Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Kvlt! posted:

Hey just wanted to say thank you for this. I'm going through some health problems right now so I got a Steam Deck and was looking for something like this to play, and my deck is arriving Tuesday i cant wait to boot this up!! Made my day

Thanks, and get well! I'm home alone this week so got to play pretty much all weekend with it, and other than a few tweaks to make (e.g. decoys that come later in the war, or realizing the hard left/right turn commands ARE useful) it works fantastically. It's now "SH3 Command Deck v4" on the Community Layouts, but I think that's the last change.

Silent Hunter 4 changes a few bindings, but it transfers over without major issues and only a few adjustments. I've played that a lot less, so a bit more testing to do before I'll send that one up too.

---

As for modding, getting SH3Commander installed is fairly easy:
- Open Discover and install protontricks, download the SH3Commander installer, and right-click run the .exe with protontricks.
- When it opens choose the Silent Hunter III prefix, and it should start the installer. Default location is in program files, in SH3's wine/proton "prefix" which is the imaginary-Windows install that the game runs within.
- I run Protontricks (and select default prefix first) to either "Browse files" to where the prefix's files are stored on your drive and right-click/run SH3Cmdr.exe with protontricks, or "Run Explorer" to open a proto-explorer window that you can use to browse around the windows-like file structure. Either way you can run SH3Cmdr.exe that way, to do whatever SH3Commander lets you do. I just used it to disable the fatigue model.

A note on GWX3:
You can use the same principles to run the GWX3 .exe installer to lay it over your Silent Hunter 3 steamapps folder, but my experience with the mod itself has been a little....goofy. For me, despite clean installs, the Kiel/Wilhelmshaven 1939 starts crash to desktop during loading. Konigsberg works fine, and the other years also seem to work fine. Annoyingly, they change the Fire Torpedo command to Ctrl+Enter, so if you get this far you'll want to change the binding on the X button in the controller scheme to account for it.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Major disadvantage of the OLED Deck:
The vent doesn't get as strong of an aroma when playing Pokemon.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Finally finished Dave the diver. It's about 5-10 hours longer than it needs to be but mostly enjoyable. I don't think I'll touch it again though. The mini games were ridiculous. It felt like it had every type imaginable.

Onto the next deck conquest!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

Finally finished Dave the diver. It's about 5-10 hours longer than it needs to be but mostly enjoyable. I don't think I'll touch it again though. The mini games were ridiculous. It felt like it had every type imaginable.

Onto the next deck conquest!

I said ok this is the last mechanic theyre introducing, right like 20 times past the point i really thought I had seen all the game had to offer.

Cant wait for the Godzilla DLC.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Playing danganronpa 2 right now and every time I wake up the deck the sound is gone :/ was especially annoying when I was playing on the train and had to restart the game every time I had to put the deck down for even a little bit.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Whats the best way to play doom wads on steam
Deck?

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

Holy wow my last six months of toilet time was completely devoted to Trails of Cold Steel and I FINALLY finished

The first entry of four :stare:

It's good tho

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Whats the best way to play doom wads on steam
Deck?

GZDoom as the source port and then ZDLauncher to play the WADs

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

TwoStoryHouseCat posted:

Holy wow my last six months of toilet time was completely devoted to Trails of Cold Steel and I FINALLY finished

The first entry of four :stare:

It's good tho

Five if you count Reverie. They're all really dang good! Should be plenty to cover for future poops.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Any good wargames? I'm looking at the Second Front for now but it seems like the most generic of generic settings humanly possible

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

GZDoom as the source port and then ZDLauncher to play the WADs

Also youll have to unfuck the gamepad controls. I think I posted about it in this thread or the early FPS thread.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Can you define war games? Do you mean turn-based strategy? Or real time a la Total War?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Wargames? Like minesweeper?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

haddedam posted:

Any good wargames? I'm looking at the Second Front for now but it seems like the most generic of generic settings humanly possible

assuming you mean groggy wargames, ive searched long and far and largely no. Hex of Steel is the closest ive come but its pretty light on depth.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Hopper posted:

Can you define war games? Do you mean turn-based strategy? Or real time a la Total War?

Turn based or hex ideally set in cold war but can be ww2 as well, especially if it's french or polish or some other non generic front. I've been thinking about open general 2 or panzer corps gold on gog.

I feel as if I am aware of pretty much every rts that has more than 1000 sales and rest are the same.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Also youll have to unfuck the gamepad controls. I think I posted about it in this thread or the early FPS thread.

Yeah it's pretty annoying that this still hasn't been fixed

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

haddedam posted:

Turn based or hex ideally set in cold war but can be ww2 as well, especially if it's french or polish or some other non generic front. I've been thinking about open general 2 or panzer corps gold on gog.

I feel as if I am aware of pretty much every rts that has more than 1000 sales and rest are the same.

Check out Turn Based Thursday Fest going on on steam right now. I saw some war themed turn-based ganrs in the listing's that might interest you.

Example: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1477170/Empires_Shall_Fall/

Hopper fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 5, 2024

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Hopper posted:

Check out Turn Based Thursday Fest going on on steam right now. I saw some war themed turn-based ganrs in the listing's that might interest you.

Example: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1477170/Empires_Shall_Fall/

Actually might not be a bad idea to stray from the sweaty realistic wargame and try something completely different. The game you reccomended looks real nice.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Random general deck complaint: its way too easy to hit the sleep mode when I'm just trying to plug in the charger

Random specific deck complaint: why doesnt the D-pad switch directionally between cards in Cultist Simulator, that would fix the game's deck playability like tenfold

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Random general deck complaint: its way too easy to hit the sleep mode when I'm just trying to plug in the charger

Random specific deck complaint: why doesnt the D-pad switch directionally between cards in Cultist Simulator, that would fix the game's deck playability like tenfold

Just bind the dpad to whatever keys do that.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

RandolphCarter posted:

Just bind the dpad to whatever keys do that.

its just a mouse cursor, nothing actually switches between cards like that as far as i can tell

which i guess is less on the deck and more on the GUI in general but still!!!!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The best thing about a steam deck is going "man this control is annoying, who the gently caress uses this button for that?" and then hitting the steam menu and fixing that poo poo to your liking.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

The best thing about a steam deck is going "man this control is annoying, who the gently caress uses this button for that?" and then hitting the steam menu and fixing that poo poo to your liking.

Yeah I was reading a review that was complaining about stick clicks for running and no ability to rebind. Not a problem with the deck!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Would you buy Balatro on deck or switch?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

tuyop posted:

Phone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tuyop posted:

Deck because my switch has been sitting in a drawer unused for months.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

tuyop posted:

both

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

why would you buy anything for switch that's on deck unless it's like one of the two games that have nintendo exclusive dlc like necrodancer

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they want to play for more than 2 hours of battery and on a machine that doesn't weigh 2kgs?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
/\/\ Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking too

Super No Vacancy posted:

why would you buy anything for switch that's on deck unless it's like one of the two games that have nintendo exclusive dlc like necrodancer

Hm, I guess they cost the same. I don't know, I like the switch form factor with the hori mini split pad and the screen is nicer.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hit the gym so you can lift the deck without some third party assistance device imo

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

genuinely though if you buy it on steam it is likely to be available on all your devices near-forever and while theres a good chance the switch one might be playable next generation i wouldnt bet on anything after that

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 5, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

they want to play for more than 2 hours of battery and on a machine that doesn't weigh 2kgs?

You can probably get like 7 hours on the deck. Cant help with the weight but the ergonomics are better on the deck.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I took a flight and looked at how much poo poo and space it takes for a deck v a switch
Brought the switch

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Upsidads posted:

I took a flight and looked at how much poo poo and space it takes for a deck v a switch
Brought the switch

:thunk:

They literally both use the same stuff.

A charger.

What else are you using for your deck that takes up that much more space?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Upsidads posted:

Brought the switch

I took a poo poo and looked at how much flight and space it takes on a deck v a switch
Brought the switch

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

MarcusSA posted:

:thunk:

They literally both use the same stuff.

A charger.

What else are you using for your deck that takes up that much more space?

A controller and a stand?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

?????????

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

What about the portable monitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Or the feedback vest