Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

alexandriao posted:

The hardware drivers for the Dualsense were contributed to the Linux Kernel by Sony themselves, and it works out of the box on any Linux kernel post-5.14, so do you mean on Windows, or ??

The touchpad doesn't work wirelessly on Linux nor Windows (and also not the adaptive triggers) without jank-rear end third party software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How comfortable would Fallout 1 and 2 be on one of these?

The Fallout show kinda makes me want a Deck just to play them, if they’re comfortable, and New Vegas. Everything else would be a bonus.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
FO1 and 2 work, but whether or not you think they're good on the deck is going to depend on how you feel about tiny UI elements and using the trackpad as a mouse. I love the trackpads and itty bitty UI stuff doesn't bother me, so I enjoyed playing FO1 all the way through right after I got my OG deck.

I believe Fallout Fixt works and you can use the x2 scaling on that to help deal with the UI issues.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Paradoxish posted:

FO1 and 2 work, but whether or not you think they're good on the deck is going to depend on how you feel about tiny UI elements and using the trackpad as a mouse. I love the trackpads and itty bitty UI stuff doesn't bother me, so I enjoyed playing FO1 all the way through right after I got my OG deck.

I believe Fallout Fixt works and you can use the x2 scaling on that to help deal with the UI issues.

How’s it compare to using a trackpad on a laptop?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

...different? They're hard to explain. They're one of the best features of the Deck but using a trackpad with your thumb is a lot different than on a laptop, and I think the trackball emulation is really the best way to use them. But the nice part is that they're pretty much entirely customizable, so you can set them up however you want.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Paradoxish posted:

...different? They're hard to explain. They're one of the best features of the Deck but using a trackpad with your thumb is a lot different than on a laptop, and I think the trackball emulation is really the best way to use them. But the nice part is that they're pretty much entirely customizable, so you can set them up however you want.

Yeah, weirdly, you'd think that a thumb controlled track pad would be intuitive because it's a bit like how you'd use a phone.

But it's not, and a dunno why. I think it might be the disconnect between the cursor not moving at the exact speed and location as your thumb directly on a screen or something.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
By default the deck trackpad emulates a trackball, meaning there's momentum if you swipe the trackpad. It allows you to have nice low sensitivity trackpad when trying to hit tiny buttons and fly across the screen with a single swipe.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You can also set the trackpad to Mouse Region which by default will cover the entire screen area, so the position of your thumb on the trackpad corresponds to the same relative area on the screen. You may find that easier to swipe the cursor around than trackball mode.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

How comfortable would Fallout 1 and 2 be on one of these?

The Fallout show kinda makes me want a Deck just to play them, if they’re comfortable, and New Vegas. Everything else would be a bonus.

Minuscule fonts

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah FO1 has really tiny fonts. If you use "classic version for older PCs" when it asks you that is slightly better but it seriously strains my eyes. And I am not at a point where I need reading glasses normally.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

jokes posted:

The Xbox controller doesn't have a touchpad but the PS5 controller does so we have to use jank-rear end software to use the touchpad (among other features) on it. Not to mention it's bluetooth-only (or plugged in) on PC so it's not as reliable as a plugged-in 2.4 adapter.

Important note on this is if you use a PS5 controller exclusively plugged into PC it will ruin the controller battery. If you use it as a wired controller on PC too much it becomes wireless-only until you replace the battery.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Based on what because I use my launch DualSense way more wired to my laptop than I do wireless with my ps5 and that thing is still chugging along happily on either. Battery life remains absolutely fine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Heran Bago posted:

Important note on this is if you use a PS5 controller exclusively plugged into PC it will ruin the controller battery. If you use it as a wired controller on PC too much it becomes wireless-only until you replace the battery.

Is that true for being plugged into a PS5 too? If not, what’s the difference?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t think it’s true at all based on my own experience but if there’s an actual thing out there about it I’m open to being wrong.

The only fucky thing my dualsenses do is sometimes if I leave them plugged in when I shut down my computer they’ll stay turned on and drain their battery until it’s dead or I notice they’re still switched on and unplug them.

Doesn’t happen every time and most of the time I remember to unplug them when I finish using them so it’s whatever.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

jokes posted:

The touchpad doesn't work wirelessly on Linux nor Windows (and also not the adaptive triggers) without jank-rear end third party software.

are you sure? i'm on plain ol' debian KDE and connecting my ds to bluetooth, touchpad starts working immediately

e: oh never mind me dualsense isn't the same thing apparently lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I tried playing FO1 on my PC last weekend and on top of the tiny fonts, the mouse was really floaty and felt like poo poo to use. So I don't think the Steam Deck's track pad is gonna fare better.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

I tried playing FO1 on my PC last weekend and on top of the tiny fonts, the mouse was really floaty and felt like poo poo to use. So I don't think the Steam Deck's track pad is gonna fare better.

I played it on the deck, docked, last year and the mouse was fine.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Yeah, I didn't notice any floatiness with the trackpads when I played FO1 handheld.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sounds like the usual mouse acceleration/enhanced pointer precision or whatever the gently caress it’s called now thing in windows to me

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Commander Keene posted:

When I was modding Skyrim, I just installed MO2 on my Deck, then transferred all of my mods from PC to Deck using SyncThing.

Holy poo poo thanks for this, I've been on again off again dicking around trying to find a good way to do this ever since I got a deck. This was finally the software that made it simple enough for a moron like me to do it.

Oh god now I need so much more storage.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pretty interesting and detailed slides from a presentation work being done on a gaming-optimized scheduler for Linux

https://static.sched.com/hosted_files/ossna2024/9b/scx-lavd-oss-na24.pdf

quite technical in places

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone try underrail on deck? Can’t get protondb to load atm.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Holy poo poo thanks for this, I've been on again off again dicking around trying to find a good way to do this ever since I got a deck. This was finally the software that made it simple enough for a moron like me to do it.

Oh god now I need so much more storage.

You can also just use a flash drive, which is what I do. New mods I just download directly on the Deck.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Should I get my hopes up for running “No Rest for the Wicked” on the deck?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
everything seems broken regarding mod so maybe i’ll just play vanilla New Vegas on my steam deck

surely it’s more stable than release

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Miguel Prado posted:

Should I get my hopes up for running “No Rest for the Wicked” on the deck?

I saw this posted on r/SteamDeck the other day. Game looks neat and this was the first time I have heard of it.

https://twitter.com/TheGennadiy/status/1780686063142420878

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

hadji murad posted:

everything seems broken regarding mod so maybe i’ll just play vanilla New Vegas on my steam deck

surely it’s more stable than release

I recall there being some talk that the Deck is actually the best, most stable place to play New Vegas?

I can't make any grand proclamations on how accurate that is, but I will say I am part way through a second play through of NV on a Steam Deck and my experience has been completely solid. Totally vanilla, both times. Can't recall a single crash or even any particularly dramatic bugs beyond the standard Bethesda open world experience.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
30fps on the Deck for a top down game. The power of Unity3d. /s

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Beastie posted:

I saw this posted on r/SteamDeck the other day. Game looks neat and this was the first time I have heard of it.

https://twitter.com/TheGennadiy/status/1780686063142420878

Very cool!

I’ll still probably stream it but I’m glad they’re open about it and putting in the effort. Moon is up there with Supergiant in my “Studios who I will immediately buy their games” tier of developers.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Bumhead posted:

I recall there being some talk that the Deck is actually the best, most stable place to play New Vegas?

I can't make any grand proclamations on how accurate that is, but I will say I am part way through a second play through of NV on a Steam Deck and my experience has been completely solid. Totally vanilla, both times. Can't recall a single crash or even any particularly dramatic bugs beyond the standard Bethesda open world experience.

Loaded it up and played a bit and it seems fine to me. Maybe I'll try getting Viva New Vegas up and running, but if that doesn't work, it sure seems good enough for me.

Now to decide upon a build and perks...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I just tried to start up Skyrim and got some (mod related) error. Since I haven't changed any mods since last time I played, I'm assuming an update to Skyrim hosed something.

I know there was some bit in the setup guide about having to like re-deploy mods in certain situations, but I can remember the specifics.

I think it was something about using Mod Organizer, so it'd probably also apply to New Vegas, or any other game using Mod Organizer.

I never did understand the reason why Mod Organizer using symlinks or whatever was "better" than just putting the mods into the actual folder. You're going to have to make a new game if you change your mods anyway, so having an "easier" time uninstalling them doesn't seem as useful to me (since I typically set up the mods I want and then don't change them again).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Annath posted:

I never did understand the reason why Mod Organizer using symlinks or whatever was "better" than just putting the mods into the actual folder. You're going to have to make a new game if you change your mods anyway, so having an "easier" time uninstalling them doesn't seem as useful to me (since I typically set up the mods I want and then don't change them again).

It can make handling load orders a LOT easier. Let's say you've got three mods. There are cases where installing them A > B > C causes funky poo poo because mods A and C both touch the same files and if C overwrites A things get weird. This can range from "oh now I've got one low res texture in amongst a sea of high res" on through a crash to desktop. In those cases loading C > B > A might help. But what if B needs to overwrite things in A and now THAT's loving up? Well, go C > A > B.

If you're doing this manually by dumping mods into the folders manually it's a HUUUUUGE pain in the rear end. Even this really simple little three mod thing would be a giant headache, because each time you re-order poo poo you need to reinstall all the mods and likely even reinstall the game. A mod manager lets you rearrange the load order a lot easier which ins invaluable for troubleshooting poo poo like this.

It also makes it a LOT easier to figure out what mod out of 50 is causing your crashes and disable it, since you can rig up a test save and just start adding and removing things until it gets stable. Still annoying to close the game, disable mod #23, launch, crash, disable mod #24, repeat but it's a whole hell of a lot better than doing all that manually.

Yeah, once you're in and stable and playing you're probably not touching your mods ,but good lord having a good organizer makes getting to that point a lot faster and more painless.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Oh yeah, you want *something*, I meant more that back in the day you had MO and Nexus Mod Manager (NMM), and the primary difference was MO used Symlinks, while NMM added the files directly. Since NMM could reinstall the mods after changing the order with a click of a button anyway, I never understood the appeal of MO. At the time, a lot of mods from the Nexus were packaged for NMM and didn't always play nice with MO.

It's moot now AFAIK since Nexus uses Vortex now, which uses Symlinks itself.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You can get vortex going on the deck to handle mods but it’s janky and not really worth it. Much easier to handle things on a PC then SSH the modded files to the Deck install directly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Downloading a mod off the Nexus site, dropping it in the MO2 folder, and checking it in MO2 isn’t any trouble at all on the Deck. Being able to run Vortex in handheld mode would be pretty awesome, though.

My Fallout 3 TTW playthrough used around 120 mods and only crashed twice in ~100 hrs so I can attest to the stability of this setup on the Steam Deck.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I got everything set up working and copied over from my laptop for another run of TTW but the game would just silently crash back to the MO2 screen whenever I tried to start it, so I just started playing FO76 instead which plays really nicely on the deck

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m going to redo my mod setup when I get around to playing through New Vegas so I’ll document it and post it here. There are probably a bunch of little fixes and workarounds I used that I just don’t remember.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What's TTW, in regards to F:NV?

Edit: oh, wow, I somehow didn't think that was Google-able. Holy poo poo, 3 and NV smushed into 1 game?

Yes please.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah, Tale of Two Wastelands. One of the greatest mods ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Tale of Two Wastelands iirc, a Mod that fuses FO4 and NV into 1 game.

Edit: Beaten like a mole rat with a baseball bat.