Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Cronodoculous posted:

What a difference three days makes, I guess.

Oof. I just got mine a few weeks ago, but being Australia it’s grey market so no chance anyway… I’m still happy with it.

I’m enjoying pc gaming for the first time in many, many years, celebrating the steam deck by mostly playing games that I could play on console or did once play on console. I’d been hanging for a bit of Skyrim for a while and now have a very sneaky, thiefy, catman. I also got motion sickness from skyrim but was able to solve it with a mod and a couple of settings.ini type changes for fov and camera.

Forza Horizon 5 is really great on the deck as well, it’s only slightly annoying that the old xbox that I use for streaming media pings with every achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Is there a good way to download games with the steam deck screen off? I know the OLED panel is good, but I still don’t want to tempt burn in damage

I have shittyish internet: I start downloading, plug in the deck, switch to desktop mode, open Steam from the menu, the downloads will be running, the screen will turn off after x minutes and keep downloading all night.

There’s probably a setting for screen timeout but I’ve not looked for it, the default seems reasonable.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Who plays WoW on their deck?

I haven’t tried it but there are a few setup guides for WoW and it’s on my to do list, but my deck is still kind of new right now and I’m spending a lot of time just relaying my library because I haven’t had a games machine for a while.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I can’t recall which guide I used because it was a while back but I just searched “Skyrim mods steam deck” and got simple instructions to install Vortex mod manager and SKSE. It went really easy given it was my first couple of days with the deck.

I was also able to sort out the motion sickness I was getting from it with a couple of mods - which was weird because I never had that problem on pc.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Another game that's great on deck: I've been playing a bunch of Hardspace: Shipbreaker.

Game's fun but that's not exactly news. It controls great, looks great, and with some really modest tweaks (fps/refresh set to 40) I'm getting about 2 hours 15 minutes on an LCD Deck.

If you haven't played it yet, get into it. Really great game.

Thanks for the reminder, when I first got my deck it was a game I was interested to play, but it had a yellow icon and at that stage I wasn’t really sure what that meant for playability. I was a bit too wary.

The sales keep getting me: I’ve got far too many games I haven’t played yet but I picked up Hardspace: Shipbreaker and Ace Combat 7, which looks like another fun one for the deck.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

FC5 works, eventually. Had to restart it a few times to work out some kinks with the ubi launcher but it all sorted itself out. The one annoying hang up is there's some Ubisoft pop over notice about needing to upgrade my graphics card drivers that I can't figure out how to dismiss, but I didn't really care enough to run that down because I'm uninstalling it now anyway. Game launches, fired up an old save, everything seems to be fine.

Interestingly it did try to start up UPlay at first, but then it did an update and correctly launched their new launcher.

AC: Revelations gets hung up on UPlay, saying it can't connect. Which makes sense because that service is dead. I'll post a pic in a second.

Meanwhile it works fine on the desktop. Zero problem launching and playing there.

Edit:

choosing to go offline does nothing.

I was trying to play the Victorian era / steampunk assassins game and I spent about an hour dealing with this screen before giving up. I haven’t got a solution sorry, just sharing the pain.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Figured it out, thanks to this dude putting up a fix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lw7SwgnGZQ

The tl;dw is that you install protontricks and use that to basically overwrite the old uplay app with the new ubi connect app. It does some fuckery and starts up the correct ubi launcher when you fire it off from inside steam. Appears to be working fine for me now after doing that. He's using Syndicate as his example, but says it works for all the old Ubi games.

This is a LOT more straight forward than the other fixes I found which basically involved you doing the same thing manually via a poo poo ton of downloading, overwriting files, and console fuckery. It's basically about as difficult as installing a patch.

That’s great, thanks, I’ve got a few assassins games to play my way through on the deck now.

Detective No. 27 posted:

My Steam Deck case has a slight snag in the zipper. Kinda thinking about getting a Waterfield case. But I need one that can fit a 10ft USB C cable and my Sharge 67w wall charger.

I’m not certain it will fit a 10ft cable but I replaced the one that came with the deck with this this cheapie. I had some doubts about putting the $$$deck in the $case but it’s as solid and protective as the official one + the extra storage I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Squiggle posted:

Cross-posting from the grognard games thread, the conversation there around Silent Hunter 3 got me wondering...Does it Deck?

It was near bedtime so all I really did was tool around shallow seas, so it could all fall apart in the thick of it. But I enjoy making control bindings for weird poo poo, so I'll keep at it and publish it when it's ready.

PSA: If you make bindings, publish them for others! Steam input modability loving rules and is extremely powerful! I swear, it's the best underutilized thing about the deck.

I hadn’t even thought about playing Silent Hunter on deck but that could be fun - not that it was ever about fun, it was a super serious submarine simulation. I have a bit of a thing for submarine movies which is why I bought it way back when but drat it was a tough game to enjoy.