Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

SCheeseman posted:

I agree that it doesn't make sense for other manufacturers to enter the market now, unless major game publishers like Epic or EA wanna join the hardware train.
Hardware spec-wise, this thing is to the Xbox Series S what that is to the Series X. AMD's custom APU here is so astonishingly similar to the newest consoles, it genuinely makes me wonder if Microsoft might throw their hat into the ring. Portable native Game Pass would be a system seller on its own.

That said, holy poo poo, AMD's focus here is really cool to see. They've got the dedicated gaming hardware on lock, but in an interesting way with custom SoCs. I'm loving the processor race right now.

As for the Deck itself, I'm hyped as gently caress for this thing. The more I think about it, the more I realize it's actually one of my favorite tech product announcements in quite some time. I really don't have any reason to doubt the success of this device. The Index gives me optimism in the quality and ergonomics. I hope the out-of-the-box software experience somehow dampens the usual jankiness we'd see with an OEM all-in-one type of thing (like the suspend/resume stuff, no annoyances with online modes, and other basic console quality of life features like that).

edit: I wonder if this thing will get people to use Steam's chat features. That video with someone sending a message about a Doom achievement... do people actually do that on Steam? It looks cool and all (reminds me of the 360 era of Xbox Live) but I don't know a soul that uses that stuff when everyone has Discord open.

oversteps fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Wamdoodle posted:

It's considered retro now so of course a used 3DS is :retrogames: lol
Holy poo poo, I had no idea. I was casually thinking of getting a 2DS for Samus Returns and... yeah, whoa. I clearly missed the boat there.

It's a shame we can't play most of the Metroid games on the Switch. Can't wait to emulate them on the Deck instead!

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Raffles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJoUs0pM4GU&hd=1

New IGN video. Not much in the way of new info here, but interesting to see how much they are hammering home, "This is not a subset of the Steam library, you will be able to play everything".
Ooh, thanks for pointing out the new video. The way they dive into the suspend/resume functionality is nice to hear. I'm so excited for this drat thing that I will watch and read any kind of substantive content that comes our way. I'm delightfully surprised that even The Verge was posting articles about it over the weekend.

oversteps fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 19, 2021

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Unlike this thread, which really does need its own large space all for itself, the Steam Deck requires no room whatsoever. Because it's a portable system.