Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

So HDR won't enable for me, runs into the black screen problem that's pretty commonly cited on the main github issue tracking HDR with Moonlight.

Some stuff that may save others time and so I can find it again later.

Moonlight hasn't made a new release in a long while and you have to dig around to find builds that have it enabled. Two main options are:
- Use an AppImage based on an early build from the main Moonlight dev, details here. This "works" for me in that I can enable HDR streaming, but it then runs into the black screen on the Deck problem that I've been unable to get past so far. Many reports of success with this image, but note it's not a flatpak and you'll need to enable an AppImage launcher to even try it out. Works well other than the blank screen though - I think I'll stick with it as my Moonlight client even for SDR for now.
- Use a nightly with additional patches on top of it from a fork. This doesn't let me enable HDR - that button stays greyed out - but works for some.

That first github issue link is the best place to get info on this. I'll try again whenever Moonlight does its next release, with HDR support baked in hopefully.

W3 looks gorgeous with RT, HDR or no, so I'll just play it with SDR streaming for now.

Nonary tools is very useful and has worked flawlessly. I initially install VDD but disabled it since one of my displays has HDR so I can have Nonary set that as the sole display when Moonlight connects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Just spent an hour getting Max Payne to load into the menus only to have it crash loading the opening level, instructions on the steam forums from that point were unclear.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

So I've got a dock on the way; I was wondering, how does a controller like the dualsense work with it? Can I navigate the home menu and all that with it? Will the ps logo buttom function like the STEAM button on the deck?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

FireWorksWell posted:

So I've got a dock on the way; I was wondering, how does a controller like the dualsense work with it? Can I navigate the home menu and all that with it? Will the ps logo buttom function like the STEAM button on the deck?

It should. The Xbox button does at least.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

RandolphCarter posted:

It should. The Xbox button does at least.

That's great to hear, thanks!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

You can pair a DualSense with it right now, no dock needed.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

caldrax posted:

Just spent an hour getting Max Payne to load into the menus only to have it crash loading the opening level, instructions on the steam forums from that point were unclear.

Are you getting the jpeg error? Just download the dll from this link and drop it into the game's install folder, overwriting the existing file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15u0a_E_keUzQIGC5v2dSiIMwOu6HZVqJ/view?pli=1

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Update, man this is wayyyy better than I thought it would run.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FireWorksWell posted:

Yes, and yes. At least with the DualShock 4, I don't have a DualSense controller to specifically test but afaik they work the same.

pseudorandom name posted:

You can pair a DualSense with it right now, no dock needed.
And yeah, you can pair a Bluetooth controller with the Deck as it is now, there's nothing to the dock except some passthrough USB and HDMI and an Ethernet port.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

Yes, and yes. At least with the DualShock 4, I don't have a DualSense controller to specifically test but afaik they work the same.

And yeah, you can pair a Bluetooth controller with the Deck as it is now, there's nothing to the dock except some passthrough USB and HDMI and an Ethernet port.

I just tried using my Dualsense to test it out. It's a shame that they won't 'wake up' the Steam Deck but it's better than nothing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It comes up a lot but you dont want your Steam Deck to remotely turn on while inside of your bag. Not being able to turn on remotely is a safety feature.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

another dock question: can you plug in steering wheels/pedals for American Truck Sim?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

another dock question: can you plug in steering wheels/pedals for American Truck Sim?

Depends on what drivers they use, you could try googling the model you have and steam deck.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ive definitely grabbed the wrong dualsense and woken my steamdeck with it before

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kvlt! posted:

Depends on the wheel but almost certainly no, Logitech dont make Linux drivers for their wheels for example. This was something I tried early on because VESA mounting the Deck to my cockpit sounded like a fun dumb idea.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

It comes up a lot but you dont want your Steam Deck to remotely turn on while inside of your bag. Not being able to turn on remotely is a safety feature.

Yeah I didn't think about it like that.

One other question that came to mind; on the ps5 there's a setting to have your controller turn off after 10 or so minutes of inactivity, is there something like it for the Deck?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I got my first deck a few weeks ago and last night I completed a full run of Persona 4 Golden. I've owned it for years, even bought a Vita years ago just to play it but never completed it. The OLED deck obviously shines for a vibrant game like P4G. I've already got P5R installed.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

Yeah I didn't think about it like that.

One other question that came to mind; on the ps5 there's a setting to have your controller turn off after 10 or so minutes of inactivity, is there something like it for the Deck?

I don't know what it is off the top of my head, but there's definitely a setting for that in Steam BPM, at least. My DS4 turns off after a certain amount of inactivity on a Windows PC.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
It's maybe been asked to death already, but I've been off my deck for the last month or two.

I'm just wondering if it's safe to update emudeck yet in light of all the stuff with Nintendo and emulation recently.

I'm not bothered about switch emulation, but rather the 3DS side of things that got dragged down with it all.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Kin posted:

It's maybe been asked to death already, but I've been off my deck for the last month or two.

I'm just wondering if it's safe to update emudeck yet in light of all the stuff with Nintendo and emulation recently.

I'm not bothered about switch emulation, but rather the 3DS side of things that got dragged down with it all.

According to the Emudeck folks, existing Citra/Yuzu installs won't be removed from your Steam Deck when updating Emudeck. More detailed info at the link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EmuDeck/comments/1brsc4s/is_it_safe_to_update_official_thread/

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Quixzlizx posted:

I don't know what it is off the top of my head, but there's definitely a setting for that in Steam BPM, at least.

Found it under Controller settings, hadn't looked hard enough, lol

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Just wanted to post an update to my "Deck performs better when plugged in" problem in case anyone else has it:

not sure if this is just a coincidence or not but I had a case that had a fan on it and when I took the fan off the problem went away. I dont have the tech knowledge to know if that actually was the problem or not but its all good now!!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You had a what with a what?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

You had a what with a what?

a case that had a fan accesory attached to it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

But why?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

in case the drat think got too hot idk it came with the case i bought

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It's to avoid Deck getting those night sweats :allears:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Vic posted:

It's to avoid Deck getting those night sweats :allears:

it was made to point toward the deck but actually now that i took it off it does work as a little personal fan lol not a bad idea

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Why deprive yourself of the delicious vent you fool?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

you just answered your own question

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kvlt! posted:

Just wanted to post an update to my "Deck performs better when plugged in" problem in case anyone else has it:

not sure if this is just a coincidence or not but I had a case that had a fan on it and when I took the fan off the problem went away. I dont have the tech knowledge to know if that actually was the problem or not but its all good now!!

Does it plug into the deck? It was probably drawing enough power that the deck had slow down the CPU and GPU and whatnot.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Does it plug into the deck? It was probably drawing enough power that the deck had slow down the CPU and GPU and whatnot.

it did, thats probably exactly it ty!!

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

Went ahead and loaded chiaki4deck so I could remote play Bloodborne and it really feels the best way to play that game a lot of its technical limitations and the remote play limitations dont really hinder the experience regular PS4 so limited to 720p streaming and Bloodborne runs at (mostly) 30fps. Been having enough fun that I went ahead and grabbed a 3month ps+ basic or whatever it is called for co-op. The Deck even makes other consoles better.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

lol yeah probably just a coincidence.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
When the heatwaves hit unplug the USB minifridge too and you'll see some sick performance boosts

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

good lord you people are dicks i was just trying to say the problem was fixed and explain it idk much about tech stuff ill go flagellate myself accordingly

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kvlt! posted:

good lord you people are dicks i was just trying to say the problem was fixed and explain it idk much about tech stuff ill go flagellate myself accordingly

I appreciate you sharing. Ive seen wild USB stuff over the years like a computer restarting whenever a USB device was plugged in, a USB mouse triggering Bitlocker because it had onboard storage and was recognized as a boot device, you name it. I would not expect most people to know a random device may have significant enough power draw to affect the computer its attached to.

Now I am curious if powered external displays connected to the Steam Deck like Nreal Air could have the same effect.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Someone didnt look for the honkers railway within himself

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Kvlt! posted:

Its important to share this stuff. For example, did you know that Modern Warfare 2007 multiplayer wouldnt even start if an external microphone wasnt plugged into a USB port?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wolfsheim posted:

Someone didnt look for the honkers railway within himself