Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KakerMix posted:

The loss they make now can turn into crazy profits later because Steam = $$$$$ so every dollar they can spend to even get someone LOOKING in that direction is good for them because they are where you buy games on PC. They aren't even a little threatened by Epic based on how they handle themselves, they are by Microsoft (or were) and the Deck is probably just someone going "hey PC people are buying the Switch why don't we sell them something else instead of a Nintendo?"
The reason Valve can do this very classic investment strategy is because they are privately held. Long ago this is what companies did all the time, invest in the long term. Now however everyone is desperate for short term gains because of the way stock and CEO and shareholder poo poo works so nobody invests for the long term anymore. Valve doesn't have to justify it's actions to anyone but themselves. It's why Half-Life Alyx absolutely lost a gently caress ton of money on paper but Valve doesn't give a poo poo because they wanted to make it, maybe sell some Indexes or just push VR forward in the direction they think it should. Like they've done with shooters and digital store fronts already.

I didn't know that Steam was privately held still.

I never looked into it but I just assumed that they had an IPO or something once I started seeing shovel-ware and crazy skins on the platform. Very glad to hear it's still a private company.

Anyways yeah I never had plans to buy any of the current crop of consoles. I still have a switch but I rarely use it (I just buy Nintendo consoles for Zelda at this point lol).

If the Steam Deck is good, when I start traveling again for work all the time I'll definitely consider getting one over a gaming laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

I wonder where Steam thinks it's going to make up the loss in the pricing. They don't have a subscription service like GamePass or even PSN or Xbox Live to get users to make up the difference in the long run.
They're definitely playing a long game with this. They need to, too, since Microsoft keeps buying up studios. Valve realizes they eventually have to pivot into the console/handheld/something other than Windows PC space to have long-term stability.

Soul Glo posted:

Just about everyone buying this thing already has a deep Steam library, so I would assume the increased software sales won't make a huge contribution to their coffers.
I don't know that that's necessarily true. You already have people posting in this thread about how they've just created a Steam account for this, or they've reactivated an account that's been defunct for years. I think it has broader appeal than PC gamers who already primarily use Steam.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Can you imagine Microsoft making something like the Steam Deck?

The Game Gear but with the TV tuner built right in!!!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

KakerMix posted:

They’re all in on GamePass but I can see them doing a cheap streaming-only home console/HDMI stick in the future.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KakerMix posted:

TBH Microsoft can be pretty unpredictable.

The company is huge and I get the sense that many of their departments have no idea what they're doing.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Not that I put much stock into interviews, but Gabe said the idea was not so much to be profitable on the device as it was to create/popularize the device category, with the hope that other manufacturers get into the game. PC gaming is good for Valve, so if they can get people to look for and buy a device like this instead of a switch or phone games they come out a winner in the long term.

That is absolutely a lie, because there are several manufacturers already producing pc-based handhelds and this is going to destroy all of them

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, that's what I was getting at with my earlier posts. Valve is claiming that they want to foster an ecosystem of handhelds while simultaneously making it impossible to compete with them due to their extremely aggressive pricing that's only possible due to them being the platform owner. Honestly, they need to be careful not to end up with an antitrust lawsuit on their hands.

Literally every single person I know who had a pending preorder for those other devices has canceled them so they can get a steam deck instead. So pour one out for that burgeoning scene that Valve just crushed.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 18, 2021

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The nice thing about this thing is that it means the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters not having been announced for Switch doesn’t matter, since I can get them on Steam and they’ll be on this thing.

My switch doesn’t work in portable mode anymore due to cat pee causing some issues, so I was going to get the OLED model until this was announced. No point getting a new switch when I can spend the extra money for this thing, which will probably run games better than my five year old laptop anyway.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

My Switch hasn't been peed on, but I was thinking of getting the OLED model. I have a launch Switch and I was thinking of replacing it last year when I started playing it in portable mode more and wanted to get the new model with the better battery. The OLED one was pushing me to replacing it, but the Steam Deck has changed my mind. Especially if it's good enough to emulate more recent games.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

I wonder where Steam thinks it's going to make up the loss in the pricing. They don't have a subscription service like GamePass or even PSN or Xbox Live to get users to make up the difference in the long run. Just about everyone buying this thing already has a deep Steam library, so I would assume the increased software sales won't make a huge contribution to their coffers.

There are going to be a lot of people buying this thing that aren't traditional PC gamers because the form factor is extremely appealing. While I don't expect it to cut into Switch sales, there has got to be a ton of console gamers out there who are aware of Steam sales but are intimidated by/don't have the space for a desktop. The promise of a handheld console that just works and lets you access those cheap PC games is going to appeal to a whole new segment of consumers. That's what Valve obviously believes anyway, and I'm sure they've done their research.

I can see devs shipping games with preset 'Steam Deck' settings also to appeal to this crowd, who don't want to fiddle with graphics options etc. If you can buy a game and it detects you're running a Deck, automatically applies the GFX settings to get 60fps at native resolution, you never have to worry about all those intimidating technical things and can just play your games. That would be pretty cool.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 18, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

flavor.flv posted:

That is absolutely a lie, because there are several manufacturers already producing pc-based handhelds and this is going to destroy all of them

They exist, but they're about as far from mass-market devices as things get; by the time you've heard of them you're already deep in ubernerdery. Valve wants it to go mainstream. Or so they say.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Veotax posted:

The OLED one was pushing me to replacing it, but the Steam Deck has changed my mind.
Why not both?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

If the Deck gets good performance/reliability reviews I might grab a cheaper one. Most games I play are lower spec/smallish install size anyways. Guess I'll check back in 6 months.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

flavor.flv posted:

Whatever happened with the Alienware switch?

I saw that in person at CES 2020 right before the world ended (probably got Corona also)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Veotax posted:

My Switch hasn't been peed on, but I was thinking of getting the OLED model. I have a launch Switch and I was thinking of replacing it last year when I started playing it in portable mode more and wanted to get the new model with the better battery. The OLED one was pushing me to replacing it, but the Steam Deck has changed my mind. Especially if it's good enough to emulate more recent games.

If you do sell your launch Switch make sure to sell it as "unpatched" so thirsty pirates :airquote: homebrewers :airquote: will give you lots of money for it

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Is the Steam Deck really so much more expensive to manufacture than the Switch? I don't see why people are reading Gabe's painful quote as "we're losing money on these" rather than "I wish we were only selling the 512Gb model because 64Gb is too small and had a better battery, but sacrifices had to be made to reach the price point."

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Is the Steam Deck really so much more expensive to manufacture than the Switch?
Yes, it is. Look at how much more expensive the Aya Neo is.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
The switch has like a 7 year old Tegra in it. The deck is running on the newest AMD architecture and there's a chip shortage. They are definitely losing money on these right now and probably for a couple years.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've actively avoided interacting with Steam for most of my life (not a fan of monopolies, even historically benevolent [as far as such things go] ones) and I spent multiple hours regaining access to my account so I could reserve a Gabe Gear.

Part of it is that I just like hackin' on stuff (Switches included), but part of it is that I like the idea of computer games but I just do not play games while at my computer. Couldn't even tell ya why, but I just never feel the inclination. If the same game is on the couch streamed via moonlight I might plink away at it, but if it's a game I have within reach and can insta-pause then you bet I'm gonna bust it out during work calls or when I just don't feel like getting out of bed, possibly 'cause it's the middle of the night and I'm awake for some reason.

If this can pull off instant-on, instant-off gaming like they claim it will, I and those like me are gonna be playin' a lot more games.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That is skewed by the Aya Neos production volume being in the thousands, and Steam Decks projected volume being in the millions though. Valve has a huge lead on economy of scale.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

A kickstarter has nowhere near the market power and connections to buy and manufacture at scale the way Steam does. Aya Neo costs 789 for 512 which steam is selling for $649. That seems like a difference that can be made up by partnering with AMD, not including windows, and being willing to break even rather than trying to make a profit. Keep in mind Valve breaking even on production cost still doesn't include design and marketing costs, they can absorb peripheral costs in a way a startup can't.

I do think the 64Gb is being sold at a loss, but the other two seem like price points they could reach with the scale and manufacturing partnerships they have access to.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
OK, so you all agree that the $399 price point for the 64 GB model is at least the cost to manufacture, which makes it significantly more expensive than the Switch.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

OK, so you all agree that the $399 price point for the 64 GB model is at least the cost to manufacture, which makes it significantly more expensive than the Switch.
Yes? My original question was "so much more expensive to manufacture than the Switch." Of course it's more powerful and more expensive to manufacture than the Switch. The question was in the context of how much, if anything Valve is losing on these. The question is whether the difference is so large that $399 is a nice number price point for something that costs between 350-425 to manufacture, or whether all the models are being sold at a loss.

A lot of people were talking in ways that implied the latter, and while I think valve is willing to throw money around to see what happens I don't think they're willing to price that aggressively.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm pretty sure "painful" means they're taking a loss on it. They're probably breaking even with the 256 GB model, so you can extrapolate from there.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I wonder if they intend to sell many 64GB models or if it's just there for the "starting at 400 bux" factor

It's extremely limiting, and you're stuck with slow SD cards for expansion unless you do m.2 surgery

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The switch has like a 7 year old Tegra in it. The deck is running on the newest AMD architecture and there's a chip shortage. They are definitely losing money on these right now and probably for a couple years.

The sort of smart thing that Valve did was pick a chip from AMD that is OEM only. For whatever reason, OEM partners are still getting parts for their systems during this shortage, so in theory it will mean Valve will be able to produce the number of Gabe Gears that they need.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The eMMC model is pretty clearly a compromise to reach the $399 price point, which puts it within an earshot of the Switch, and so is a major PR and interest generator. They probably figure much of their existing user base is savvy enough to opt for an NVMe model.

In isolation there's value in the eMMC model for indy and older titles, but that's also a market the Switch already has well covered.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

In isolation there's value in the eMMC model for indy and older titles, but that's also a market the Switch already has well covered.

To be fair, the switch has problems running a lot of older and indy titles smoothly. Even 2d card battlers like slay the spire can lag. Which is why I'm super interested in the steam deck, at the very least it will play all those types of games flawlessly.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Dramicus posted:

To be fair, the switch has problems running a lot of older and indy titles smoothly. Even 2d card battlers like slay the spire can lag. Which is why I'm super interested in the steam deck, at the very least it will play all those types of games flawlessly.

That's kinda what spurred me into getting it. I've been increasingly annoyed at paying the Switch tax on top of getting a gimped experience

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm pretty sure "painful" means they're taking a loss on it. They're probably breaking even with the 256 GB model, so you can extrapolate from there.

I figured painful meant what they had to sacrifice to get the base model to $399 (to sell at cost). Like how the PowerGlove was originally much better then Mattel forced them to make it for like 10% of the original BOM.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The only thing sacrificed in the base model is the SSD.

"Painful" I'm sure refers to the negotiations they had with their suppliers, namely AMD. Part of those negotiations almost certainly assumes a loss on Valve's part.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Aya Neo costs 789 for 512 which steam is selling for $649. That seems like a difference that can be made up by partnering with AMD, not including windows, and being willing to break even rather than trying to make a profit.

Minor correction that’s the cheaper Kickstarter price the this is the actual retail price which even taking into account volume making up $300 is pretty drat hard

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The only thing sacrificed in the base model is the SSD.

"Painful" I'm sure refers to the negotiations they had with their suppliers, namely AMD. Part of those negotiations almost certainly assumes a loss on Valve's part.

Yes, but to get the base model to that price involves other sacrifices across the board

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

repiv posted:

I wonder if they intend to sell many 64GB models or if it's just there for the "starting at 400 bux" factor

It's extremely limiting, and you're stuck with slow SD cards for expansion unless you do m.2 surgery

The 64gb slow model has "White 8GB Wii U" vibes. More easily upgradable storage would have mitigated that a lot.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
What about the specifications jump out to you as being sacrificed?

I wouldn't look at it like "a BOM of $450 per unit sold at $399 means Valve loses $60 per unit," that's probably an oversimplification. Instead, Valve probably contracted with AMD for a minimum order quantity to get the APU cost as close to margins as possible. If that quantity is in, say, 100k or even millions, then they're eating that cost until they can sell enough Decks to meet the minimum order, and the price they're actually selling the Decks for is how much that cost is offset by current sales.

It's also possible that they're straight up selling the $399 model below marginal cost and know it's unsustainable. It may not matter for their bottom line though if it flops because they didn't price it aggressively enough.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I don't disagree with you about their (no doubt intense) negotiations with AMD. I just read it as Valve expressing that it was painful to get it to sell at or around cost, not at a loss. I'm sure there were many hard decisions that had to be made, not saying the device is lovely (it seems neat and I want one). In the same interview he afterwards mentions that they don't have a calculus around counting on attach rate (to make up for a theoretical loss).

And while storage in the base model is the "only" thing different, that's also a pretty big thing. The entire existence of a 64GB slow storage SKU is an example of a "painful" decision, and it's so meagre to the point of being comparable to the White Wii U, or the later models of iPhone 16GB, where you eventually couldn't even have enough space to do OS upgrades. How many Steam games right off the bat are incompatible with that model because they require more space?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also the Deck has gyro, full size sticks, and capacitive buttons / sticks which no other handheld has.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Escape Goat posted:

How many Steam games right off the bat are incompatible with that model because they require more space?

Well death stranding a game they showed in the video wouldn’t fit on the 64.

There’s a decent handful at least.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What about the specifications jump out to you as being sacrificed?

- SD card interface is slower than it could be (cost cutting or upselling NVMe, take your pick)
- Only a single USB port
- No Wifi 6

Little things that aren't really dealbreakers but would have been nice to have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

- SD card interface is slower than it could be (cost cutting or upselling NVMe, take your pick)
- Only a single USB port
- No Wifi 6

Little things that aren't really dealbreakers but would have been nice to have

TBF to the wifi thing during the Aya Neo build process they sent out an email saying they had to find a whole new wifi chip because the shortage is so bad right now. I have to imagine they didn’t go 6 because of that.

The USB port thing sucks I absolutely agree.