Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

CBD Corndog posted:

Yeah, just like youtube automatically putting people on the lowest resolution video.

Its also to prevent everyone's client from updating at once and blowing up the servers, though with the way Steam handled the BG3 launch its not that much of a concern anymore.

Just 145Tbps no biggie

Good lord that's a flex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Two questions:

1) is there any functional difference between using an SD card for storage and the onboard drive? Intuitively I would think that the on-board drive is faster, but I've also seen some poo poo saying that somehow the deck has the SD card running bizarrely fast.

2) is there any preferred brand/type of SD card or is it just whatever is cheap?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

New deck day.

Gotta wait until tonight ti set it up though

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is there any recommended way to put this thing through its paces to make sure everything’s good to go? Some game that uses all the buttons in the first 5 min etc?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

That’s what the aperture desk job thing is for

Oh sweet so they’ve got a steam flavored Astros playroom then?

Things in the box still, so I didn’t even know that existed.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah it’s this

It’s nowhere near an hour in length though, more like 30 minutes tops

Perfect. That's about how long I played Astro's. I've heard it's a pretty nice platformer, but those just aren't my thing and the gameplay beyond the tech demo was kind of wasted on me.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ok, random newbie question because i"m probably going to set this thing up and get some downloads happening before I have to run out for the night (loving perfect timing on getting a shiny new toy goddamn lol):

What's the deal with downloads and the deck sleeping, both plugged in and on batteries? If I want to leave it to download poo poo while I'm out, am I ok to just plug it in and walk off? I'm assuming it goes into some kind of sleep/standby eventually, how does that impact downloads?

Same question, but not plugged in. If I"m cool with the OS just quietly churning and downloading for a few hours, can I leave it unplugged and in its case and accept the battery will be at 70% or whatever after downloading for a few hours? Or will it auto-sleep and pause the downloads?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

holy poo poo this thing is offgassing. I now get the smell yo deck joke.

How long does that take to work itself out? Because right now yeesh. My wife's sensitive to smells and no way I can use this thing around her until it stops smelling like a tire shop.

v1ld posted:

I This is impossible on any of the alternatives, so who cares if they have faster cpu/gpu or better screen? Wish some of them would consider adding at least the touchpads, which are table stakes for PC gaming on a controller IMO.

God yes, back when Valve kinda gave up on their controller I picked one up for next to nothing. It gets a fair bit of use to this day mostly because the touch pads make a ton of games controller-accessible that wouldn't be otherwise.

Most of them aren't as good as they'd be with KBM, of course, but gently caress it it's good enough that I can toss the video up on a TV and crash in a beanbag for some lazy Civ or whatever.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also what the gently caress, you're telling me this thing will preferentially transfer install files on my local network if I've got the game installed on my PC?

This is some loving black magic. Makes perfect sense, but jesus I'm not used to companies leveraging their own software and platforms this well.

I should not be downloading poo poo to a handheld this fast.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oddball question.

I’ve got these little usbc MagSafe connectors I habitually use on a lot of crap. Prevents bad poo poo when a cord gets tripped on. Here’s one on a PS5 controller:

Any idea why these don’t work with the deck? Get zero power through them with the deck, but they work for charging all my other usbc poo poo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

That tracks.

Anyone have recommendations for something similar actually rated for this? Dont mind spending a few bucks and the ones I have now have absolutely saved some small electronics from getting flung across the room, either by me being a clumsy oaf or cats deciding to sprint across the room.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Managed to get Chaiki working so now I can stream from my PS5. Goddamn, this is going to be convenient as gently caress.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Honestly I'd kind of expect it about when the next big console refresh happens in general. That's when we're going to see the next big jump in hardware requirements for games, and doing a refresh before that puts you into awkward territory where your brand new thing might just not have the grunt for new titles.

The hardware the Deck is using right now is adequate for this generation barring a few outliers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

That said, my one big feature wish list beyond basic poo poo like "more battery" and "more GPU" is an external indicator of battery level. It's really loving nice to be able to hit a button on the side of my macbook and see a basic LED indicator of how much charge I've got. Even something really simple like the power indicator light pulsing fast when it's charging near empty and slowing down until it's steady bright white when its' full, like a cordless drill battery.

I mean, yeah, you can turn it on to check, but it's just a dumb convenience thing I've gotten used to with a lot of other battery powered stuff. poo poo, I've got a bunch of cheap as poo poo corporate-branded cell phone chargers that have some way to tell charge level at a glance.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it's handy if you're in desktop mode for a few mins and don't wanna bother plugging in a kb :shrug:

Yeah, I'm happy for it for this alone. I've spent the last couple of days doing a bunch of set up stuff, including installing crap on the desktop side of things, and I don't yet own a USBc hub (one is on the way). Being able to flip up the software keyboard and peck in stuff helped a lot.

Also frankly it's kind of necessary from a user experience standpoint just on the actual game mode side of things. Just the initial deck setup requires you to enter stuff like wifi passwords and your steam info, and doing that via controller keyboard scrolling sucks. Plus all the random sign-ins that games are going to have for dumb poo poo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

v1ld posted:

What the Deck lacks is better UI mapping for touch in Desktop mode, but that mode doesn't get much love in general. Even the default touchpad/controller bindings aren't great. Works great if you have KB&M of course.

I'm pretty OK with this, to be honest. Frankly I'm mildly surprised that they gave an easy to access desktop mode in the first place. Most companies would have sealed it down to expose as little of the underlying OS as possible and keep you in the polished UI and user experience that they fully control.

Which, loving awesome, good on Valve. But that's also a space where I'm OK with them just going "here are the tools, you're on your loving own."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So what's the story with the stable vs preview channels for the system software? I know that beta software is going to have a certain degree of jank, but are we talking poo poo crashing all the time and being unplayable, or are we talking mild bullshit and in return you get to play with new toys before everyone else?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Speaking of game patches, the new BG3 patch dropped and the performance updates they did really helped. I was getting ~15 FPS in the third act after a bunch of tweaks, after this patch I'm getting about 24 with some excursions down to 18. It's still suboptimal, and if I'm on my network I'll still stream from the PC, but it's good enough to not be annoying when you're out and about.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Vic posted:

Sounds like some localized server issue, I had no problem with the update on PC or Deck.

Same, installed fine.

I had to clear a bit of space - I think it needs extra room to unpack - but after that it was smooth sailing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What are the recommended decky plugins. About to start installing that. Any must haves?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

poo poo, I've got the 256gb deck and no card and I'm fine for now. Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% going to be buying a card sometime in the next whenever before I have to travel or otherwise leave home for a while, but right now 256 is plenty for doing what I want to do locally, and for the rest I'm streaming the gently caress out of poo poo on my PC and PS5.

Streaming is really good, for the most part, with some oddball hitches. BG3 is one, annoyingly. For some reason (and yes I do have steam set to detect the resolution of the thing I'm streaming to) it wants to think my deck is a 4:3 resolution display, so I either end up with a stretched image or one that's letterboxed on the left and right. Playing it on the deck itself it correctly picks it up as 16:10 no problem. And over-all performance on the deck is fine - no great, but fine - especially after patch 3, but holy poo poo that fucker drains battery. So I'd really prefer to stream that game in particular just so I can plop on the couch without having to be plugged in.

edit: it loving kills me how good the deck is for local streaming. The last time I hosed around with this would have been like five or maybe even ten years ago, whenever Steam Link first came out, sending a feed from my PC to my laptop for gaming in bed. And that sucked enough that I just didn't bother. They really unfucked something with lag and stutter in that time, goddamn.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

v1ld posted:

I'm just gonna stream most things I think. Working from home for 3.5 years has burned me out on sitting even longer in front of the ultrawide pc monitor.

Yeah, I didn't realize just how much my eyes were bugging out from working on a monitor all day and then playing games that way at night. I sat down a few days ago for some BG3 on the desktop and my eyes just said gently caress you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

You can put PopOS on that thing right now. :sun:

I've been watching Windows deteriorate because I am a sysadmin. It's just a constant fight against whatever new bullshit Microsoft has come up with to make my job worse. I can't think of a single feature added to Windows since 7 that has meaningfully improved anything.

Meanwhile, the Linux part of my job has gotten easier and more pleasant over time. And for a few years now I don't even have to reboot after work, I can just stay on Linux. It's pleasant and nice and doesn't try to install Candy Crush.

You're 100% correct, but I'm also laughing because I remember a crusty old sysadmin saying pretty much the same thing to me in ~2002 when I was a college kid with a beer money campus IT job, right down to the Linux bit. Just replace Windows 7 with Windows NT 4.0 and delete the reference to Candy Crush.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Boar It posted:

Starting a new job next week that will require upwards of 20 days travel a year. Not entirely sure how much it will be in reality, but if I were I probably would have picked up a Deck during the last sale. It doesn't seem like the most powerful offering out there, but with Valve saying it will be at least another two years before a new one arrives it seems like a fairly safe bet? I don't really play a whole lot of demanding AAA games, even after building a new pc for the first time in eons back in May.

Hopefully there will be another sale around Black Friday or something.

It's amazing what you can run when you start targeting lower resolutions. I've been so conditioned by trying to hit good frame rates in 1440. You'd be shocked what this thing can run.

Certainly not everything, don't get me wrong. There is some stuff that's just poorly optimized or otherwise hell. But gently caress, I'm running BG3 on this thing now and it's fine.

From where I sit the better repairability, better controls, and better OS just make this a winner over the other offerings. A 25 year old version of me that was obsessed with charts and willing to tinker with a funky windows install? Sure, he probably would have gotten one of the other ones. 40 year old me that just wants his loving toy to work when he picks it up after a day of work? Deck all the way.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Man, steam deck is a land of contrasts I guess. Admittedly mine is brand new so I don't know if I've got Good Fans or something, but even playing battery drainers like BG3 the noise is just kind of there. Mils quieter than my desktop at any rate. Also impossible to hear at all if I'm using headphones, which is usually.

I've yet to notice any heat issue. I mean, yeah, the screen and the back will get hot to the touch after an hour of tooling around Act 3 BG3, but it's not really noticable since I'm not touching those parts of the unit at all. The bit along the bottom edge where it tends to rest on my belly/leg stays cool enough, and the controller bits that I'm actually holding don't get noticeably warmer at all, beyond what my body heat does.

In other news the old Bomber Crew game is loving amazing on deck and has me seriously considering buying the sequels.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Years of pc gaming in the beforetimes have prepared me for fan volumes your fragile baby ears can only dream of

Ca. 2004 PC gaming when you were a cheap rear end broke college student and couldn't afford to replace fans when they got unballanced.

Gaming with the side of your PC off both in a vain attempt to cool the internals and keep fan speeds down and also so you could lean in and tap that one motherfucker of an 80mm when it started ticking.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bumhead posted:

Personal preference and the sheer flexibility of the device come into play, too.

Maximising the performance of something like Starfield or Cyberpunk 2077 on the Steam Deck is a fascinating use case for this hardware, but personally I gravitate more towards the other end. My Deck is basically a mobile PC from circa 1994-2004. I love playing old poo poo that might have melted my PC's of yesteryear and cranking down that wattage, maximising the battery, seeing them fly at high frame rates and performance on a handheld without the fans even breaking a sweat.. yeah, give me that poo poo.

Yeah, I'm doing both at the moment. My gaming yesterday was a few hours of BG3, followed by an hour and a half of getting a controller setup built out for X Wing: Alliance. Even money I'm installing Tie Fighter by the end of the month.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

njsykora posted:

I really should replace my ISP router at some point. For wifi 6 if nothing else, those things are getting real cheap. If nothing else it'd let me have seperate 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks since my new ISP router doesn't let me do that any more. Also it only has 3 LAN ports.

You can get remarkably decent routers for remarkably cheap, as History pointed out.

Basically, if you can afford both a PS5 and a Deck you can afford a router that isn't an ISP supplied potato.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Even if you can’t put the ISP device into a modem-only mode you can plug any router in and use that for its better wired switching and wifi, it won’t care at all and your ISP provided equipment will just happily provide it with connectivity without complaining.

It’ll just see it as another device to throw the 1’s and 0’s at.

Yep, this is exactly what we've got going on. lovely ISP supplied combo modem and gently caress-awful wifi router that is plugged into a much nicer router for a mesh network, which in turn has a cheap but effective little pocket router plugged into it that's feeding my PC and the PS5 via ethernet.

Even with all that daisy chain bullshit the only real bottleneck is if I decide to try and do bandwith intensive poo poo on the PC and PS5 at once. I downloaded two big games simultaneously just to see what it looked like, but outside of creating a problem for myself like that it doesn't' come up in day to day use.

PS5 feeding via ethernet cable to the little cheap router and thence onto the mesh network which connects to the dock works wonderfully for playing Horizon games in bed.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

"Unplayable at 30fps"? You sweet, summer child...I played Tie Fighter on an i386 a 2fps. :corsair:

Reminds me of that time in college where I used dryer vent to pipe the window a/c unit into my gaming pc.
:iceburn::pcgaming:

It was touched on earlier, but I assume Steam Streaming works amazingly over Deck + Local Network? If I wanted to play BG3 or Cyberpunk with RTX from my desktop but via the Deck?

Yup. I've been doing a fair bit of Starfield on the deck.

In other deck news I realized yesterday, after owning the thing for like five loving days, that this means I can game on the porch. I can go outside and enjoy some nice early fall air while playing video games like a total loving goon.

Goddamn the future is here.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

Started up The Outer Wilds (not Worlds) on a long flight and wow what a good Deck game. No issues with font size. Previously I got frustrated with two planets and put it down, but it's easier to try a cycle when I can jump in and suspend whenever.

The default controls have the right touch pad as analog stick. It's much better as a mouse but then the UI is constantly flickering between the two. Haven't found a way to force controller UI. This is the only thing keeping it from being a perfect Deck game imo.

I'm assuming you've tried looking for user created control profiles?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ok, someone school me on microSD cards. Just how plug and play are they? If you swap them, how does the OS handle that? In game mode, does Steam automatically see what you've got on there and make the games accessible? Are we talking something more on the video game cartridge level of "slap it in and it works" or more like plugging an external HD with programs on it into a windows PC?

Basically I'm thinking of grabbing a few sd cards and populating them with some chonky games that I don't want to keep around full time. A couple of them might actually have different versions of the same game. There's one Skyrim total conversion that I've been meaning to try, for example, so I could see myself having a card with that on it and then a separate one with normal Skyrim that's just modded to the gills.

Related question because I'm really out of the loop with Linux stuff, how necessary is it to have the deck itself install these files. Could I spin up a linux partition on my desktop, get a microSD reader, and then use the desktop to install stuff to the SD card and have it work over on the deck?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

e: loading a spare card up with stuff via Windows seems unlikely to work since I imagine it's formatted with ext4 for Arch on the deck

Yeah, no, I'm talking about setting up a small linux partition on my desktop, installing Steam on it, and then using that to install crap on the SD.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Awful lot of work when you could just install it directly to the card on the deck instead, no?

Not when you're dealing with modded games.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if I can install Skyrim on the card plugged into a reader on my PC - booting into Linux mind you - and then use all the assorted tools that exist for installing mods, unfucking load orders, etc. over there and THEN just port that to the deck on the card. There's just a lot of extra bullshit that I'd like to avoid installing on the deck. Mod managers and the like, half of which involve linux compatibility tools and software themselves.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

You could just mod your windows installed copy and then transfer that over the network or something rather than making a special Linux copy and jumping through Linux hoops to mod that.

It’s a lot of extra steps just to be able to write directly to the sd card in another device.

Maybe. I'll look into it, how well does linux play with reading shared directories on a windows device?

Unless you can use steam to transfer the modded install? I know if you're installing the game on your deck and you already have it on your main machine it will draw from that, but I just assumed it wasn't going to gently caress with modded files for some reason. Is it just that simple?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Unless you can use steam to transfer the modded install? I know if you're installing the game on your deck and you already have it on your main machine it will draw from that, but I just assumed it wasn't going to gently caress with modded files for some reason. Is it just that simple?

Yeah, didn't think this would work. Unsurprisingly my modded to the gills install of FO:NV came over vanilla. Really don't feel like dicking around with network sharing install directories. I'll just experiment and tinker and see what works.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

2) I need Decky, but what are the must-have things for it? I'll install the vibrancy thing, but it looks like Valve will be adding it to the next stable release, so I guess it's just for now. Also, do I need to reinstall Decky every time there's a system update?

I asked a similar question and got this. I installed most of those, pretty happy. I'm skipping the vibrancy one for now because frankly it looks fine and if it's in the next update whatever, I'm lazy.

njsykora posted:

ProtonDB Badges (adds the game's protonDB status to its game page), SteamGridDB (adds a UI for changing a game's artwork) and How Long To Beat (adds the How Long To Beat info to a game page) are the 3 big ones to me.

Heran Bago posted:

SteamGridDB will let you easily set artwork for games you add to Steam, or change existing ones.

Animation Changer will let you set custom boot animations from a free repository. There is a way to do this using your Steam Coins, but it won't have options like a PS2 Boot up animation.

If you want to do emulation, it's generally suggested to setup Emudeck. This will install EmuDeck Hotkeys.

PowerTools is good if you want more power options. Useful if you're playing Tears of the Kingdom or trying to get recent AAA games to hit a consistent frame rate target.

vibrantDeck has some advanced color settings, but has mostly been made obsolete by a built-in saturation option.

ProtonDB Badges gives you better info than Steam's verified/playable statuses.

Subjunctive posted:

Quick Bluetooth thing if you use it. SteamGridDB for art. ProtonDB overlay thing. MoonDeckBuddy if you use Moonlight.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

other people posted:

Got the 64GB deck on sale and it arrived yesterday.

Throw an SD card in it. That will fix a lot.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

Cyrano4747, if you keep popping in SD cards and installing / adding Steam games you are 100% going to eat up your entire SSD with shader caches. There is a thing called deckcleaner to help deal with this. Just keep that in the back of your mind in case it happens.

Yep already have it installed. Thanks for the heads up though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Looking at that hinge and the blue pull tab thing on the side I suspect it's also supposed to fold over to kind of cover the screen, while being awkwardly held above it because of the thumb sticks.

loving shame that Valve doesn't include a protective case with these things, so we need to bodge together these kind of weird solutions.