Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Anti-Bunny posted:

Paid for the deck a week ago and still hasn't shipped. Getting worried.

Yeah I paid for mine Monday and it is still stuck on shipping soon. I'm definitely trying to push down the "is something wrong?!?!" anxiety monster and just be patient, but it's not easy.

I just want to play Viewtiful Joe :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Time from payment to shipping can take up to ten days. It happened to me but it did eventually ship. Hang in there, you’ll be sniffing that vent soon.

While I understand this I also had to post a complaint in the thread to make it ship. The SA forums are kinda magic that way.

Expected arrival is this Thursday!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Anyone messed with xcom 2 yet? On the short list of games to try. I have it on switch but fps, loading, controls and lack of mods made it a horrid experience compared to pc. Hoping the steam deck gets pretty close to the m+kb experience.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

It has full controller support :shrug: you can also use the touch pads so it should work pretty ok.

Well yeah but controller is kind of rear end on XCOM is my point.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Kin posted:

What's the process typically for it?

I just pulled the trigger on the 512GB version in the UK, so do I just keep an eye out for an email in my inbox or a message on steam, etc?

You'll get both.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I enjoyed Days Gone. Didn't finish it, it's certainly not a great game but it is fun for a while to ride a Harley through the wilds of Oregon . I don't regret my time with it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

fadam posted:

I haven’t played it but gonna guess the open world zombie game inspired by Sons of Anarchy and made by an American studio is pretty bad

America Bad! Japan Good!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

After a couple delays, Deck is finally supposed to be here tomorrow.

I want to say I'll start with setting up emulation but in reality I know I'll just dive into modded Isaac. The comfort of Switch Isaac with the modularity of PC? That might be dangerous for me.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I sniffed my vent.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

In chrome, when I start typing in the address bar and the autocomplete drop down appears, I can't click any of the options. And if I close the keyboard it just tries to navigate to whatever I had typed up til then. What do?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lord Bob posted:

How are you closing the keyboard? if you just hit B to dismiss the keyboard it should leave the auto-complete up and let you mouse over to it

Ah yeah I was hitting the icon to close, I'll give that a try thanks

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Man, the only (but not insignificant) issue this thing has is the weight. Idk, comparing it to the switch is kind of apples and oranges, but the form factor on the Switch is definitely better.

Otherwise, loving awesome though. Started Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions last night. A game I've been dying to try for ages given all the hype around it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

PageMaster posted:

So do I permanently have an account alert now in Steam? I completed the Purchase of the Deck to the best of my knowledge (have the credit card charge, have the thanks for purchasing e-mail from Valve, etc.), but I still have a permanent alert and repeated pop up reminding me that I only have 2 days to complete the purchase. pop up says purchased, and checking the "I have read the message" does nothing either. I'm guessing it maybe goes away when it ships? or is there some intermediate step where it still needs to Process or something?

Seems like a bug. It shouldn't show anymore once you say you've seen it and close the window.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Is there a way to make emulation station show the individual game you're playing as your steam status, instead of just "emulation station"?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Wii U emulation is insanely good on the deck. It took some time to get everything figured out, but once I did these games are running better than gamecube games. Full 60 fps in Wind Waker HD type poo poo.

Been playing that and The Simpsons: Hit and Run. This thing absolutely owns.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

beep-beep car is go posted:

Do you have a tutorial you followed? I've been trying for 2 days off and on to get Wind Waker HD working on my deck.

There is a comment on this video that is the best walk through I've found so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kTbvJZPxC4

Might take a little additional googling if you get stuck, probably best not to get into the weeds with it here.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

beep-beep car is go posted:

Ahh I see, most of the Cemu stuff is Windows based. I'm on a Mac. I'll have to dig out a windows PC and do it from there.

Yeah I did most of the work on my pc and then used Warpinator to transfer the games between my pc and deck.

Side note, warpinator is pretty awesome if you don't want to deal with using drives to swap data.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Also, iirc Wind Waker is one of the games you can play without the second screen, you just need to set up Cemu to fake a pro controller and not a Gamepad.

Correct. The only thing you really lose out on without the gamepad/tv interaction is being able to access your inventory without opening the menu.

CEMU also has graphics-packs that do things like lower the bloom and add some additional color (WW:HD can be washed out looking sometimes).

The bloom update is a god-send and makes the game look much more pleasant. The color thing is more hit and miss, some areas end up looking overly saturated.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 27, 2022

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Wonderful 101 is on the docket for me as well.

And Captain Toad

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

All I know is I can play Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD on the deck, and can't on the switch.

Keep winning, gaben

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

DrWrestling69 posted:

The vent does smell nice

It's confirmed to take 5 years off your life per sniff just to let you know.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

X-O posted:

The one on reddit called like "Handheld History" is great. I put that one on mine. It cycles through several handheld systems and then directly into the home screen with a cool transition.

Looked this up, it is really cool!

https://v.redd.it/0zok44x7ccr91

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just picked up Little Nightmares 2 for a spooky bedtime game. Seems like a perfect fit for the deck.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Easiest thing in the world. Just search the game you want followed by the word ROM on any search engine.

Don't do this. Use Vimm's or the reddit megathread.

There are other places you can get roms obvi but you'll be dealing with ads and painfully slow dl speeds.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just finished up The Simpsons: Hit and Run. That last mission to deliver toxic waste to the alien mothership is a real doozie, although I randomly ended up finishing with like 20 seconds to spare after trying and failing 10 times last night.

Game holds up super well. The loop is simple, sometimes to a fault, but the cartoony physics mixed with a charming open-world still stands out as a unique experience even in the decades since it came out.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Cowman posted:

some absolute madman is working on a solo remaster of that and it looks legit good

https://gamerant.com/the-simpsons-hit-and-run-remastered-mod-update/

It's a cool project but I'm pretty sure he's said he has no intention of ever releasing it to the public :/

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

why the hell wouldn’t they?

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/the-simpsons-hit-and-run-fan-remaster-remake-open-world-multiplayer/

"It's a pretty ambitious project, but reubs has stated that it's being made purely for entertainment purposes and won't actually ever be made available to the public."

I think they just don't want to mess with the potential legal headaches.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Steam is getting a bit hammered now. Probably best to wait a little bit.

It's kind of crazy that there is this much interest for peripheral hardware for a niche tech product. Valve finally hit big on the physical side with the deck it would seem.

At the moment the dock url (steamdeck.com/dock) just redirects to the main steamdeck page so yeah they're probably trying to manage things on their end atm.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yakuza 0 kicks rear end and I think the deck would be a great way to experience it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Anyone been messing with pcsx2 settings? Simpsons Hit and Run ran great but ssx3 and mgs3 are struggling big time.

In researching this stuff it sounds like mgs3 is just tough to emulate so that one might be a lost cause. The gameplay runs fine but the cutscenes are in slow-mo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

If anyone is looking for a good Halloween game to play, DUSK is great on the deck. The sound design and visuals are awesome. It's designed with M+KB in mind, but playing on default difficulty has been totally fine in that regard. They've also made some good updates for controller users (such as adding a weapon wheel).

Also planning on giving Silent Hill 2 a spin for the first time.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I am following the MGS discussion with great interest. I played most of MGS2 on xbox (said xbox is long gone) so I can do without replaying that. I've never played 3 though.

I did a little research on getting the 3DS version's fps up, but nothing concrete just yet.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I ordered the official dock on Steam three days ago and it still hasn't shipped. Are they not shipping for a while?

Took about a week for me.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

To ship or to arrive?

Ship. Looks like I ordered it on Friday so a bit less than that actually.

Spent the last couple hours trying to get the pc version of SH2 Director's Cut to work on deck. First method I tried was a bust, but there's a second one that seems more promising. Determined to get this poo poo working today so I can enjoy it during spooky season.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Finally got Silent Hill 2 Enhanced Edition working last night. Ended up being a bit of a pain in the rear end but I'm glad I did it. Sitting in bed with my headphones last night with it was very absorbing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/silenthill/comments/wzurx1/the_definitive_guide_to_setting_up_silent_hill_14/

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Sat out on my porch yesterday evening with a mug of tea and Silent Hill 2. This thing owns.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Animal posted:

I installed EmuDeck and that seemed easy enough. However, sourcing the ROMs and BIOS seems like a pain in the rear end and I gave up.

Getting roms is super easy and most of the emulators don't actually require bios.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Anyone have good experiences with Game Pass on deck, either running windows or streaming? I tried streaming last night to play Grounded with some friends and, while it had less latency than I expected, the game looked like muddy garbage and I ultimately ended up switching over to my PC.

I do have a dock, so I'm considering hard-wiring it and seeing if that improves things.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 18, 2022

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Ojetor posted:

I just got my deck a few days ago, one of the first things I did was setup windows on an SD card for Game Pass. Takes a bit (around 1 min) to boot into windows but once you're in it runs well. Games are similar. Load times are a bit longer than I'm used to from SSDs, but not long enough to be annoying.

As for Grounded specifically: It takes like 30 seconds to load into the game. Once in there's a lot of stuttering when looking around, but that fades fairly quickly, maybe 20 seconds. I'm guessing assets are still being streamed once the load screen ends, that's fairly typical for open world games. After that initial stuttering, the game works great, with very sporadic stuttering when it loads something new. I also noticed some graphical glitches when looking at very far away stuff. The Hedge looks super blocky and has some pieces missing when I look at it from my base at the Oak, for example. I'm not sure if that's an actual glitch or just a performance saving measure of the Low graphics setting. In the end it's all very minor quibbles, the game is perfectly playable and looks great even on Low. Cloud saves means I can seamlessly transition between playing on my PC and on the Deck, which is very nice.

Thanks I'm gonna look into going that route. May as well have the option to get some more use out of my sub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lockback posted:

Are you using 2.4GHZ or a 5GHZ? 2.4 is probably not enough bandwidth for deck streaming. I'd also try turning off wireless power management in developer mode.

That was a good question and I just recently got new internet through Xfinity so I went and checked. Turns out with my setup they "automatically determine whether to use 2.4 or 5" and there's no way to manually set it.

Which is an extremely gross thing to see.