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

This is great, but I am hoping for an update adding checkpoint saves. As of right now, you have to finish the game in one go and that takes at least 90 minutes, if not more. If you quit back to the title, you start from scratch. It also really feels made more for co-op as opposed to just solo runs.

I think this is gonna happen, a few of the Hololive girls who've been streaming it have said they want this. I haven't felt like it's specifically built for co-op though, it feels more managable solo than a lot of beat 'em ups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Squiggle posted:

You know, the best surprise is that I get 8 hours of batter life playing it without touching the energy settings. As for the controls...

I think I'm all done with a surprisingly effective, complete control scheme! I'm really pleased with how it turned out:

It makes ample use of touchpad menus, long-presses, and double-presses to include as many commands as I could, and I tried to group them together sensibly: long-pressing the Dive command will Crash Dive instead, LP-ing the Fire Deck Gun button becomes Fire Torpedo (plus long-pushing the torp button feels right anyway), etc. Even included a light gyro mouse, which comes in really handy for locking onto distant, small targets with the periscopes. Pushing, long-pushing, and double-pushing means I could put three stations/screens on each of the sticks, select, and menu buttons.

I sent it out to the community layouts, called "SH3 Command Deck v2"; I'm not sure how long that takes to show but if you've got a Silent Hunter III itch, give it a try and let me know if I'm missing anything glaring. Anything that's not bound should be accessibly by mouse or talking to your officers.

There's a third party app called SH3 Commander that does this! You can turn off the management entirely, about which I saw someone say "thats what I have officers for." I agree! Especially on the Deck with the trickier mouse controls. I need to figure out how to run it in the right context with Protontricks next. Will report.

Hey just wanted to say thank you for this. I'm going through some health problems right now so I got a Steam Deck and was looking for something like this to play, and my deck is arriving Tuesday i cant wait to boot this up!! Made my day