Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I have almost zero use for this but want one anyway. Also makes me reluctant to buy, say, Doom for Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

This would probably be amazing for running Dolphin. And the superior PC version of super Mario 64, lol.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

flavor.flv posted:

That is absolutely a lie, because there are several manufacturers already producing pc-based handhelds and this is going to destroy all of them

Whatever happened with the Alienware switch?

I saw that in person at CES 2020 right before the world ended (probably got Corona also)

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm pretty sure "painful" means they're taking a loss on it. They're probably breaking even with the 256 GB model, so you can extrapolate from there.

I figured painful meant what they had to sacrifice to get the base model to $399 (to sell at cost). Like how the PowerGlove was originally much better then Mattel forced them to make it for like 10% of the original BOM.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The only thing sacrificed in the base model is the SSD.

"Painful" I'm sure refers to the negotiations they had with their suppliers, namely AMD. Part of those negotiations almost certainly assumes a loss on Valve's part.

Yes, but to get the base model to that price involves other sacrifices across the board

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

repiv posted:

I wonder if they intend to sell many 64GB models or if it's just there for the "starting at 400 bux" factor

It's extremely limiting, and you're stuck with slow SD cards for expansion unless you do m.2 surgery

The 64gb slow model has "White 8GB Wii U" vibes. More easily upgradable storage would have mitigated that a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

I don't disagree with you about their (no doubt intense) negotiations with AMD. I just read it as Valve expressing that it was painful to get it to sell at or around cost, not at a loss. I'm sure there were many hard decisions that had to be made, not saying the device is lovely (it seems neat and I want one). In the same interview he afterwards mentions that they don't have a calculus around counting on attach rate (to make up for a theoretical loss).

And while storage in the base model is the "only" thing different, that's also a pretty big thing. The entire existence of a 64GB slow storage SKU is an example of a "painful" decision, and it's so meagre to the point of being comparable to the White Wii U, or the later models of iPhone 16GB, where you eventually couldn't even have enough space to do OS upgrades. How many Steam games right off the bat are incompatible with that model because they require more space?