Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

TwoDeer posted:

Went ahead and loaded chiaki4deck so I could remote play Bloodborne and it really feels the best way to play that game — a lot of its technical limitations and the remote play limitations don’t really hinder the experience… regular PS4 so limited to 720p streaming and Bloodborne runs at (mostly) 30fps. Been having enough fun that I went ahead and grabbed a 3month ps+ basic or whatever it is called for co-op. The Deck even makes other consoles better.

Did the same thing this weekend, played some Bloodbourne and started playing a round or two of Helldivers 2 before bed. Haven’t had any issues even with my PS5 on WiFi outside of some very minor stuttering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kvlt! posted:

good lord you people are dicks i was just trying to say the problem was fixed and explain it idk much about tech stuff ill go flagellate myself accordingly

they’re just having fun, nobody thinks you are a moron

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That being said the deck has really good thermals and cooling so anything extra isn’t needed.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

MarcusSA posted:

That being said the deck has really good thermals and cooling so anything extra isn’t needed.

I'm kind of laughing at the fan drawing enough power that it force the TDP down, which probably did more to cool it than whatever cheap fan they put in a case for a handheld.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m surprised that the Deck will supply enough power over USB that it can actually affect the power available to the APU materially, tbqh

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I’m surprised that the Deck will supply enough power over USB that it can actually affect the power available to the APU materially, tbqh

I really don’t think it should unless the case fam thing is doing some weird poo poo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if the total power budget in a deck is pretty tightly dialed in. It's not really a platform that's designed for powering peripherals, so there's no real need to have a ton of overhead to account for that.

Fans can also be surprisingly power intensive. A basic 80mm case fan is ~2-3W. Max TDP for the deck is 15W and some random googling is saying that the total system power budget might only be ~30 Watts (finding a hard number is pretty difficult). Even so, if we assume total system power of ballpark 30W (which would make sense if it can charge and power at the same time with a 45W power supply) your standard basic case fan would be ~10% of that total.

So, yeah, I'm placing my bet on a pretty tightly built machine that doesn't have a ton of overhead to begin with and a 3rd party case manufacturer who isn't exactly splurging on the finest of low power use fans.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

It comes up a lot but you don’t want your Steam Deck to remotely turn on while inside of your bag. Not being able to turn on remotely is a safety feature.

I thought the OLED deck can be turned on by controllers now. But is that only while docked?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cyrano4747 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the total power budget in a deck is pretty tightly dialed in. It's not really a platform that's designed for powering peripherals, so there's no real need to have a ton of overhead to account for that.

Yeah, I figured they’d limit power draw via the USB-C, but I guess they want to be able to power an external SSD or similar so they have to let a few watts through.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

HDR streaming is working with Moonlight/Sunshine. There is a later, fixed AppImage from the main Moonlight dev which you can get a cached copy of here: https://pixeldrain.com/u/WzmnctMT

You'll need to install an AppImage launcher for the Deck: https://www.gamesinhand.com/post/how-to-install-appimages-on-steam-deck-for-game-mode.

After adding it to the Steam Library rename the entry for the AppImage to "Moonlight" and MoonDeckBuddy will call it as needed, no problems. Delete or rename your existing, Discovery or Flatpak Moonlight first if you want to keep it around as a (non-HDR) backup.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I figured they’d limit power draw via the USB-C, but I guess they want to be able to power an external SSD or similar so they have to let a few watts through.

Honestly their solution of letting you do whatever but scaling back the TDP seems the best compromise. You're not going to have people getting weird errors with peripherals if they're not getting enough power, but you're also not just locking people out of turning their deck into a docked desktop if that's what they want to do.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

tuyop posted:

I thought the OLED deck can be turned on by controllers now. But is that only while docked?

Someone else said they were able to a few posts up, so I guess it changed without me knowing. :shrug:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Cyrano4747 posted:

Fans can also be surprisingly power intensive. A basic 80mm case fan is ~2-3W. Max TDP for the deck is 15W and some random googling is saying that the total system power budget might only be ~30 Watts (finding a hard number is pretty difficult). Even so, if we assume total system power of ballpark 30W (which would make sense if it can charge and power at the same time with a 45W power supply) your standard basic case fan would be ~10% of that total.

So, yeah, I'm placing my bet on a pretty tightly built machine that doesn't have a ton of overhead to begin with and a 3rd party case manufacturer who isn't exactly splurging on the finest of low power use fans.

I've found my performance (while docked) in certain games (swbf2 (modern), helldivers, battleblit) goes down (>20 fps difference) unless i underclock the GPU. I'm pretty sure this is because when it flips in the fan it also starts throttling everything else

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

alexandriao posted:

I've found my performance (while docked) in certain games (swbf2 (modern), helldivers, battleblit) goes down (>20 fps difference) unless i underclock the GPU. I'm pretty sure this is because when it flips in the fan it also starts throttling everything else

This should not be the case.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
You playing Helldivers 2 on Deck? Does it not run like rear end?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Has anyone gotten the Classic Resident Evil Rebirth stuff to run on their Deck? I got 3 running but I can't seem to get the controls to play nice. Wonering if anyone has any experience.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I wouldn’t say rear end but it’s mostly 30fps

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I'd like to play Helldivers 2 on Deck and every time one of those charts comes out with weekly/monthly "most played" data on, it looks like tons of people are.

But looking around online it's hard to find a good word to say about it. Even 30fps isn't locked, right? And especially not at higher difficulties?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Minotaurus Rex posted:

30-40 fps. runs decent and the only stutters ive had are during some loading screens where it doesn't matter.

it helps if you actually read the graphics settings descriptions because e.g. the community recommended deck settings at the moment use the one graphics setting which the description explicitly says uses more graphics memory than the deck has lmao

MarcusSA posted:

lol tell me about it. i was reminded that underclocking was working back when we had the firmware update that wiped that setting — "why are these games stuttery and why am i getting such a low fps on them" to "huhhh ok well fine"

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 11, 2024

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Oh gently caress I started playing Noita and I'm in love.

The font is a bit too small but there's a ini file that can change the scale of it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I've experienced this in some games. VVVVVV comes to mind, where when docked it picked up the monitors info and tried to play at 4k.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm replaying stardew after it got patched. Goddamn that game is good. Games like this and Diablo likes with progression really hit for me. I know those are wildly different genres but if anybody has any more recs, I'd take them.

It is however really hard to play stardew on deck after playing it on my 4k tv. You can see the whole level of the mines and most of my farm. The difference is huge lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’ve been playing it a lot lately too. I don’t mind the change up. Been playing it between my PC, Steam Deck, and MacBook. Switching between them is a minor annoyance because I gotta readjust the game zoom and UI size each time. But hey, I’m glad that they thought to let me adjust the UI at all. Probably the biggest gripe when switching to PC gaming is realizing how many developers don’t even consider that someone might want to play their games a few feet away from a tv and not haunched over a monitor.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Party Boat posted:

Are you getting the jpeg error? Just download the dll from this link and drop it into the game's install folder, overwriting the existing file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15u0a_E_keUzQIGC5v2dSiIMwOu6HZVqJ/view?pli=1

Not sure, it was an error that came up *after* the intro played. I had used a guide on the steam forums to apply a fix patch to the game that got me in the door but it collapsed after the opening sequence.

Anyway in frustration I deleted the game off my deck, maybe I'll try again at some point. Or I'll just wait for the remakes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If anyone was in the market for a dock this is a decent deal.

SABRENT 6-Port Docking Station for Steam Deck - 95W PD, HDMI 4K, USB-A/C Ports [DS-SD6P] $19.99 after promo code 201MKNJS

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTJYY8M...mdeck+dock&th=1

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Heran Bago posted:

Oh gently caress I started playing Noita and I'm in love.

The font is a bit too small but there's a ini file that can change the scale of it.

noita on deck (or with a controller in general) seems impossible and i'm not sure how people do it. i'm bad enough at that game with k+m

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

noita on deck (or with a controller in general) seems impossible and i'm not sure how people do it. i'm bad enough at that game with k+m

Yeah I gave it a good shot but gave up on it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zamujasa posted:

Same the controllers (once you get a gun) are insane.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Today's much anticipated major update for the System Shock remake is as advertised in terms of Deck improvements.

Digital Foundry I ain't, but from memory of my first play through at launch it certainly feels significantly better to me in terms of general performance. The controls are also really good now too - it just feels like any other immersive sim/slower paced FPS on a console, and inventory management is as simple as using the D-Pad for your quick bar or Select to pop your more detailed inventory open.

This is now an extremely easy recommend on Steam Deck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bumhead posted:

Today's much anticipated major update for the System Shock remake is as advertised in terms of Deck improvements.

Digital Foundry I ain't, but from memory of my first play through at launch it certainly feels significantly better to me in terms of general performance. The controls are also really good now too - it just feels like any other immersive sim/slower paced FPS on a console, and inventory management is as simple as using the D-Pad for your quick bar or Select to pop your more detailed inventory open.

This is now an extremely easy recommend on Steam Deck.

Thanks! I was kinda waiting for someone to post some impressions.

Its nice and cheap right now too.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

alexandriao posted:

30-40 fps. runs decent and the only stutters ive had are during some loading screens where it doesn't matter.

it helps if you actually read the graphics settings descriptions because e.g. the community recommended deck settings at the moment use the one graphics setting which the description explicitly says uses more graphics memory than the deck has lmao

lol tell me about it. i was reminded that underclocking was working back when we had the firmware update that wiped that setting — "why are these games stuttery and why am i getting such a low fps on them" to "huhhh ok well fine"

What graphics settings do you use cause I'm pretty sure I have everything on low and I get 20 fps on missions with other players.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Good to know about System Shock. I grabbed it last year but never made any progress because it just didn't run all that well.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

v1ld posted:

HDR streaming is working with Moonlight/Sunshine. There is a later, fixed AppImage from the main Moonlight dev which you can get a cached copy of here: https://pixeldrain.com/u/WzmnctMT

You'll need to install an AppImage launcher for the Deck: https://www.gamesinhand.com/post/how-to-install-appimages-on-steam-deck-for-game-mode.

After adding it to the Steam Library rename the entry for the AppImage to "Moonlight" and MoonDeckBuddy will call it as needed, no problems. Delete or rename your existing, Discovery or Flatpak Moonlight first if you want to keep it around as a (non-HDR) backup.

Can I use this without Moondeckbuddy?

I prefer just using moonlight in desktop and opening anything I want, whether it's connected to steam or not

e: yeah works fine, thank ya

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 12, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Barreft posted:

Can I use this without Moondeckbuddy?

I prefer just using moonlight in desktop and opening anything I want, whether it's connected to steam or not

Yeah, it’s just Moonlight.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I pulled the trigger on System Shock Remake. I’m a few minutes into the game and I keep getting stuck in place. As in my character can’t walk. I reloaded and it happened again. What’s going on?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I pulled the trigger on System Shock Remake. I’m a few minutes into the game and I keep getting stuck in place. As in my character can’t walk. I reloaded and it happened again. What’s going on?

Clicking on the left thumb stick puts you into lean mode. Click it again and you'll move normally.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 12, 2024

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Tagichatn posted:

What graphics settings do you use cause I'm pretty sure I have everything on low and I get 20 fps on missions with other players.

I render to 1080p because the upscaling looks like rear end and these settings get me about 38-40 fps when plugged in, sometimes during loading it dips into the 20s, and the fog around the planet looks like rear end but ingame everything works fine and well

Make sure to bios set your gpu to 4GB, I also underclock the GPU by 20 whateverunits

Display:
Render Scale: Quality
Framerate limit: On
Framerate limit: 40 FPS

Graphics Preset: Custom
Motion Blur: 0
Depth of Field: Off
Bloom: Off
(i dont care for these post processing details anyway)
Sharpness: 0.25
Texture Quality: LOW (3GB - next step up is Medium but that'd take more GPU than the deck has)
Object Detail Quality: LOW
Render Distance: LOW
Shadow Quality: LOW (not VERY LOW)
Particle Quality: LOWEST
Reflection Quality: LOWEST
Space Quality: LOW
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Screen-space bullshit: Off
Vegetation: LOW
Terrain: LOW
Volumetric Fog: LOW
Volumetric Clouds: LOW
Lighting Quality: LOW
Anti-Aliasing: OFF (I tried it on but it uses the temporal stuff that makes everything look like rear end)
Use Async: OFF

And like, some of the loading screens look like rear end but the actual in-game still looks gorgeous:

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 12, 2024

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

tango alpha delta posted:

Clicking on the left thumb stick puts you into lean mode. Click it again and you'll move normally.

Lean mode? My character doesn’t abuse drugs.

(That did it, thanks.)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

And thinking about it you could probably bump those settings up if you're playing on 1280x800 while plugged in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

alexandriao posted:

I render to 1080p because the upscaling looks like rear end and these settings get me about 38-40 fps when plugged in, sometimes during loading it dips into the 20s, and the fog around the planet looks like rear end but ingame everything works fine and well

Make sure to bios set your gpu to 4GB, I also underclock the GPU by 20 whateverunits

Display:
Render Scale: Quality
Framerate limit: On
Framerate limit: 40 FPS

Graphics Preset: Custom
Motion Blur: 0
Depth of Field: Off
Bloom: Off
(i dont care for these post processing details anyway)
Sharpness: 0.25
Texture Quality: LOW (3GB - next step up is Medium but that'd take more GPU than the deck has)
Object Detail Quality: LOW
Render Distance: LOW
Shadow Quality: LOW (not VERY LOW)
Particle Quality: LOWEST
Reflection Quality: LOWEST
Space Quality: LOW
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Screen-space bullshit: Off
Vegetation: LOW
Terrain: LOW
Volumetric Fog: LOW
Volumetric Clouds: LOW
Lighting Quality: LOW
Anti-Aliasing: OFF (I tried it on but it uses the temporal stuff that makes everything look like rear end)
Use Async: OFF

And like, some of the loading screens look like rear end but the actual in-game still looks gorgeous:

This might genuinely push me towards buying it.

Super fluffy question but I assume you're pretty happy with it all at these settings?