Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

iirc early suspend/resume on the PS4 was also hacky and there were games that did not play well with it (like Bloodborne before it got patched). But that also means you can implement it at the OS level and still get pretty good results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

repiv posted:

The IGN people were playing from SD card but they never commented on or showed the load times as far as I can remember

I'm sure playing games from SD will be adequate, just not ideal

The read speed is what it is, and that information is out there. Games aren’t going to magic something up to make an SD card better.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I did my order within two hours of them going live and am at Q2 2022. Doesn’t seem to be any trend.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rinkles posted:

bit hard to judge the capabilities when there's no framerate estimates.

Linus did that for Doom: Eternal in his video, and compared it to the Aya Neo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

luckily all the switch games you'd want to emulate are available on the wii u

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Even Nintendo games chug and noticeably drop their resolutions lower than 720p in handheld mode

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

LOL I was just about to post that this video's gonna get taken down soon for breaching some sort of NDA.

...then I saw that it's Valve's official YouTube channel. Holy poo poo, good on them.

That's the first time I've heard someone say that unscrewing a case damages the structural integrity of said case

Is it because of stuff like not torquing the screws to spec when reassembling?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

maybe it feels better in the hand, it just seems like that design would gently caress up the claw grips that a lot of people use to use stick+face buttons simultaniously

Do a lot of people really do that

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm not sure a lot of people claw grip their controllers. It looks horribly uncomfortable

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i couldn't tell you which consoles I have that go A B and which go B A

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Playstation buttons only have two letters on them which makes it even more confusing

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Streaming sucks and streaming over wifi particularly sucks so I wouldn't move myself to the back of the queue over that

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kinda cooling off just thinking I could hold my laptop up to my face instead

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

repiv posted:

classic linus due diligence

He showed it on the Deck at the same time as another handheld, with the other one not exhibiting the issue (according to his staff; I couldn't tell from the video)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cool. Their picture guides are great and infinitely preferable to a way-too-long YouTube video 99% of the time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I’d probably leave the deck at home but what do I know.

Having spent many days staying with my wife in the hospital it really helps to have stuff to keep everyone occupied, and for the support to know when to be there for their partner and when to back off and let them chill for a while.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

grieving for Gandalf posted:

gaming is a fun hobby but if you're bringing your adult game boy to the birth of your child, you have a problem hth

:goonsay:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ColdPie posted:

Hospitals are like the most boring places on Earth. I spent 3 days in a hospital when I was a teenager, newly diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. They wheeled in a TV with an N64 and a few games. Played lots of Excitebike 64.

I spent two months in one with my wife in 2019. It’s a lot easier now with Wi-Fi, laptops, streaming, etc. I even did most of a master’s class while I was there, leaving only to take care of the dogs and sleep at home.

Goons trying to “own” people who are going through this are sad but I guess I should be happy they haven’t had to spend a large amount of time sitting in a hospital room. Labor won’t take two months but it can take several days and you have to keep everyone occupied so they don’t hassle the nurses or go stir crazy.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 13, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just checked my wishlist and it looks like I got bumped from Q2 to Q3. That’s really frustrating since I busted my rear end to get that order in like 10 minutes after they went live. Oh well, maybe I’ll get a newer hardware revision (or some shittier version after they put in an order for more-available parts).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Game streaming sucks royal rear end even on my fancy WiFi 6 mesh setup at home, forget about some janky lowest-bidder hospital network

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ja2ke posted:

Has anyone got a before and after screenshot of going from Q2 to Q3? (As opposed to going from “After Q2” to “Q3” which is going from the same thing to a more detailed version of the same thing, but the presence of “Q2” in the first description short circuited a lot of optimistic brains who started ignoring the word “after” before it.)

I’m under the impression that nobody slid backwards in the schedule, the dates just got more clear, but if there is some real screenshot proof of a backslide happening I’d appreciate it.

It said in Q2 and now it says in Q3

Sorry I don’t have a screenshot. I could be lying.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CerealKilla420 posted:

I also got bumped to Q3 (I'm in North American - US)

I have made up my mind though - I'm getting the deck no matter what.

Don't understand why everyone seems so disappointed.

Disappointed in what? Having to wait at least 3 months longer than expected? That should be easy to understand.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CerealKilla420 posted:

Disappointed in the hardware...

Not sure I've seen that? This thread has been pretty good about setting expectations appropriately so nobody thinks they're getting an Ultra-detail Cyberpunk raytracing machine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

heavy, buggy

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The amount of videos I've seen where people crank every detail setting to max and then complain that the Deck performs poorly leads me to the natural conclusion that internet people are dumb as gently caress.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's an automated process if you're under the 2-hour threshold in the US

Your account might be flagged for review if you do it a lot but it doesn't seem like they're doing anything about it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Valve Steam Deck posted:

Steam Deck compared to the Switch... and Aya Neo... plus a serious case of thumbnail face (there's an extension for that)

Surprise, it comes out ahead of both

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1riWhD1wz4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc7d1iU7SVI

Steam deck sucked my dick!!!????

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bluetooth headsets tend to have a lot more lag in games than a single frame. Most of the console/PC wireless headsets use a 2.4ghz dongle.

The low-latency Bluetooth tech seems promising but is still pretty cutting edge.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A lot of headphones don’t, though. I don’t think AirPods/AirPods Pro do.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Did you both order the same model?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Bramble posted:

Are there such things as quality earbuds one could with the Deck so as not to look like a complete dork on the train while using this? What are people using for audio with this in general?

Please help me find headphones that won't make me look like a dork using my 7-feet-wide handheld device on the commuter train

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Going about it the wrong way, darling. Get you big rear end headphones and also lug around a DAC/amp as well. Preferably something with vacuum tubes and one of those insane audio crystals

Yeah this is the kind of thing where it only makes sense to lean into it and wear giant anime headphones

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Butt Frenzy posted:

My US 512 GB just went from 73% to getting my email today! Excited for my Vampires Survivors machine.

Mine just popped too; I think I was at 86%.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

It's so weird to me that even as Apple's popularity has exploded since the mid 00s there has never been a push to make Mac more of a viable platform for gaming. I mean, you can just run bootcamp and play games on that way pretty easily, but it's not like Apple is this niche brand like it was in the 80's and 90's, but you can still spend $1-3000 on an apple computer that is perfectly capable of playing any game you want. You just can't because 90% of devs just don't bother with OSX support.

Many, many games have MacOS support. I think out of my library of 1400 around 700 had ports. They varied in quality, with most being cheap platform-target-drop down jobs that took a huge performance hit compared to Windows, but for games made in the last few years it felt rare to encounter one that wouldn’t work.

All that went out the window with the introduction of Apple silicon, though.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 5, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is it going to look weird or defeat the purpose of the etched glass if I put a screen protector on my 512 GB model?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Haven't felt cringe like that since those stories of service members going on deployment and having offline mode fail.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Buddy I haven’t even figured out where to put the gasoline much less read how much I have left

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just got mine in. I get a plasticky clicking sound when pressing down or left on the left trackpad. Is this common? The functionality and haptics seem fine otherwise.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

forest spirit posted:

It's easy enough to open it and have a peek at the sticks, yeah?

Ok it wasn't too bad to tear it down to the touchpad following this guide: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Steam+Deck+Left+Button+Board+Replacement/148931

I just unscrewed it, fiddled with the position a bit, and screwed it back in. No plastic clicks now. I think it had something to do with the ribbon cable underneath the trackpad being pressed onto the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do you get GZDoom controlling properly? I got it and ZDL to start up fine but none of the community layouts seem to do anything but give me a gyro-controlled mouse cursor. The DPad, sticks and buttons don't do anything.

Edit: Oh they were just made by crazy people. I made my own and published it at "GZDoom for Steam Deck." It'll be a work in progress for a bit.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 10, 2022