Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

alexandriao posted:

I render to 1080p because the upscaling looks like rear end and these settings get me about 38-40 fps when plugged in, sometimes during loading it dips into the 20s, and the fog around the planet looks like rear end but ingame everything works fine and well

Make sure to bios set your gpu to 4GB, I also underclock the GPU by 20 whateverunits

Display:
Render Scale: Quality
Framerate limit: On
Framerate limit: 40 FPS

Graphics Preset: Custom
Motion Blur: 0
Depth of Field: Off
Bloom: Off
(i dont care for these post processing details anyway)
Sharpness: 0.25
Texture Quality: LOW (3GB - next step up is Medium but that'd take more GPU than the deck has)
Object Detail Quality: LOW
Render Distance: LOW
Shadow Quality: LOW (not VERY LOW)
Particle Quality: LOWEST
Reflection Quality: LOWEST
Space Quality: LOW
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Screen-space bullshit: Off
Vegetation: LOW
Terrain: LOW
Volumetric Fog: LOW
Volumetric Clouds: LOW
Lighting Quality: LOW
Anti-Aliasing: OFF (I tried it on but it uses the temporal stuff that makes everything look like rear end)
Use Async: OFF

And like, some of the loading screens look like rear end but the actual in-game still looks gorgeous:

Saving for later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Detective No. 27 posted:

I pulled the trigger on System Shock Remake. I’m a few minutes into the game and I keep getting stuck in place. As in my character can’t walk. I reloaded and it happened again. What’s going on?

Enjoy, it's a really great time. I loved the updated visuals. It pushed me to play SS2 on my deck immediately after, another incredible game.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

alexandriao posted:

I render to 1080p because the upscaling looks like rear end and these settings get me about 38-40 fps when plugged in, sometimes during loading it dips into the 20s, and the fog around the planet looks like rear end but ingame everything works fine and well

I'll give it a try, thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The deck has the same performance plugged in or on battery. The TDP stays the same across the board.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Bumhead posted:

This might genuinely push me towards buying it.

Super fluffy question but I assume you're pretty happy with it all at these settings?

Yeah! Bearing in mind I've only gone up to HARD in terms of difficulty, it might get more antsy during the harder missions but im Not There yet in terms of gameplay lmao, and that's why I have everything left on LOW anyway. Like I could crank one or two of those options up and it would look much nicer, but I want a buffer of ~10 frames so that if there are drops it shouldn't ideally go below 30 when I'm playing.

I'd be happier if they allowed me to switch to non-volumetric fog for the pod drop renders because sometimes those look like complete rear end. Like staring at this screen on load is not great:

but despite that it lasts like 10 - 15 seconds anyway, and the pod drops can still look pretty good now and then:

I also wish they'd allow me to turn on an old-school anti-AA option because just like 2X or 4X would easily make this shot a lot nicer around the edges:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like it breaks my heart that the only AA they have is Temporal Anti-Aliasing because it literally only makes everything look Blurry And Weird. There's absolutely no benefit to running it even with a high powered computer.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

https://fixupx.com/Wario64/status/1778607554559434871

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I played some System Shock and it really does feel way better. That said:

The tutorial bits are way too small, I couldn't find a way to make them bigger.

It wouldn't let me type in the first door code, but a reboot of the game fixed that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I ticked the wrong box in Steam Rom Manager and inadvertently added 5000 XBLA games to my Steam library.

Oops.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Necrothatcher posted:

I ticked the wrong box in Steam Rom Manager and inadvertently added 5000 XBLA games to my Steam library.

Oops.

Redoing it without the option will remove them

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vic posted:

Redoing it without the option will remove them

Thanks! Glad I stopped it before it downloaded the art for them all.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
is there an easy recommended way to get Fallout New Vegas working with mods on the Deck? I tried to no avail a year ago, but that Ultimate edition on Fantacal looks worth doing it for.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hadji murad posted:

is there an easy recommended way to get Fallout New Vegas working with mods on the Deck? I tried to no avail a year ago, but that Ultimate edition on Fantacal looks worth doing it for.

I don’t know of a good guide but the process involves using Mod Organizer 2 to build up your mod set on a PC and then moving the folders to a Mod Organizer 2 setup on the Steam Deck. Works fine.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

hadji murad posted:

I managed to get it going last year but apparently recent versions of the Steam OS make Mod Organizer 2 not work. If anyone here's managed to get around that I'd love to hear how.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FireWorksWell posted:

I managed to get it going last year but apparently recent versions of the Steam OS make Mod Organizer 2 not work. If anyone here's managed to get around that I'd love to hear how.

I played through heavily modded Fallout 3 in December so it would have to be more recent than that

This is the version I used:

https://github.com/rockerbacon/modorganizer2-linux-installer

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Tiny Timbs posted:

I played through heavily modded Fallout 3 in December so it would have to be more recent than that

This is the version I used:

https://github.com/rockerbacon/modorganizer2-linux-installer

Yeah, I used that too, my issue was that when testing Utilities I kept getting "another instance of MO2 is already running" whenever I'd try launching

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone have good settings for system shock remake on steam deck?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I got a bunch of mods working for Skyrim, but I honestly don't remember what I did. I had to follow a step by step guide and there's some shortcut on desktop mode I have to click every time I add or remove a mod (I assume to re-do the deployment).

Needless to say I haven't changed my mod setup since I did it.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Thanks. Figure I'll give it a shot.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

did they ever relax and make mod packs for skyrim or is it still like you have to do it all a la carte and hunt for compatibility patches, in order to respect the modders in some way properly crediting them wouldn't

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Anyone have the Key the Elden ring performance on the DECK?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Off the top of my head everything on medium and just lock it to 30fps.

You might be able to use high textures at 30.

The game runs above 30 but it’s not a stable 40 so imo it’s a much smoother experience at 30.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah, I used that too, my issue was that when testing Utilities I kept getting "another instance of MO2 is already running" whenever I'd try launching

Same. You have to use the option in the MO2 launcher list to open the game directory and run the launcher exe from there one time. Then you should be able to run the NVSE or TTW entry from MO2 without that error.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Tiny Timbs posted:

Same. You have to use the option in the MO2 launcher list to open the game directory and run the launcher exe from there one time. Then you should be able to run the NVSE or TTW entry from MO2 without that error.

I'll give this a shot tomorrow, thanks!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Elden Ring ran decent but the experience was much better via moonlight if you have that option.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Tiny Timbs posted:

This worked, but now it just exits out after the first screen lol

Thanks anyway!

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 14, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FireWorksWell posted:

This worked, but now it just exits out after the first screen lol

Thanks anyway!

Ok yeah crashing after the splash screen is a mod issue. This is why I don’t use mod packs because then it’s impossible to troubleshoot

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Tiny Timbs posted:

Ok yeah crashing after the splash screen is a mod issue. This is why I don’t use mod packs because then it’s impossible to troubleshoot

Yeah, it was a breeze the last time I followed VNV for the deck, too much of a headache to deal with now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What are some good Outrun style racers, where you're pretty much on a focused sprint to the finish? I've been replaying Outrun 2 for the PSP and Super Hang On and Road Rash for the Megadrive for some reason despite them being really held back by their age, so I guess I'm in the mood for that kind of thing right now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Retrowave may scratch that itch

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1239690/Retrowave/

also steel racer

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2312380/Steel_Racer/

Both are on my wishlist for having that outrun vibe

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 14, 2024

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What are some good Outrun style racers, where you're pretty much on a focused sprint to the finish? I've been replaying Outrun 2 for the PSP and Super Hang On and Road Rash for the Megadrive for some reason despite them being really held back by their age, so I guess I'm in the mood for that kind of thing right now.

Horizon Chase Turbo. There's a sequel that's (currently?) Epic exclusive too, but the original is pretty solid.

The Hot Wheels Unleashed games are pretty fun racers, though less of the Outrun style, more just generally arcade-y.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Slipstream.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/732810/Slipstream/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Has anyone managed to get mods working on the System Shock remake on Steam Deck? I'm adding .pak files to the right folder but the game keeps crashing on startup.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I didn’t want to start Persona 3 Reload until I finished Infinite Wealth. Well, that paid off because I finished IW last night and started Reload. I remember hearing it had issues at launch but it looks and runs super well now on Deck.

Also I guess I have some super rare eye disorder where super vivid colors, usually red, pop out on screens. It’s very apparent on the P3R menus and in the dungeons of Stardew Valley. It’s like the 3D effect in a 3DS. Does anyone else have that?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cheers gang, I'll check some of those out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I didn’t want to start Persona 3 Reload until I finished Infinite Wealth. Well, that paid off because I finished IW last night and started Reload. I remember hearing it had issues at launch but it looks and runs super well now on Deck.

Also I guess I have some super rare eye disorder where super vivid colors, usually red, pop out on screens. It’s very apparent on the P3R menus and in the dungeons of Stardew Valley. It’s like the 3D effect in a 3DS. Does anyone else have that?

I'm pretty sure you can dial in RGB on the steam Saturation menu. You could do it on the Vibrancy plugin that was around before it got built into SteamOS

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's a natural part of how our eyes work! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromostereopsis

I've only really noticed it when using a VR headset - if it's annoying on the deck you might want to tone the colour settings down a bit

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Party Boat posted:

It's a natural part of how our eyes work! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromostereopsis

I've only really noticed it when using a VR headset - if it's annoying on the deck you might want to tone the colour settings down a bit

Huh, well that’s really cool. I don’t think it’s annoying at all, kind of a bonus really

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ray traced Witcher 3 with HDR looks great and plays so well with Moonlight streaming to the OLED Deck that I now want to use the Deck to stream it to the OLED tv @ 4K. What are some good HDMI 2.0/DisplayPort docks for the Deck?

- 4K @ 60Hz is a must so either HDMI 2.0+ or DisplayPort.
- Not aware of any dock that support VRR - this would be a great feature to have though.
- Extra USB-C is nice, esp if there's DisplayPort Alt Mode support.
- Ethernet isn't a must, but if it's there then GbE would be good. No dropped frames or bad latency streaming through a WiFi 6 base station - it's super smooth running @ 80 fps for TW3.

Any other must-have features?

- JSAUX's 7-in-1 has DP and HDMI 2.0. They have a 6-in-1 which is half the price without the DP port.
- MarcusSA pointed out the SABRENT 6-Port Docking Station for Steam Deck. Has HDMI 2.0, USB C port with DP Alt Mode support which is neat.

Any other docks worth looking at?

E: KIWIHOME 7-in-1 with 4K@60Hz HDMI / 4K@120Hz DP is just $39.99 with instant coupon for both HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.4 outputs, usable together if you want multi-monitor. Solid brushed metal build too, from reviews that compare it favorably to Valve's dock. One unique feature: a button that disables HDMI out, forcing on the Deck's internal display if you want to use that while running the Dock on your Desktop with M&KB for e.g.

E2: IAVKYU 7-in-1 with HDMI/DP is pretty much the same as above for $7 more, but has a much better placed and longer USB C cable to connect to the Deck. No need for the USB C extension cable I was looking at for the KIWIHOME.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

v1ld posted:

Not aware of any dock that support VRR - this would be a great feature to have though.
I thought Valve's dock supported this?

v1ld posted:

Extra USB-C is nice, esp if there's DisplayPort Alt Mode support.
I was under the impression that DP Alt-Mode requires a physical-layer connection and can't be used over a hub transport. With newer hubs you should be able to get 4K@60 on two alt-mode lanes and USB SuperSpeed on the two others, but the actual USB-C ports on the hub can only be used for USB.